greasespot

Polar Bear Penis IN Peril

Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:40 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14485634/

I wanna know who actually thought to go out and measure them in the first place...

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

TedTAce

RE: Polar Bear Penis IN Peril

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:23 am

I think it's actually evidence that global warming is a farce. Trust me if it was getting warmer shrinkage would be the last thing that would be happening  Wink
This space intentionally left blank

CastleIsland

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:24 am

Quoting Greasespot (Thread starter):
I wanna know who actually thought to go out and measure them in the first place...

Had to be 'Westy.  Wink

Seriously, though, as a scientist, I hate articles like these that pander to the general public and make blanket statements that organo-chlorine compounds can do this that or the other.

Plenty of very good therapeutic drugs are organo-chlorines.

That said, what we are talking about here are what are known as "potential endocrine-disruptors," or chemicals that mimic hormonal activity in the body. US EPA has identified some 86,000 of these compounds.

Glad to see they indicated that the article is in Environmental Science & Technology. That is the pre-emminent journal in the Environmental field. I would add, however, that this is more of a toxicological issue, and perhaps another journal, such as Environmental Health Perspectives would have been more appropriate.

Then again, noone here really give a rat's ass about that, do they?
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

ShyFlyer

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:42 pm

See!! Shrinkage does happen!!

Signed,
I lift things up and put them down.