HT
Topic Author

Which Virus Protection Program Do You Use?

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:24 am

Personally, I´ve been using Norton AntiVirus 2004, whose license will expire soon.
Upgrades to 2006-version are more expensive than a new CD of it bought in local stores (each with 12 months of virus signature file updates) - strange !

Furthermore, Symantec gives no indication about the download size when trying to purchase one of their products online: Not a good custom, IMO.

As I had earlier good experiences with BitDefender, I went to a local store yesterday and bought one of their products.
And I found out only today, that another store was selling Norton's AntiVirus even cheaper = for half the price that Symantec is charging for buying online.

Is anybody else also using BitDefender (V9) ?
Comments about that program ?
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

IFEMaster

RE: Which Virus Protection Program Do You Use?

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:27 am

NOD32 from ESET. It is simply the best there is. None of this resource-hogging nonsense from Norton or McAfee.

Give NOD32's trial a go and see how you like it.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

agill

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:29 am

F-secure, works really good for me.

HT
Topic Author

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:32 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 1):
resource-hogging nonsense

This indeed appears to be a problem with BitDefender too.

NOD32 from ESET

Available online ?
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

jamesbuk

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:32 am

AVG anti - virus, i have norton installed but theres no were that says uninstall so if anyone has any ideas how to get rid of it  Smile

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

Klaus

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:34 am

None. At this time, installing an "anti-virus" software under MacOS X actually decreases the level of security. This may change some day, but currently there are no active threats.

And yes, this post was in fact necessary.

IFEMaster

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:38 am

Quoting HT (Reply 3):
NOD32 from ESET

Available online ?
-HT

Yip.

http://www.eset.com/products/windows.php

Check out the reviews and awards these guys are winning. They are pipping the big names to the post every time when it comes to posting updates to combat new viruses.

HT
Topic Author

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 5):
None. At this time, installing an "anti-virus" software under MacOS X actually decreases the level of security.

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 4):
ave norton installed but theres no were that says uninstall so if anyone has any ideas how to get rid of it  

Under MS-Windows XP go to "System control" - "Software". There you should be able to find "Norton Anti .." and un-install it.
-HT

EDIT:

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 6):
http://www.eset.com/products/windows.php

Tnx, I will have a look. Currently I'm getting rid of my old Norton 2004 ...

[Edited 2006-08-31 22:44:08]

UAL747

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:11 am

I bought a MAC, problem solved.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

mhodgson

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:38 am

I use AVG - it is updated almost daily, and seems very effective.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

tmatt95

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 5):
None. At this time, installing an "anti-virus" software under MacOS X actually decreases the level of security. This may change some day, but currently there are no active threats.

And yes, this post was in fact necessary.

I may be going to Ubuntu Linux, which also has the same advantage of the mac OS X but is FREE!!
Matt

P.S At the moment I use AVG

[Edited 2006-08-31 23:44:45]

[Edited 2006-08-31 23:45:10]

Klaus

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:58 am

Quoting Tmatt95 (Reply 10):
I may be going to Ubuntu Linux, which also has the same advantage of the mac OS X but is FREE!!

No problem - just make sure you've got some real hands-on comparison prior to your decision. Being virus-free is essential, but it's not everything.

FlyKev
Crew

Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:03 am

NOD32 from ESET. It is simply the best there is. None of this resource-hogging nonsense from Norton or McAfee.

Ill join you on this one. Brilliant program. Currently using just 19mb of my ram up.

Ive used Avast in the past, its a great free option and AVG is good, but not as easy to use I find as Avast.

Trend Micro I used once,wasnt too bad, felt a little 'clunky'

Panda. Dont touch it with a 10ft barge pole. It screws up your PC badly.

Hope this helped.

kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

ba757

Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting FlyKev (Reply 12):
Panda. Dont touch it with a 10ft barge pole. It screws up your PC badly.

Absolutely, I have seen this cause many issues with laptops and wireless adapters.

Adam

FlyKev
Crew

Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 13):
Absolutely, I have seen this cause many issues with laptops and wireless adapters.

Hey! exactly the same problems here.

Had to reinstall windows on my Dads laptop to sort it out!

Glad im not alone.

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

Jetsgo

Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:31 am

I currently use Norton Internet Security 2006. I haven't had any problems so far, yet I will admit it takes up gobbs of memory and is quite slow. Other than that, it has all the essential features....anti-virus, firewall, anti-spam, anti-spyware, privacy control, parental control, and so on for just 60 bucks.

I know this is kind of off topic, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Norton System Works? If so, what is your opinion on it?

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

NoUFO

Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:39 am

Forget Norton, use AVG: http://www.grisoft.de/doc/1. Interface is crappy, but who cares. It's around 10 times better than Norton and still a lot better than most others.
I support the right to arm bears

Cadet57

Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:47 am

Nothing.

Signed,

A Mac User  Smile
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

halls120

Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:33 am

Quoting HT (Thread starter):
Personally, I´ve been using Norton AntiVirus 2004, whose license will expire soon.
Upgrades to 2006-version are more expensive than a new CD of it bought in local stores (each with 12 months of virus signature file updates) - strange !

I use Mac OS X.  duck 

Quoting HT (Thread starter):
Is anybody else also using BitDefender (V9) ?

In the last months of my Windows life, I too found BitDefender to be a much better product than Norton.

Quoting HT (Reply 3):
Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 1):resource-hogging nonsense
This indeed appears to be a problem with BitDefender too

Which is what I found, and one of the reasons I switched to Mac.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

jcs17

Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:36 am

I use a condom, it's pretty effective at stopping viruses.  Smile
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

HT
Topic Author

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:33 pm

Thanks everybody for your valuable insights !

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 19):
I use a condom, it's pretty effective at stopping viruses.

How do you stretch it over your DSL-modem ?
And do you also use latex-gloves while typing on your keyboard ? Big grin

Quoting HT (Reply 7):
ave norton installed but theres no were that says uninstall so if anyone has any ideas how to get rid of it

Under MS-Windows XP go to "System control" - "Software". There you should be able to find "Norton Anti .." and un-install it.

Un-install everything that starts with "Norton" like "... update", "... MSI" etc.
Worked for me last night.
Afterwards (and after q re-boot) memory usage with BitDefender was the same as it was before with Norton AV-2004: About 184 MB RAM (XP-SP2 on a light noname 12"-laptop).
-HT

ajd1992

Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:10 am

AVG free. Yeah, i'm too tight to buy one, but i don't care. It gets the job done, however i rarely use it because i don't usually get virii.

HT
Topic Author

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 21):
however i rarely use it because i don't usually get virii.

My employer relies on Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus and we had a problem earlier this week with a virus passing through all barriers, although the virus-file was only 1 day old ...
-HT

Klaus

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting HT (Reply 22):
My employer relies on Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus and we had a problem earlier this week with a virus passing through all barriers, although the virus-file was only 1 day old ..

The suppliers still need some time to react to an active threat - blindly relying on anti-virus software would be misplaced in any case. Some attacks can always get through if the system is vulnerable.

don81603

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:58 am

I use Trojan, myself  Wink
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

LH526
Crew

Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:09 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 17):
Nothing.

Signed,

A Mac User  

.. and another one .. myself!

Mario
LH526
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

mham001

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:43 am

I've used Norton in the past and consider it the virus. What is being said about uninstalling it is correct, you will not uninstall all of it without going through your registry and manually getting every reference.
I've also used AVG, the free version. Much smoother. But now for something that will shake everybody up. You do not neeed an anti-virus if you DON"T OPEN FILES YOU DON"T KNOW WHERE THEY'VE BEEN. Its that simple. Emails are scanned by my service(Yahoo) and I don't open download files unless I know where they come from. I have heard several experts say this quetly, but they won't say it loudly because of all the stupid people who can't keep discipline.

Go3Team

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:53 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 19):
I use a condom, it's pretty effective at stopping viruses.

Damn, that was going to be my line after seeing the thread title.  Smile
Yay Pudding!

ba757

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 26):
I have heard several experts say this quetly, but they won't say it loudly because of all the stupid people who can't keep discipline

They are clearly are not experts then.

Quoting FlyKev (Reply 14):
Hey! exactly the same problems here.

Had to reinstall windows on my Dads laptop to sort it out!

Glad im not alone.

It was known where I used to work as the deadly Panda!

Adam

IFEMaster

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:41 am

You do not neeed an anti-virus if you DON"T OPEN FILES YOU DON"T KNOW WHERE THEY'VE BEEN. Its that simple. Emails are scanned by my service(Yahoo) and I don't open download files unless I know where they come from. I have heard several experts say this quetly, but they won't say it loudly because of all the stupid people who can't keep discipline.

That's a stupid thing to say. Viruses can be contracted by MANY other means than just opening a strange file. Any expert that labels the average user as 'stupid people who can't keep discipline' is far from an expert. Any REALIST will tell you that not having some virus safeguard in place is shooting yourself in the foot.

mhodgson

Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:40 am

Yep - I got a virus yesterday through a windows plug and play issue. I had to reformat (there was probably a better way, but as the computer was new it wasn't really an issue!). I didn't open any files; I simply plugged in an external hard drive and got a message saying my computer would shut down in 60 seconds.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

IFEMaster

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:00 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 30):
simply plugged in an external hard drive and got a message saying my computer would shut down in 60 seconds.

Sounds like the rather annoying SASSER worm, or a variant thereof. I remember a couple of years ago when the SASSER worm was the hot threat, I was reimaging a Win2k machine, and within minutes of getting it up and running, I got the SASSER message. I figured I must have not run the reimage, or the image itself was infected, so I reimaged from an image I knew for sure was clean. Same thing happened, and I scratched my head for a while before I realized that the system was in the DMZ in my firewall settings and so was totally exposed to the Internet. Dropped the DMZ, reimaged one more time, installed ESET's beautiful NOD32, and reopened the DMZ...no problems!

mhodgson

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:31 am

Yeah; anyway I'm all up and running again now. Hopefully it won't come back!!

mham001

Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:27 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 28):

Actually the one I heard say this last is more of a security expert than anybody on this board. I'm looking for the podcast done with Leo LaPorte. Somewhere in these podcasts...http://www.twit.tv/sn41?p=5

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 30):
Yep - I got a virus yesterday through a windows plug and play issue. I had to reformat (there was probably a better way, but as the computer was new it wasn't really an issue!). I didn't open any files; I simply plugged in an external hard drive and got a message saying my computer would shut down in 60 seconds.

That wasn't a plug and play issue, you introduced a hard drive fulll of unscanned files into your system. Thats exactly how they say you have to be disciplined. BTW, "stupid" was my words, but the song remains the same.

[Edited 2006-09-02 02:38:53]

ba757

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:37 pm

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 33):
Actually the one I heard say this last is more of a security expert than anybody on this board. I'm looking for the podcast done with Leo LaPorte. Somewhere in these podcasts...http://www.twit.tv/sn41?p=5

Expert in who's opinion? Its a word thats thrown around a lot these days with little meaning.

What he is said is absolute hogwash, as IFEMaster said:

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 29):
Viruses can be contracted by MANY other means than just opening a strange file.

Adam

knoxibus

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:56 pm

NOD32 from ESET as some others here.

Glad to see that others around the world are using it, it is really amazing.

As an anecdote, I lost my OS HDD on or about the 14th July (equivalent to the 4th of July in the US, so therefore, a bank holiday highly respected in France, anyway, which holiday the french do not take as soon as they can? Big grin )

The support guy from ESET sent me a link to re-download the whole program at 22.00 (10.00 PM) that night. Pretty good!
No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.

NoUFO

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:35 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 28):

Actually the one I heard say this last is more of a security expert than anybody on this board.

And I would partially agree with him.

What you clearly need when online is a reliable firewall, but you don't necessarily need an AV program as long as you know the thread and what to do - or not to do - accordingly.

You literally can count the number of "viruses" I received after almost twenty years on the fingers of one hand. I believe I received two or three worms (not viruses) by e-mail and another one, a macro virus, with an MS Word document a Japanese client sent to me.
None of them were executed, since my e-mail client does not run scripts and doesn't even load pictures embedded in the mail. Of course I turn off the macro option of MS Office before opening a document I myself didn't write (which is something Mac users should do as well).
I'm not egoistic enough to use illegal P2P sources, and I don't care about about games and crappy downloads from God-knows-where.
Damage to my computers since 1989 (online since 1995 or 96): none, nada, nix, and I truly am a hardcore user.

I use AV software as an additional protection, but I don't see why Mac users always laugh about Windows users and their fear for viruses.

[Edited 2006-09-03 03:39:19]
I support the right to arm bears

Dougloid

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:23 pm

AVG anti - virus, i have norton installed but theres no were that says uninstall so if anyone has any ideas how to get rid of it

Rgds --James--

I've used Norton in the past and consider it the virus. What is being said about uninstalling it is correct, you will not uninstall all of it without going through your registry and manually getting every reference.

And one thing is for sure. If you decide you want to try a few anti virus programs to see which one suits you the best make sure you remove whatever you've got before you try the next one.

And if you have an instant messaging program, shut it the heck off while you're downloading. I had this happen and it caused a huge system crash. Very lucky to have saved two years worth of work.

I had norton for quite a while and I did not like the money they were charging. They make it difficult to remove their program, the uninstall is not clean, and you have to go through the registry and clean it out manually.

I've got AVG free on all three computers here and it works quite well.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

IFEMaster

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:32 pm

Leo LaPorte

Well Leo would certainly have disagreed with the "expert". I listen to Leo every weekend on KFI, both days, and I listen to/watch his various podcasts and video podcasts, and he in consistent in his assertation that you DO need some kind of virus protection if you connect your computer to the Internet.

HAWK21M

Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:16 pm

AVG Antivirus
Adaware 6.0
Spybot Search & Destroy.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Leskova

Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:54 pm

I use Avast (www.avast.com) - it's free for personal use.
Smile - it confuses people!

mhodgson

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:59 pm

That wasn't a plug and play issue, you introduced a hard drive fulll of unscanned files into your system.

Except they weren't unscanned - the HDD has previously been used in a desktop, and runs AVG as well. I checked the MS website, which is what alerted me to the problem being a P&P issue.

Klaus

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:02 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 36):
I use AV software as an additional protection, but I don't see why Mac users always laugh about Windows users and their fear for viruses.

Laughing about the poor users afflicted with that leaky rust-bucket Windows would certainly be inappropriate. They're suffering more than enough already.

Equally misplaced would be the illusion of total safety under MacOS. Right now you simply can't get infected with a Mac, and it will remain a lot less likely for a long time, but taking proper care and paying attention remains necessary.

Still, active Windows threats number by the tens of thousands, and merely connecting a Windows machine to the internet without actually doing anything will already have you infected within minutes. An external firewall is basically a necessity with a Windows machine (the same is true for a Mac running Windows, of course!).

On the other side my Mac is connected directly to the internet with no extra firewall in between and basically the default settings MacOS X came with (plus a few tweaks for special needs) and nothing has ever happened - nor could it at this time.

So I certainly see no reason to laugh about those less fortunate, but I'd be negligent if I didn't make recommendations based on facts and experience (security being just one of many arguments).

max999

Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:59 am

I use Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition Version 10.1; I get free virus definition updates with this program. It automatically downloads new definitions every night.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

wukka

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:17 pm

I've used Norton in the past and consider it the virus.

Absolutely. That hunk-o-junk will drag your system down to its' knees.

For personal use, AVG or Avast are both excellent products, real-time, lightweight, and free.

What is being said about uninstalling it is correct, you will not uninstall all of it without going through your registry and manually getting every reference.

Even hand-picking through your registry won't completely get rid of that bastard software unless you go through key by key, and even then you're likely to miss some.

It leaves so much outside of a search for "norton" and "symantec" that still gets fired up at runtime. This causes some versions to not install over other versions, let alone trying to install a competitor.

Fortunately I have an Enterprise client that was willing to spend the time on the phone with Symantec to get an "internal" proggie called nonav that rips all semblance of their product off of your machine. Add/Delete programs by itself won't get it, and surprisingly enough, they'll admit to that over the phone.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 42):
Right now you simply can't get infected with a Mac...

Rubbish. See my other reply to you about your sacred Mac regarding this little thing called "Google", and using "OSX worm" and "OSX virus" in the search box.

Security through obscurity is one thing, but security through your blind faith is another thing entirely, Klaus. What it comes down to is that it's still Unix (more FreeBSD than anything) based, and I've seen more than my fair share of hacked up Unix-based machines.

You might love her, but she's not infallible.
We can agree to disagree.

Klaus

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:35 pm

Quoting Wukka (Reply 44):
Rubbish. See my other reply to you about your sacred Mac regarding this little thing called "Google", and using "OSX worm" and "OSX virus" in the search box.

Speculation, wishful thinking and isolated proof-of-concept trojans have long been paraded up and down with very little connection to actual reality, if any at all. Is there an actual risk of getting infected, especially for a halfway current Mac? Not that I know of.

Fact is: Both for non-techs and for experts a Mac is still the safer choice by very, very far, especially if common sense is applied as it always should.

airbusA346

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:58 pm

I use AVG Free, Avast Free and I also have the setup file that came with my new laptop for a 6 month trial for Norton Anti-Virus 2006, which hasn't been installed yet.

I did have McAfee on my old laptop and it is total rubbish and not worth the money.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

wukka

Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:27 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 45):
Fact is: Both for non-techs and for experts a Mac is still the safer choice by very, very far, especially if common sense is applied as it always should.

If common sense were applied by the person behind the monitor, there'd be very few infected Windows machines. Clickhereforabiggerdick.sh has a smaller target audience than Clickhereforabiggerdick.asp

The more cars that Toyota has on the road, the more likely they are to be involved in a fatal accident, regardless of side-curtain airbags and the like.

Yeah, it's a complete and total oversimplification, but since you're tech-savvy, you know damn well what I'm getting at.

If you want to get super-techie-nerdy with me, then let's talk offline, okay? I don't want to completely hijack this thread.
We can agree to disagree.

damirc

Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:29 pm

NOD32 here too ....

ClamAV for mails on my Linux  Wink

D.

Klaus

Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:33 pm

Quoting Wukka (Reply 47):
If common sense were applied by the person behind the monitor, there'd be very few infected Windows machines.

Or just fewer Windows machines to begin with! Big grin

Look, system administrators, service and support people are making money off the problems Windows brings with it. For everybody else, it's just a pointless aggravation and waste of resources.

This very thread should not have been necessary in the first place!

Quoting Wukka (Reply 47):
The more cars that Toyota has on the road, the more likely they are to be involved in a fatal accident, regardless of side-curtain airbags and the like.

Unfortunately the "Toyotas" in your example are causing practicall all the accidents right now, even though there are other makes around. Would that make me buy a Toyota under those circumstances? Hell, no!  Wow!

And still people keep buying them even though they know the wheels will come off on the highway eventually. But the times are changing.