cefarix

Arabic T-shirt Causes Commotion @ JFK

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:46 pm

Sorry if this has already been posted...I did a search and didn't find anything.

Quote:

An architect of Iraqi descent has said he was forced to remove a T-shirt that bore the words "We will not be silent" before boarding a flight at New York.

Raed Jarrar said security officials warned him his clothing was offensive after he checked in for a JetBlue flight to California on 12 August.

Mr Jarrar said he was shocked such an action could be taken in the US.

US transport officials are conducting an inquiry after a complaint from the US Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee.

JetBlue said it was also investigating the incident but a spokeswoman said: "We're not clear exactly what happened."

Original story by BBC here

That's unbelievable...will people be stopped from travelling on airplanes simply because their clothing has a foreign language on it?  Angry I wonder what complaint the passengers would have had had they been travelling on an airline like Emirates or Gulf Air...that the safety-cards are written in Arabic?  Yeah sure

I think it would have been better if JetBlue had simply told those passengers that they could leave off the flight if they were offended by a piece of Arabic writing.

bill142

RE: Arabic T-shirt Causes Commotion @ JFK

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:51 pm

Yeah, every arab is a terrorist  Yeah sure give me a break.

deaphen

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:55 pm

thats just pathetic. and a little extreme. hmmmmm not good
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

itsjustme

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:58 pm

Quoting Cefarix (Thread starter):
I think it would have been better if JetBlue had simply told those passengers that they could leave off the flight if they were offended by a piece of Arabic writing.

Tough call on the part of JetBlue. Do you appease one passenger who, like it or not, probably used less than good judgement by wearing the t-shirt or, do you respect the wishes of "a number of passengers" and ask the man to remove the offending shirt?

I wonder what complaint the passengers would have had had they been travelling on an airline like Emirates or Gulf Air...that the safety-cards are written in Arabic?

Apples and oranges. This was a flight in, not only an American city, but a city that is about to see the 5th anniversary of the darkest day it has ever experienced. Kudos to JetBlue.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:02 pm

My normal response would be that the handful of passengers should get a slap.

Then...

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 3):
Do you appease one passenger who, like it or not, probably used less than good judgement by wearing the t-shirt

Respect works two ways. This is not a case of pure racism which it suddenly is becoming the norm nowadays. He wore that t-shirt to draw attention to himself as he thought it was a good way of passive protesting. Common sense would care to disagree. He probably got high out of the commotion he caused and his subsequent media interviews.

Alas for this, I side with the authorities. Authorities are normally stupid. If you give them ammo, you're going to be scrounging for sympathy.

For shame.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

codeshare

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:03 pm

I wonder what eould happen if somebody boarded the JetBlue a/c with a "I like Southwest Airlines' T-shirt...

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

Baexecutive

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:04 pm

Kudos to JetBlue.

I agree, good call Jetblue!

a3xx900

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:05 pm

This was a flight in, not only an American city, but a city that is about to see the 5th anniversary of the darkest day it has ever experienced. Kudos to JetBlue.

Are you serious? It was just a t-shirt!

Caution ok. But don't slip into paranoia.
Why is 10 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9.

deaphen

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:06 pm

think it would have been better if JetBlue had simply told those passengers that they could leave off the flight if they were offended by a piece of Arabic writing.

An architect of Iraqi descent has said he was forced to remove a T-shirt that bore the words "We will not be silent" before boarding a flight at New York.

HUH? it doesnt make sense... was the writing in arabic and meant "we will not be silent" or did it just say the words. In which case, how did they know it was arabic and if it was arabic.. how did they know what it meant?
Something doesnt quite add up.

regards
nitin
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

FLYACYYZ

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:13 pm

North American kids (amongst others), wear tear shirts printed with explitives, and profanities, that are far more shocking than "We will not be silent". Give it a rest.
Above and Beyond

itsjustme

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:14 pm

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 8):

HUH? it doesnt make sense... was the writing in arabic and meant "we will not be silent" or did it just say the words. In which case, how did they know it was arabic and if it was arabic.. how did they know what it meant?

Mr Jarrar's black cotton T-shirt bore the slogan in both Arabic and English.

[Edited 2006-08-30 14:24:10]

akjetBlue

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:20 pm

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 8):
Something doesnt quite add up.

regards
nitin

IIRC it was written in both Arabic and English.

Either way it's my opinion that it violates freedom of speech and freedom of expression. It's not what this country stands for and shows that no matter what even in NY there are still narrow minded people.

Sad really, to ask someone to change what they're wearing because "they" don't feel its appropriate. If it said something disrespectful or showed harmful intent then I could see this but from what's been said in the articles it doesn't seem this should have been warnted.

just my .02
Save a horse! Ride a Cowboy!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:24 pm

Open the news article people.

Caption (BBC): A demonstrator wears a similar T-shirt at a New York protest in July

ANCFlyer

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:28 pm

Hmmm, seems to me JetBlue did just fine.

As ItsJustMe wrote here:

Tough call on the part of JetBlue. Do you appease one passenger who, like it or not, probably used less than good judgement by wearing the t-shirt or, do you respect the wishes of "a number of passengers" and ask the man to remove the offending shirt?

And they might have saved the passenger with the offending T-Shirt some further heartache in the form of an asswhipping by a (or some) disgruntled passenger(s) . . . who may or may not have lost someone or knew someone lost on 9/11. Since the flight originated at JFK, it's a fair bet a good portion of those boarding passengers were at least in the NYC area on 9/11. It's also a good bet their animosity and sensitivity towards issues relating to 9/11 are still piqued.

Quoting AkjetBlue (Reply 11):
. It's not what this country stands for and shows that no matter what even in NY there are still narrow minded people.

We don't stand for flying airplanes into buildings either, now do we?

showed harmful intent then

Hmmm, I believe it showed intent. It stated a purpose. I know that's a stretch . . . but there are those that will look at it that way.

Tell me, what's the difference between this man's T-Shirt and the Fuck Bush (or whatever the hell it was T-Shirt) the teenage bimbo had to turn inside out on a WN flight several months ago? Both offensive in one degree or another and yet both supposedly "Free Speech" violations.

Whats the difference?

Not to mention - airlines - like restaurants - like railroads - have to right to refuse service for whatever reason . . .

Good call JetBlue.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

CX Flyboy

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:29 pm

What happened to free speech in the great land of the free? You can speak what you like as long as you say what we want you to say and say it when we tell you it is ok to say it.

cedars747

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:31 pm

Apples and oranges. This was a flight in, not only an American city, but a city that is about to see the 5th anniversary of the darkest day it has ever experienced. Kudos to JetBlue

And your country is promoting democracy in the Arab world  liar 
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

itsjustme

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:37 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 15):
And your country is promoting democracy in the Arab world

Alex, if you would like to discuss what my country is promoting in the Arab world, may I suggest you start a thread in the non-av forum?

MDorBust

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:37 pm

Quoting CX flyboy (Reply 14):
What happened to free speech in the great land of the free? You can speak what you like as long as you say what we want you to say and say it when we tell you it is ok to say it.

What happened to people who understand what the right to free speech really means?

His shirt is fine, in most places. However, in an airport setting at this particular point in history, it's not very appropriate.

Consider that the vast majority of the people in the airport couldn't read the shirt, but probably could recognize arab script. It's highly plausible that some people may creativly mis-interpret the writing for very inappropriate words, followed by the english "we will not be silent".
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

dkny

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:44 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 13):
And they might have saved the passenger with the offending T-Shirt some further heartache in the form of an asswhipping by a (or some) disgruntled passenger(s) . . . who may or may not have lost someone or knew someone lost on 9/11. Since the flight originated at JFK, it's a fair bet a good portion of those boarding passengers were at least in the NYC area on 9/11. It's also a good bet their animosity and sensitivity towards issues relating to 9/11 are still piqued.

Well look at it from the other side then. How do you know the Iraqi person wearing that T-Shirt did not loose a family member or most likely several family members in the war in Iraq. America went there and thousands of people have died because if the war that started.

But the US doesn't stand for having thousands of cicilians killed in order to remove on leader. Or deos it.

In my opinion just because the guy wears a t-shirt that says we won't remain silent doesn't mean he supports terrorism. But he is against the unfair profiling and the pre judgment that is clearly visible towards arabs and muslims.

cedars747

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:45 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 16):
Alex, if you would like to discuss what my country is promoting in the Arab world, may I suggest you start a thread in the non-av forum?

No ,thanks.Anyway my favourite LC airline is Jetblue
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

itsjustme

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:56 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 19):
No ,thanks.Anyway my favourite LC airline is Jetblue

Mine, too. Now, if they'd only start service from LGB to DTW....

ANCFlyer

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Quoting Dkny (Reply 18):
Well look at it from the other side then. How do you know the Iraqi person wearing that T-Shirt did not loose a family member or most likely several family members in the war in Iraq. America went there and thousands of people have died because if the war that started.

I quite agree.

To that end you certainly wouldn't see me wearing a "Nuke Iraq" T-Shirt in downtown Baghdad (or anywhere else for that matter). It's in poor taste, makes no common sense and invites trouble - it's a reflection on one's intelligence.

Quoting Dkny (Reply 18):

But the US doesn't stand for having thousands of cicilians killed in order to remove on leader. Or deos it.

We can throw this into Civ-Av if you'd like . . . and belabor it for a couple hundred posts . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Thorben

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:13 pm

This is about the 100th thread I see on this page that describes US paranoia and the mess it has made out of flying.

What's really the problem with this t-shirt? If it had said "I'm Al-Qeada" or "I'm flying ot paradise" or

"We fly
we die
me paradise
you otherwise"

then I would consider it problematic. America is so nuts, this is not helping anyone (except the terrorists).

Quoting Dkny (Reply 18):

It has. That is the reason why people are flying airplanes into buildings in the US. Or rather the time they killed hundreds of thousands without removing that particular leader.
France 1789; Eastern Germany 1989; Tunisia 2011; Egypt 2011

naritaflyer

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:27 pm

This is usual American crap. JetBlue screwed up and it shows how blatantly racism is accpeted in the US under cover of National security. Get over it folks. Free speech only applies to other countries. democracy only to other countries. Free markets only to others. American are great at lecturing other people on how to behave but they are the biggest biggots, racists, protectionsists and hypocrits. Try buying an American port, or try buying an American oil company. Or more simple than that, try importing sugar in the US, or rice, or corn. Good luck, you can't because the market is protected.

Kudos to Jetblue my ass. Racists bunch.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:32 pm

While I may agree with some points posted by some people, the point is that the man wanted some attention and he got some attention, probably just what he wanted.

Tough.

MDorBust

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:40 pm

Quoting Naritaflyer (Reply 23):
JetBlue screwed up and it shows how blatantly racism is accpeted in the US under cover of National security.

Racism?

I wasn't aware that language was race specific.

Free speech only applies to other countries. democracy only to other countries. Free markets only to others. American are great at lecturing other people on how to behave but they are the biggest biggots, racists, protectionsists and hypocrits.

Funny... Someone in Japan calling an American a racist bigot... then again we're just all Gaijin over here... what do Gaijin know?

Try buying an American port, or try buying an American oil company.

Most American ports are foreign operated (Maersk ring a bell), and there's no shortage of foreign oil companies in the US.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:42 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 25):
and there's no shortage of foreign oil companies in the US.

I think he was referring to DP World's difficult acquisition of Peninsular and Oriental's U.S. assets.

MDorBust

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:49 pm

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 26):
I think he was referring to DP World's difficult acquisition of Peninsular and Oriental's U.S. assets.

Probably was.

What occurred was an absolute travesty. Our leadership failed us in that case, mostly because of stupid political wrangling.

However, I feel obliged to point out that even in that case it was a matter of a foreign company attempting to obtain the assets of another foreign company. Any claims of American Xenophobia seem odd in the light that the port was already operated by foreign authority.

AirRyan

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:04 pm

If they are going to do that than I want a bash-Islam line at the airport where you can get through security quicker IF you recite a few negative words about Islam and Allah! No Allah-abiding Muslim could condem Allah and still expect to get his 77 mansions, beds, and virgins regardless of how many "infidels" he may have taken with him in a terrorist act!

Impeach Nancy Pelosi Now!

solnabo

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:05 pm

I´ve never have to take off my T-shirt when boarding saying:

Ät mera gröt*

Micke//SWE  relieved  *Eat more porrige
Airbus SAS - Love them both

boeingbus

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:05 pm

Either way you dice and slice this... paranoia is here to stay... until the Muslim community reigns in on that 1% of 'bad boys' this will exist now and into the future. Very sad for the 99% of folks that want to live in peace to raise their families.

Extremisim will never stop unless the leaders demand it to stop... and they have not. Again, this issue has many faces... we have somehow created the monster to some degree and we need to learn how they reach that point. Many leaders lose focus of this and rather bomb, which only creates more exremists.

IMO, this kid was asking for it. I work in Boston, and everyday I live through this level of fear that the subway will be a target... on a plane would be no different. So if there is someone who has arabic t-shirt I will pay extra attention to see if they have handbags or anything that could potentially be a bomb. It's profiling but its no different than in England with the IRA.

I find it interesting that both Muslim and Jewish are so hypersensitive about everything... just live!
Airbus or Boeing - it's all good to me!

ltbewr

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:22 pm

An additional reason for why the paranoia here could be that as the flight was originating at JFK, there would have been a larger percentage than average of Jewish passengers. To many active Jews and so-called 'Christians' here in the USA, as they and Israel are targets of terror (for reasons that are often discussed in non-av threads), they would be very prejudice towards any Islamic person, or anyone who would displays Arabic wording, especially with any defiant reference as here. For Jet Blue, they figure better to give this guy a boot than to lose the business of active Jews and Christians. If I am correct, one of the founders of Jet Blue is an active Mormon. Of course, I am quite sure they would let on some woman who is dressed in a too tiny top without a bra or some teen with a t-shirt with a potentially offensive saying on it, but they aren't seen as terrorists. Crazy world we live in.
By the way, I didn't see anything on this on the local TV news this morning here in the NYC area.

supa7E7

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:22 pm

d they might have saved the passenger with the offending T-Shirt some further heartache in the form of an asswhipping by a (or some) disgruntled passenger(s) . . . who may or may not have lost someone or knew someone lost on 9/11.

No. Even if some ethnic group kills your brother, it is not OK (nor legal) to beat up, say, every Jew you see, or any other group. If you do, you will go to jail, perhaps on a hate crime charge.

Not to mention - airlines - like restaurants - like railroads - have to right to refuse service for whatever reason . . .

No. The Civil Rights Act made it so all races, ethnic groups and all religions can eat and fly with EQUAL rights.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 17):
Consider that the vast majority of the people in the airport couldn't read the shirt, but probably could recognize arab script. It's highly plausible that some people may creativly mis-interpret the writing for very inappropriate words, followed by the english "we will not be silent".

Probably. That is one reason why Americans are seen as uneducated...

[Edited 2006-08-30 16:26:22]
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

bennett123

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:24 pm

What about Oklahoma City, why not deport all White Men with Short haircuts.

naritaflyer

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:25 pm

Funny... Someone in Japan calling an American a racist bigot... then again we're just all Gaijin over here... what do Gaijin know?

We don't go around the world lecturing other people or preaching virtues to others. By the way, "gaijin" merely means a "foreign person" ("gai = outside/foreign and jin = person). How is that bad if you are called gaijin?

[Edited 2006-08-30 16:29:35]

MDorBust

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:29 pm

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 37):
I agree but first, we need to change the US Constitution

Why would you need to change the constitution?

Airlines have the right to set conditions for passage on their aircraft as long as those conditions do not violate the federally mandated discrimination policies. Clothing is currently not federally protected against discrimination. Nor is speech when it is conducted in a private venue.

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 37):
Then, we will have the freedom to arrest people of "evil" ethnic groups.

I don't believe I ever said anything about arresting or detaining this person.

He was asked to change his shirt, which the airline has the right to do under their contract of carriage. If the airline wanted to it could declare that everyone flying on their aircraft had to wear Scottish kilts. The current restriction is against disruptive clothing. They thought his clothes were causing a disruption, ergo they asked him to change. Read the contract of carriage, it's all in there... and perfectly legal.

mandala499

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:30 pm

I wonder what would happen if I want to fly in and out of JFK/EWR/LGA with a T-Shirt in Arabic and English that says...
1. "Islam against terrorism"
or
2. "Al Qaeda can F*** Off out of my religion"
or
3. "I hate Al Qaeda because I love aviation"
or
4. "We shall not surrender to terrorism"
or
5. "Long Live the Spirit of America"
or
6. "New York shall prosper forever"

I wonder what would happen... and then, what would happen if the T-Shirt was only in Arabic?

I think there should be a T-Shirt maker in the US who would produce and sell these kinds of T-Shirts...

Though "We will not be silent" can be grossly misunderstood...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:35 pm

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 42):
I wonder what would happen

Probably the same thing that hapenned to this guy.

homesick

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:35 pm

Why exactly should all arabs be kicked out of the US? Fastenseatbelt is right. Grow up!

I spent 4 years living in the US and I used to be treated like *£$T everytime I came back into the country with a valid multi entry visa!!! The reason? Well it just so happened I have lived AND worked in the Middle East! The naiivety of the Immigration Officials in BOS and the CBP was appalling!!

Despite having some nice times living where we did in MA and having some great American friends, it is hardly the land of the free! Both my kids were born there but the first thing I did was get them British Passports. I was so fed up of the attitude of people like DC10s forever...

By the way, I am male caucasian, born and bred in the UK (Scotland actually) and the US are supposed to be our allies!!? The US tends to overreact. Sad but true. Everyone was devasted by 9/11 but it was 5 years ago...move on!!

I travelled Jet Blue many times and think that they are the best US airline around at the moment but I think that they over reacted on this one!
Nothing But Blue Skies

a3xx900

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:37 pm

Jeez the US is sooo effed up...  worried 
Why is 10 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9.

slider

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:40 pm

That's unbelievable...will people be stopped from travelling on airplanes simply because their clothing has a foreign language on it?

No. But when Muslim males have a short that is needlessly provocative, I believe discretion is necessary and in this case, was employed. Freedom of speech is not absolute. Far too many posters here don't realize or comprehend that.

Though "We will not be silent" can be grossly misunderstood...

That's the whole damn point!!

It can be interpreted to be rather inflammatory and reactionary.

MDorBust

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:45 pm

Quoting Naritaflyer (Reply 39):
We don't go around the world lecturing other people or preaching virtues to others.

Something I wish some Americans would stop doing.

Quoting Naritaflyer (Reply 39):
By the way, "gaijin" merely means a "foreign person" ("gai = outside/foreign and jin = person). How is that bad if you are called gaijin?

Please, I spend enough time in Japan to know that there is Japanese... and then there is everything else.

I love the Japanese culture, but Japan is probably the most xenophobic nation in the world. The word "gaijin" is often used as an insult or demeaning term, based on it's "not Japanese" inflection. Having anyone from Japan call Americans racist bigots is just too much not to laugh. Love the culture, love the nation, but you have to look in that mirror once in a while.

gooner

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:46 pm

if the americans really want to deport people why dont they deport the IRA terrorists theyve allowed to walk freely around the streets of the USA for years

djw030468

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:46 pm

HMMM, I WONDER IF I WEAR MY T-SHIRT I STILL HAVE WITH ME IN IRAQ IN ENGLISH AND ARABIC THAT SAYS….

“CAUTION, STAY 100METERS BACK, OR YOU WILL BE SHOT”

If I will be asked to remove it because it’s politically incorrect?

My Lebanese, Sunni wife thinks it’s great, by the way!

itsjustme

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:48 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 41):
He was asked to change his shirt, which the airline has the right to do under their contract of carriage.

checkmark 
And let's not forget that, in this case, the airline was actually acting on behalf of "a number of passengers" who had complained about the t-shirt.

supa7E7

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:49 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 41):
The current restriction is against disruptive clothing. They thought his clothes were causing a disruption, ergo they asked him to change

MD my friend, I totally mis-read your post. Edited it before you replied. My apologies.

Apparently US DOT and TSA are investigating this matter. Good. The man with the T-shirt will get an apology, if he deserves one.

[Edited 2006-08-30 16:52:40]

ATCGOD

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:53 pm

I see both sides of the argument here. But I think for all you people from other countries, muslim or not, until you go through what this country went through 5 years ago don't tell me not to be angry about this. In my opinion, this is someone mocking what happened that day and it would offend you if you'd lost someone. Until it happens to you, keep your mouth shut.

Quoting A3xx900 (Reply 46):
Jeez the US is sooo effed up...

When you appease these people you empower them.

airbazar

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:53 pm

If true, it's another shameful episode from our authorities but I'm confused as to what B6 has to do with this. The article says security officials had him removed (i.e. TSA monkeys), not B6 officials. Maybe one day they'll learn how to actual stop terrorism from their counterparts in England but until then we'll just have to deal with these rent-a-cops prentending to be security experts and hope that the terrrorists are just slightly more dumb.

supa7E7

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:00 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 48):
I love the Japanese culture, but Japan is probably the most xenophobic nation in the world. The word "gaijin" is often used as an insult or demeaning term, based on it's "not Japanese" inflection. Having anyone from Japan call Americans racist bigots is just too much not to laugh. Love the culture, love the nation, but you have to look in that mirror once in a while.

Very true. Japan's culture won't change anytime soon though. Maybe Japan doesnt have the challenges of mixing cultures. Then again, they have seen hardship, learned from it, without becoming uncivilized. I hope the USA responds to adversity as well as the Japanese did.

jacobin777

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:01 am

what if it was a Jew who lost friends/family during the holocaust and wore the same shirt (i.e.-we will never let this happen again to us) with english and hebrew writing...would that person have been forced to remove the shirt also? i highly doubt it...

this speaks of intolerance to me....

Either way it's my opinion that it violates freedom of speech and freedom of expression. It's not what this country stands for and shows that no matter what even in NY there are still narrow minded people.

checkmark 

Both offensive in one degree or another and yet both supposedly "Free Speech" violations.

but there was no vulgarity, and no references to vulgarity here.....where as the WN incident did.....

Racism?

I wasn't aware that language was race specific.

that's just semantics......I'm sure you are intelligent enough to know what the post meant... Wink
"Up the Irons!"