LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Another Beer Thread!

Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:49 pm

Ok folks so I am going to check out this store tomorrow and this is the following beers they have.

I need some advice from the Germans on which of their beers is worth a buy so I do not waste money.

Any suggestions on anything except the obvious Pilsner Urquell, Grolsch etc etc.

Premium Bottled Beers
Australia
Fosters
Belgium
Hoegaarden

Canada
LaBatts
Moosehead
Molson Ice
Molson Golden

China
Red Dragon
Tsing Tao

Costa Rica
Cerveza Imperial

Czech Reublic
Pilsner Urquell
Staropramen

Dominican Republic
Presidente

Greece
Athenia

Bahamas
Kalik

Germany
Bitburger
Becks Reg./Dark/Oct.
Dinkel Acker Reg./Dark
Tucher Weiss 16 oz.
Heffe, Krystal, Dark 16 oz
Spaten Oct. Reg./Dark
St. Pauli Girl Reg./Dark
Warsteiner
Hacker Pschorr Oct.
Edel Hell, Weiss &
Lowenbrau
Julius Echter Weiss - 16 oz
Weihenstephan Weiss
Kostritzer Dark &
Octoberfest
Bischoff Weiss - 16 oz
DAB Low Carb
Eku 28
Erdinger Weiss - 16 oz

Holland
Amstel Light
Grolsch - 16 oz
Heineken Reg./Dark
De Horste-Dievels' Nat
750 ml $10.99

Japan
Sapporo
Kirin Ichiban - 16 oz

Jamaica
Red Stripe

USA
Samuel Adams
Woodchuck Amber Cider
World Select
Sea Dog - Blueberry or
Raspberry Wheat Ale

England
Bass Ale
Newcastle Brown Ale
Boddington Pub Ale - 16 oz
Entire Butt
France
Fischer LaBelle
Kronenburg

Ireland
Harp
Guinness Stout
Guinness 16 oz Pub
Guinness 12 oz Draught

Mexico
Corona
Dos Equis Reg./Dark
Tecate

Non-Alcoholic
Sharps - USA
Haake Beck - Germany
O'Doul's Amber
St. Pauli

Russia
Obolon Lager
Baltka
#1 Lager, #3 Lager,
#4 Dark, #6 Dark Porter,
#9 Pale Ale

mdsh00

RE: Another Beer Thread!

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:15 pm

If you want to try an Indian beer, check out Taj Mahal or Kingfisher. Both are pretty good.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

QXatFAT

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:22 pm

You know what, I actually find Red Stripe not half bad! SKOL is something not to bad eather but thats pretty much the thing in Brasil haha.
Don't Tread On Me!

NeilYYZ

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:43 pm

Well, being from Canada I naturally enjoy Budweiser  Wink (Yes, yes, I know Budweiser is American, it also happens to be the offical beer of NASCAR, which I also happen to love, I'm a crappy Canadian)

However, I just got back from the pub and they had a deal on Molson Ice, it's a great beer. I'd go for that, but what do I know, most true beer drinkers disregard anything that I say based on the fact that my favorite beer is Budweiser.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:18 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 1):
If you want to try an Indian beer, check out Taj Mahal or Kingfisher. Both are pretty good.

Jesus I know about those, They aint on the list.

Is any of those german ones good?

DTManiac

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:59 pm

Well, my favourite German beers from your list (in no special order):

Bitburger
Erdinger
Warsteiner
Köstritzer Dark

Bitburger and Warsteiner are among the top 5 selling beers in Germany, good pilseners in my opinion.

Erdinger is the best wheat beer I ever had together with Franziskaner.

Köstritzer is an excellent beer, especially of you dont like it too strong. Smooth taste, but relatively expensive unfortunately.

The Hacker Pschorr stuff is very good as well, had it at the Octoberfest several times. If you can get the Octoberfest beer now, you should probably get some since its not available the whole year long.

Have fun getting wasted,
Frederik
Gig 'em Aggies!!!

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:01 pm

Quoting DTManiac (Reply 5):
Bitburger and Warsteiner are among the top 5 selling beers in Germany, good pilseners in my opinion.

Patrick will now kill you that you said Warsteiner. I like to mix mine with Belvedere Vodka  Silly

DTManiac

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:24 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 6):
Patrick will now kill you that you said Warsteiner.

Well, Patrick and I have differences concerning several things. I like Lufthansa, for example...
Gig 'em Aggies!!!

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:28 pm

Quoting DTManiac (Reply 7):
Well, Patrick and I have differences concerning several things. I like Lufthansa, for example...

You probably dont smoke the reefer every night also!  Silly

DTManiac

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:33 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 8):
You probably dont smoke the reefer every night also!

No, not that often.
Gig 'em Aggies!!!

Sabena332

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:50 pm

I am a wheat-beer drinker and I have to say that Hacker Pschorr is my new favourite since I tried it three weeks ago. Erdinger is the second best in my opinion but I buy it rarely nowadays because it is totally overpriced, my local beverage store sells a case with 20 0.5 liter bottles for over 14 EUR.  Wow!

When it comes to Pils then I have nothing against Fiege, Bitburger, Kronen, Königs or Jever. On the other hand are Warsteiner, Krombacher, DAB and Veltins disgusting pisses, these beers are a disgrace for the brewing guild and I avoid them whenever I can.

Then there is of course Tyskie, I am so glad that it is available here now, one damned good beer!

By the way, here are two pics from last weekend, you can get an idea what we drunk. Big grin

We started with this:

And continued with these:

And yes, I was pretty dizzy after we finished a few of them. Big grin  Silly

Quoting DTManiac (Reply 7):

I thought that it is already sad enough that you like Lufthansa, even more shocking was it when you told me that you are a member of the CDU.  Wink On the other hand do we also share the same interests such as beer, football, and the green stuff. Big grin By the way, how about a Kebab at the Uni Center on Thursday evening?

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

ajd1992

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:58 pm

Well, i certainly ain't German, but ich liebe Erdinger!! Try some, it's really good. the best thing is, it comes in 500ml bottles!

EasternSon

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:04 pm

The premium Australian beer, in my opinion, is Crown Lager. A very good beer, even by Aussie "hop the hell out of your beer" standards.

I also really enjoyed Toohey's Old. It's a black lager, which is a nice change of pace.

Good luck, and let me know if you find anything we should try.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

yooyoo

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:36 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 10):
Then there is of course Tyskie, I am so glad that it is available here now, one damned good beer!

I took 6 bottles of Tyskie to my neighbours. A few of us gathered and talked some shit. Typical Saturday evening.

I gave the boys a bottle to try. I drank mine back quickly as i had a huge thirst. The others drank theirs but not after some poor comments.

What a waste. Usually i leave the extra beers but in this case i took them back home where they will be appreciated. Bunch of blue collar Canadian hicks.  Wink

I have heard of good things with regards to Erdinger.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

MYT332

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:39 pm

I want a beer now. 15:39 is an acceptable time I guess?
One Life, Live it.

yooyoo

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:45 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 14):
I want a beer now. 15:39 is an acceptable time I guess?

Comon !! Is there really an "unacceptable" time?

Drink away!!!

DAL767400ER

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:51 pm

Depending on how much money you have at hand, I'd recommend trying every single one of those  Silly .

Oh, aside from DAB Low Carb of course. "Low Carb beer", wtf? If I want to drink beer, I want to get drunk, not worry about how many carbs it has.

halls120

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:16 am

Add to your US list "Tuppers Hop Pocket Ale" brewed by Old Dominion Brewing Co.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

DTManiac

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:55 am

By the way, how about a Kebab at the Uni Center on Thursday evening?

I am in. Just give me a call when you will be there.
Gig 'em Aggies!!!

NoUFO

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:59 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Thread starter):
Bitburger

That was great in the early 80s, but nowadays it's just junk.

Becks Reg./Dark/Oct.

No.

St. Pauli Girl Reg./Dark

No!

Warsteiner

yuck 

DAB Low Carb

Are you nuts?

The only two decent pilsener that are quite easy to find are Jever and Flensburger, although both were a lot better 20 years ago when it was still difficult to get your hands on them.
Than there is Einbecker Brauherren (not the regular Pils!) which is already comparatively difficult to find.

Considering you drink Foster's and Warsteiner and other sorry excuses for a beer, you probably won't like them, though.  Smile
I support the right to arm bears

Sabena332

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:36 am

Quoting DTManiac (Reply 18):
I am in. Just give me a call when you will be there.

Cool, I will call you when I start here, usually I am there in 10-15 minutes, depends on which way I take (there are nasty traffic jams on the A43 lately so I prefer to drive via Bochum-Stiepel or Witten which takes 5 minutes longer).

See you on Thursday!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

BCAInfoSys

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:04 am

I can't say it enough.. Pyramid is in my opinion one of the best microbreweries in the United States. If you haven't tried their Hefewizen, then you need to out right now and pick up a 6-pack! It's one of the best Hefe's you'll ever have. Hmmm.. Hefe with lemon.. *drool*.

Can't wait to get back to SEA next week...

Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

vinniewinnie

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:21 am

I need some advice from the Germans on which of their beers is worth a buy so I do not waste money.

WTF?

Asking advise about beers to Germans? We Belgians are definitely superior in taste and variety of beers! After all Belgian beer is known worldwide.

I'd give a try to Leffe Brune if you like brown beer. It's tasty a bit fruity and quit strong!

http://www.beerpal.com/articles/TDS-leffebrune.asp

Sabena332

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:42 am

Quoting VinnieWinnie (Reply 22):
We Belgians are definitely superior in taste and variety of beers!

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

After all Belgian beer is known worldwide.

German beer not?

Patrick

yooyoo

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 23):
German beer not?

I think you're missing some words here.  Wink

After all Belgian beer is known worldwide.

Right, And Germany has absolutely no worldwide recognition?  Wink

When i think of Belgium, i think of average chocolate and gun powder.  Wink

srbmod

Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:20 am

Samuel Adams

Avoid the "Brewer Patriot" 4 pack of Colonial Recipe brews. I bought one of these last weekend, and only two of the four beers were worth drinking, the Traditional Ginger Honey Ale and the James Madison Dark Wheat Ale. The George Washington Porter was a bit odd (had molasses and licorice in the recipe) and the 1790 Root Beer Brew was undrinkable.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 17):
Add to your US list "Tuppers Hop Pocket Ale" brewed by Old Dominion Brewing Co.

It's not available where he lives. A shame though, as it's a pretty good brew, a bit too hoppy for me though. But like many microbreweries, they keep their distribution area small so that stores will always have the freshest beer they can. A brewery like Sam Adams has two brewery locations so they can provide a larger area in terms of distribution. In some cases, microbrewies will contract out their brewing in other parts of the country so that they have have their product sold nationwide (In fact, some microbreweries contract out to one of the major breweries to brew for them during slow times for the big breweries). If I were to ever leave Atlanta, I'd probably have to have a case of my favorite local brew (Sweetwater 420) shipped to me on a monthly basis.

vinniewinnie

Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:52 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 23):
German beer not?

I stand with what i said! It's like french fries are they french? Noooo they are Belgian!  Smile

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 24):
When i think of Belgium, i think of average chocolate and gun powder.

If you prefer vedgetable fat well poor you!  Wink Gun powder? how come?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_beer for another reference!

Ask the brits they'll confirm that our chocolate and beer is worth noting!  Wink

DAL767400ER

Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:18 am

Oh, and remember not to forget to get yourself a case of "Samuel Jackson Beer" as well. It'll get you drunk Big grin .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKSLAx8VKfI

skyman

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:59 am

Becks, Bitburger are both good Pilsner. Erdinger is a good Hefe. I´m always in for a Jever, Holsten or Rothaus as well. By the way isn´t Tucher Danish?

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 11):
Well, i certainly ain't German, but ich liebe Erdinger!! Try some, it's really good. the best thing is, it comes in 500ml bottles!

Hefe is always in 500ml. I know the German industry infented something else but that should be forbidden by law.

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 3):
Well, being from Canada I naturally enjoy Budweiser

Sorry wrong thread. We are talking about beer here and not flavoured water. Or pure water?

Sabena332

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:06 am

Quoting Skyman (Reply 28):
By the way isn´t Tucher Danish?

No, they're German, and they make a pretty good wheat beer. Maybe you confused "Tucher" with "Tuborg"?  Wink

Hefe is always in 500ml.

I know that at least Erdinger and Paulaner come in 0.33 liter bottles as well, once I bought a 0.33 case of Erdinger by accident and last Saturday I saw Paulaner in 0.33 liter bottles, the biggest shame is that Paulaner came in 0.33L longneck bottles.... what is the world coming to? Wheat beer in longneck bottles? No style, simply no style!

Sorry wrong thread. We are talking about beer here and not flavoured water. Or pure water?

Bud (even Bud Light) is still better than Miller (or PBR). Bud is not a bad beer and I like to drink it when I am in the USA, Bud Ice is actually quite nice IMO.

Patrick

skyman

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 29):
know that at least Erdinger and Paulaner come in 0.33 liter bottles as well, once I bought a 0.33 case of Erdinger by accident and last Saturday I saw Paulaner in 0.33 liter bottles, the biggest shame is that Paulaner came in 0.33L longneck bottles

I know that, but it is miserable for me there is only 500ml or bigger.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 29):
Bud (even Bud Light) is still better than Miller (or PBR). Bud is not a bad beer and I like to drink it when I am in the USA, Bud Ice is actually quite nice IMO.

Ok I respect your opinion but not the "beer".

Sabena332

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:24 am

Quoting Skyman (Reply 30):
I know that, but it is miserable for me there is only 500ml or bigger.

I am not a big fan of these 0.33L bottles since I only have 0.5L glasses here, one bottle fits perfectly into my glass, when you have 0.33L bottles you always have to split two bottles to fill up one glass.

Quoting Skyman (Reply 30):
Ok I respect your opinion but not the "beer".

It is not that bad, really! When I would have the choice between Bud or Warsteiner, I would clearly prefer a Bud... no kiddin'.

Patrick

AC777LR

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:27 am

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 13):
I took 6 bottles of Tyskie

I just bought six of them on the weekend, its pretty good stuff I must say, I didnt know we sold it in cans too, time to take it to the golf course and improve my game with a little POLISH.
Member since April 2000

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:37 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 19):
Are you nuts?

Why are you saying im nuts? I dont own the store or sell them.

Asking advise about beers to Germans? We Belgians are definitely superior in taste and variety of beers! After all Belgian beer is known worldwide.

ROFL, good joke. Belgian beer doesnt come close to Polish beer.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 25):
Avoid the "Brewer Patriot" 4 pack of Colonial Recipe brews. I bought one of these last weekend, and only two of the four beers were worth drinking, the Traditional Ginger Honey Ale and the James Madison Dark Wheat Ale. The George Washington Porter was a bit odd (had molasses and licorice in the recipe) and the 1790 Root Beer Brew was undrinkable.

Thanks but I didnt need advice on the American stuff, im skipping all of it.

Quoting AC777LR (Reply 32):
I just bought six of them on the weekend, its pretty good stuff I must say, I didnt know we sold it in cans too, time to take it to the golf course and improve my game with a little POLISH.

They come in small and big cans.

Folks I have good news!

I found a Russian deli here that sells Carlsberg and Golden Phesant (Slovak Beer)

I also found Polish Deli in Orlando and one in Orange city which is only 25 minutes away. They have 6 Polish beers they sell there....I bought Zywiec and Okocim today so I feel good! Damn good.

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:12 am

Muahahah!

AC777LR

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:13 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 33):
They come in small and big cans.

Yeah I bought the bottles on the weekend and bought the tall cans tonight, but I finished the bottles cutting the grass today, it is rather good, I am going to try the ZYWIEC tomorrow.
Member since April 2000

QANTAS077

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:21 am

fosters..is that all you can come up with from Australia? we send it to the world cos the rest of the world likes drinking shit beer, if you want a decent Australian beer then try Little Creatures Pale Ale.

sw733

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:25 am

Just had Singha beer (Thailand) for the first time...it was ok, but not something I'd seek out in the future. My personal favorites are Guinness, Tecate, and Boulevard (Kansas City, Missouri, USA)

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:27 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 36):
fosters..is that all you can come up with from Australia? we send it to the world cos the rest of the world likes drinking shit beer, if you want a decent Australian beer then try Little Creatures Pale Ale.

You fool. Read the freaking POST.

Ok folks so I am going to check out this store tomorrow and this is the following beers they have.

AC777LR

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:30 am

Fosters isnt even from Australia in North America its brewed right here in Toronto with Canadian water.  Big grin
Member since April 2000

QANTAS077

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:30 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 38):
You fool. Read the freaking POST.

well your bottle shops shit then....now go ask them to import you a case of Little Creatures. not sure how you manage to come up with Fosters as a premium beer..

[Edited 2006-08-22 03:33:48]

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:32 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 40):
well your bottle shops shit then....now go ask them to import you a case of Little Creatures.

Thank you captain obvious for telling me that the beer in DAYTONA BEACH FLORIDA is crap.

RayChuang

Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:47 pm

I think Belgian beer is actually quite good because like the USA, the Belgians seem to be into to type of craft brewing that is all the rage on this side of the "pond."  Smile

My favorite beer is Anchor Steam Beer from Anchor Brewing Company, a small brewer in San Francisco, CA. Their signature beer is flat-out SUPERB with a very clean taste, something that can't be said for beers made by the big commercial brewers like SAB Miller and Anheuser-Busch. Anchor Steam Beer could probably compare with with the better-quality German and Belgian brews.  yes 

melpax

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:03 pm

Quoting EasternSon (Reply 12):
The premium Australian beer, in my opinion, is Crown Lager. A very good beer, even by Aussie "hop the hell out of your beer" standards.

Crownies aren't too bad, but the Tassie beers, especially Boag's are in another league! Hardly anyone here drinks Fosters.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

QANTAS077

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:10 pm

Quoting Melpax (Reply 43):
Boag's are in another league!

they aren't to bad at all, try and get yourself some little creatures pilsner if you can! won gold medal in its first outing at the Oz beer awards.

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:27 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 40):
well your bottle shops shit then....now go ask them to import you a case of Little Creatures.

It aint my bottle shop. I dont know if you are that daft to realize I wanted advise on the German stuff not the Aussie piss.

Danny

Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:01 pm

Exactly! Excellent beer and now avaliable in Ireland too. LOT767-300ER how could you forget about it?

Lucky42

Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:06 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 3):
Well, being from Canada I naturally enjoy Budweiser (Yes, yes, I know Budweiser is American, it also happens to be the offical beer of NASCAR, which I also happen to love, I'm a crappy Canadian)

That's ok my canadian friend. Although I do drink Bud I LOVE Moosehead beer.
It's smooth can get really get a kick from it and unlike most beers which tend to give me a headache if I consume too many Moosehead never has.

oli80

Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:16 pm

I too am an Erdinger fan. Last time I was drinking it in Germany I was told to put some grains of rice in the bottom of the glass. I'm not sure I understood what it was supposed to do (had drunk quite a few by this time), but it was a local 'expert' telling me to do so, so I obeyed orders.  Wink

Maybe someone on here can enlighten me?

I also have a great love for Hoegaarden. There is nothing nicer (well, maybe a Corona with some lime) than on a hot day, to have a chilled glass of Hoegaarden with a slice of lemon in it. It is extremely refreshing! Have a few of them and you're bound to have a great evening.

One other beer that wasn't on the list, but I would strongly recommend trying to get hold of, would be Fat Tire. It's a really nice beer made in Fort Collins, Colorado.

QANTAS077

Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:30 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 45):
It aint my bottle shop. I dont know if you are that daft to realize I wanted advise on the German stuff not the Aussie piss.

lay off the beer...makes you pretty agro by the sound of it!