Marcus
Topic Author

Cars Not Sold In The Us That Might Work There

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:17 am

For those of us who are involved in the automotive industry we know that in the past few years the US car market for large cars and SUV's has shrunk, while the one for small, hybrid, crossover and more fuel efficient vehicles has increased at the expense of the first.

The Detroit based automakers are the ones that have been hit the most by this change, while the Asian manufacturers have benefited the most......the irony in this is that US automakers have very good small vehicles that are NOT sold in the US but are sold in "overseas" markets.

Enclosed please find a list of vehicles from Ford and GM that in my opinion might work in the US with current shift in consumer behaviour........

Ford EcoSport.............cute ute that starts at $16,000

Ford Fiesta sedan..........one market segment below the Focus

http://www.ford.com.mx/Photos/FORD/FIS/2006/EXT/6BIG.jpg

Ford Mondeo............could have been a good replacement about 5 years ago to the Taurus while the Fusion was being developed.

http://www.ford.com.mx/photos/ford/MON/2006/wal/800x600/3.jpg

Opel Astra....Opel in Europe, Holden in Australia, Chevy in Latin America.....this is rumored to be the replacement of the Saturn Ion in the US

Opel Zafira..............an MPV (minivan) smaller than the current ones sold in the US, think of the Mazda MPV in terms of size

Opel Corsa.........compact vehicle, in size like the MINI.

Opel Antara...............crossover

[Edited 2006-08-14 20:51:16]
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

ThePRGuy

RE: Cars Not Sold In The Us That Might Work There

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:30 am

Are you a Ford marketing man?  Smile
How funny
Thanks
PR
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

falstaff

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:36 am

I drove a ford something or another that was a sedan/minivan thing that was for the European market a few years ago. It had no badges on it so and we were not told what it was. It had a small diesel engine and a manual shift. I thought it was cool. I would consider buying one if I could. That Modeo looks a lot like a Mercury Milan.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

A332

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:38 am

One of the big automakers needs to make a vehicle that is super fuel efficient whilst giving off a loud V8 gas-guzzling rumble... so that people who need to buy their penis can still feel adequate.

Something that gives the illusion it is large and powerful... looks like a poser-mobile... and is economical!

That's what the US needs... us in Canada too...  Wink
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

Jayce

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:39 am

Quoting Marcus (Thread starter):
Cars Not Sold In The Us That Might Work There

How about a fully electric car?  Silly
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

srbmod

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:43 am

Holden Ute. Rebadge it as a Chevy El Camino.

falstaff

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting Jayce (Reply 4):
How about a fully electric car?

GM tried it, it was called and EV1. It was a dud. It was only leased in Southern California and Arizona. The climate conditions there were good for it. When the leases were up GM took all the cars back. Some customers tried to sue GM for the right to buy the cars after the lease ended(which you can due in a regular lease). They lost. GM got the cars back. They claimed that if people still had them they would have to support them with parts, technicians, etc.

desertjets

Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:02 am

I am not really convinced that there is enough demand in the sub-compact is big enough to warrant every major automaker having a product available in North America. With as inexpensive as a Focus gets these days, there wouldn't be enough of a price advantage to get people into a Fiesta... and the margins on them would likely be tight. If Ford couldn't sell enough of them, the costs of federalizing them would be prohibitive.

The 1st generation Mondeo was too small for the US market, and sales of the Contour/Mystique suffered as such. Also I think the final execution of the product left a bit to be desired... with the exception of the SVT version. I don't know how big the 2nd gen Mondeo is, especially in comparison the newer Mazda6 based vehicles (Fusion/Milan). But most folks at Ford now agree that they neglected the passenger car market pretty badly.... IMHO Ford should have been able to develop a suitable midsized car for the North American market on the Mondeo MkII platform.

As for the Astra, it will be replacing the Ion in 2008, IIRC. But the current Astra/Cobalt/Ion/Pursuit all share the same platform. Its just some of them are executed better than others.

And the Zafria. I think as long as minivans carry the stigma that they do, a smaller MPV will not sell well. Mazda took a risk and brought the Mazda5 to the US. Obviously it won't sell in huge numbers, but I am not certain if it is even meeting its sales projections.

In the end as nice as some of that product might seem, there are considerable costs involved in federalizing/certifying cars for sale in the US. And when it comes to low volume/low margin cars (like many compact and subcompacts) the business case for them is pretty poor.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Marcus
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:05 am

I have updated the original post with new vehicles.............in the meantime here is the Ford Ranger made in Thailand

Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

MYT332

Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:11 am

Opel Astra....Opel in Europe, Holden in Australia, Chevy in Latin America.....

Vauxhall in the UK!
One Life, Live it.

deltagator

Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:21 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 5):

You beat me to it. I'm going down there in a couple of weeks and I would love to bring one back home...alas, I don't have the cash sitting around to buy one though.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

BA787

Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:36 am

Might I point out that we get every single one of those cars in the U.k in various forms, not salloons as we don't like em.

Tom

ThePRGuy

Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:54 am

That would work
It even looks el camino-ish...
Alex

buck3y3nut

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:00 am

I like the Opel Astra. Used to drive the sedan in India when I was 14 yrs old. and I definately did not have a lisence.  Smile

ltbewr

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:04 am

The Honda Fit (Jazz elsewhere), the Toyota Yaris and a Nissan model of the same size class and all made in or for the EC markets are now available in the USA. They are selling quite well (my brother just got a Fit) probably due the $3.00+ gasoline prices, long commutes to jobs encouraging better MPG and relatively cheap prices, in the $12,000-16,000 range. The Civic, Corolla and Stanza all moved up in size over the years and price ranges ($17-20,000), leaving a gap at the smallest USA market classes.
GM markets the Chevy Avro, a S. Korean made ex-Daewoo based model for their low end car, selling for $11,000 - 14,000 range. Ford gave up the small class in the USA, with the Focus their smallest model. One can get one for $14-18,000 after rebates.
Cars for the USA market tend to be wider, longer, 95% with auto transmissions and with larger engines than EC/Japanese cars. Toyota, Honda and Nissan make models in North America that are quite different than those of the same model name elsewhere. Our pollution and safety standards are generally stricter than the EC and Japan, limiting some models that would be considered.
I am quite sure the new high tech diesel engines in EC cars including BMW, M-B, Audi, etc would be highly welcomed here, but our increasing diesel pollution standards for cars will keep them out.
Now if Nissan could make the Skyline model for the USA market....

looneytoon

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:22 am

Are you kidding? Who would buy an SUV based on the Ford Fiesta that has a maximun power option of 1.8 liter 4 cylinder? Or you can go for the 1.0 liter version.

Now that is a good idea! Big grin
LooneyToon

deltagator

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:26 am

That Holden Ute comes with a 6.0L V8 engine. Most definitely not a gas sipper but it sounds great rumbling down the street. I'm going to check out a Holden dealer when I'm in Sydney in a couple of weeks just to enquire about what it would take to get one back to the States. I'm either getting it or an old 1973 El Camino SS.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

photopilot

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:50 am

we know that in the past few years the US car market for large cars and SUV's has shrunk, while the one for small, hybrid, crossover and more fuel efficient vehicles has increased at the expense of the first.

The Detroit based automakers are the ones that have been hit the most by this change, while the Asian manufacturers have benefited the most......

Isn't this EXACTLY what happened in the 70's during the first oil shock with prices. Only then it was big American V8 muscle cars and full sized sedans. So now it's SUV's. The 70's gave the foreign car manufacturers a chance to showcase what their technology and cars could do and the North American buying public bought foreign cars in droves. And the Honda's, Toyota's, Nissan's, VW's have never stopped since.

You want me to feel sorry for the American auto manufacturers or consumers. Not a chance. They brought it on themselves by shortsighted profit plans that didn't look to the future.

BTW, I drive a Toyota.... built right here in Canada. Great car, great gas mileage, and its my 4th import in a row. I'll NEVER go back to GM, FORD, or Chrysler.

Oh, and as to cars that are not sold in the USA that would give the planet a chance, how about the Mercedes Smart Car.
http://www.mcuniverse.com/The_Smart_Car_Comes_to_Canada.1325.0.html

Or as a convertible Smart.

[Edited 2006-08-15 02:55:30]

ThePRGuy

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:00 am

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 17):

No no no!!
The smart cars are little horrors
clogging up the road with their stupid looks and slowness.
May they all be crushed!! Or burnt to the ground or whatever.....
Thanks
PR

Coal

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:19 am

Oh, and as to cars that are not sold in the USA that would give the planet a chance, how about the Mercedes Smart Car.

AFAIK The decision was already taken to bring them in next year.

As far as the original post goes, all those cars, especially the Mondeo and the Astra, would be too costly to produce at their quality level for them to be sold here in the US.

Why do you think Ford, GM, etc have such nice cars (esp. the interiors) in Europe and have such crap here in the US?

Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

falstaff

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:17 am

I drove a couple of Smarts in 2004 at the Mercedes-Benz Club of America's national convention (StarFest). I liked both of them. I drove the regular model that you show and a low to the ground sporty model that reminded me of a Porsche 914. It was not all that fast, but it wasn't slow compared to some of the lumbering sedans I have owned. I have seen the a Smart or two around Windsor, Ontario. I think it would be a great little car to take back and forth to work.

JAGflyer

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:20 am

All those vehicles have names that wouldn't fly in the US. Who would want a Fiesta when you can get a Focus?
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

AsstChiefMark

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:35 am

Ford Mondeo

It was sold here under the Contour name from 1995 to 2000. The current equivalents are the Fusion and the Ford 500:

Quoting Marcus (Reply 8):
in the meantime here is the Ford Ranger made in Thailand

The Explorer Sport Trac fills that market.

Mark

[Edited 2006-08-15 04:39:07]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

TheRedBaron

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:46 am

At $5 a gallon any sub 2 litercar would look perfect....

Not there yet.... but will be in time
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

columba

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 19):
AFAIK The decision was already taken to bring them in next year.

It will be the next generation of the Smart Car that will come to the States.

I have also read that Alfa Romeo and Peugeot will try a comeback on the American market.
Peugeot is the world´s greatest manufacturer of Diesel powered cars.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

Pulkovokiwi

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:16 pm

Australian Ford Territory
Fiat Punto & Panda
Renault
Peugeot
I thought I was wrong but I was only joking!

LOT767-300ER

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:50 pm

Quoting Columba (Reply 24):
I have also read that Alfa Romeo and Peugeot will try a comeback on the American market.
Peugeot is the world´s greatest manufacturer of Diesel powered cars.

Alfa is coming back in 2007, Not Peugeot. Look on their website for United States and it says "Peugeot has no plans of coming back to the USA"

MAH4546

Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:32 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 7):
Mazda took a risk and brought the Mazda5 to the US. Obviously it won't sell in huge numbers, but I am not certain if it is even meeting its sales projections.

The Mazda5 far exceeded what anybody at Mazda thought. They are on track to sell 30% more than they were planning to. Kia paid attention, they are bringing the similar Carens to the US this fall (it will be called the Rondo in the US). Mazda was optimistically hoping for annual sales in the 12-15,000 range. They have already sold 16,112. It outsell's Mazda's own MPV, not to mention the larger minivans from Pontiac, Saturn, Buick, and Mercury. In Canada, where they love minivans and small cars (and the Dodge Caravan and Mazda3 are among the nation's three best selling cars), it has sold more than double what they were planning.

Verging off-topic, but it is always amazing to look at how similar the US and Canadian markets are, yet how different they are. In Canada, the Ford Freestar outsells the Ford Explorer. The Chevrolet Uplander outsells the Chevrolet TrailBlazer (by a rate of more than 3:1). GMC usually outsells the counterparts at Chevrolet (i.e. the Sierra outsells the Silverado; the Envoy outsells the TrailBlazer, etc). Despite it's love for minivans, nobody buys the Chrysler Town & Country (second best-selling minivan in the US; worst selling minivan in Canada). They love the Pontiac Montana SV6 (which is why it is still being sold there, even though '06 is the last year for the US). Honda Civic sales are nearly triple Honda Accord sales. The Ford F-Series barely outsells the Dodge Caravan. The Audi A3 outsells the Audi A6. The Toyota ECHO/Yaris, Corolla, and Matrix all outsell the Toyota Camry. And if you combine sales of all four of Toyota's SUVs, the Toyota Sienna still outsells them. The best selling vehicle was still the Ford F-Series, but this was followed by the Honda Civic, Dodge Caravan, and Mazda3.

Opel Astra....Opel in Europe, Holden in Australia, Chevy in Latin America.....this is rumored to be the replacement of the Saturn Ion in the US

It is not a rumour. Starting summer 2007, Saturn will import the Opel Astra from Belgium to the US, unchanged. No word on what bodystyles, but it was actually confirmed today. Saturn has not decided if they will keep the Astra name. ION production ends March 2007. The "Saturn ASTRA" will debut at the Detroit show in January. It will be unchanged other than the bumpers, which will need to be adjusted to US standards.

Ford was planning on importing the EcoSport to the US starting this year, but it was too expensive to adapt to US tastes. The car is very basic with a harsh ride for the rough roads and terrain in Brazil, the market it was designed for.

Sales start in January 2008.

Quoting Columba (Reply 24):

Alfa Romeo is coming back to the US market, they announced it about two months ago. They will be sold through Maserati's dealer network.

[Edited 2006-08-15 09:36:13]

[Edited 2006-08-15 09:58:12]
a.

melpax

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:43 pm

The new Holden Commodore would do well

Also the Ford Territoty - they've just released a turbo version (4 litre 6cyl 245kw)

Essendon - Whatever it takes......

Alessandro

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:34 pm

Well Nissan is owned by Renault, so I think Renault could sell in Nissan dealerships already established in the US.
As for PSA Peugeot and Citroen, no I dont think they will.

[Edited 2006-08-15 11:35:07]
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Marcus
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:44 am

The first generation Mondeo shared the same platform, underpinings and most of the sheetmetal with the Contour/Mystique cars sold in the US, the current second generation Mondeo is the one included in the original post......it is bigger than the first generation so I think this would have made a good replacement for the Taurus.......now take a look at this Iosis concept, this is supposed the basis for the new Mondeo.

MAH4546

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:11 am

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 29):
Well Nissan is owned by Renault, so I think Renault could sell in Nissan dealerships already established in the US.

They already are starting. The Renault Clio sedan will be sold at Nissan dealers as the Nissan Versa sedan starting in the fall. It is just odd that of all the Renault's, the one Nissan is selling in the US is a compact sedan developed for developing markets like Turkey and Mexico.
a.

AirPacific747

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 26):
Alfa is coming back in 2007, Not Peugeot. Look on their website for United States and it says "Peugeot has no plans of coming back to the USA"

Lucky you! I wish they had plans to stop selling cars here  Sad

AsstChiefMark

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:04 am

I wonder why Ford and GM haven't marketed their UTE's here in the USA. Holden and Ford both make beautiful UTE's, especially the high-performance versions.

FORD

260kW 5.4L DOHC 4V V8 engine, dual exhaust, six-speed manual transmission or 6-speed automatic transmission with Sequential Sports Shift.  drool 

HOLDEN

260kW 6.0 litre Generation 4 V8 engine  eek 

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

vivek0072

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:11 am

The Merc A class , Ford Mondeo. NIssan Skyline GTR. Audi A3 , BMW 1 series.
That life's most failures were people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up. - Edison.

AsstChiefMark

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:58 am

Quoting Vivek0072 (Reply 34):
The Merc A class

Would be nice.

Ford Mondeo

Was sold in the USA as the Ford Contour. Discontinued in 2000.

NIssan Skyline

Sold in the USA as the Infinity G35

BMW 1 series

Sales to start in the USA this year.

Mark

MAH4546

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:12 am

The Merc A class , Ford Mondeo. NIssan Skyline GTR. Audi A3 , BMW 1 series.

Nissan Skyline is sold in the US as the Infinti G35; Audi A3 is sold in the USA (but 5-door only, no 3-door); BMW 1-Series coming in 2008. No A-Class, but Americans can buy a used B-Class in Canada and bring it over.
a.

N1120A

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:44 pm

Ford Mondeo............could have been a good replacement about 5 years ago to the Taurus while the Fusion was being developed.

A lower quality version of the Mk.1 Mondeo was sold as the Contour/Mystique in the US. It suffered from detuning (except the SVT version) and the fact that most cars in the US are sold with automatic transmissions, and Ford can't make a FWD version of one to save their life. Manual transmission Contours are significantly better cars.

Not really a rumor anymore. Saturn is essentially being turned into Opal USA

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 7):
The 1st generation Mondeo was too small for the US market, and sales of the Contour/Mystique suffered as such. Also I think the final execution of the product left a bit to be desired... with the exception of the SVT version.

Size really wasn't the issue, as cars that size have actually done rather well over time. The main issue was intra-brand competition (people would be swaped onto the Taurus or Escort at the dealer depending on their needs) and the fact that, as I said above, the automatic transmission versions of the car were absolute piles of dog turd.

Quoting Ltbewr (Reply 14):
The Civic, Corolla and Stanza

The Stanza hasn't existed in the US in over a decade, having long since been replaced by the Altima. I think you mean the Sentra.

Quoting Ltbewr (Reply 14):
I am quite sure the new high tech diesel engines in EC cars including BMW, M-B, Audi, etc would be highly welcomed here, but our increasing diesel pollution standards for cars will keep them out.

Pollution standards should have nothing to do with it. Having seen some of the emissions numbers for EU diesels, they fall well within even California guidelines. The main issue is the availability of low sulphur diesel because of slow conversion by oil companies and the lack of incentive for manufacturers to sell diesels.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 27):
Alfa Romeo is coming back to the US market, they announced it about two months ago. They will be sold through Maserati's dealer network.

Which means, for all intents and purposes, they will be sold through the Ferrari dealer network, which should make for interesting marketing.

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 29):

After the AMC fiasco, Renault will likely never return to the US market. They have, instead, used the Nissan name to market their best technology in the US.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

IL76

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:10 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 3):
One of the big automakers needs to make a vehicle that is super fuel efficient whilst giving off a loud V8 gas-guzzling rumble... so that people who need to buy their penis can still feel adequate.

Good idea... It's all about bling anyway, that's probably why sensible cars don't work in the USA. And the cars mentioned above are probably too small for the average American. duck   Wink
I guess they'll have to change one day when the fuelprices rise even further. Soon every Chinese family can become the proud owner of a car because of their economic growth and will ask for their piece of the (fuel-)pie. And with the crisis in the Middle East continueing with no ending in sight, suddenly a Ford Fiesta sounds very attractive...  twocents 

JJJ

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:15 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 37):
Which means, for all intents and purposes, they will be sold through the Ferrari dealer network, which should make for interesting marketing

Just two models will be sold in the first wave, 159 and Brera, but probably will just keep the 3.2 V6 (partly GM-sourced) and add another engine choice between the 2.0 and 3.2 range.

The 3rd model will probably be the 8C competizione so the 159 will be the only mass-market model of Alfa in America, for quite some time at least.

I know quite a lot of Italian-Americans who can't wait to get an Alfa again  Smile

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 31):
They already are starting. The Renault Clio sedan will be sold at Nissan dealers as the Nissan Versa sedan starting in the fall. It is just odd that of all the Renault's, the one Nissan is selling in the US is a compact sedan developed for developing markets like Turkey and Mexico.

So maybe the Dacia Logan will follow, it's even cheaper Big grin (sells new for right under 6.000 euro in Romania)

MAH4546

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:49 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 39):

Just two models will be sold in the first wave, 159 and Brera, but probably will just keep the 3.2 V6 (partly GM-sourced) and add another engine choice between the 2.0 and 3.2 range.

They will sell four models - 159, Brera, Spider, and Coupe GT.

Quoting JJJ (Reply 39):

The 3rd model will probably be the 8C competizione so the 159 will be the only mass-market model of Alfa in America, for quite some time at least.

The 8C Competizione will be sold first. US sales start in 2008. The rest of the models will come 18-24 months later.
a.

Marcus
Topic Author

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:18 am

"new" Saturn Aura

Opel Vectra

But it does happen the other way arround

Saturn Sky
http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/ima...374415216828.JPG?0.70562459610745>

Opel GT

JJJ

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:33 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 40):
They will sell four models - 159, Brera, Spider, and Coupe GT

Well, the Brera and Spider are the same model, didn't know about the GT.