already 171 posts...

so here is PART #2

WILCO737
 airplane 

BMIFlyer

RE: The Spring 2007 KEF (Iceland) A.Net Meet Part #2

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:36 am

Thanks for starting part 2  

The original thread was The Spring 2007 KEF (Iceland) A.Net Meet. (by BMIFlyer Aug 11 2006 in Non Aviation)  Smile

Just to update...

Attendees (Certainly thinking of going):

BMIFlyer
JAP
jkw777
MYT332
Skidmarks (and wife maybe)
Lew / EWS
Capital146
Mhodgson (subject to parents anniversary!)
EZYAirbus
Muddydwagon
KaiGywer (maybe)
Nosedive (if he's still in TXL and has $$/€€)
Pawsleykat + Pawsleykatsnr (only if funds are available)
TomatLTN
Ndebelebev (its my birthday on the 16th)
WILCO737 (If he can get off)
JGPH1A (subject to availability)
RichardPrice

Tentative (Still Deciding):

Plymspotter
VonRichtofen
DYflyer

Anyone else who is interested, please add your names to the list

The city is 25 miles from the airport. A bus link runs from the airport to downtown, website here.

Info on the city can be found at http://www.visitreykjavik.is/

Plans for the weekend....

Certainly a group tour of the city should be on the cards, if anyone is intersted?

A group restaurant booking on the Saturday night will be a good time for us all to eat, and reflect on the great weekend we should have had, by then

Some of us will be leaving on the Sunday, others will be leaving Monday.

Hotels.....
As I wrote in another thread, we can (if you want) all double up on our rooms, and save money.
The Fosshotel Baron in downtown Reykjavik does double rooms with breakfast included. If booked thru Expedia, these can cost £150 (£75 per person) for 3 nights

This hotel is in the city center, and there are a few restaurants neaby as well, including a Steakhouse.

Those who don't know much about Iceland, can get more info thru the tourist board of iceland where you will see many pictures of the city and the scenery avalable to explore on our trip.

There are many activities that we could participate in, including a trip to the famous Blue Lagoon.

All in all, this could be a really fun weekend, so no    gits please while we are out there  

Cheers,

Lee

[Edited 2006-08-17 00:44:07]
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

EWS

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:42 am

Count me in for sure still!

Thats if i survive the 1st September meeting skidmarks!

Lew

MYT332

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:42 am

How much is the beer going to cost me?
One Life, Live it.

BMIFlyer

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:45 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 3):

You never buy your own anyway, so why should it matter to you?  Wink

Lee

BradWray

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:42 am

What is the definite date for the meet?

As I may be in the RAF by next year I cannot guarantee to be there, but my father said that if I get more than 6 A-C's in my exams, he will pay for me to go on holiday. This could be what I ask him to pay for, all depending on the RAF!

Bradley!  Smile
Hamilton: English for 'Alonso's bitch' :D

piercey

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:10 am

Quote:
The Excuse-o-meter actually bent the needle trying to register the feebleness of this excuse. Based on a standard unitary TDAI* scale, it registered (approximately, owing to the bent needle) a -157.9 out of a possible 20. Seriously mate, you need new parents.

*TDAI = The Dog Ate It - this is the standard unit of measurement for North American and (bizarrely) Moldavian excuses.

just responding from the other thread...

I know, but whatever. I may be in WAW though, but still, I'd rather be in a country where I can speak the language.
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

LO231

Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:17 pm

'm seriously thinking of coming, will do a stopover enroute to the US!! Yay!

FI 503 T 13APR AMSKEF HK2 1400 1510 O* E FR
FI 631 T 16APR KEFBOS HK2 1700 1835 O* E MO
FI 614 H 20APR JFKKEF HK2 2050 #0620 O* E FR
FI 502 H 21APR KEFAMS HK2 0755 1255 O* E SA

The list:

BMIFlyer
JAP
jkw777
MYT332
Lew / EWS
Capital146
EZYAirbus
Muddydwagon
KaiGywer (maybe)
TomatLTN
RichardPrice
LO231 + Tony

Plymspotter
VonRichtofen
DYflyer

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

mhodgson

Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:36 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 3):

A lot. I think the equivalent of a pint costs about a fiver.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

skidmarks

Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:51 pm

I'm not actually going to drink beer.

Regarding the tour round the city, I think a tour of the local sights would be a better option. When I last went we had a bus tour wwhich took in hot springs and geysirs, a huge waterfall, the Althing (Parliament meeting place) and a cracking home cooked meal in a schoolhouse. Fresh trout - absolutely brilliant.

I'll try and find the pictures I took of that and scan them in.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

CON207

Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:37 pm

Hi All

Certainly looking at this one with interest although my rota is against me from initial viewing of it although I may be able to swop my Winter week in March and change it to the week in April.
Looking at flights from MAN to KEF, current flight prices are showing £476.00 for three of us ( Returns ) with Icelandair on a 752. Works out at about £159.00 each. I'm gonna go and talk nicely.. ( creep, grovel etc..  Wink ) to my Brand Manager on my bus route and on approval, will get the flights booked asap.  crossfingers .

Sightseeing trip would be great. Wouldn't mind a trip to the "Back gate to Hell" ( as the islanders call it) .... Mount Hekla volcano .

Will keep you posted.

Sue
xxx
Being ill sucks. Never take life for granted!!

JGPH1A

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:43 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 9):
I'll try and find the pictures I took of that and scan them in.

Can you scan in glass plate daguerrotypes ?  Smile

One thing to bear in mind is that Iceland is VICIOUSLY expensive - food and drink cost an arm and a leg, literally. It's very good, but VERY expensive. For those who feel up to it, the Perlan restaurant on top of the hot water tanks is extremely fabulous, best meal I've ever had just about, so I vote we each sell an internal organ and lash out on a meal there.

I'd like to see the Allthing and the Gullfoss (if that's the one I mean - the big waterfall).

I suggest also the we go down to the docks and throw stones at the whaling ship - BOOO HISSS YAR BOO SUCKS !!
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

cornish

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:47 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 11):
I suggest also the we go down to the docks and throw stones at the whaling ship - BOOO HISSS YAR BOO SUCKS !!

rotfl  But I thought that was your means of transport over to Iceland  Wink

One thing to bear in mind is that Iceland is VICIOUSLY expensive - food and drink cost an arm and a leg, literally. It's very good, but VERY expensive. For those who feel up to it, the Perlan restaurant on top of the hot water tanks is extremely fabulous, best meal I've ever had just about, so I vote we each sell an internal organ and lash out on a meal there.

Are you going to offer to do Cabaret in order to get a free feed yet again then? Remember to pack the sequins and high heels Big grin
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

JGPH1A

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:51 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 12):
But I thought that was your means of transport over to Iceland

OK, who died and made you Kirkie ? Luckily I still have the "Reroute to Pyongyang" button at my disposal, so just go ahead, make a booking - I'm waiting !

Quoting Cornish (Reply 12):
Are you going to offer to do Cabaret in order to get a free feed yet again then? Remember to pack the sequins and high heels

Don't worry, I won't take away your livelihood. I leave the cheap tricks (and I do mean "tricks") up to you, luv.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Leezyjet

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:52 pm

The list:

BMIFlyer
JAP
jkw777
MYT332
Lew / EWS
Capital146
EZYAirbus
Muddydwagon
KaiGywer (maybe)
TomatLTN
RichardPrice
LO231 + Tony
Leezyjet (what are the dates ? I didn't read the first thread)

Plymspotter
VonRichtofen
DYflyer

PS,

Can we bring our Mum's (lets see how long it takes to get that one)

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

skidmarks

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:56 pm

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 14):
Can we bring our Mum's (lets see how long it takes to get that one)

I hope that isn't compulsory, mines been dead for nearly 10 years!!

And who invited JGPH1A? Nobody asked me - although with his wealth we should get decent food! Big grin

Andy  old 

cornish

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:56 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 13):
Luckily I still have the "Reroute to Pyongyang" button at my disposal, so just go ahead, make a booking - I'm waiting !

Preferable to bloody FRA or BRU again  Wink

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 13):
I leave the cheap tricks (and I do mean "tricks") up to you, luv.

Oi. There's nothing wrong with my sawing the lady in half trick (its better than David Copperfield). Maybe I should use Kirkie next time i do it  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

mhodgson

RE: The Spring 2007 KEF (Iceland) A.Net Meet Part

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:58 pm

Gullfoss

Yep, stunning place:
http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/23004/DSCF0100.JPG
http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/23004/DSCF0104.JPG

but then, almost everywhere in Iceland is - I'd reccommend the Iceberg Lake (can't spell the place names!); the only problem is that it is a day long drive from Reykjavik.
http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/23004/DSCF0187.JPG

and Geysir:
http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/23004/DSCF0090.JPG

Loads more places worth a visit though!! Photos taken during a school trip in 2004.

[Edited 2006-08-17 17:08:15]
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

JGPH1A

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:05 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 15):
And who invited JGPH1A?

I don't require an invitation - it is assumed that my presence is not only necessary but desirable.

Quoting Cornish (Reply 16):
Preferable to bloody FRA or BRU again

Well get yourself a proper job, not just flunky or minion to Eurocrats, and you too can go to fun, exotic places (like Almaty).

Quoting Cornish (Reply 16):
(its better than David Copperfield)

Frankly m'dear, pretty much anything is better than David Copperfield.

cornish

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 18):
I don't require an invitation - it is assumed that my presence is not only necessary but desirable.

Bearing in mind the geological instability of Iceland and its proximity to the mid-altantic fault line, is there a danger that JGP's bulk on such an area of weakness might cause some sort of natural catastrophy while you are there ?

Well get yourself a proper job, not just flunky or minion to Eurocrats, and you too can go to fun, exotic places (like Almaty).

Let's just say I'm keeping my head down to avoid Pakistan or Indonesia jobs at the moment.

Frankly m'dear, pretty much anything is better than David Copperfield.

It wasn't one of Dickens' better works was it  Silly

JGPH1A

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:14 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 19):
Bearing in mind the geological instability of Iceland and its proximity to the mid-altantic fault line, is there a danger that JGP's bulk on such an area of weakness might cause some sort of natural catastrophy while you are there ?

Brings a whole new meaning to the question "Did the Earth move for you too ?"  Smile

Peeg from 'ell.

Quoting Cornish (Reply 19):
Let's just say I'm keeping my head down to avoid Pakistan or Indonesia jobs at the moment.

I think you should be nominated to be your company's Hobnob and Related Snack Items Permanent Representative in Afghanistan.

cornish

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:21 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 20):
I think you should be nominated to be your company's Hobnob and Related Snack Items Permanent Representative in Afghanistan.

I hear we have already designed a Taliban friendly Custard Creme, where the biscuit sticks together bette rto avoid crumbs dropping into the beard  Silly

Hmm closest I've got and want to get to Afghanistan is flying over it at a great height in a comfy business class seat Big grin

skidmarks

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:34 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 21):
Hmm closest I've got and want to get to Afghanistan is flying over it at a great height in a comfy business class seat

NOBODY expects the Afghanistani Stinger!!!!!!!!! Big grin

So, in view of your complete hijack of this thread, young Cornish, are you also going to grace us with your presence in Iceland? As a sort of counterpoint to JGPH1A? Big grin Big grin

Andy  old 

JGPH1A

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:38 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 22):
So, in view of your complete hijack of this thread, young Cornish, are you also going to grace us with your presence in Iceland? As a sort of counterpoint to JGPH1A?

Be nice, Andy - he's retaining water (it's the menopause). I agree he should show his face in REK, we could use a laugh.

cornish

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 22):
So, in view of your complete hijack of this thread, young Cornish, are you also going to grace us with your presence in Iceland? As a sort of counterpoint to JGPH1A?

"young Cornish". Andy I'm beginning to like you again Big grin

Grace you with my presence in Iceland ? Well the problem is I have a better half who I spend my weekends/holidays with. As work is sending us off here, there and everywhere any time we have is pretty precious. As I do the glam (or not so glam) overseas stuff and he gets the four corners of the UK, any thought of heading off on a non-work trip overseas without him would doubtless be frowned upon. And I wouldn't really want to, so any KEF trip would need to be done afte rpursuading him that he'd love to go there too, and then obviously any noticing of planes whilst there would be strictly accidental and any bumping into people who just happened to be A.netters would be an even greater coincendence  Wink

Mind you March/April is a time I'd prefer to head for warmer climates. A meet on a nice warm Med island would be more up my street  Silly

Anyway do you think Iceland could handle both JGP and my egos ?? Big grin

skidmarks

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:49 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 24):
Anyway do you think Iceland could handle both JGP and my egos ??

HAH! Egos - Iceland could swallow both of you AND Banco and still have room for AeroWesty Big grin

Well, no excuse. You have just under 9 months to get your better half sorted.  stirthepot 

Andy  old 

JGPH1A

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:52 am

any noticing of planes whilst there would be strictly accidental and any bumping into people who just happened to be A.netters would be an even greater coincendence

One doesn't go to anet meets to look at planes (unless one is a terminally sad anorak) - it's an excuse to go to far-flung corners of the globe one wouldn't normally visit. Besides, the spotting at KEF is "FI 757, er...(half hour elapses) FI 757...ummm FI 757.... oooh thats...no, it's another FI 757" all spotted from 27km away, as the runway is miles away across huge tracts of blasted heath. I'm off to the Blue Lagoon.

Anyway do you think Iceland could handle both JGP and my egos ??

You call that an ego ? That's not an ego... THIS is an EGO !!  Smile

skidmarks

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:55 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 26):
unless one is a terminally sad anorak

skidmarks = terminally sad anorak Big grin

Andy  old 

cornish

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:57 am

One doesn't go to anet meets to look at planes

Ah suddenly it sounds more appealing  Wink

it's an excuse to go to far-flung corners of the globe one wouldn't normally visit.

Like Manchester ??

Besides, the spotting at KEF is "FI 757, er...(half hour elapses) FI 757...ummm FI 757.... oooh thats...no, it's another FI 757" all spotted from 27km away, as the runway is miles away across huge tracts of blasted heath.

or not at all as its winter and you can;t see through the blizzard and darkness.

I'm off to the Blue Lagoon.

Is that the club in Nice where you "perform" these days ?

JGPH1A

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:58 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 27):
skidmarks = terminally sad anorak

No news there then ! Forgive my glib mockery, I love watching planes as much as the next terminally sad anorak, but there is more to life, especially if there are geothermal pools to be enjoyed.

cornish

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 29):
I love watching planes as much as the next terminally sad anorak, but there is more to life,

I particularly enjoy watching planes on the tarmac out of the window while sittin gin my long haul business class seat. Especially from the upstairs window of a BA 747 with my nice flat bed. Looking down on some of those Low cost carrier planes packed full of smelly individuals like Pe@rson is a one of the best ways to go plane spotting i find  Wink

JGPH1A

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:28 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 28):
Like Manchester ??

Exactly ! When otherwise would one be seen dead in such a benighted scousish locale ? But the power of a.net attracts normally respectable not entirely unspeakable people to places normally overlooked and scorned by civilisation. The example of Birmingham AL leaps to mind  Smile

DYflyer

Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:29 am

I'm off to the Blue Lagoon.

Is that something related to the Blue Oyster?  Big grin
Life is like a book. If you don't travel, you only read one page.

skidmarks

Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:44 am

Quoting DYflyer (Reply 32):
Is that something related to the Blue Oyster?

Bit of a Cult that Big grin boom Boom!!

Andy  old 

aero145

Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:16 am

Very nice amount of people coming!

So - you're coming to RKV. If you want any look around the airport, I'll be glad to show you every spotting location, and try to put you into the GA hangar place. Maybe members Asgeirs and VariEze will accompany me if you, after all, want to see the airport.  Silly

Regards,
David

BMIFlyer

Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:41 am

A small reminder.....

The confirmed dates are April 13-16, 2007  Smile

Lee

skidmarks

Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:49 pm

Well, thats it. I'm booked.

BA2790 - 13/4/07 - LGW-KEF dep.07.30-arr.09.45
BA2791 - 16/4/07 - KEF-LGW dep.10.30-arr.14.35

I'll sort accomodation out later.

Andy  old 

cornish

Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:58 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 36):

BA2790 - 13/4/07 - LGW-KEF dep.07.30-arr.09.45
BA2791 - 16/4/07 - KEF-LGW dep.10.30-arr.14.35

Remember to pack the anti-freeze for your electric buggy Big grin

skidmarks

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:14 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 37):
Remember to pack the anti-freeze for your electric buggy

Re-arrange these two words into a popular phrase/saying - off f**k! Big grin

Andy  old 

yooyoo

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:47 pm

Damn, this sounds like a good trip !!

damn damn damn !!!

have fun people. Take plenty of pics !!
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

Capital146

Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:49 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 36):

Good man, Andy! First to take the plunge! Big grin

As the dates are now cast in stone, I have now also just booked my flights. Didn't want to miss out on those £79 BA fares! Smile

Will sort out connecting flights to/from LGW at a later date. Accomodation will probably be at the place Lee has suggested, though of course, The Bjork Hotel caught my eye! How more Icelandic can you get?! Big grin

Arriving:
Skidmarks BA2790 - 13/4/07 - LGW-KEF dep.07.30-arr.09.45
Capital146 BA2790 - 13/4/07 - LGW-KEF dep.07.30-arr.09.45

Departing:
Skidmarks BA2791 - 16/4/07 - KEF-LGW dep.10.30-arr.14.35
Capital146 BA2791 - 16/4/07 - KEF-LGW dep.10.30-arr.14.35
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

Jkw777

Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:52 am

I'm still really interested in coming but I can't confirm till later on really. Company is under-going a massive takeover and integration so I can't make many plans just yet! I shall know shortly.

I'll probably take Icelandair out of LHR, possibly, and I'll be going halves on a room with Jap/Janni wherever.

Andy, Dave - It'll be good to see you fella's again.

Cheers,
Justin  Smile
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

Gilligan

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:26 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 1):
these can cost £150 (£75 per person) for 3 nights

Is that 150 a night or 150 for all three nights?

I'm adding my name to the list and will attend if I can get vacation time. I'm trying to talk Falcon84 in to going as well so give him a nudge. Now where the hell did I store my winter gear?

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 14):
The list:

BMIFlyer
JAP
jkw777
MYT332
Lew / EWS
Capital146
EZYAirbus
Muddydwagon
KaiGywer (maybe)
TomatLTN
RichardPrice
LO231 + Tony
Leezyjet (what are the dates ? I didn't read the first thread)
Gilligan

Plymspotter
VonRichtofen
DYflyer
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Capital146

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:34 am

Quoting Gilligan (Reply 42):
Is that 150 a night or 150 for all three nights?

It's £150 (or about $300) for 3 nights, so about $150 each if Falcon84 shares the room with you (and the cost includes breakfast too!).
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

aero145

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:56 am

Nice, the list is growing... And there's more than half a year until your visit.

Man - I think I won't say hello to you as I wouldn't be able to do it.  Wow!

pawsleykat

Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:37 pm

I'm so coming. I just need to book flights in a couple of weeks when I have the money. I might be coming alone though  Sad. My dad may not be able to come with and I don't think my mum would be up for it, afterall, her birthday falls a few days after the meet and Iceland is not her idea of a birthday get-away.

Eager to come

JG
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

dba4u

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:42 pm

BA quoted me 203EUR for HAM-LHR/LGW-KEF-LGW/LHR-HAM
Kinda great offer but as I need to be at school on friday and monday I would only have 24 hours to spend at KEF. Got to think about it.

skidmarks

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:18 pm

I've e-mailed a guesthouse in Reykjavik to enquire about a group booking. I shall do a couple more and see what turns up. If I do get a deal, does everyone mind living in the same hotel or do you prefer to book your own place?

I gave a tentative number of 15-20 people. Maybe optimistic but hey, have to be positive about this!

And David (Aero145) could you possibly make some enquiries on our behalf?

Andy  old 

muddydwagon

Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:10 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 47):

Hey Andy I was thinking of the same thing with a guesthouse.

It may just help keep lodging costs down and encourage more people to show up.

Cheers Peter

mhodgson

RE: The Spring 2007 KEF (Iceland) A.Net Meet Part

Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:25 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 47):
I've e-mailed a guesthouse in Reykjavik to enquire about a group booking. I shall do a couple more and see what turns up. If I do get a deal, does everyone mind living in the same hotel or do you prefer to book your own place?

Anything to make it cheaper!