ryangooner

Ben Thatcher - Tackle Or Assault? (football)

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:41 pm

Man City v Portsmouth last night Ben Thatcher flew into pedro Mendes with an elbow and knocked him out..

All Thatcher recieved was a yellow card for the "tackle", what are your opinions on the tackle? would you class it as Assault? Should the Police get involved and treat this as any other Assault that happens outside of football?

My opinion is - This is an assault, it looked deliberate and even though footballers consent to assault by the nature of the game this was uncalled for and over the top resulting in Mendes being knocked out and needing hospital attention.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006390318,00.html

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

mhodgson

RE: Ben Thatcher - Tackle Or Assault? (football)

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:46 pm

It was deliberate; you could see he was never going to get the ball!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Clogman

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:46 pm

Daamn! It looks like he totally knocks him out with the fist. It's pretty difficult to see that he uses the elbow in those pictures.

The police shouldn't be involved. He should get a large fine by the FA and get at least a 10 match suspension.

CO7e7

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:57 pm

It looks deliberate to me...

-Zaki

airbusA346

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:00 am

Well he was also fitting on the way to the hospital I have heard, so he should get done for assault.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

EZYAirbus

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting Clogman (Reply 2):
The police shouldn't be involved. He should get a large fine by the FA and get at least a 10 match suspension.

You not the full quid? Put yourself in Pedro Mendes shoes, if it happened to you, you would call for the assault charge!

As for my views, it is assualt, no doubt about it, whether it happens on the street or on the pitch he has intenionally gone for Pedro, he wasnt interested in getting the ball. Did anyone see the game at all? Maybe Pedro made a late tackle on Ben, and Ben decided he didnt like the tackle and decided to seek revenge perhaps?

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

Clogman

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:12 am

Quoting EZYAirbus (Reply 5):
You not the full quid? Put yourself in Pedro Mendes shoes, if it happened to you, you would call for the assault charge!

Relax man.... I posted my post before I saw the videoclip. I only saw the Suns clips. And I didnt know it was that bad until I saw the second clip.
After seeing the second clip I totally agree that the police should be involved.
There is no doubt about it.

[Edited 2006-08-24 17:13:59]

EZYAirbus

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:15 am

Quoting Clogman (Reply 6):
Relax man.... I posted my post before I saw the videoclip. I only saw the Suns clips. And I didnt know it was that bad until I saw the second clip.
After seeing the second clip I totally agree that the police should be involved.
There is no doubt about it.

In that case I apologise for my previous post, hopefully no offence taken!
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

martinairyyz

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:22 am

Bloody hell, that guy should be jailed and banned from football for life - Mendes is lucky not to be a criple... If anyone considersw it a fair tacke, they should have their head examined, then sod off..... this is the worst I've ever seen!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNCpHGVPJ-w
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

ryangooner

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:37 am

Its being reported now that this is the 3rd time he has elbowed players, 1 player being in china and suffering a collapsed lung after the challenge.

I believe he should be arrested and charged with Assault occasioning actual bodily harm at the very least.

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

BradWray

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:43 am

Quoting EZYAirbus (Reply 5):
Did anyone see the game at all? Maybe Pedro made a late tackle on Ben, and Ben decided he didnt like the tackle and decided to seek revenge perhaps?

I seen the full game and Pedro didnt perform any actions that would force Ben to do that!

The police and the FA are both dealing with the incident.

Bradley!  Smile
Hamilton: English for 'Alonso's bitch' :D

CastleIsland

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:45 am

Absolutely filty tackle. In my mind, that's a red card and a major suspension, if not a lifetime ban, but keep the law out of it.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

Clogman

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:29 am

Quoting EZYAirbus (Reply 7):
In that case I apologise for my previous post, hopefully no offence taken!

No worries man  Smile  Wink

brettbrett21

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:05 am

that was disgusting he should definatly be arrested for that and a very looong ban. there was absolutly no need for that, when you see it on TV you can see that he doesn't even look at the ball! people like that don't deserve to play football at professional level, if I was his manager he'd be in the reserve team until he proved he can act like a responsible adult and not a child.

tosser
i'm so excited i wish i could wet my pants!

martinairyyz

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 11):
that's a red card and a major suspension, if not a lifetime ban, but keep the law out of it.

Why? WHY? Just becuase he is a "pro" sportsman (we saw how pro he is) he is above the law? Screw that, jail the bum!
Chelsea Football Club supporter.