AirPacific747
Topic Author

The Non-av. Clientel....

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:16 am

Lately, no actually every month since I joined, a handful of threads pop up directed at a single or two people. The way I see it, it seems like a small closed clientel. Even you're in or you're out. I've also noticed that its always the same small clientel of people. Am I really the only one that finds this annoying? And no, its not because I am jealous, but people should try to see this from other people's perspectives.

I'd like to contribute to these threads, but in my opinion, it seems like you're not a part of the group if you don't know the people personally or if you haven't met them in real life, because the threads can be about something so personal that other users outside the small community that don't know the user the thread is directed at don't know what the thread is all about.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to attack any specific persons. This is a general problem the way I see it

9VSPO

RE: The Non-av. Clientel....

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:21 am

Just post on a topic you like and leave the one's you don't, that's all I do.  Smile

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 1):
Just post on a topic you like and leave the one's you don't, that's all I do.

Well...

Quoting AirPacific747 (Thread starter):
I'd like to contribute to these threads, but in my opinion, it seems like you're not a part of the group if you don't know the people personally or if you haven't met them in real life...

mhodgson

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:26 am

I know what you mean - but once you start contributing more, and becoming a 'known' name, you slowly become a part of it - at least I think I have!

Meets always help, as well, as people can put names to faces.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

KFLLCFII

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:26 am

What are you talking about? There are no private forum groups here...

If you feel you've got something worthwhile to post, then post it! No one's going to stop you...
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

NIKV69

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:28 am

at a single or two people

I wonder who that could be?   

Even you're in or you're out.

LMAO

I'd like to contribute to these threads

Why? They are usually the same ol stuff and really not worth it. Check the rest of non-av there are many other threads posted by other people than the non-av hiearchy.

because the threads can be about something so personal that other users outside the small community that don't know the user the thread is directed at don't know what the thread is all about.

You have to realize that for some of the non-av hiearchy this is there only social outlet, sad as it may seem. Just avoid those threads, there are plenty others.

[Edited 2006-08-19 23:30:48]
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:29 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 3):
I know what you mean - but once you start contributing more, and becoming a 'known' name, you slowly become a part of it - at least I think I have!

Meets always help, as well, as people can put names to faces.

So true, but you can't go to every meet. I just wish that people would keep the personal jokes for MSN Messenger or Yahoo Messenger or whatever, and let everyone be able to contribute in the threads on a.net.

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 4):
What are you talking about? There are no private forum groups here...

Okay that's how you see it. I'm not going to point out any specific users. That wouldn't be right.

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 4):

If you feel you've got something worthwhile to post, then post it! No one's going to stop you...

Exactly what I just did with this thread.

9VSPO

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:30 am

AirPacific747,

You've been a member on here since April last year, have 4208 posts and your RR is 25. Now all of a sudden you are too shy to post??  Yeah sure  confused 

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:30 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 5):
Why? They are usually the same ol stuff and really not worth it. check the rest of non-av there are many other threads posted by other people than the non-av hiearchy.

I'm not defending that anywhere either.

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 7):
You've been a member on here since April last year, have 4208 posts and your RR is 25. Now all of a sudden you are too shy to post??

Huh?? What do you mean? Why do you think I posted this thread? Certainly not because I'm too shy to post.

Clogman

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:42 am

I gotta say that I agree with AirPacific here.
Its actually pretty dificult to take part in many threads in here. Especially if you are a newbie or not one of the guys with a high RR.

When I was using my former username OYRJA it was actually much easier to participate because people knew who you were.

But on the other hand I dont really care about the threads thats only posted to diss eachother. So I stay far away from them and just post in the threads that I find interesting.

Klaus

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:43 am

There is no secret handshake.

Just participate!  Smile

Btriple7

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:50 am

I sort see what you're saying AirPacific747, but just relax! It's just an online forum. Don't take it so seriously. If you feel like you aren't getting noticed, how about posting random, stupid threads that get you banned like Gkirk and TheCoz (or whatever he's become) do.

Like stated above, if you have something interesting to post, post it! If you feel "left out" of a particular thread, then don't post in it. No biggie.

It doesn't matter if you're not the most popular member on an internet forum. I can tell you because my RR is only 3. Think of how I feel.

Regards,
Btriple7  wave 
Just...fly.

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:54 am

Quoting Btriple7 (Reply 12):
I sort see what you're saying AirPacific747, but just relax! It's just an online forum. Don't take it so seriously. If you feel like you aren't getting noticed, how about posting random, stupid threads that get you banned like Gkirk and TheCoz (or whatever he's become) do.

Well I don't want to get banned And I don't want to be like Gkirk or TheCoz. No offence to them, but that's not my type. I'm not saying that people can't post these kinds of threads, but don't get too personal, so that only people that have met you in real life know what you're talking about.

Like stated above, if you have something interesting to post, post it! If you feel "left out" of a particular thread, then don't post in it. No biggie.

While I see your point, I disagree. If everyone did that, the forum would be full of clientels a little like now. That's why I'm posting this thread. To try to change this, and make the forum more open to everyone. Even the newbies that just joined.

It doesn't matter if you're not the most popular member on an internet forum. I can tell you because my RR is only 3. Think of how I feel.

Well this is not about RR. Frankly I dont give a damn about RR. I wish they would remove that childish rating system.

p.s. Thanks for bringing up the RR issue. I see the RR system as part of this problem, but I'll save that for site related Your opinion can be just as good or better than someone with an RR rating of 93

[Edited 2006-08-20 00:13:30]

Btriple7

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:00 am

Just for clarification: Are we talking about just NonAv or all the A.net forums???
Just...fly.

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:00 am

Quoting Btriple7 (Reply 14):
Just for clarification: Are we talking about just NonAv or all the A.net forums???

non-av.  Smile

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:03 am

It's the internet, and it's Saturday night which means NONE of us should be posting here, we should all be downtown having a few mid-summer cold ones!!

I'm on this forum to be informed (to get the heads up on events sometimes before the media does) and to make the occasional contribution or comment which people a) read with interest or b) don't give a sh*t. You might meet people at the get togethers, or you may never. Ultimately, you're typing into a computer - it isn't personal, so if someone offends you, switch off and pour yourself a beer. You don't need to be "respected".
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

lewis

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:03 am

Who cares really. I rarely participate in this forum in general and never in the 'clientel' types that you're describing. I can never get into such types of discussion in a forum, too impersonal for me. If the thread is indirectly not open for general discussion, just ignore it.

Anyway, most mombers that participate in the threads you mention either know each other very well (from meetings, chat and stuff) or are too busy surfing to have a real social life. If you do not fall under the first category, would you like to be under the second?

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:09 am

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 16):
It's the internet, and it's Saturday night which means NONE of us should be posting here, we should all be downtown having a few mid-summer cold ones!!

Not if we have been working for 9 hours today and are going working for 9 hours again tomorrow

I'm on this forum to be informed (to get the heads up on events sometimes before the media does) and to make the occasional contribution or comment which people a) read with interest or b) don't give a sh*t. You might meet people at the get togethers, or you may never. Ultimately, you're typing into a computer - it isn't personal, so if someone offends you, switch off and pour yourself a beer. You don't need to be "respected".

I totally agree with you here, but this forum is like a hobby for me. I probably take it a little more seriously than you probably do then. Not saying that is the right thing to do, but I don't think I'm the only one.

Quoting Lewis (Reply 17):
Who cares really. I rarely participate in this forum in general and never in the 'clientel' types that you're describing. I can never get into such types of discussion in a forum, too impersonal for me. If the thread is indirectly not open for general discussion, just ignore it.

Well that is just like what Btriple7 suggested, but again, wouldn't that just worsen the situation with non-av. being seperated into small groups?

Quoting Lewis (Reply 17):

Anyway, most mombers that participate in the threads you mention either know each other very well (from meetings, chat and stuff) or are too busy surfing to have a real social life. If you do not fall under the first category, would you like to be under the second?

Great point! You're probably right, and no, I wouldn't want to be in the second category.

[Edited 2006-08-20 00:11:10]

Jkw777

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:15 am

In my eyes we're all one big family and we can contribute in any thread one feels the need to. An important point was raised, and that is contribute!!  Smile

It's only you feeling as if you can't post in certain threads!!

Regards,
Justin  Smile
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

lewis

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:21 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 18):
Well that is just like what Btriple7 suggested, but again, wouldn't that just worsen the situation with non-av. being seperated into small groups?

It is already quite separated. You open a thread by X and the whole discussion is always with Y and Z. Its always been like that. And its not only in forums. In school, university or workplace, groups form. Sometimes its because the people share the same opinions and just 'fit'. Here you also see specific people taking the piss with other specific members. I've been around these forums for like seven years, few members from back then are still here, some are gone and others come and go. Members change but it's always the same.

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:24 am

Quoting Lewis (Reply 20):

It is already quite separated. You open a thread by X and the whole discussion is always with Y and Z. Its always been like that. And its not only in forums. In school, university or workplace, groups form. Sometimes its because the people share the same opinions and just 'fit'. Here you also see specific people taking the piss with other specific members. I've been around these forums for like seven years, few members from back then are still here, some are gone and others come and go. Members change but it's always the same.

Well at schools, work, universities, etc. people who share the same interests usually hang out together in their spare time. Why can't people do that here in form of an Instant Messenger? There are no groups at my school. I guess I'm just prettly lucky then, eh? And at my work, there are no small groups of people. Everyone gets along with everyone.

And you know what they say: Two wrongs doesn't make a right, and I see this issue as a 'wrong'

[Edited 2006-08-20 00:26:22]

Btriple7

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 18):
but again, wouldn't that just worsen the situation with non-av. being separated into small groups?

You can't stop NonAv from being in small groups. What do you expect to do--tell those people in groups to stop talking to each other and include the other members in the topic? That ridiculous! How would expect the mods to enforce this?!

I understand where you are coming from, AirPacific. I really do, but what you're asking for just cannot be accomplished. The admin can't just make some rule; it would take the will all A.netters to accomplish what you're asking, which isn't going to happen. People will always feel more comfortable talking to someone they've actually seen face-to-face, but that's only natural. I know it might seem unfair, but you and the rest of us are just going to have to put up with it. That's all I can say.

Regards,
Btriple7
Just...fly.

lewis

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:33 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 21):
There are no groups at my school. I guess I'm just prettly lucky then, eh?

Then you are VERY lucky.

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:34 am

Quoting Btriple7 (Reply 22):
You can't stop NonAv from being in small groups. What do you expect to do--tell those people in groups to stop talking to each other and include the other members in the topic? That ridiculous! How would expect the mods to enforce this?!

No that's not it. Just don't post threads that are so cryptic that you need to know the users personally to understand the thread, and therefore are excluded by the thread.

I really do, but what you're asking for just cannot be accomplished.

Maybe not, but I think you misunderstood my point.

People will always feel more comfortable talking to someone they've actually seen face-to-face, but that's only natural. I know it might seem unfair, but you and the rest of us are just going to have to put up with it. That's all I can say.

Of course, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is: save the internal jokes for IM.

IFEMaster

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:35 am

Sure, "clique' threads exist. They do any every forum everywhere. Learn to accept it, then deal with it.

FWIW, I found it pretty easy to 'join in' when I first joined, and even though I've never been to a meet and still don't yet know who all the forum kings and queens (in both senses of the word) are, it won't stop me from joining in a thread that interests me.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:35 am

Quoting Lewis (Reply 23):

Then you are VERY lucky.

Yes. And there's more than 600 people in my school.

btw I'm off to bed.. can't wait to see where this discussion has lead to when I wake up tomorrow.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 25):
Sure, "clique' threads exist. They do any every forum everywhere. Learn to accept it, then deal with it.

Maybe you're right, but I'm still not used to it, even after 4000 posts.

[Edited 2006-08-20 00:36:32]

AsstChiefMark

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:43 am

This place is like "Cheers." People come and go all day. You don't pay attention to those sitting in the booths next to the walls. The ones you DO notice are sitting at the bar, which is where the action is. And those at the bar all have different interests and personalities...Norm, Cliff, Frasier, Lillith, etc. But they're in the middle of the action and all have something to contribute in their own way.

The thing is, you have a choice. You can either sit in a booth or sit at the bar.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:46 am

Ok last post tonight, I promise

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 27):
This place is like "Cheers." People come and go all day. You don't pay attention to those sitting in the booths next to the walls. The ones you DO notice are sitting at the bar, which is where the action is. And those at the bar all have different interests and personalities...Norm, Cliff, Frasier, Lillith, etc. But they're in the middle of the action and all have something to contribute in their own way.

The thing is, you have a choice. You can either sit in a booth or sit at the bar.

Yeah that is all true, but the thing is, that somehow the rest of non-av manage to post threads that everyone are able to join more easily anyway.
I have a few people in my mind that I'm thinking about when thinking about clientels, and its always those people starting those closed threads, where only people that know the person who started the thread are "invited"

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 29):

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 29):
So let me get this right. Over 4000 posts in under 18 months, an RR of 25, and you don't feel "welcome" some places around here? Where have you been posting to rack up the wear and tear on your post button then?

That isn't a rhetorical question.

(Oh, is it okay to post in here?)

lol that has nothing to do with this issue. I'm not talking about every single thread in non-av. but maybe around 2% of all threads in non-av.

And of course you're welcome to post in here  Wink

[Edited 2006-08-20 00:50:21]

AeroWesty

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:47 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 26):
4000 posts.

So let me get this right. Over 4000 posts in under 18 months, an RR of 25, and you don't feel "welcome" some places around here? Where have you been posting to rack up the wear and tear on your post button then?

That isn't a rhetorical question.

(Oh, is it okay to post in here?)  silly 
International Homo of Mystery

AsstChiefMark

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 28):
Yeah that is all true, but the thing is, that somehow the rest of non-av manage to post threads that everyone are able to join more easily anyway.
I have a few people in my mind that I'm thinking about when thinking about clientels, and its always those people starting those closed threads, where only people that know the person who started the thread are "invited"

Sounds like a social skills issue.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

AeroWesty

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:52 am

I've never once noticed that.

Btriple7

Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 24):
No that's not it. Just don't post threads that are so cryptic that you need to know the users personally to understand the thread, and therefore are excluded by the thread.

Now you're being a bit unfair. You said yourself that this forum was a hobby, a place where you and others could just "hang out." Surely that constitutes allowing people to talk to each other in personal terms that other people might not necessarily understand.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 24):
What I'm saying is: save the internal jokes for IM.

I'm sure there are many jokes passed through IM by A.netters, but IM has its restrictions, even MSN and AIM. What if you want to post a funny video? Maybe you want more than just your friends to see that video. I mean...isn't that what NonAv was created for? "This forum is for topics not related to aviation." That's sounds like a rather broad category to me.

Quoting Lewis (Reply 20):
And its not only in forums. In school, university or workplace, groups form.

Well at schools, work, universities, etc. people who share the same interests usually hang out together in their spare time. Why can't people do that here in form of an Instant Messenger? There are no groups at my school. I guess I'm just pretty lucky then, eh? And at my work, there are no small groups of people. Everyone gets along with everyone.

This is not the school playground! This is Airliners.net! There are thousands upon thousands of users on this site from every region of the globe except Antarctica! Just look at this thread! AirPacific747 is from Denmark; I'm from France; AeroWesty is from the States; IFEMaster is from the UK; Lewis is from Greece; etc, etc. Naturally there are going to be groups!

There are no groups at my school. I guess I'm just prettly lucky then, eh?

I'm sorry, but I find that hard to believe. I was in a school smaller than yours once, and there were plenty of little groups of friends. Sure we were all still friends in the big picture, but there were little groups of best friends. Uh...news-flash, that's human instinct. That's part of any social fabric in this world

Now don't get me wrong, AirPacific. I hate it --absolutely hate it!-- when someone says something that I don't understand, and then turn to me and say, "Never mind, it's an inside joke." I hate it! But you know what? I just let it fly and ignore it. That's life. No one said life was fair; because it isn't.

I have no idea what you are talking about. If you feel that way, that's fine, but I don't see it that way. Think of it like this: If I post something in this "invitation-only thread," they will either hate me, love me, or ignore me. But I don't care because this is an internet forum and will likely never see these people face-to-face anyway. Now, don't let this be an excuse for insulting people or breaking the rules, but you see my point.

Now come on, AirPacific. I know you don't believe in it, but your RR is 25. You have 4000 posts under your belt (I don't even have a thousand!). How can you not feel welcomed in threads here in NonAv. Even if you're not "invited," I'm sure many members here wouldn't mind you crashing their party...

...if they did mind...well...like I said, what are the chances you are ever going to meet them anyway.

Relax! It's the internet!

Best Regards,
Btriple7

relieved  That was a long post.
Just...fly.

srbmod

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:38 am

Quick, somebody call the

http://waaahbulance.ytmnd.com/

You honestly set yourself up for all sorts of grief with this thread. So there's some "groups" within the Non-Av Forum, whoopity friggin' doo. Some of the regulars in here have been on the forums for years and in a lot of ways it's their place to have a little fun, poke some fun at each other, and in general hang out (not everyone is a fan of the chat rooms or of chat rooms in general). While most of it is in-jokes, you hang around here long enough, you understand and start in with it as well. There's really no such thing as a "private" thread in here. You're as welcome as everyone else to post in a thread that may seem to be directed towards a small number of members. You may in fact have something to contribute to the thread. There have been threads where only a small number of members are involved in where someone comes in out of the blue and makes the thread interesting.

piercey

Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:32 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 33):

You honestly set yourself up for all sorts of grief with this thread. So there's some "groups" within the Non-Av Forum, whoopity friggin' doo. Some of the regulars in here have been on the forums for years and in a lot of ways it's their place to have a little fun, poke some fun at each other, and in general hang out (not everyone is a fan of the chat rooms or of chat rooms in general). While most of it is in-jokes, you hang around here long enough, you understand and start in with it as well. There's really no such thing as a "private" thread in here. You're as welcome as everyone else to post in a thread that may seem to be directed towards a small number of members. You may in fact have something to contribute to the thread. There have been threads where only a small number of members are involved in where someone comes in out of the blue and makes the thread interesting.

amen and  checkmark 

Honestly, just post and read. That's it!
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:54 pm

Quoting Btriple7 (Reply 32):

Now you're being a bit unfair. You said yourself that this forum was a hobby, a place where you and others could just "hang out." Surely that constitutes allowing people to talk to each other in personal terms that other people might not necessarily understand.

I don't think I'm being unfair at all. In fact, I think I'm very fair. People can hang out in here as much as they want to and start silly threads, but I just think some of them get a little too private.

I'm sure there are many jokes passed through IM by A.netters, but IM has its restrictions, even MSN and AIM. What if you want to post a funny video? Maybe you want more than just your friends to see that video. I mean...isn't that what NonAv was created for? "This forum is for topics not related to aviation." That's sounds like a rather broad category to me.

Funny videos are totally alright! No problem there I think.

This is not the school playground! This is Airliners.net! There are thousands upon thousands of users on this site from every region of the globe except Antarctica! Just look at this thread! AirPacific747 is from Denmark; I'm from France; AeroWesty is from the States; IFEMaster is from the UK; Lewis is from Greece; etc, etc. Naturally there are going to be groups!

Which makes this website so great! Sorry I should rephrase what I have said earlier then. I do see your point, but again, why is it always the same small group that make those threads? The rest of the forum always seem to be able to create threads where everyone's able to join even though you don't know anything about the thread starter.

That's life. No one said life was fair; because it isn't.

Sure, but if you never try to change the things you don't like or appreciate, you end up being stepped on by the others.

I have no idea what you are talking about. If you feel that way, that's fine, but I don't see it that way.

That's also fine, that you don't see it that way, but I have gotten a few PMs from different users that support me in this thread, but just don't want to or are able to support me in this thread, so I will do my best to speak for all the people that PM'd me, and there are probably many more that think the same as I do, but are too shy to join.

But I don't care because this is an internet forum and will likely never see these people face-to-face anyway. Now, don't let this be an excuse for insulting people or breaking the rules, but you see my point.

Good point, but it is besides the point. I'm not telling people to love me. Just stop posting threads that are aimed at a very small group (eg. 1-4 people or so) which contains internal humour among those people

Quick, somebody call the

Well someone has to do the dirty work

You honestly set yourself up for all sorts of grief with this thread.

Whatever you say... I'm complaining about something that has been bothering me for a long time. Sorry if you find that annoying, but that is not really my problem.

While most of it is in-jokes, you hang around here long enough, you understand and start in with it as well.

Sure but I'm sure that not everyone has an unlimited amount of time to sit and figure out what all those privately aimed threads are about.

There's really no such thing as a "private" thread in here.

Sure there isn't, but if you know each other well, you can quickly make it a very private thread, which people outside the group aren't able to join in about.

There have been threads where only a small number of members are involved in where someone comes in out of the blue and makes the thread interesting.

True, but I don't think it happens that often compared to all the threads I'm complaining about. Besides, if more people were able to join, more funny and brilliant posts would be posted.

[Edited 2006-08-20 08:08:47]

wukka

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:40 pm

Now that I've gotten all the sand out of my crack after reading this thread, I have to agree with:

Absolutely. For the most part, I sit in a booth because I choose to do so. That said, every now and then I get up and go to the bar and "meet" some great people.

I'm not talking about every single thread in non-av. but maybe around 2% of all threads in non-av.

So this is all about 2% of threads that you don't feel an outward invitation to participate in? Two percent?!?

Man, if you think that 2% of an Internet site is this hard to deal with, the exposure to the "real" world is going to blind-side you.
We can agree to disagree.

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:43 pm

Quoting Wukka (Reply 36):
So this is all about 2% of threads that you don't feel an outward invitation to participate in? Two percent?!?

Man, if you think that 2% of an Internet site is this hard to deal with, the exposure to the "real" world is going to blind-side you.

Well that is a fictional number. I don't know the real percentage or amount of threads, but I found 8, yes 8 in less than 5 minutes using the search function and they were all posted within 14 days. And yes that's 8 too many  Smile
And this is luckily not the real world, so let's stick to the topic.

[Edited 2006-08-20 08:45:18]

m180up

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:52 pm

Quoting Clogman (Reply 10):
Its actually pretty dificult to take part in many threads in here. Especially if you are a newbie or not one of the guys with a high RR.

Well I'm a newbie and I have only around 200 posts and have a RR of 11. But I'm not worried about that number.

Exactly what I do, when I feel I have something important I just post it, If no one notices my post no biggie.

Well I work at nights, I'm not at work today because I was feeling sick, but I would prefer to be out!!!

Right on the spot!! You decide whether to participate, not just because you want attention, but because you are willing to contribute to some threads.
Werner from SAL

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:56 pm

Quoting M180up (Reply 38):
Exactly what I do, when I feel I have something important I just post it, If no one notices my post no biggie.

It has nothing to do with no one noticing my post.

Quoting M180up (Reply 38):

Right on the spot!! You decide whether to participate, not just because you want attention, but because you are willing to contribute to some threads.

Of course. Again besides my point, because sometimes you're not really able to participate at all. That's why I started this thread

[Edited 2006-08-20 08:57:08]

m180up

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:04 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 39):
It has nothing to do with no one noticing my post.

I didn't tried to imply that, sorry if you felt my comment in that way.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 39):
Of course. Again besides my point, because sometimes you're not really able to participate at all. That's why I started this thread

I know some threads seems to be focused on attracting just a few A.net members, but isn't life that way always??
You will always get to a place and you will always find little groups trying to have their own club and chatting only among themselves... Of course I'm not saying this is the case in A.net, but it is that way everywhere else, and even if a little portion of the threads "might" be only for a "few A.net members", I have yet to find a single one where I'm told I'm not welcome or to stop posting.
Werner from SAL

saxdiva

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:27 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 37):
Well that is a fictional number. I don't know the real percentage or amount of threads, but I found 8, yes 8 in less than 5 minutes using the search function and they were all posted within 14 days. And yes that's 8 too many

So let me get this straight... after searching them out, you found eight threads that contained leg-pulling or other inside jokes that you didn't get, and you're feeling excluded to the point of starting threads complaining about this phenomenon?

I swear, the next time someone starts on about Americans being self-absorbed, I'm gonna go completely postal.

bill142

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:28 pm

I agree, somewhat. Some of these "in" jokes are probably due to members being activley social with one another away from A.net.

Some of us aren't in a position to be activley social with other members, for example I don't know of any other A.nutters from Canberra, so therefore I never socialise with any other members. I have a couple of people on MSN who I speak to from time to time, but thats about as far as it goes.

Halcyon

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:37 pm

Well, you could be like me: come in expecting everyone to hate you, post controversial posts from a minority's viewpoint, make enemies real fast, and sit at home laughing while you eat ice cream and watch as the forum members try to decide whether to hang or gag you to death with butt fungus.

I'm against these small bunches too, as you freaks seem to be more organized, forcing me to go to extreme measures (currently building moat) which I have little time for.  Angry

Lucas

As you can see above, having few friends (once the other, non-friends die of old age I'll tell everyone they were my friends, so as to seem popular and impress the grandkids  old  ), besides yourself and a couple others, I amuse myself with posts that annoy others. (Have a vague sadness for being so annoying. Very vague. Big grin )

wukka

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:40 pm

but I found 8, yes 8 in less than 5 minutes using the search function and they were all posted within 14 days.

8 threads in 14 days that you don't feel welcome in? ...and you spent 5 minutes looking for things that you didn't want to participate in?

Exactly what clientele are you hoping to eliminate with this whole post?

It appears that you might have some issues with open communication between diverse groups.

Do you care to point us in the direction of the 8 threads that you feel you are excluded from? Links from your search would be nice.

Then we might have a better grasp at what you are getting at.

What part of my response was off-topic?

Quoting M180up (Reply 40):
I have yet to find a single one where I'm told I'm not welcome or to stop posting.

Exactly.
We can agree to disagree.

saxdiva

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:40 pm

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 43):
As you can see above, having few friends (once the other, non-friends die of old age I'll tell everyone they were my friends, so as to seem popular and impress the grandkids old ), besides yourself and a couple others, I amuse myself with posts that annoy others. (Have a vague sadness for being so annoying. Very vague. Big grin )

Your real trouble is your posts are so weird you fit right in here.

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:52 pm

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 41):

So let me get this straight... after searching them out, you found eight threads that contained leg-pulling or other inside jokes that you didn't get, and you're feeling excluded to the point of starting threads complaining about this phenomenon?

checkmark 

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 42):
Some of us aren't in a position to be activley social with other members, for example I don't know of any other A.nutters from Canberra, so therefore I never socialise with any other members. I have a couple of people on MSN who I speak to from time to time, but thats about as far as it goes.

checkmark 

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 43):
Well, you could be like me: come in expecting everyone to hate you, post controversial posts from a minority's viewpoint, make enemies real fast, and sit at home laughing while you eat ice cream and watch as the forum members try to decide whether to hang or gag you to death with butt fungus.

Hahaha interesting concept Big grin

Quoting Wukka (Reply 44):
and you spent 5 minutes looking for things that you didn't want to participate in?

Who said that I don't want to participate in them? Read the thread starter, and you'll find out that I actually do want to participate in them.

Exactly what clientele are you hoping to eliminate with this whole post?

I could pm you, but I wont write the usernames and threads in question this thread for everyone to see.

Do you care to point us in the direction of the 8 threads that you feel you are excluded from? Links from your search would be nice.

Sure, I could. I posted them all the Clogman over MSN Messenger last night. But I don't want to point fingers at specific members in a thread like this. I hope they know who they are.

What part of my response was off-topic?

That A.net has nothing to do with the real world. So lets focus on the problem here on a.net for now, okay?

Exactly.

Good for you, but again, that's now how I and a bunch of other users see it.

Halcyon

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:04 pm

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 45):
Your real trouble is your posts are so weird you fit right in here.

Hmm, yes, that is a truly troubling thought. I'll invite my shrink across the moat I suppose. Hope the gators don't eat him.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 46):
Hahaha interesting concept

I know, it proves that a lack of sleep does shrivel the human brain.  Smile

Cheers all,
Lucas

AeroWesty

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:07 pm

I found 8, yes 8 in less than 5 minutes using the search function and they were all posted within 14 days. And yes that's 8 too many

Okay, let's run some numbers. About 150 threads show up on the forum list at any time. When I count up the number of threads I actually posted in on the first page, it's 25. Now that could be just one post or several posts in the thread.

So in the threads that have been active in the past two days, 83.33% of the threads I had nothing to say in. It was either because of no interest, or nothing to say. 83.33%, and I don't feel alienated at all.

BTW, instead of "clientele", I believe the word you're looking for is "clique", am I right?

9VSPO

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:09 pm