KFLLCFII
Topic Author

The US Armys Newest Soldier: My Bro, Eric Peterson

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:04 am

I am proud to announce that my brother, Eric Peterson, has officially enlisted for military service in the U.S. Army this afternoon.

Eric leaves on September 5th for nine weeks of Basic Training in Fort Knox, Kentucky, followed by seventeen weeks in Maryland for Artillery Mechanic training.

He has chosen this career path as a well-needed change in his life, and we all fully support him in his decision.

~~~

May God protect him in his journey, and bring him home safe & secure.

-Bryan (& family)

"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Cadet57

RE: The US Armys Newest Soldier: My Bro, Eric Peterson

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:05 am

So he finally did it Bry? Good for him. I hope he is successful.

God's speed and come home safe.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

ANCFlyer

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:17 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Thread starter):
Eric leaves on September 5th for nine weeks of Basic Training in Fort Knox, Kentucky, followed by seventeen weeks in Maryland for Artillery Mechanic training.

Salute Eric . . . .

I spent a lot of time at Ft. Knox . . . as a shithead trainee and a Drill Sergeant. Not a bad installation at all.

Three words for ya: Heartbreak, Agony and Misery . . . . . noooo, not a state of mind, rather three hills you'll become intimately familiar with . . .

rotfl 

Press on . . . good choice.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

L-188

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:27 am

Queen of the battle man.

My brothers ship date got pushed back to the end of September, so instead of Knox he is now headed for Jackson....

But I am sure that will change....I think when I initially enlisted, they told me that I was off for lost in the woods.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Cadet57

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:28 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):
as a shithead trainee

Just as a trainee  Wink  duck 

UH60FtRucker

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:31 am

Eric Peterson, has officially enlisted for military service in the U.S. Army this afternoon.

Congrats Eric - welcome to the Army (the BEST of the 4 branches  ).

Basic Training in Fort Knox, Kentucky

I've flown down to Knox many times for training missions. Nice post. If I remember correctly - one of the barrack facilities is called the Disney Barracks - leading many of the drills to say, "Privates, y'all going to Disney land" when the recruits get off the bus.
k
I wonder why they're sending him to Knox and not to Jackson? At Knox he's gonna be surrounded by a bunch of armor goons (Just ask ANCFlyer - he's know the type)

for Artillery Mechanic training.

Eh... it's not army aviation, but at least it's not armor.  

But seriously - good choice, he'll learn some really excellent skills that will be sought after in the civilian world. Tell him to take advantage of everything the Army has to offer -even the speciality schools that might not particularly relate to his MOS.

-UH60

[Edited 2006-08-17 03:34:01]
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

Cadet57

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:34 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 5):
(the BEST of the 4 branches  ).

I beg to differ  Wink

Signed,

An AFROTC Cadet

AirCop

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:35 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):

Salute Eric . . .

this career path as a well-needed change in his life,

For the life of me, I don't understand why more young adults choose the military. The skills one learns in teamwork and the experience in general are invaluable in life later on.

L-188

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:36 am

-UH60

Hey UH60, did you spend any time at Ft. Useless?

Apparently my brother wants to fix Blackhawks and that is where they will send him for school.

As a former member of a unit that operated the very reliable Huey, I can see why the Blackhawks need that many mechanics.

duck 

AirCop

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:42 am

- welcome to the Army (the BEST of the 4 branches ).

Time for a recount, as a Air Force Vet during the Vietnam era, I seem to remember the Army guys getting jealous about our food, housing, clubs , off duty time wait heck it about everything in general. (PS..I won't even tell you what a joke USAF basic was.)

UH60FtRucker

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:43 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 6):
I beg to differ

Signed,

An AFROTC Cadet

lol... you might be right if we're talking who has better posts, housing facilities, soldier amenities, DFACs, equipment (both overall condition and age), etc...

Hell... Camp Anaconda is 1/2 Army and 1/2 Air Force. We're on one side, and they're on the other... and by simply walking 300yrds over to their side, is like walking onto a totally different base.

BUT - I've flown plenty of chair force guys around, and the times when we landed at a remote FOB and parked for the night - they were SHOCKED to learn they had to sleep in a shelter half (tent), eat an MRE and not have a morning shower and espresso.  Wink Plus... the Pave Hawk drivers won't admit it... but they're jealous of the Army and all the kick ass missions we execute.

-UH60

Cadet57

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:43 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 9):
won't even tell you what a joke USAF basic was

Wait! Thats basic? I thought it was an 8 week paid vacation in San Antonio  Wink

jetmatt777
Crew

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:46 am

Be safe out there Eric. God be with you. Good luck.

Just wanted to let you know, we're all counting on you  Wink

-Matt  Smile
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

ANCFlyer

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:56 am

Nice post. If I remember correctly - one of the barrack facilities is called the Disney Barracks - leading many of the drills to say, "Privates, y'all going to Disney land" when the recruits get off the bus.

checkmark 

They train Armor and Cav there. Eric will likely go to 2nd Training Brigade, a Basic Training Only side of the post. They get all the ash and trash over at 2ATB  wink 

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 4):
Just as a trainee

Point taken  irked   wink 

At Knox he's gonna be surrounded by a bunch of armor goons (Just ask ANCFlyer - he's know the type)

Eh... it's not army aviation, but at least it's not armor.

Wow!  grumpy 

Damned Rotorhead Lawndart Drivers . . . .  wink 

Quoting AirCop (Reply 9):
(PS..I won't even tell you what a joke USAF basic was.)

Not necessary, and Army Vet here has seen the product of such "training" first hand . . . it defies logic  wink   laughing 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

UH60FtRucker

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:58 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 8):
Hey UH60, did you spend any time at Ft. Useless?

Apparently my brother wants to fix Blackhawks and that is where they will send him for school.

As a former member of a unit that operated the very reliable Huey, I can see why the Blackhawks need that many mechanics.

Yup - I was a guard bum when I first joined out of high school. I went to college and was in the National Guard as at 67T (or now it's called 15T: -60 mechanic and crew chief) and my AIT was Fort Useless (total shit-hole). But I defected from the enlisted ranks and put in my WOC package. But being a 67T was a really awesome MOS. If you're squared away, you'll get picked up to be a crew chief and that's where a lot of the fun is. You'll learn that helicopter inside and out, and if you go WOC (a vast majority tend to) you'll be light years ahead of all the west pointers in flight school. If he wants to be a helicopter mechanic - go Hawk or Chinook, b/c it always seemed my buddies who crewed for KWarriors or Apaches weren't nearly "in-to" their jobs as we were.

And on a sidenote: I flew the UH-1 only once, and while it was a blast... I'll take the pure power of the 'hawk any day. Plus, they Huey doesn't have the hawk's SAS... which makes all the difference when you're flying combat hours, over the desert, with NODs, and you're close to max gross. I want to be thinking about the mission - not the fatigue of controlling that helicopter.

-UH60

L-188

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:02 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 14):
I went to college and was in the National Guard as at 67T (or now it's called 15T: -60 mechanic and crew chief) and my AIT was Fort Useless (total shit-hole). But I defected from the enlisted ranks and put in my WOC package. But being a 67T was a really awesome MOS.

I'll have to check and see what is MOS is planned to be. They keep changing those things around constantly (At least in signal they do)

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 14):
And on a sidenote: I flew the UH-1 only once, and while it was a blast... I'll take the pure power of the 'hawk any day.

You know the last Blackhawk is going to end up a sling load under a Huey right?

Especially if my brother starts wrenching on them..... Big grin

Seriously, got any base intel to pass on to him?

vaporlock

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:12 am

May God protect him in his journey, and bring him home safe & secure.

Bryan....wow, it is a great move and as mentioned above he will come home having some great skills that will help him get a great job. God Bless him and keep him safe.

Phyllis  bouncy 

Traindriver

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:19 am

Later for the Army, he should have joined the Navy!

In all seriousness, I wish him well and I pray for his safety.
Please send my thanks for his service.

UH60FtRucker

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:21 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 15):
Seriously, got any base intel to pass on to him?

Well 'hawks are stationed at practically every Army post... so if you're looking for diversity is possible assignment locations, the hawk is really the only option b/c the other three are very post limited.

I'm out of Campbell and I love it. I like the post, the mentality of the 101st, the surrounding community, the hawk community out of Campbell, etc... But when I get the opportunity to PCS (about a year after I redeploy home) I am seriously considering Alaska. I'd love to go to Fort Irwin and be apart of NTC, but my wife would kill herself in boredom!

Fort Eustis.... what a freakin' hell hole. The post itself is dumpy. Why the Army does aviation mechanic training there is beyond me, and the place is crawling with boat drivers. While you're there, you will here "Did you know the Army has more boats than the Navy" so much, you'll want to take a letter opener to your ears. But, luckily the surrounding area isn't so bad. DC is close and so are the beaches down on the Virginia coast. AND we use to go down to Norfolk and "hang out" with the navy girls. So life wasn't so bad while I was there.

Anyway: if he becomes a 67T (or whatever the current title is): it seems like the best place to go is Campbell, Hood or Bragg... simply because of the sheer size of the aviation units. Germany wouldn't be bad either - but for a post assignment that use to be very easy to get... it's now very HARD to get.

-UH60

L-188

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:11 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 18):
Anyway: if he becomes a 67T (or whatever the current title is): it seems like the best place to go is Campbell, Hood or Bragg... simply because of the sheer size of the aviation units. Germany wouldn't be bad either - but for a post assignment that use to be very easy to get... it's now very HARD to get.

He is actually Alaska Army National Guard, so he will be back here when done.

Germany wasn't bad....I was in two aviation units there. Although if you didn't have a car Illisheim was a bit out in the middle of nowhere. Stuttgart was much better in that regard.

senorcarnival

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:33 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 11):

"Vacation" and "San Antonio" should never be repeated in the same sentence! Blasphemy!
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

lobster

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:37 pm

Right on man!! Good for him. Hell, I might just run into him while I'm down there-I'll be shipping out Sept 19 for basic down at Knox. I assume he is going Active Duty?

fraspotter

Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:09 pm

(the BEST of the 4 branches ).

Actually Five if you count the Coast Guard. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard.
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

KFLLCFII
Topic Author

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:27 pm

Quoting Lobster (Reply 21):
I assume he is going Active Duty?

thumbsup 
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."