turbo7x7

MTV Awards Tonight - Anyone Care?

Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:48 am

Here's the view from the 4th floor of the office building I work in.

http://users.rcn.com/drobledo/mtv_awards.jpg

ba757

RE: MTV Awards Tonight - Anyone Care?

Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:50 am

Not really, seems that every TV station / newspaper / magazine has awards ceremonies these days.

Adam

deltagator

Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:54 am

Nope. Just a bunch of blowhards yammering on about how great they are and how their videos are so important to our daily lives.

BTW...Shouldn't MTV actually show some videos before they continue to give away video awards?
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

turbo7x7

Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:14 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 2):
Nope. Just a bunch of blowhards yammering on about how great they are and how their videos are so important to our daily lives.

More importantly, these people are messing with my commute home, lol.

I remember some great videos back in the 80's but that's ancient history. One of my faves: "Shock the Monkey" Peter Gabriel. That one scared the heck out of me when I was a kid!

[Edited 2006-09-01 01:29:19]

VHVXB

Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:16 am

Agreed

gregtx

Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:25 am

Going to a VMA party...but it's basically a fund raiser.

Could care less about the actual awards...just want to see some of my buds and well, have a few Buds!

Can't think of a single video that had even the most minor affect on my life...or many that I can even remember...

Continental

Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:49 am

I don't care much about it, but the large crowd is pretty cool. I was shooting around a few days ago before the big day.

Big version: Width: 700 Height: 525 File size: 94kb

This is where they'll have the MTV people talking I assume:

Big version: Width: 700 Height: 525 File size: 77kb

TheSonntag

Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:53 am

MTV ceased to be interesting some years ago... When they quit playing Music. Today, MTV in Germany is the worst crap imaginable... Only cheap junk series, NO MUSIC, and, worst of all, JAMBA commercials.

While I oppose death penalty, it might be a good idea for the MTV managers  Wink

deltagator

Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:58 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 7):
While I oppose death penalty, it might be a good idea for the MTV managers

Holy Crap! I didn't realize they had become that bad to push you over the edge on that issue.

Quoting Turbo7x7 (Reply 3):
More importantly, these people are messing with my commute home,

Amen. Yammer all you want MTV...just don't f*** with my commute. I'm the same way down here or more so in the airport.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Gilligan

Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:55 am

Only if the chicks showing up follow their network tv emmy friends from the other night and allow the ta-ta's to come out and play.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

columba

Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:35 pm

MTV ceased to be interesting some years ago... When they quit playing Music. Today, MTV in Germany is the worst crap imaginable... Only cheap junk series, NO MUSIC, and, worst of all, JAMBA commercials.

Agreed on that. As MTV was new here in Germany it was fun to watch. Shows like "Ray Cokes" helped me to learn English .
There was some good music videos that I remember having seen as a kid Peter Gabriel "Sledgehammer", all the Nirvana videos, Aerosmith "Crazy" and "Cryin" were awesome as a teen mostly because of the cute Alicia Silverstone.
Other video classics that I loved to see were "Money For Nothing" by the Dire Straits or Tom Petty´s "Mary Jane´Last Dance".
But now it is mostly stupid shows like "Pimp My Ride" etc and if they play "music" it is also the worst crap. If I see what people like "50 cent" stand for and what kind of "values" they teach these kids today I get sick.
I feel pitty for the kids that grew up with that stuff, I really don´t know if they would still listen to that kind of "music" in 10-15 years.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

DAL767400ER

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:54 pm

Quoting Columba (Reply 10):
I feel pitty for the kids that grew up with that stuff, I really dot know if they would still listen to that kind of "music" in 10-15 years.

Doubt that. Most go through different phases as far as musical tastes go. I left the "Yo yo yo, rap rulz" several years ago, and now am stuck in the "Bang your heads phase", with a touch of old-school classics, like "House of the rising sun" or "In the Ghetto". 5 years ago I would have said I don't listen to such crAp, but times and tastes change. Now, as far as MTV goes, I don't mind stuff like PmR, because I'm a car-fanatic, and some of the Jackass-copies (and of course South Park Big grin ), but all this dating stuff and lack of actual music is getting on my nerves. The only time when I could watch MTV's entire program is between 1 am and 6 am, because they actually play really good hard music then, but when you have to start work at 9 am, those times aren't really ideal.

Sabena332

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:57 pm

Agreed on that. As MTV was new here in Germany it was fun to watch. Shows like "Ray Cokes" helped me to learn English .

checkmark 

I always watched Most Wanted and Beavis and Buthead afterwards... good ole times. Big grin

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

halls120

Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:15 pm

BTW...Shouldn't MTV actually show some videos before they continue to give away video awards?

rotfl  I remember watching MTV when they actually played music videos. Once they stopped doing that, and then once Beavis and Butthead were dropped, I stopped watching.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

slider

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:00 pm

MTV is still on the air?

Wink

9VSPO

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:07 pm

The Killers are performing their new single on it tonight and they will be in my home town here in the UK on thursday. Tickets for the event here sold out in 35 minutes and there are a pair for sale on ebay for over £1000.

Their new tour is almost completely sold out.

OlegShv

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:22 pm

TV awards, Movie awards, Music awards - too much self gloss. I'm sick of it already. I just don't understand people actually like to watch this crap.

aa61hvy

Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:18 am

My father was at the awards...I'm looking forward to speaking with him about a first hand account. He attended the pre-party. I'll post something, if he tells me anything worth while.
Go big or go home

Gilligan

Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:37 am

What a snoozefest. No language, no ta-ta's, hell they've got Al Gore up there doing a slide show, what a waste of dvd recording time!
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

cfcuq

Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:37 am

Quoting Turbo7x7 (Thread starter):
Anyone Care?

Nope !

slider

Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:53 am

Quoting Gilligan (Reply 18):
hell they've got Al Gore up there doing a slide show

Surely you jest.

Are you kidding?

Oh god, how predictable and dour.

"Rock the Vote"
"Save the Planet"

What a crock.

texan

Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:45 am

The only reason I care is because a buddy of mine works for the company putting it on (doing the lighting, sound, stage setup, etc). But I had to study last night and didn't have time to watch.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

AsstChiefMark

Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:50 am

The only good thing about it was the Treadmill Dance.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

richardnhsv

Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:00 am

OK... it's been a while, but I must post this again...

http://www.meltedmoon.dk/who-cares/who-cares.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist
(not directed at anyone here... just the MTV thing itself)
"If you've ever had a filet this good, welcome back." - Ruth Fertel

LTU932

Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:53 am

MTV ceased to be interesting some years ago...

checkmark 

Today, MTV in Germany is the worst crap imaginable... Only cheap junk series, NO MUSIC, and, worst of all, JAMBA commercials.

Haha. You haven't seen MTV Latin America just yet. It's definitely worse than MTV Deutschland (and I haven't seen MTV Deutschland, only MTV Europe  Silly ). However, if I get the chance, I'll turn on VM Latino (a Costa Rican music channel). On Sundays they even have a two hour show with only 80's music (or simply: the good stuff).

There was some good music videos that I remember having seen as a kid Peter Gabriel "Sledgehammer", all the Nirvana videos, Aerosmith "Crazy" and "Cryin" were awesome as a teen mostly because of the cute Alicia Silverstone.
Other video classics that I loved to see were "Money For Nothing" by the Dire Straits or Tom Petty´s "Mary Jane´Last Dance".

I remember that I was hooked on MTV back then, just to watch those Aerosmith vids with Liv Tyler and Alicia Silverstone. But they also showed some nice music in my time.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 12):
Beavis and Buthead

Those were indeed the good ol' days. Unfortunately, when they ran Beavis and Butthead in Germany, my parents wouldn't let me see it most of the time because it ran always on at 22:30.  gnasher 

CastleIsland

Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:08 am

As a musician who actually plays an instrument, I hate video. What a lame-ass buncha crap.

Figure out how to play music, and leave it at that. Video is for the non-talents who just have cocks and tits to wave around as their "talent."
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

NWOrientDC10

Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:43 am

Quoting Turbo7x7 (Thread starter):
MTV Awards Tonight - Anyone Care?

no

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem