pilottj

Have You Put Aircraft Instruments In Your Car?

Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:53 pm

Hey folks,
Been awhile since I have posted but somthing has been tickling my fancy lately. I knew of a few aviation nuts installing aircraft instruments in their cars...pitot tubes, altimeters...etc.. Do you or have any friends who are aviation geeks with aircraft equipment installed in their automobiles?

Would you/could you install a dash mounted aircraft mag compass (like a used one from a cessna or piper) in your car. I find compasses to be quite useful while driving, especially in unfamiliar areas. I would think the electronic distortion from the car stereo would be less than that of a typical GA aircraft radio/gps stack. I know I am just geeky enough to do it if I could.

Cheers
TJ
God was my copilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him...

zotan

RE: Have You Put Aircraft Instruments In Your Car?

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:02 pm

Well I'm such a loser that I put an extra antenna on my car, and can now listen to airband frequencies on my car stereo.

IAH777

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Quoting ZOTAN (Reply 1):
Well I'm such a loser that I put an extra antenna on my car, and can now listen to airband frequencies on my car stereo.

I originally entered this thread to clown TJ, but you have me intrigued. Do tell how you accomplished this.

DLKAPA

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:06 pm

I stole a 777's cockpit and put it in my chevy.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

bravo45

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:15 pm

No instrument that you don't need. However the registration of my car does read 'BRAVO45', does that count?

FlyingTexan

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:19 pm

Yea, I have a Fokker with interior by Boeing
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

andz

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:26 pm

I have a propeller on my car's bonnet.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

aerobalance

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:38 pm

A Directional Gyro to make sure I'm lined up on the right runway.... and a compass to reference the DG.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

AsstChiefMark

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:44 pm

Pitot tubes make great tie-down points.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Jpax

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:44 pm

I'd fear my sex life would plummet should I ever put aircraft instrumentation in my car. But hey, the airport is only a few minutes away.  Wink

Queso

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:54 pm

I can't believe you started this thread. Yes, I'm one of the geeks in the crowd. I used to have an ASI and altimeter out of an old Stinson in my '75 Chevy Impala. I had a 1.5 foot pitot tube painted red and white sticking out the front with a quick disconnect for when I parked it nose-in to a sidewalk. I experimented with the location of the tube to get the most consistent reading. After running it for a while with the A/C on normal and recirculate I realized I needed a static system too, so (like a geek) I also ran a static tube. The best place I could find to terminate it was in the trunk, but I still think I could have done it better with more experimentation (this all happened 20 years ago).

It was an entertaining project and I learned a lot about aerodynamics from it, like wake turbulence behind a truck and how far back it extends at various speeds.

The altimeter was not quite as much fun since I was using it around the substantially flat terrain of West Texas. The variation of barometric pressure made a bigger difference than the terrain change.