corey07850

Quick NJ Vehicle Inspection Question

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:05 am

For all of you fellow NJ guys (or anyone else in the know):

I live in NJ but have been at school for the last 3 years, so when I bought a new car I registered it in FL for cheaper insurance and lack of inspection...

Now that I'm done with school I transferred the vehicle to NJ and have to have it inspected... I'm curious if my car will fail because it doesn't have a front license plate. In FL, front plates aren't required so they don't even put front plate brackets on the car. I've got the bracket ordered, but it won't be in before the car is inspected tomorrow... Just curious if they will fail me for this or not?

Cadet57

RE: Quick NJ Vehicle Inspection Question

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:09 am

if it has holes for the screws just put the plate on like that til the bracket comes. or throw it on the front dash. Does the car still have FL plates or Jersey ones now?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

corey07850

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:13 am

It has Jersey plates... It doesn't have any holes or anything for the plate up front. It's a Mazda3 so the way the bumper is shaped (curved) there's no way to mount a plate unless there is a bracket attached to provide a flat surface for the plate to mount...

It's certainly going to ruin the nice look of the front bumper now

Edit: I was planning on just putting the front plate on the dash, but knowing NJ that won't be good enough, even if you tell them the bracket has been ordered

[Edited 2006-08-14 02:14:08]

MigFan

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:19 am

In NJ, you have to have the front plate. I am 99.9% sure you could get one from a Mazda dealer. The plate in the window will get you pulled over in some townships.

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

corey07850

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:29 am

Quoting Migfan (Reply 3):
In NJ, you have to have the front plate. I am 99.9% sure you could get one from a Mazda dealer. The plate in the window will get you pulled over in some townships.

I know I have to have front plates, and yes, I know the dealers have them. The dealers charge $48 for one, so I called the dealer in FL and made them buy me one since it's something that should have been included with the car. It just hasn't come in yet...

BigOrange

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:53 am

Can you not drive on the FL plates until the bracket comes?

It's amazing what you can get away with in NJ. I know someone who drives without a front plate, due to her a**hole ex being a cop and would have her pulled if he saw the license plate.

She drives daily through one of the most notorious Princeton suburbs for cops handing out tickets and never gets pulled. This for a police department that hands out tickets for a rear view mirror hanging loose, which gets thrown out of court!

ltbewr

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:06 pm

Could you delay the date of the inspection? Don't you have until the end of the month to do it? If you just get the plates on the day of the inspection, you may be allowed you to attach them later. When I went for inspection back in January, they allowed a NYS plated vehicle through apparently, although they may have rejected them pending the change in the plates. Then you would have to return and go to the exit area of the station within a set number of days (14?) with the new plates installed. Go to the NJDMV website (google it) for further info.

corey07850

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:21 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 6):

No I have 14 days from the time I registered it in NJ, which will be this week... Tomorrow being the only time I can do it... I'll just explain to them the situation and if they fail me so be it... Worst they'll do is make me fix the problem and come back, better than not having it inspected within the 14 days and getting ticketed for that.

I checked the NJDMV site for detailed information on what they inspect and all it said were things like emissions, horn, brakes/suspension, lights, wipers, etc... Mainly safety related and emissions issues so I don't think a missing front plate will be that big of a deal

L-188

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:44 pm

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 7):
Mainly safety related and emissions issues so I don't think a missing front plate will be that big of a deal

I have not had to deal with car inspections period and have never set foot in New Jersey.

However.

My advise would be to make sure that you are carrying the order confirmation from the dealer in FL to show the cops or inspector that it is in fact on order.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Go3Team

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:22 am

Not knowing the layout of the front of your car, ziptie the plate to the grill or bumper, it might not look good, but it should get you thru the inspection, unless they are really anal about how the plate is mounted as well. Here in VA we are required to display front tags, but it is not listed in the inspection manual, and therefore is not grounds for rejection. It is a safety inspection, and having plates or not have nothing to do with safety.
Yay Pudding!

corey07850

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:48 am

Thanks for the tips guys... Had it inspected this morning and passed without question... All that worrying for nothing

Jpax

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:55 am

Nobody else mentioned this, but good luck! You'll need all of it that you can get for your adventures at DMV.  banghead