9VSPO
Topic Author

What's Going On In The Cricket?

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:28 am

Got home, turned the radio on and Pakistan are accused of tampering with the ball during the fourth Test.  Confused

Jamie757

RE: What's Going On In The Cricket?

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:34 am

It appears that Pakistan may have ended up forfeiting the match after a protest gone wrong!  Confused

Rgds.
"I feel like a turkey who's just caught Bernard Matthews grinning at him!"

9VSPO
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:36 am

So basically absolutely no regard for all those fans that paid £30/£40 for a ticket!  Angry

Jamie757

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:42 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 2):
So basically absolutely no regard for all those fans that paid £30/£40 for a ticket!

Looks that way! Doesn't look hopeful for play tomorrow.  Yeah sure

Look here for more information... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/5268250.stm

Rgds.

airbusA346

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:54 am

The play has been stopped after Daryl Hair found marks on the ball and they added 5 runs onto Englands score card as Penalty points to Pakistan.

The bails were knocked off the wicket which seems to signal that Pakistan have forfeited.

And everybody seems to think that Hair is being racist to Pakistan.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

JGPH1A

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:56 am

Same thing that always happens in cricket. 22 people shuffle round a field throwing balls at each other, the rest of the planet gets bored and changes the channel. Sometimes a naked person runs across the field.

Silly
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

airbusA346

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:58 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 5):
Same thing that always happens in cricket. 22 people shuffle round a field throwing balls at each other, the rest of the planet gets bored and changes the channel. Sometimes a naked person runs across the field.

There'snothing wrong with cricket.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

9VSPO
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:02 am

So do you think the umpires should be supported?

JGPH1A

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:08 am

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 6):
There'snothing wrong with cricket.

No there's nothing wrong with it, it is harmless and sometimes a pleasant way to wile away a summer afternoon (if deck chairs and Pimm's feature prominently). But nothing to get excited about either.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

airbusA346

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 7):

I don't really know, but I think they should at least carry on playing cricket, because Sky Sports seem to think that it will muck up the One Dayers.

Tom.

Jamie757

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 7):

Pakistan went about protesting the decision the wrong way and the officials are within their rights to do what they have done. However, I think that the fans that have spent ££££'s on tickets for tomorrow should be taken into consideration here. The referee should, in my opinion, overrule the decision of the Umpire(s).

Rgds.

9VSPO
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:16 am

If Pakistan forfeit the match it's the fans who will suffer.

RichardPrice

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 7):

Yes, they made a decision within the rules of hte game, and the players decided to try and usurp their authority. If the players can get away with that, whats the point in having umpires in the first place?

David_itl

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:55 am

The basic things

2.14pm - Pakistan take a wicket; ball handed to umpire
2.30pm - Darrell Hair (in association with Billy Doctrove) decides the ball has been "tampered with"; 4th umpire is summonsed, the batsmen choose a replacement ball and 5 penalty runs are awarded.

So sometime in the 16 minute period, the ball's "been got at". Yet the umpires normally inspect the ball at the end of either every over or every other over. Given the Sky Sports has 20 or so cameras and can find no incriminating pictures, we have to ask the question of what Darrell Hair saw i.e. can he name the culprit(s), or is it "the ball looks funny, something's happened and I don't know what caused it so I'll assume it must be a fielder".

This appears to be the chronology post tea;

a) Umpires go out, with no players
b) They return, and said to both teams "you must play immediately". That is what I understand from the PCB chairman Shahriyar Khan's interview with Michael Holding
c) Players and batsmen go out; Pakistan remains
d) 2 minutes go by, and the umpires enquire of the batsman "Are you ready to to play?" . They say yes, there are no fielders and so the bails are removed.
e) Pakistan take to the field, but the umpires are "unwilling" to come out.

Given that they were invited to play and decined, they must be seen to have forfeited the game.

However, the whole thing could have been defused if the umpires drew Inzamam's attention to the condition of the ball and say that they don't know what has occurred (fielder scuffing the ball, ball scuffed because of the pitch or batsmen scoring boundaries which saw the ball end up in the stands) but they feel they have to change the ball. No accusations and the game continues.

airbusA346

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:05 am

According to what a friend has just told me on MSN, the play will not continue tommorow according to Sky Sports News.

Tom.

RichardPrice

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:14 am

Quoting David_itl (Reply 13):
a) Umpires go out, with no players
b) They return, and said to both teams "you must play immediately". That is what I understand from the PCB chairman Shahriyar Khan's interview with Michael Holding
c) Players and batsmen go out; Pakistan remains
d) 2 minutes go by, and the umpires enquire of the batsman "Are you ready to to play?" . They say yes, there are no fielders and so the bails are removed.
e) Pakistan take to the field, but the umpires are "unwilling" to come out.

It appears actually that the timespan in (d) was rather longer, and the timespan between (d) and (e) was 30 minutes.

Banco

Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:23 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 12):
Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 7):

Yes, they made a decision within the rules of hte game, and the players decided to try and usurp their authority. If the players can get away with that, whats the point in having umpires in the first place?

Indeed. They have to be, no choice in the matter. Whether Hair's and Doctrove's actions were ultimately reasonable or otherwise in imposing the five run penalty, teams simply cannot take the matter into their own hands and refuse to play. If a side is allowed to get away with that, then we'll see them doing it in all circumstances.

Pakistan might well have been hard done by, but they really should have made their complaint through official channels after the end of the day's play. As it was, England were out there ready to play, and Pakistan refused to take the field - and made a specific point of their refusal with Kamran Akmal reading a newspaper on the balcony. The Laws are very clear on this, once a team does that, the match is forfeited.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

BradWray

Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:19 am

This was very interesting and unfortunately, I was in the local boozer watching the football so I missed all of the TV coverage.

I wonder what is going to happen in the ODI's with Pakistan, I am sure that 2 different umpires will be used and Pakistan will play in them all.

Is anybody going to the England V Lancashire game on the 24th?

Bradley!  Smile
Hamilton: English for 'Alonso's bitch' :D

VHVXB

Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:35 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 16):
Whether Hair's and Doctrove's actions were ultimately reasonable or otherwise in imposing the five run penalty, teams simply cannot take the matter into their own hands and refuse to play.

Funny this is has not been the first this has happened when Darrel Hair when he has been officiating a match.

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 11):
If Pakistan forfeit the match it's the fans who will suffer.

exactly right

scbriml

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:39 pm

It's a pretty sad state of affairs all round.

Unless the umpires saw something that wasn't picked up by the TV cameras (seems unlikely given the number of cameras these days) the changing of the ball and awarding of five runs seems somewhat of an over-reaction. However, in defence of the umpires, they're pretty experienced and would quickly be able to spot something on the ball that wasn't "normal".

While the awarding of five runs is neither here nor there in the context of the match, it is of course effectively accusing Pakistan of cheating.

That Pakistan refused to play after tea was taken is beyond dispute. Despite being given a second chance by the umpires they still refused. When the England batsmen were asked if they were ready to play and confirmed they were, the lack of opponents on the field left the umpires little option. The symbolic removal of the bails was a clear signal to all that the match was over.

Pakistan's later "attempt" to show willing to play by taking the field was a futile effort to rewind a situation that had already reached its inevitable conclusion.

I'm afraid Pakistan played this one wrong. They should have continued the match after tea, then sought to resolve the issue with the match referee at the end of play.

I don't think there's any bad feeling between the team, and I hope the 1-day matches go ahead.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

VHVXB

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:26 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 19):
I'm afraid Pakistan played this one wrong. They should have continued the match after tea, then sought to resolve the issue with the match referee at the end of play.

Exactly right there would have been the best outcome for both teams.

BradWray

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:40 pm

The Pakistan manager has realised a statement saying that Pakistan will not play in any test matches, umpired by D. Hair in the future.

The Pakistan captain, Inzimam ul-Haq has also demanded the ICC to to undergo a trail using all of the TV footage from the 4th day.

A press conference is being held in Regents Park with the PCB and the ICC, where they have said that only Pakistani media can attend the press conference.

Bradley!
Hamilton: English for 'Alonso's bitch' :D

RichardPrice

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:02 pm

Quoting BradWray (Reply 21):
The Pakistan manager has realised a statement saying that Pakistan will not play in any test matches, umpired by D. Hair in the future.

Are they also going to take their ball and go home? Tell their mommies? Throw a tantrum, oh wait already doing that!

VHVXB

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:34 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 22):
Are they also going to take their ball and go home? Tell their mommies? Throw a tantrum, oh wait already doing that!

This is what sub continent teams are like they do nothing but complain and its unbelievable the amount of corruption that goes on in those countries in regards to cricket

mhodgson

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:30 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/5269906.stm

Inzamam-ul-Haq to face two charges from the ICC
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

MYT332

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:36 pm

How exactly do you tamper with the ball?

Is it possible to turn it into a seek and destroy type ball that never misses? I don't get it.
One Life, Live it.

NAV20

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:04 am

A charge of 'bringing the game into disrepute' was to be expected for any captain who deliberately fails to get his team back on to the ground at the right time. International cricketers are entertainers, after all - they have a duty to give the public their money's worth.

But the charge of 'changing the condition of the ball' is very serious (and unprecedented). It suggests that the condition of the ball concerned shows clear evidence of damage other than wear and tear. I saw Hair showing it to Inzamam on TV, as it happens, and it DID look very odd. One side was very 'rich and red' and the other was mainly pink but showed an almost-white half-inch band of wear alongside the seam. And the ball that got Cook out certainly reverse-swung like a banana..........
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

RichardPrice

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:10 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 25):
How exactly do you tamper with the ball?

Is it possible to turn it into a seek and destroy type ball that never misses? I don't get it.

You can pick one side of it, including the seam, to make it more rough so the airflow over the ball is uneven, allowing for greater swing and reverse swing.

You are only allowed to polish the ball, and even then only using sweat or saliva - you cant use suncream or any other substance, and you cannot PHYSICALLY change the surface of the ball any other way.

Polishing alone achieves the same end result as tampering, but a lot slower and to a much smaller degree. Tampering was outlawed because it can dramatically change the behaviour of the ball between individual bowlings and thus was deemed unfair to the batsmen, while limiting it to polishing allows for a more consistent behaviour over a period of time.

NAV20

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:23 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 27):
You are only allowed to polish the ball, and even then only using sweat or saliva

Remembering all those fast bowlers in the post-war years with fat advertising contracts from haircream manufacturers, Richard Price. And I believe that a certain brand of peppermints was very popular with the England seamers during last year's Ashes summer.......  Smile
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

mhodgson

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:27 am

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 28):
And I believe that a certain brand of peppermints was very popular with the England seamers during last year's Ashes summer.......

Bloody conspiracy theorists...  Silly
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

baroque

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:11 am

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 23):
This is what sub continent teams are like they do nothing but complain and its unbelievable the amount of corruption that goes on in those countries in regards to cricket

How are the pitch reports coming along VHVXB?

Watching it on BBC radio made it difficult to pick the details that Nav20 saw. If it was that obvious, Hair may well have a point. It would be interesting to know what the interactions were with Doctrove. Short of it being easy to show something illegal had happened, this will get really nasty. Officialdom can hardly afford to lose at this stage.

It does seem rather different to the Ray Illingworth walkoff with which the ABC seemed to want to compare it tonight. There Snow had been assaulted. But it was the case that for a while, there were umpires and Aus batsmen but no England fielding side.

Hair is a bit of a hard man and Pakistan seem to get pretty toey at times. The really stupid thing was Pakistan were still in a fairly good position even if they did have to use a more normal ball. At one stage Sri Lanka asked for Hair-free matches, not sure if that is still true.

You would have thought that the extra umps and match refs and whatever might have been able to arrive at a solution.

Now it seems to be getting close to the bodyline efforts. I hope there are no sacrifices this time as there was with the career of Larwood.

RichardPrice

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:13 am

The Pakistani skipper Inzamam-ul-Haq has now been charged with bringing the game into disrepute, and also changing the condition of the ball.

Its official! Hearing scheduled for Friday.

mhodgson

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:15 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 31):
Its official! Hearing scheduled for Friday.

*cough*

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 24):

Silly

RichardPrice

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:15 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 32):

*cough*

Oh bloody hell.

MYT332

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:21 am

Ahh thanks for the explanation, I never knew!

Sweat and Spit though? Gross!
One Life, Live it.

9VSPO
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:32 am

I guess Darrell Hair is off Pakistans christmas card list now then.  

They should have continued with the game and complained after in my opinion. Now it's just turning into a farce.

[Edited 2006-08-21 18:35:01]

sayem55

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:41 am

Changing the ball, accusing Pakistan of ball-tempering without any warning and proof is something that needs to be questioned. And if the umpires have no answer to that, the crowed did not pay to watch Hair's fat @$$.

[Edited 2006-08-21 18:42:33]
StarFighter

TSV

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 30):
It does seem rather different to the Ray Illingworth walkoff with which the ABC seemed to want to compare it tonight.

The ABC also compared it to an Australia v India Test when Gavaskar was given out and was so disgusted at being given out took off the other batsman off as well and they too would have forfeited the match only for the quick thinking of the Indian Manager to keep the other batsman out there and send the new batsman in quickly to join him despite Gavaskar's disgust. Rod Marsh said India went on to win that match which is what Pakistan should have done as if to say there it didn't matter what you penalised us we still won.
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

9VSPO
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:55 am

Quoting Sayem55 (Reply 36):
Changing the ball, accusing Pakistan of ball-tempering without any warning and proof is something that needs to be questioned.

I agree but Pakistan had no problem with England so personally I think they should have continued play for the fans and discussed it later. The issue seems to be Darrell Hair who has also been controvertial in the past and now Pakistan won't play with him. The ball had played like 52 overs and hit the boundries a few times so it could easily have just got damaged.

I think someone said that if it was Dickie Bird then this would never have happened.

[Edited 2006-08-21 18:56:59]

Banco

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:32 am

And I believe that a certain brand of peppermints was very popular with the England seamers during last year's Ashes summer.......

It was Stuart Clark that said that, someone who didn't even play in the series, and ridiculed by the English players as an outright lie, and then withdrawn and an apology issued by Clark, who said he had been joking.

However,

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 26):
And the ball that got Cook out certainly reverse-swung like a banana..........

Does not remotely suggest anything. So Cook got a ball that reverse swung; both English and Pakistani bowlers got reverse swing in this game without anyone suggesting anything untoward was going on.

Remembering all those fast bowlers in the post-war years with fat advertising contracts from haircream manufacturers

Or that a certain Australian one day player recently wore zinc cream, as he always does (to protect from the sun) in a game played at night under a closed roof.  scratchchin 

Skulduggery undoubtedly goes on, and probably by pretty much all teams at all levels. I know I've played in matches where I've been absolutely certain that either a bowler on my side or the opposition has used liniment or somesuch substance to enhance the shine on one side of the ball. Cheating, basically, but proving it is virtually impossible.

In this case, the crucial part about possible ball tampering is that it was in the opinion of the umpires; they don't have to prove anything, any more than they have to prove that an lbw was going to hit the stumps. Having said that, it seems to me that umpire Hair, though by many accounts a decent man (but not our overseas pro, who was less than complimentary!) may well have overstepped the mark; we don't really know.

Where Pakistan completely blew any sympathy they probably would have had was with their reaction. Let's not forget that the umpires gave them TWO opportunities to come on to the field, and they only had to give them one. Hair apparently told Inzi that if they didn't come out the second time they would forfeit the match and that was the time we saw Kamran Akmal with his pads off reading the paper on the balcony. At that point, I'm not too sure the umpires had that much alternative but to default them, or tacitly acknowledge that they were not the game's final arbiters.

So now we're left with a position where it is distinctly possible that all the protagonists are in the wrong. Great. Get out of that one if you can.

Just about the only innocent party here is England. How ironic.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

JGPH1A

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:35 am

Watching it on BBC radio made it difficult

I bet it did ! Last time I watched something on the radio, I couldn't see a thing.

David_itl

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:46 am

I'm sure most of the British posters would by now have seen the photo which allegedly shows a Pakistani player pracitising some guitar notes on a ball. Whether the photo was from yesterday is something that may have to be proven.

Now if Darrell Hair could see that happening , he must have a wierd kind of X-ray vision which allowed him to see hands but no body?!?!

RichardPrice

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:11 am

Quoting David_itl (Reply 41):
Now if Darrell Hair could see that happening , he must have a wierd kind of X-ray vision which allowed him to see hands but no body?!?!

He doesnt have to explicitly see the incident, he only has to use his experience to decide if the balls condition was a result of natural play or tampering. He noticed that the ball had pretty suddenly changed its character and took a look at it, thereon deciding to change for a new ball and issue the penalty.

Note that the captain stands charged, not the bowler at the time the ball was changed.

Its very hard to artificially tamper with the ball AND make it look like natural roughage, and the ball would have been presented to the ICC in order for them to make the decision whether or not to raise charges against the Pakistani team (which they did).

9VSPO
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:22 am

VHVXB

Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:39 am

How are the pitch reports coming along VHVXB?

Oh yes how could I forget Mark Waugh and Shane Warne pitch reports scandal

TSV

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:26 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 39):
It was Stuart Clark that said that, someone who didn't even play in the series, and ridiculed by the English players as an outright lie, and then withdrawn and an apology issued by Clark, who said he had been joking.

Are you sure it was Stuart Clark? AFAIR it was whatshisname (tall gangly long haired left hand quick who also didn't play in the series but did a stint in County Cricket with Simon Jones).

Then again I could be Murray Walker (or you could be).
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

baroque

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:36 pm

Quoting TSV (Reply 37):
It does seem rather different to the Ray Illingworth walkoff with which the ABC seemed to want to compare it tonight.

The ABC also compared it to an Australia v India Test when Gavaskar was given out and was so disgusted at being given out took off the other batsman off as well and they too would have forfeited the match only for the quick thinking of the Indian Manager to keep the other batsman out there and send the new batsman in quickly to join him despite Gavaskar's disgust. Rod Marsh said India went on to win that match which is what Pakistan should have done as if to say there it didn't matter what you penalised us we still won.

Yes, Uncle Rodders gave quite a sane account of it all. I did notice the Gavaskar bit and should have mentioned it, but I am still trying to figure out how in another series Tendulkar was out lbw, when hit on the head. I know he is small, BUT......

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 40):
Watching it on BBC radio made it difficult

I bet it did ! Last time I watched something on the radio, I couldn't see a thing.

You need more imagination, with the pithy tones of Flobelt in your ears, you don't need a TV screen, and if the colour is poor, try a bit more Madeira! With surround sound (not that I have it), you cannot complain about poor camera angles.

Pip pip, must go and check the pitch conditions, John will be ringing soon.

blrsea

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:53 pm

Afridi admits tampering

Quote:
In an exclusive interview with TIMES NOW in Feb 2006, Pakistan all rounder Shahid Afridi admits that Pakistani players can't do without tampering. This is the first time any player has made such an explosive admission and that too to a TV channel.

Q. Do you get the time to tamper with the ball?

A . We do not have that much time. Only few get to do some bit of ball tampering. If the weather is dry and hot then you can get some help from the pitch while bowling. But in that also you have to “help” the ball yourself.

Q. Earlier, I remember the ball used to go straight from the wicket-keeper to Ijaz bhai at point?

A. Yeah, those who knew about tampering at that time used to do it.

Q. They all used to have long nails also?

A. The kind of cricket that is going on, on these pitches, it’s death for the bowlers, if you don’t tamper.

Q. Do you feel bowlers get less advantage?

A. If any team tampers with the ball then I don’t think there’s anything wrong in that. It’s torture for the bowlers to bowl.

Q. Do you think the ICC should make ball tampering legal? The umpire checks you every time if you try to do something?

A. They shouldn't make it so official that teams start doing it from the 3rd or 4th over itself. I don’t think any rule can make it official. But you should be allowed to do some tampering after the 30th or 40th over. The game and its rules are changing so this should also be allowed.

Q. So you can tamper the ball after the 30th over?

A. They should keep it to a limit.

Q. Should they change the ball?

A. In any case, the ball is changed after the 35th over.

Q. Umpire Steve Bucknor always smells the ball to check whether there is anything on it?

A. Some people put sweets or Vaseline for it to shine. The gums and mints players eat are put on the ball to make it shine.

Q. Does it happen with mint?

A. Yes, it happens with mint also. Personally, I have never tried it with mint. But all these fast bowlers and fielders standing at mid-off use all this. The English players use it a lot.

(By Faisal Shariff, Dinesh Chopra)

HAWK21M

Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:05 pm

Quoting BradWray (Reply 21):

That leaves India & Bangladesh from asia  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

VHVXB

Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:51 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 48):
That leaves India & Bangladesh from asia
regds
MEL

LOL thats right. The Sri Lankan Cricket team doesn't want anything to do with Darrel Hair after what happened in 1995