Any Bus Drivers?

Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:28 pm

Any bus drivers here?
rolf

SlamClick

RE: Any Bus Drivers?

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:11 am

Yep. A-320. How 'bout you?
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

NWDC10

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:46 am

My brother is a bus driver for Seattle (King County/Metro). He hates his job but he makes "good" money and it pays the bills and puts food in his stomach. Robert NWDC10

NWDC10

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:48 am

And by the way: if i drove a bus, i'd love to drive a Crown Super Coach. I have a link in my profile. Robert NWDC10

AirCop

Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:50 am

In the area I grew up the districts either used the Crown or Gillig. Both buses were real tough buses, better than the school buses seen today.

ACDC8

Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:56 am

I just started with our local transit as well. I guess it's time I reached that age to start settling down and thinking about the future, or at least that's what my girlfriend told me to do ...  Silly . Seriously though, it offers good hours, good benefits and pays quite well. I drive one of these ....

But, not so colorful and the door is on the other side.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

aloges

Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:57 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 5):

"Downhill Circular"?  rotfl 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

David L

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:06 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 6):
"Downhill Circular"?

AKA "downward spiral".  Smile

thepilot

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 am

I am known as an "Glorified Bus Driver" aka a pilot.
From YVR

AsstChiefMark

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:09 am

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

aloges

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting David L (Reply 7):
AKA "downward spiral"

AKA "Scotland"  duck 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ACDC8

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 6):
"Downhill Circular"?

Its the best picture I could find. Didn't even pay attention to what was on the sign ....  Silly

57AZ

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:56 am

Yes. Spent a year driving over the road Van Hools. Now I drive a streetcar as a volunteer. Could work for either Sun Tran or a school district if I wanted to as I have the necessary endorsements. The Street Railway's Motor Bus Division has a number of coaches, most of which need minimal work to get roadworthy but some of which woulr require significant restoration. The nearly roadworthy units are mostly late model GMC Transit buses including the Fishbowls. However, as Training Manager and a regular street railway motorman, conductor and dispatcher, I don't have much time to get involved with the Motor Bus Division's activities.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

FlyingTexan

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:28 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 9):

Wonder what country that is in?

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 12):
Van Hools.

So you are a Van Hooligan?
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

strasserb

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:03 pm

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 13):
Wonder what country that is in?

It's in Germany. Funny though.
Btw: Did you know that the cars of the FRA airport company all have "F-AG .." on the registration number plate?  Smile
Still, even in the most arid desert is an airport somewhere ...

cptkrell

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:20 pm

AsstChief's Rep #9 pic reminds me helping host a naked lady party bus to the first Super Bowl in Detroit (actually Pontiac, MI Silverdome) in the early 80's.

A local saloon owner rented the bus and four rather attractive strippers to serve sauce to the party patrons. The bus got stuck in ice after the game and those who weren't totally annebriated had a Super Ball party whilst waiting for a (rather large) tow truck. No one, sell-included, was the least bit concerned about getting home "late". Regards...jack
all best; jack

808TWA

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:53 pm

I do know that EmiratesA345 would be interested in this thread. I believe he has his bus license.
Love is in the air, so practice safe flying

CON207

Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:48 pm

Hi

I've been driving buses for over eleven years here in the UK.
Some of the Anetters here know me well. I drive for a company called Trentbarton buses Ltd.

Regards

Sue  Smile
Being ill sucks. Never take life for granted!!

emiratesa345

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:22 am

I'm not a bus driver, but a service attendant. I take care of the fueling and fluid levels on our fleet of coaches, as well as the cleanliness of the interior. I also wash the buses by driving them through a giant "bus wash". AIn the event of a breakdown, its also my job to drive out in a replacement and either drive back with the defective unit, or wait for a hook.

This is one of 14 of the newest additions to our fleet. 2006 Nova LFS. In this photo it had just arrived from the factory and still has not been put in service.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The majority of our fleet comprises of the New Flyer D40LF. The most recent that we've acquired are from 2002, others being purchased in '96 (Powered by Natural Gas), '94 and '92. They all look very similar with slight changes throughout the years.

Finally, here's me behind the wheel of a NOVA LFS.

Quoting Rolfen (Thread starter):
Any bus drivers here?

Why do you ask?

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

sunshine79

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:28 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 5):

How the hell you ended up with a bus from my home town of Sunderland, I'll never know, lol.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

dba4u

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:35 am

Not a driver, rather a fan. But chances are about 50/50 I'll start an office job with a local company by 2008 which means that I will "have" to drive from time to time. Id rather be a simple busdriver, but the pay is horrible.

If you're interested: www.buspix.de

http://racuda.ra.funpic.de/VHH0615.jpg
Soon working on one of these?

808TWA

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:37 am

Quoting 808TWA (Reply 16):
I do know that EmiratesA345 would be interested in this thread. I believe he has his bus license.

Quoting EmiratesA345 (Reply 18):
EmiratesA345

Ah-ha....I knew you would respond. I sent you an email after my post (#16) just to alert you!  Big grin

ps....How was the Av.World sale?.....I couldn't make it as I was in YUL

-Alan
Love is in the air, so practice safe flying

TAM1079

Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:43 am

Yep....count me in as a pilot on the ground! I drive tour buses. And I gotta give you transit drivers ALOT of credit. I don't know of my blood pressure would survive a week of driving in the city with the nut jobs. LOL Stick me to a nice piece of interstate, or a national park. Its a much more enjoyable driving experience.
LOL @ the Van Hooligans. I've never heard that. Only Van Hoopty....which is pretty much how I feel about T800/900s. They are the beastily things. And in some wind...WOOO WEEE. They are good shuttle buses though. Kinda like old 737's....just keep on going and going and going and going. I currently drive the Setra S417....the 45 foot benz thats just as tempremental. LOL. The computer really likes to throw  hissyfit  alot. But I still love it. Nothing I've ever driven drives like it. It eats up mountain roads like candy, with little lean.
If anyone is familiar with the Nurburgring racing circut in Germany.....I think it could throw down a 15-17min lap time. Which....in a 53,000lb vechicle would be impressive.  checkeredflag 
So I gotta ask...since every driver has had it happen at one time or another. Whats been the worst thing you've ever had happen on your bus? One time in Vegas...a lady went #2 ALLLLLL OOOOOOOVER my bathroom. The walls, the floor, the toliet. I still get the dry heaves.
Here are some pictures from my travels.  Smile Anyone else have bus pictures?

This is outside of Fresno, going up into Kings Canyon National Park.

In Kings Canyon NP

Same trip....with a Van Hoopty C2045 trailing behind.

In front of the Air Force One building at The Regan Library. Simi Valley, CA

A Prevost H345 Entertainer. Prada Marfa, Marfa, TX

MCI J4500 San Diego @ Sunrise

Setra- Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada.

HKGKaiTak

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:13 am

I'm not yet a bus driver but hoping to get my license this year and doing some casual work next year ... have been a bus enthusiast for as long as I've been a plane enthusiast. (The section of my photo gallery on buses & other transit is far bigger than that for aircraft)

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 5):
I drive one of these ....

I didn't know there were many Darts in Canada ... btw, I absolutely hate Darts.
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

ACDC8

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:08 am

Quoting Sunshine79 (Reply 19):
How the hell you ended up with a bus from my home town of Sunderland, I'll never know, lol.

I just did a search on Google Images, and it was the nicest of the bunch. What are the chances, eh?  Big grin

Quoting HKGKaiTak (Reply 23):
I didn't know there were many Darts in Canada ... btw, I absolutely hate Darts.

I don't know about the rest of Canada, but in BC there are quiet a number of them. Terrible to drive, no power, spring brakes and only have a 50% dispatch reliability. We're supposed to be getting some new ones next year, wait to see what we'll be getting.

OB1504

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:02 am

Not a bus driver, but a fan...

One of the Miami-Dade Transit BlueBird TranShuttle CS. They're not known for their comfort, reliability, or quietness, and are going to be replaced by new Optima (or is it NABI now?) Opus midibuses.

1993 Flxible Metro. There are a handful left in service now, and they'll probably be retired when the second batch of the new 2006 NABI 40-LFWs arrive. This photo was featured as www.miamidadetransit.com's January 2006 "Picture of the Month". My first ride in one of these, I missed my stop by three blocks since I couldn't figure out how to press the yellow stop tape, being used to the cords on the newer buses.

One of the first NABI 40-LFWs. That's 9322 parked in front of it. This is a testament to how Miami-Dade Transit keeps their schedules. Both of these buses were on the same route, and were supposed to be running fifteen minutes apart...

Here's an American Ikarus bus that's also on the way out.

And one of the buses that's replacing it, in the new Miami-Dade Transit colour scheme. They're like Delta, with buses in three different liveries, not counting the repulsive "trolley" wraps on some of the BlueBirds.

Finally, one of only fifty NABI 416s. They were delivered in 1998 and sported the then-new Miami-Dade Transit colours. Since then, all of the NABIs joining the fleet have been low-floor models.

FlyingTexan

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:59 pm

Quoting TAM1079 (Reply 22):
A Prevost H345 Entertainer

Now THATS class. A Prevost. Pre-owned, a few years old, they sill cost REAL $$$. Interesting pic, too.

Thanks for you other pix and story. Do the diners slip you a $20 and comp your meal OTR?

One time in Vegas...a lady went #2 ALLLLLL OOOOOOOVER my bathroom

Continental did that to my bag last year BGR-EWR-MSY-IAH-LAS.

Anyone seen the Max we have in Vegas? Of course yall've all seen the double deckers we have. (called the Deuce made by Alexander Dennis) I call it the Douche.

A deuce got in a wreck on the 15 @ Trop a few months ago. Thankfully, no passengers were on board. It was one of the the Hooters ad Deuces.

***extreme useless city bus triva: both the 108 routes in Philly and here in Vegas go to the airport.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

senorcarnival

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:07 pm

Haail to the bus driver, the bus driver, the bus driver
Haail to the bus driver, the bus driver, the bus driver man
He drinks and he cusses he crashes our busses
Haail to the bus driver, the bus driver, the bus driver
He steps on the clutch and the toilet goes flush
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

TAM1079

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:36 pm

EWWWWWWWWWWW I just saw the bag Flying....now THATS tramatic!
I hope CO gave you a new one after that. Did you every find out HOW the poo got there in the first place? A angry ramper perhaps? LOL....very odd.

That H345 in front of the Prada store is kinda old, but low miles. Its a 95, with 200k. So just about broken in. And a good deal....I think my friend paid 250k for it. Not bad for that kinda luxury. And a new one...from Marathon Coach...would cost anywhere from 1.2mil-3+mil. But those are also 5 Star Hotels on wheels.

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 26):
Thanks for you other pix and story. Do the diners slip you a $20 and comp your meal OTR?

For the most part yes. The one I frequent often is at the bottom of the Grapevine off the 5. The $20, and a freebie. My fave though is Mt Carmel Junction between Bryce Canyon, and Zion national Park. They give you "quarters" worth $25 everytime you go thru. So...its usually 2 a day. They totally pamper us. I did some christmas shopping there one year, and spent nothing.  Smile

I would love to drive one of those double D's. Setra and Van Hoopty make very nice ones. I don't think they would be so fun in the wind though. What happened with the hooters double d?

ndebelebev

Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:29 am

Quoting CON207 (Reply 17):

Would love to get my PCV licence. Sue... any tips on how to go about it? I know my local company will take you through the process but anything else I should know?

Bev xx
Her Pose Is That Of Someone... Who Knows It All And Is In Total Control Of Her World... Little Does She Know...

emiratesa345

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:20 am

Awesome pictures! I definitely envy you for driving that beautiful Setra. I was able to look around on one at a transit expo a few months ago and have to say, its quite the impressive bus. Very European. They're becoming more and more common in Ontario, Canada, although the majority of carriers use MCI or Prevost units. I've never driven a highway motorcoach, although that might change soon, as I have a connection somewhere, but my favourite is the Prevost H3-45. The styling on it is just amazing!

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 24):
I don't know about the rest of Canada, but in BC there are quiet a number of them.

I've never seen any in Southwestern Ontario. I know there use to be "rule" or whatever you want to call it that allowed Ontario's publicly run transit systems to purchase only Made in Canada or at least 50% made in Canada coaches. In Quebec, the rule was slightly different, as all buses had to be manufactured in Quebec. This is why many transit systems there operate only NOVA LFS and MCI transit buses. To enforce this, systems would only be granted funding for new purchases, if they met these requirements.

Quoting Ndebelebev (Reply 29):

I'm not sure about where you live, but here, school bus companies are just starving for drivers. They will train you and help you obtain your licence, although in return you must work for them for a specified period of time.

TAM1079, as your requested, here are some pics that I took at a transit expo earlier this year.

A Setra... TAM1079, maybe you can help me with the model? If you can tell from this angle?

VIVA's Van Hool A 300.

Alexander Dennis was there with this example. Not too visually appealing in my opinion, but a novelty in Canada.

This is the upper deck.

Last but not least, the most beautiful coach on the roads... Prevost H3-45.

Mark

LY744

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:31 pm

Quoting EmiratesA345 (Reply 18):

How's everyone liking the new Novas? You guys don't have the misfortune of owning any of the older ('97-'99) ones, do you?  Silly

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

vsa340

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:26 am

What are buses and coaches limited to outside the UK? I know that a service bus i.e. Optare Excel's etc are imited to 90kph (55mph) but only really reach 45mph lol and i know that coaches are limited to 100kph (62mph).

Thanks
Jamie
What ever life throws at you, remember one thing - Never Surrender

TAM1079

Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:02 am

Quoting EmiratesA345 (Reply 30):
A Setra... TAM1079, maybe you can help me with the model? If you can tell from this angle?

It looks exactly like mine. So Im guessing the S417....if its a north american bus, def the S417. I agree with the Prevost being a sexy beast. But if Setra sorts itself out and the computer bugs. Prevost will have legit competition. I like the mirrors on the setra better too. And the tags turn, so it makes it turn insanely good. If you put a Prevost, and a Setra side by side...the Setra could turn inside of the prevost.

Quoting Vsa340 (Reply 32):
What are buses and coaches limited to outside the UK? I know that a service bus i.e. Optare Excel's etc are imited to 90kph (55mph) but only really reach 45mph lol and i know that coaches are limited to 100kph (62mph).

55mph AHHHHHHH. I would die. Here is the US, it varies by company.
The Setras are goverend at 74mph, but one driver got his bumped up to 80mph. Some coaches are even unrestricted. And in the desert or AZ, NV, TX, NM....you need that speed. You have big rigs blowing by you doing 90mph +. My friends Prevost was unrestricted. I think it had a truck engine in it too. The thing pulled like crazy thru all the gears, and just accelerated like mad.
For those of you that have used them? Engine brake? Or Retarder? Which do you prefer? Personally....the engine brake for the sound, althought you can't bring it to a stop as smoothly as a transmission retarder. But....for the cool noise...its worth it.  Smile

emiratesa345

Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:00 am

Quoting LY744 (Reply 31):

How's everyone liking the new Novas? You guys don't have the misfortune of owning any of the older ('97-'99) ones, do you?

Personally, I love Novas. They are very comfortable to drive, and the steering on them is great, with the short wheelbase. I would say the majority of our drivers do infact like them. Word on the street is Nova is redesigning the LFS, much like New Flyer did to the D40LF. We do have some of the 1st generation Nova's, only 2 or 3 though. I've driven them, but I'm not very familiar with them, as they are not based at my garage. They came to us when the tri-cities transit system's amalgamated.

Here it varies by company. At my system, all the buses, are governed at 90 km/h. I regularly see highway coaches flying past me at 130 km/h +.

Quoting TAM1079 (Reply 33):
And the tags turn, so it makes it turn insanely good.

So then, do you not have to lift them on turn? Is there a button that allows you to turn the turning off, or do they always turn?

Quoting TAM1079 (Reply 33):
For those of you that have used them? Engine brake? Or Retarder? Which do you prefer? Personally....the engine brake for the sound, althought you can't bring it to a stop as smoothly as a transmission retarder. But....for the cool noise...its worth it.

I've never used an engine break, but every bus I've ever driven with the exception of a school bus has had a retarder. Many models of transit buses come with a switch that allows you to turn the retarder on and off. Whenever I drive, I keep it on, as its a lot easier on the brakes.

Mark

LY744

Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:31 am

Quoting EmiratesA345 (Reply 34):
I've never used an engine break, but every bus I've ever driven with the exception of a school bus has had a retarder. Many models of transit buses come with a switch that allows you to turn the retarder on and off. Whenever I drive, I keep it on, as its a lot easier on the brakes.

Are transit buses usually set up to have the retarder kick in when you step off the gas pedal, or do you have to press the brake to get it working?

Word on the street is Nova is redesigning the LFS, much like New Flyer did to the D40LF

I hope not! It's got a pretty cool look to it IMO, like no other bus. Although a lot of it is because of that 10 foot overhang on the front! Big grin

Question for anyone that's familiar with North American transit buses, how are the turn signals activated? I think I have an idea but I'd don't want to make a complete fool of myself in case I'm wrong.  Wink

LY744.

TAM1079

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:43 am

So then, do you not have to lift them on turn? Is there a button that allows you to turn the turning off, or do they always turn?

There is a button to lock them in place, and not turn. They actually are on a castor system...so the steering wheel doesn't control their position. They just neatly follow, saving wear on tags. If drivers didn't pay attention and just pull away from a curb and forget about the tags moving....alot of tail swing incidents happened at first. Thats a big ol bootie to be thrown around. They also lock into place at 27mph.

I really wish Prevost would adopt this feature. They really have the worst turning radius of all the buses I've ever driven. But they sure float down the road nicely.

Has anyone driven a crown? I hear they are SUPER nice to drive. But my god are they SMOOOOKEY! Its like a L 1011 all the time!

Whenever I drive, I keep it on, as its a lot easier on the brakes.

Nice to see a driver actually give a rats A about the bus he is driving. NICE! It simple things like that, that can save alot of money in the long run.

On transit buses with retarders. Do you have different settings? Or is it just one? On most highway coaches, retarder wise, its usually 5 or 6 settings. Its nice because you can progressively brake smoothly without ever touching the service brake until the retard cuts out at like 10 or 15mph. Engine brakes have the same different settings. Usually 3, or all 6 cyl will have it. Or a 2, 4, 6 setting.

sleekjet

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:51 am

I drive a school bus. What am I thinking?!!!

In case anyone is paying attention, it's a Thomas. About 7 years old, 82K miles, and air-conditioned. Tinted windows. Smooth.

When there are no students on board, I thoroughly enjoy the experience of driving it.
II Cor. 4:17-18

HKGKaiTak

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:09 pm

What are buses and coaches limited to outside the UK?

Some route buses are limited to 80km/h, some to 90km/h, some are unlimited.

Although the speed limit for heavy vehicles in Australia are 100km/h, so no use going any faster even if there is no limiter fitted. Most coaches nowadays have cut-offs at 103km/h.
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

57AZ

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:18 pm

Quoting Sleekjet (Reply 37):
In case anyone is paying attention, it's a Thomas

Transit style or standard? Out here almost all school buses are transit style.

Quoting TAM1079 (Reply 36):
On transit buses with retarders. Do you have different settings? Or is it just one? On most highway coaches, retarder wise, its usually 5 or 6 settings.

Coaches that I drove were highway units. Number of transmission retarded settings depended on the individual coach set up. Most of ours had six but there were a few that only had three. Route I drove the most ran over the NM/CO state line via Cumbres Pass and La Manga Pass. Coming off La Manga east/northbound was a four mile drop down a continuous six percent grade with an additional 3-4 percent descent for two miles at the bottom. If you set up right at the summit, you could make it all the way down without touching the brakes-using only the three position retarder and low gear.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

ACDC8

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:33 pm

Quoting LY744 (Reply 35):
Are transit buses usually set up to have the retarder kick in when you step off the gas pedal, or do you have to press the brake to get it working?

Our Darts are set up that once you step on the break pedal (or foot valve to be techincally correct ...  Wink ), the engine retarder kicks in automaticaly, doesn't seem to help much though.

I've never seen any in Southwestern Ontario. I know there use to be "rule" or whatever you want to call it that allowed Ontario's publicly run transit systems to purchase only Made in Canada or at least 50% made in Canada coaches. In Quebec, the rule was slightly different, as all buses had to be manufactured in Quebec. This is why many transit systems there operate only NOVA LFS and MCI transit buses. To enforce this, systems would only be granted funding for new purchases, if they met these requirements.

We don't have any restrictions like those that I am aware of. Our fleet consits of Dennis Darts for regular services and Ford Polar Micro buses for the HandyDart services. Kelowna has quite an intresting fleet of Darts, Newflyers, the Dennis double decker and even some 1970s GMC "New Looks".

L410Turbolet

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:20 pm

Only a fan. Can anyone explain me the purpose of the structure on the front side of those buses shown in reply #25? Some sort of bike rack?

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:32 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 41):
Some sort of bike rack?

Correct. A good idea I've only seen here in the US, even though the bus service is terrible compared to Europe.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

emiratesa345

Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:41 am

Thats right. On a transit bus, at least all that I've drivem, once you remove your foot from the gas pedal, the retarder automatically kicks in and slows the bus down. You only need to use your brake to come to a complete stop if you time it correctly.

Question for anyone that's familiar with North American transit buses, how are the turn signals activated? I think I have an idea but I'd don't want to make a complete fool of myself in case I'm wrong.

Turn signals are actually located in the floor. To the left of the steering column are two, sometimes three pedals. Left turn, right turn and sometimes high beams. As far as I knoiw, only the NOVA LFS is equipped with turn signals like a car, although all that I've seen had that disabled and used the floor signals. Only highbeams were activated by the lever at the side of the steering column.

Quoting TAM1079 (Reply 36):
On transit buses with retarders. Do you have different settings? Or is it just one?

Its just one setting, at least on Orion I, V, VI, VII, NOVA LFS, New Flyer D40LF. Its simply a switch that you flick on or off. I didn't know that there were multi setting retarders. Have you ever heard of an intarder? I've read something about one, but not too sure what this is exactly.

Mark

JAGflyer

Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:45 am

I have ridden Viva once and I didn't like it. The seats are hard and transmit every vibration to your body. The next-station annoucement is cool though. Unless I am going past Bernard/19th Ave I will use YRT. I prefer YRT especially when I get on one of their buses that has the fully padded seats.

[Edited 2006-09-02 02:51:46]
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

LY744

Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:15 am

Quoting EmiratesA345 (Reply 43):
Turn signals are actually located in the floor. To the left of the steering column are two, sometimes three pedals.

Score! Big grin

LY744.

HKGKaiTak

Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:29 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 41):
Some sort of bike rack?

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 42):
A good idea I've only seen here in the US, even though the bus service is terrible compared to Europe.

Plenty of other cities around the world have it too ... for example here in Australia, Brisbane Transport and ACTION of Canberra have fitted these racks to some buses.
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

FlyingTexan

Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:20 am

Quoting TAM1079 (Reply 28):
I hope CO gave you a new one after that. Did you every find out HOW the poo got there in the first place?

Continental was overly gracious in supplying a new bag. The poo bag was 10 years old. It was damaged beyond repair on the other side. And the new one is a hella good bag. My hypothesis is the poo got on the bag due to the courier (bag was lost in first place) dragging it thru grass.

Quoting TAM1079 (Reply 28):
What happened with the hooters double d?

Don’t know. Must be at one of the bus yards. Its definitely a write off. The wreck with several 18-wheelers was fatal to one of the truck drivers. It was one of several Deuces wrapped in Hooter’s ads.

Similarly, there is a totaled 8-pax stretch Town Car at one MGM’s offices on Industrial. Check it out next time you are over there. Just north of the intersection of Mel Torme Way, west side of Industrial across from the Fashion Show Dillard’s

I know there use to be "rule" or whatever you want to call it that allowed Ontario's publicly run transit systems to purchase only Made in Canada or at least 50% made in Canada coaches. In Quebec, the rule was slightly different

Interesting. Kinda like the States' airline rule.

school bus companies are just starving for drivers

Likewise all over North America.

emiratesa345

Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 44):
I have ridden Viva once and I didn't like it. The seats are hard and transmit every vibration to your body. The next-station annoucement is cool though. Unless I am going past Bernard/19th Ave I will use YRT. I prefer YRT especially when I get on one of their buses that has the fully padded seats.

Many transit services have and are turning their backs to the padded seats that were the norm on buses in the 80's and early 90's. This being because they are very prone to destruction by vandals. The system I work for is now sticking to vandal proof seats, which aren't litterally vandal proof, as I've seen some people get pretty creative when destroying them. They are much more difficult to clean, and thats why I support having plastic seats, not to be confused with vinyl.

Quoting LY744 (Reply 45):

Score!

The turn siugnals are located in this location for better control of the vehicle. You'll notice that sometimes the operator might be holding the handset (radio) while driving, and therefore would not be able to signal his intentions without having to put the handset down.

Mark

David L

Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:44 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 10):
Quoting David L (Reply 7):
AKA "downward spiral"

AKA "Scotland"  duck 

grumpy