EA CO AS
Topic Author

Scientist Says Dolphins Are Dimwits

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:03 pm

Interesting take on this - that perhaps dolphins are really not all that intelligent after all.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14388922/

Fair use excerpt:

JOHANNESBURG - Dolphins may have big brains, but a South African-based scientist says lab rats and even goldfish can outwit them.

Paul Manger of Johannesburg's University of the Witwatersrand says the super-sized brains of dolphins, whales and porpoises are a function of being warm-blooded in a cold water environment and not a sign of intelligence.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

TedTAce

RE: Scientist Says Dolphins Are Dimwits

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:09 pm

So let me get this straight.

The only Mammal that doesn't breed itself beyond its resources, lives in typically tropical waters, has the only tangible enemy of fishing nets (save the VERY rare shark), and spends most of the day eating and fucking: is dumber then a stinking rat?

All I have to say is "So long, and thanks for all the fish"
This space intentionally left blank

Jetsgo

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:11 pm

A goldfish can outwit a dolphin? Sorry, I dont buy it...

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

casinterest

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:14 pm

I have to strongly disagree with that scientist(if he can be called that).

What about the dolphins in S.C that have figured out how to throw the fish on to the shore and claim them

what about the sophisticated coversations and family structures they have.

what about their ability to playfully interact?

The psuedo scientist seems to throw all of his reasoning into the can't jump over a rope theory. Dolphins can jump. but maybe they are a bit confused by captivity and nets. Wouldn't you be if you were used to the open sea?
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

jwenting

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:17 pm

I think he was really researching the Miami Dolphins...

Of course dolphins aren't intelligent. For that you need to invent war, ways to avoid paying overtime work, and political correctness.
Dolphins on the other hand invented a lot of ways to have a good time, that can't be intelligent.
I wish I were flying

DfwRevolution

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:19 pm

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 3):
What about the dolphins in S.C that have figured out how to throw the fish on to the shore and claim them

Mice claim objects by peeing on them

what about the sophisticated coversations and family structures they have.

Uh hello, there is a documentary film series of two mice who try to take over the world every night...  Yeah sure

what about their ability to playfully interact?

Mice have mastered the concept of the wheel which took Mesopotamian's centuries to develop and can fit through really tiny, colorful plastic tubes.

By god, I think this scientist is onto something  Wink

Jetsgo

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:21 pm

Arent dolphins one of the very very few animals along with humans who can both masturbate and have sex just for the pure pleasure? I believe that would require some intellegence, despite how disgusting it may be.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

TedTAce

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:22 pm

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 4):
Dolphins on the other hand invented a lot of ways to have a good time, that can't be intelligent.

My sentiments exactly. The most serious thing a dolphin does is eat and protect their young, even then they try to have fun with it. WTF is wrong with that?
This space intentionally left blank

L-188

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:38 pm

I think he was really researching the Miami Dolphins

Shark-spit....

Signed the 1972 Dolphins

[Edited 2006-08-18 06:40:29]
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

mdsh00

Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:43 pm

Nothing but stupid conjecture. I would like to see this scientist do some actual scientific research on it before making claims that Dolphins are morons.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

jacobin777

Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:56 pm

I think he was really researching the Miami Dolphins...

hey...hey..hey...watch it there bucko...Saban is doing a good job rebuilding the Miami Dolphins....won 6 in a row last year... bigthumbsup 

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 9):
Nothing but stupid conjecture. I would like to see this scientist do some actual scientific research on it before making claims that Dolphins are morons.

as a former scientist, I was thinking of the same thing, not to mention, the mountains of peer-reviewed scientific data which contradicts his bold assertions...
"Up the Irons!"

nighthawk

Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:43 pm

the day I see a rat/goldfish beat a dolphin at a game of chess is the day I believe this scientist  Silly

srbmod

Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:44 am

This must be one of the scientists Dubya uses to do environmental research. I think I know who paid for this study:

RAPCON

Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:47 am

I'm sure that if they asked the dolphins for an opinion, they would say that the scientist can suck their dick!

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 10):
Saban is doing a good job rebuilding the Miami Dolphins....won 6 in a row last year...

How come the helmet worn by the Miami Dolphin in the logo is different from the helmet the team wears??
MODS CAN'T STOP ME....THEY CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN ME!!!

Derico

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:04 am

I think the dolphins were pretending to be dumb, so that they would leave them alone.

Which means that in reality... Big grin
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down