TPAflyer
Topic Author

Embry-Riddle

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:27 am

I searched for previous threads and I only found two but they were over 5 years old and I just wanted an updated opinion. Im a senior in HS and really want to fly for an airline for a living. Ive been looking over Embry-Riddle and Ive heard great things and not so great things. I just want to ask all of you what you would think the best path for me would be to get into the cockpit of an airliner someday, and if Embry-Riddle would be the best route. I know Purdue and Western Michigan have good flight programs but I would like to stay in Florida as much as possible for scholarship reasons. So any feedback would be great!

ilikeyyc

RE: Embry-Riddle

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:34 am

First of all, Welcome to A.net!

Secondly, this topic is more of a non-aviation topic. Don't be surprised if it gets moved there. Did you try searching non-aviation?

Since your e-mail is with held, e-mail me and I'll let you know what I think of the school. I graduated there last year.
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

Fly2HMO

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:43 am

I go to the PRC campus and I'm loving it. PRC has the better flight program. I'm a junior. You'll hear all sorts of crap about the school from people here that have no clue about what they're saying. You got to talk to guys like me or graduates if you want the real picture. All you're going to get out of the drop-outs is BS. So ya feel free to contact me through my profile.

[Edited 2006-09-01 04:45:22]

MCOflyer

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:48 am

I had friends that went there and they said they liked it. One is going there to become an airline pilot. Its a good school and its in Florida.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

N766UA

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:51 am

If you're flying do part 61, don't do it in college. College is WAY overpriced and it's all politics. If you do a flight major do aviation managment or similar and take flight lessons on your own at a private school. I can't stress enough how big of a waste taking flying lessons at a university is, especially ERAU. The name on a degree doesn't matter if you're trying to fly for the airlines. If it's what you want to do, fine, but there are better ways of getting your license.
This Website Censors Me

MCOflyer

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:55 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 4):
If it's what you want to do, fine, but there are better ways of getting your license.

Amen to that, i'm getting mine locally.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Cleco

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:00 pm

Riddle is a great school. Just be prepared to be dedicated to flying. I've seen a lot of kids leave saying "they ruined flying for me". People say this because they're not willing to work, and think its all about hanging out and making a landing and takeoff. Also, get your private and as many licenses as possible before you get here. As a freshman they may try to tell you that you have to wait to fly, thats BS, just push them on it, they'll give in.
EMBRY-RIDDLE BABY

thegreatchecko

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:09 pm

Oh crap! duck 

This will probably be a fun one.

You either love or hate the place and with flight departments, the same holds true.

Embry Riddle has a lot going for it and probably isn't that bad of a school. However...(and this is my personal opinion, so don't ya'll get your panties all wadded up if you don't like it)

I feel Riddle is very expensive for what you get, Daytona has a lot left to be desired, you will probably get a more well rounded education (and women) at another school, not that many options beyond transferring if you don't like aviation anymore, and yeah, no women. biggrin 

I grew up in Florida and was in the same situation. I looked at both Jacksonville University (Delta Connection), that's for another thread, and ERAU. I wasn't too impressed with either.

I knew I would get a good education at Riddle, but had a feeling that living and breathing aviation 24/7 would get old quick and as much as I love pilots, hanging out with them gets old after a while (Yes, I know you can land your 172 on a point +/- 10 feet, can we PLEASE talk about something else....).

There are a ton of good schools elsewhere in the country that:
A.) Are cheaper,
B.) Allow you to study something else other than Aviation Science (its really a pretty worthless degree outside aviation), and
C.) let you have a more rounded college experience.

My advice, whether or not you decide to go to Riddle:

Start here and look at all of the schools.

http://uaa.auburn.edu

Don't discount any because the name doesn't sound impressive! I did that and almost missed out on where I went, and that would have sucked!

Some things to find out from the schools you like:

1. What are the flight fees? How many hours does it take for the normal student to finish each course?

-Ask a couple of people this, not just the admissions folks, they tend to have the "marketing" info in front of them. Avoid taking the canned, minimum times numbers. Very few actually gets their certificate at minimum times, you will probably go over.

2. What internships are available AND (this is REALLY important) where have students from this university actually gone?

-Many internships will take apps from any student, Southwest is a great example. However, just because an internship is available doesn't mean that students from that particular university have ever even been seriously considered for it. In my opinion, internships are the best things you can do in college. Aviation is about knowing people and its about the best way to do that and get your foot in the door.

3. Who does the flight training? Is it Part 141 or Part 61?

-Personally, if you are paying college bucks for flying, it better be Part 141 and in house, there is more structured and better quality control.

4. What certificates will I graduate with? Can you get your CFI through the school and what does that entail?

-You really need the CFI to be marketable after school unless you have some connections or set yourself up to do some banner towing, which isn't a bad gig either.

5. Are you accredited?

-Another great website to look at: http://www.caaaccreditation.org/programs.html

6. Maintenance? Who does it? How often are the planes inspected?

-The minimum is every 100 hours, however most good programs do an inspection every 50 hours. As a former instructor, in house maintenance is definitely an advantage, downtime is usually minimal and its nice to have an A&P to look at something if its iffy.

That's just a short list of questions to ask. Remember, the admissions folks probably don't have a clue about flying. So get a hold of someone at the flightline and talk to them.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. I used to work in admissions and am a former university flight instructor, so I might know what I'm talking about.

GreatChecko

PS. I highly suggest looking at Parks College of Saint Louis University  Wink . I know some people there if you want me to point you in the right direction. It isn't the only good school out there though.

http://www.slu.edu/

I enjoyed myself in college, not just because of the flying, but because I made a group of friends with diverse interests and had the advantages of a big city on my side as well.
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

burnsie28

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:17 pm

The name on a degree doesn't matter if you're trying to fly for the airlines. If it's what you want to do, fine, but there are better ways of getting your license.

Your right, why get a four year degree when its required. Also it does make a difference, ask Horizon, and Pinnacle to name a couple about how they prefer UND grads and go beyond their "low" hours of hiring....

thegreatchecko

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:19 pm

Quoting Ilikeyyc (Reply 1):
Secondly, this topic is more of a non-aviation topic. Don't be surprised if it gets moved there. Did you try searching non-aviation?

It probably has has more to do with aviation than some of the threads on here right now.

If you're flying do part 61, don't do it in college. College is WAY overpriced and it's all politics. If you do a flight major do aviation managment or similar and take flight lessons on your own at a private school. I can't stress enough how big of a waste taking flying lessons at a university is, especially ERAU. The name on a degree doesn't matter if you're trying to fly for the airlines. If it's what you want to do, fine, but there are better ways of getting your license.

For the most part, you are right, the name has little to do with where you get hired, but it might have a lot to do with getting your foot in the door.

Career Fairs, speakers, internships, just some of a few things that a college will allow you to do that a Part 61 flight school won't.

You don't like politics, huh. biggrin 

If you haven't figured it out by reading this board pilots have opinions about everything, they are always right, and can be pretty good drama queens at times (myself included probably).

This industry is full of politics and it doesn't get any prettier wherever you go.

GreatChecko

[Edited 2006-09-01 05:46:09]
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

ATCme

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:23 pm

I visited the University of North Dakota campus over the summer and they have a very good flying program. I was impressed with their instructors and all the opportunities a pilot has there to get hours in different planes. They even have a new CRJ simulator.
But I haven't been to or seen the ERAU campus, so I can't comment on that. But as for scholarships, if you think that you are going to lose more than $4,000 a year by going out of state then stay at ERAU, but UND seems a lot cheaper...

ATCme  spin 

This is my opinion and I CLEARLY stated that I haven't been to ERAU, so don't flame me.
I'm from the FAA, and I'm here to help. Really. Yes I'm serious, I'm here to help you.

FlightShadow

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:54 pm

I had my heart set on ERAU until I actually talked to various students in aviation programs across the nation. ERAU is VERY expensive ( I didn't need other people to tell me that ) and, along with other opinions in this thread, I'm starting to think that it is somewhat overpriced for what you get.

Granted, I'm aiming for ATC and not flying, but right now I'm planning on UND (University of North Dakota). Everyone I've talked to says it's a great school (for both ATC and Flying), and although it's definitely not in Florida, I think it's worth a look.

It is also much cheaper to get licenses from a company rather than a college. Right now I beileve the Commercial License costs ~30,000USD from a private company versus that + tuition + other classes at a college.
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

eraugrad02

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:44 pm

I of course went to ERAU but i also applied to THE FLORIDA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY as well in melborne, fl. also someone commented aboutb alot being desired in daytona. they are right. i lived in orlando and drove 30 miles to school. its so much better living there if u can.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

cbphoto

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:54 pm

Thats why American Eagle, Horizon, Mesa, Great Lakes and a number of other carriers have lower then there lowest minimums for college pilots?  confused 

Don't listen to garbage like this. I go to ERAU and it was the best decision of my life. I am not going to push ERAU on you, but you really should get a degree in aviation at a well know college. If you want to be a pilot, fly at a college. The college will prepare you immensely for the airline world. Flying can be very tough and vigorous, but that's exactly what the airline world is like. When your at college, make as many contacts as you can and I promise you they will open up doors through out the aviation world. Because of the contacts I have made here at ERAU, I have gotten jet time, an internship with the FAA, internship offers at various big name airlines, as well a possible job all lined up when I graduate. Go to mom and pops part 61 FBO on the weekends to have fun and dink around in. But if your looking to fly the heavy metal, fly at a university. I suggest visit as many as you can, and see which one best fits your lifestyle and pocket book. I will tell you one good thing about ERAU!! Ask any pilot, foreign or domestic and they will tell you they have heard of ERAU. Believe you me, I have tried it!!!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

ordryan28

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:12 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 3):
Its a good school and its in Florida.

It is a good school, he's right. but please note : it's in florida, thats reason enough not to go there...
Whoever said winning is not everything never fought cancer.

FL370

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:21 pm

ya i have a friend that goes to embry riddle in prescot, he says its not a big school but at the same time pretty good. i've heard only good news from him

fl370

xjramper

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:04 pm

Riddle is a great school. We have quality profs for the in class stuff and decent instructors and very well maintained aircraft. IIRC we just acquired 8 new 172s from Independence this week, so the potential is there.

But whether or not you go part 61 or come here to Riddle's part 142, you are still going to be able to fly the metal. If you go part 61, make sure to acquire a college degree, or if you go part 141 at a school at Flight Safety or All ATPs or something like those, still get a college degree.

As a product of two part 61 certs, I see Riddle students and the AS program as a factory spitting really low time pilots out with or without a CFI/II to which they have to still build hours. I have 231 hours and I have more time than any of our new commercial multi students.

Quoting CBPhoto (Reply 14):

Thats why American Eagle, Horizon, Mesa, Great Lakes and a number of other carriers have lower then there lowest minimums for college pilots?

Actually all non-college hardcore Part 141 schools to the likes of All ATPS, Flight Safety, RAA, etc have the lowest. In fact, I have yet to see the difference in times from a collegiate flight school to a part 61 school.

Quoting Ordryan28 (Reply 15):
it's in florida, thats reason enough not to go there...

Quoting TPAflyer (Thread starter):
but I would like to stay in Florida as much as possible for scholarship reasons

banghead 

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 8):
Your right, why get a four year degree when its required.

Four year degrees are "recommended" not required. They would prefer a college degree and along with that your ATP, which you cannot get until at least 1500 hours. And keep in mind that is the ATP cert not just the written.
source: http://www.pilotjobs.com/

Bottom line is, visit all the schools as you can (as previously mentioned). Chose the best one that fits you, not what you can fit into.

Best of luck!

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

cbphoto

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:30 pm

Quoting Xjramper (Reply 16):
Actually all non-college hardcore Part 141 schools to the likes of All ATPS, Flight Safety, RAA, etc have the lowest. In fact, I have yet to see the difference in times from a collegiate flight school to a part 61 school.

Believe you me I am not trying to get into a fight with you or anything! I do however know, that American Eagle has a agreement with ERAU, that if you have a 3.0 GPA, as well as a letter of recomendation from the dean of AS, the minimum required hours to apply is 500 total time and 100 multi time. These required hours are good all year round, no matter what the company minimums are at the time of application. I know a few other colleges and flight accademys have this.

Quoting Xjramper (Reply 16):
Four year degrees are "recommended" not required

This is true, however, as a pilot you will loose your competitive edge over fellow pilots if you do not have a degree of some sorts. You can not get anywhere in todays world with out at least a degree, even if it is in basket weaving!!!

My advice before I retire for the night: Kids, stay in school!!!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

pilotaydin

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:54 pm

I went to ERAU in daytona, im 25 years old, I now fly for Turkish Airlines on the 737-400/800 as a F/O, compared to people who just got their ratings at flight schools versus a flight degree at college...we're miles and miles ahead

so it does matter if you go to college or not, it doesn't matter really which uni it is as long as it's known for it's aviation..
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

dw9115

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:58 pm

I went to ERAU and I fly for Delta and I flew for SkyWest in my regional days and I can tell you a degree matters a very very lot and yes the type of degree does matter but if you choose ERAU, UND, or Purdue (all of which are great but expensive schools) they will help you find which best fits your career goals wants and needs. I know a lot of people are going to tell you a lot of things like you just go to the local FBO and get your license and build hours and maybe get a liberal arts degree some place and no problem you’ll get hired at 1200 hours. Well they are setting you up for failure and are probably not flying for a living but instead wishing they could and will put anyway down you wish to take to achieve your goals. You can still become a pilot that way but it is becoming harder everyday and you will find yourself at a disadvantage when you are hired because of the very people you are competing against for promotion's etc. have been to one of the only 23 CAA (Council on Aviation Accreditation) approved schools (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT see link http://flighttraining.aopa.org/ft_ma...fm?id=5649&issue_title=June%202006 ). If you choose ERAU or another school you will always have typical school BS that just goes with the territory and if this is what you really want to do this it will not matter as long you get to fly. There are cheaper schools out there that are CAA approved like University of Nebraska at Omaha that can offer the same education at a fraction of the price as ERAU, UND or Purdue. The best advice anyone can tell you is look at each school you are considering very closely and see if they will fit your educational needs and also your financial needs because there is no point in going to a school and paying all that money if you are unable to finish which happens to a lot of students at ERAU that do not plan ahead as to what they will need to complete there training. Also go to your local airport and talk to some actual pilots that fly for a living because they are what you want to be and they can help you (usually more then willing and it will help you make contacts for later) and explain things to you better then the 99.99% of people that post on A.NET that have never touched the controls of an actual aircraft. Best of luck and if flying is what you really want it will be the most rewarding career you could ever choose.

CAA APPROVED SCHOOLS

Arizona State University, Mesa, Arizona
Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama
Central Missouri State University, Warrensburg, Missouri
Daniel Webster College, Nashua, New Hampshire
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Florida, and Prescott, Arizona
Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne, Florida
Hampton University, Hampton, Virginia
Kansas State University, Salina, Kansas
Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, Louisiana
Mercer County Community College, Trenton, New Jersey
Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, Tennessee
North Shore Community College, Danvers, Massachusetts
Parks College of Engineering, Aviation, and Technology of
St. Louis University, St. Louis, Missouri
Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, Minnesota
University of Dubuque, Dubuque, Iowa
University of Nebraska at Omaha, Omaha, Nebraska
University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, North Dakota
University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma
Utah State University, Logan, Utah
Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan

[Edited 2006-09-01 09:01:05]

reins485

Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:45 pm

Quoting TheGreatChecko (Reply 7):
I highly suggest looking at Parks College of Saint Louis University

I agree that you should check SLU out, I am a physics and math major and I am in Parks College at SLU. SLU used to have a good deal, with the min. hours being free and they would charge you for your over time. However, last year's class was the last one to get the deal because it was bankrupting the parks college to the point that they have moved physics to college of arts and sciences (but i am grandfathered in, which i am happy about). Also, i know several pilots here who have a second major, including one in physics. So if you want to study another subject along with flying it is not hard to do at SLU. And don't let the cost of SLU set you off because 93% of the students receive finical aid. I got a decent scholarship just because of my high school G.P.A., which wasn't that amazing. I am really happy at SLU.

I don't know as much about ERAU, but my cousin graduated from there and now works for the air force. He can't fly because of medical reasons for them. I know he was very happy there. I was thinking about flying and I looked at ERAU. The only major drawback about ERAU is the small amount of majors that they offer making it difficult to change fields, which as of now your heart is on flying, and you never know if you want to change fields of study.

But I would recomend either of these schools as well as several others, such as Auburn, I know a few pilots there and Middle Tennessee State University, which also has a good flying program. (I am from Nashville) I also checked out the flying program at Southern Illinois University Carbondale and it has a good program as well. I was thinking about becoming a pilot before I fell in love with physics.

My advice is check out as many schools as possible. I applied to around 15 (my parents were nuts about me applying to a ton of schools) and not only does it give you more options, you also gain a lot of knowledge and can come up with more questions to ask the schools before picking one.

Alex
P.S. if you have questions about SLU feel free to contact me and I can answer them or have one of my pilot friends answer your questions.

P.S.S. FYI SLU has a very large girl to guy ratio, I think its at least 60:40 girls to guys, which is always nice bigthumbsup .

futureualpilot

Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:51 pm

It is your college, so do something you like, but, every airline pilot I have talked to has highly reccomended I major in something other than flight, because you cannot be certain that you will be able to fly forever and should have something to fall back on. You may want to fly, but checkrides, medicals, and life sometimes unfortunately have other ideas. I want to be an airline pilot as well, but I am flying outside of school and progressing just fine.
Life is better when you surf.

slider

Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:58 pm

Quoting TheGreatChecko (Reply 7):
I feel Riddle is very expensive for what you get, Daytona has a lot left to be desired, you will probably get a more well rounded education (and women) at another school, not that many options beyond transferring if you don't like aviation anymore, and yeah, no women.

I would concur with this. ERAU is very expensive and probably not the best value. Whether critics love or hate ERAU, you are paying for the name and reputation. Much of that is legitimate, some of it not as much.

I've heard people gush over their grads and others that are indifferent and yet others that are outright hostile claiming ERAU is a total ripoff, completely over-rated, etc.

The correct answer is that it is what YOU make it. As a student, as an alumnus, and as a professional, whether it's as a pilot and aviator, or engineer, or business person.

flyingbronco05

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:40 pm

Quoting ATCme (Reply 10):
I visited the University of North Dakota campus over the summer and they have a very good flying program. I was impressed with their instructors and all the opportunities a pilot has there to get hours in different planes. They even have a new CRJ simulator.

WMU has a new CRJ sim, too, and a brand new fleet of Cirrus SR20's and 22's.

Also, we are about a 1/3rd less than UND and HALF the price of Riddle.

Over the past 12 months, roughly 15-20% of flight students at WMU have transferred in from Riddle claiming it was TOO EXPENSIVE.
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

TransWorldSTL

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:55 am

Quoting Flyingbronco05 (Reply 23):
Over the past 12 months, roughly 15-20% of flight students at WMU have transferred in from Riddle claiming it was TOO EXPENSIVE.

Well, I guess you've gotta pay for all the gawdy buildings on the Daytona Campus somehow! After visiting ERAU for about 10 minutes, I quickly realized the administration is trying to attract students simply by the looks of the campus. I'm sure alot of the academics are great too, but whats the point if you're going to be in debt for the rest of your life so you can go to a pretty school?

Also, IMO, having your heart set on staying in Florida simply for some scholarships isn't the best of ideas.. You could be missing out on some great opportunities by staying in state.. I live in St.Louis, but I've decided the best thing for me is to start out at Miami-Dade College, and transfer to Univ of Alaska @ Anchorage to finish up with a Bachelor's Degree, all for ATC, and Dispatching...

JFKspotter

Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:27 am

Quoting ATCme (Reply 10):
They even have a new CRJ simulator.

Quoting Flyingbronco05 (Reply 23):
WMU has a new CRJ sim, too, and a brand new fleet of Cirrus SR20's and 22's.

ERAU has had a CRJ sim for a few years now, and we have an entire course just for that. Also over the summer we received 16 glass-cockpit (Garmin 1000) Cessna 172's.

doug_or

Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:54 am

I went to a university flight school after starting my flying part 61. I interned at a major with students from other univerities. After gaduating I instructed part 61 and then at another university. I now fly for a regioanl thanks to connections form my school.

That said, I agree with FutureUALpilot. Most everyone who's been there and done that seems to agree. $hit happens, and its good to have something to fall back on. You might on at a regional slightly quicker with a certain degree, but the additional cost is not worth a 24k job.
When in doubt, one B pump off

N243NW

Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:35 am

Hi there,

I am also a student at SLU (freshman), majoring in aerospace engineering and aviation science (the flight program). Though aerospace is technically my more important major right now, I know some friends enrolled in flight lessons and they were actually at the controls of our Tampicos today, less than a week into classes. I'm sure I'll have a blast with the flying aspect of college (I already love everything else) and I can't wait to start my aviation courses next semester. If you need any advice, feedback, answers, etc. feel free to send me a message. And yes, I can confirm...whereas Parks College of Engineering, Aviation, and Technology is predominantly male, the entire campus is at least 60% female.  Wink

-N243NW Big grin
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

TPAflyer
Topic Author

Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:21 pm

Quoting TransWorldSTL (Reply 24):
Also, IMO, having your heart set on staying in Florida simply for some scholarships isn't the best of ideas.. You could be missing out on some great opportunities by staying in state

Ive been moving all around the world my whole life, I just wanna stay close to "home" for once, plus I cant stand the cold!  cool 

deltagator

Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:32 pm

Quoting TPAflyer (Thread starter):
I would like to stay in Florida as much as possible for scholarship reasons.

Are they a state school or private? If private it won't matter if you are a resident or not. If they are a state school then you'll get the good break on tuition. (When I went to Florida it was $55 a credit hour while out of state folks paid $233.)
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

learpilot

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:11 am

My diploma says Embry-Riddle.

I paid way too much for my diploma.

A commercial / instrument / multi-engine license can be had for much cheaper pretty much anywhere else on the planet than Riddle, and it's just as good as the one from "The Harvard of the Skies".  Yeah sure

My recommendation (as if anyone cares), if you have an interest in anything else, major in that and do your flight training on the side. Don't major in something lame like underwater basket weaving, but something that you can fall back on and make a comfortable living if the need would arise - unless you've found a niche for weaving baskets underwater. In case you've had your head in the sand, American Airlines has over 2000 pilots on furlough. The most junior guy was furloughed shortly after 9/11 and there are no callbacks in sight. Have something you can fall back on and make your student loan payments when the next round of furloughs rolls around. And they will. They always do.

Now someone mentioned getting a job at a regional because of a connection made at Riddle. You would have had a regional job anyway. For the last few years, they've been hiring anyone who can fog a mirror and has the desire to fly a 50 seat jet for $18k/year.
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

lehpron

Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:46 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 2):
You'll hear all sorts of crap about the school from people here that have no clue about what they're saying

Watch it bud, if you cannot be critical about something you like then be quiet. Even I know I'm just paying for the name.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

N766UA

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:58 am

Quoting CBPhoto (Reply 13):
Thats why American Eagle, Horizon, Mesa, Great Lakes and a number of other carriers have lower then there lowest minimums for college pilots?

It's a damn good thing they have lower minimums for college pilots, otherwise they'd never make the cut! Good luck fighting for that airplane with the 500 other students who need lessons on any given day.

By the way, low minimums is nothing to be proud of. Mesa has the lowest minimums of any regional and their reputation is in the tank.
This Website Censors Me

FlyingTexan

Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:43 am

Quoting FutureUALpilot (Reply 21):
every airline pilot I have talked to has highly reccomended I major in something other than flight, because you cannot be certain that you will be able to fly forever and should have something to fall back on. You may want to fly, but checkrides, medicals, and life sometimes unfortunately have other ideas. I

checkmark 

Spot on, UAL. I earned my PPL when I was 18. I wanted to fly for a living. I was going to have Uncle Sam and the fine folks of the United States Military teach me.

By fate, I decided, if something ever happened, I could no longer fly for a living. I decided not to pursue that career.

(and yes, there are some other aviation related fields)

And low and behold, two years ago at the age of 27, I was diagnosed with a 2-inch brain tumor. Said tumor was removed with a procedure called a craniotomy. A good chunk of my skull was removed, my brain f*cked around with, leaving my right appendages semi-paralyzed/uncoordinated, hard of hearing, and very poor vision. The tumor was non-cancerous, knock on wood.

Highly doubt I could obtain a first class medical today. Hell, I can’t even sit in an exit row.

You received tons of advice here, TPAflyer. Good luck and welcome to A.net.

JR
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

TPAflyer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:37 pm

Ya thanks all for the input! Its all been helpful

XFSUgimpLB41X

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:57 pm

I would not suggest ERAU. Way overpriced. I did it all part 61 on the side while I got my regular 4 year degree from FSU.

How did it work out? Look at my profile and see my age.  Smile Email me or IM me on AOL if you have any questions. I'd be more than willing to help.
Chicks dig winglets.

Fly2HMO

Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:29 pm

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 31):
Watch it bud, if you cannot be critical about something you like then be quiet. Even I know I'm just paying for the name.

Oh believe me, I am very critical of Riddle. I just concentrate on looking at it from the good side rather than from the bad side.  angel 

Honestly though, talking about Riddle is pretty much like an A vs B war. The only way to tell if you'll like it or not is experiencing it for yourself.

lehpron

Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:02 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 36):
Honestly though, talking about Riddle is pretty much like an A vs B war. The only way to tell if you'll like it or not is experiencing it for yourself.

Very true. While I cannot blame this school as a whole because of one facalty member, there is a mindset of "do what works" here. I didn't enter the engineering degree to be told what to make, I choose this field back in the 5th grade because I have ideas. I know people who believe there is nothing to do in any other subject than what they like -- that is the problem shared within the entire aerospace community. As a result, there is so much perception and ignorance to fight against just to prove an idea that is not popular.

Embry-Riddle is just really business oriented. This school is #1 and #3 as best aerospace schools in the world because of what employers say about our graduates.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

fumanchewd

Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:45 pm

Embry Riddle is a great school that charges too much for what they give. Any state university with an aviation program will be cheaper and just as good. In my mind UND is the best bang for the buck. If you do go to ER, I agree with others on here who say fly on your own time. ER charges too much for flying and the 141 aspect of it will rip you off in the long run.

The ER guys always look good on paper, but they are a little spoiled and have no sense of reality. The last two ER candidates that I interviewed have had the most unprofessional and depraved Myspace pages. I have no problems with guys that like to party, but when you post pictures and details (including drug usage) on a public myspace account, you are a f'n idiot. I also had one ER guy write on his page very provocative and disgusting religious comments. I believe in free speech but if you are stupid enough to post that crap on myspace, your college didn't teach you s#!t. Why should we hire someone who has so much hate in their head and doesn't understand the diplomacy required in the modern business environment? How much did these idiots spend on their education?
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

LOT767-300ER

Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:17 pm

Or you can be like me and get an Aviation Business degree and not fly at ERAU and not get raped. Cheaper for me here than to go to Loyola or Northwestern in Chicago...oh well.

KFLLCFII

Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:34 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 38):
The ER guys always look good on paper, but they are a little spoiled and have no sense of reality. The last two ER candidates that I interviewed have had the most unprofessional and depraved Myspace pages. I have no problems with guys that like to party, but when you post pictures and details (including drug usage) on a public myspace account, you are a f'n idiot. I also had one ER guy write on his page very provocative and disgusting religious comments. I believe in free speech but if you are stupid enough to post that crap on myspace, your college didn't teach you s#!t. Why should we hire someone who has so much hate in their head and doesn't understand the diplomacy required in the modern business environment? How much did these idiots spend on their education?

Is that part of your company's background check procedure for new recruits? A myspace search?  nosy 
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

flyingbronco05

Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:19 am

Quoting JFKspotter (Reply 25):
ERAU has had a CRJ sim for a few years now, and we have an entire course just for that. Also over the summer we received 16 glass-cockpit (Garmin 1000) Cessna 172's.

And what do you pay per hour for the cessnas and sim, plus instructor?

I doubt it's less than $120/hr for your BRAND new Garmins...
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

jcs17

Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:09 am

If you want your whole college life to be centered around flying and planes, and don't mind paying up the butt for it, ERAU would probably be your best bet. However, if you want a well-rounded college experience, I would probably stay away from ERAU. Of course, I've never attended ERAU, but from what I've heard, the flight programs themselves are equal. That said, post-graduation surveys have shown a much higher level of dissatisfaction from ERAU graduates than UND Aerospace graduates. As for aviation/airport management degrees, a UND degree is much more respected than an ERAU degree due to the fact that at UND you are earning a B.B.A. diploma from UND's well-accredited College of Business as opposed to a B.S. diploma. Basically, if you choose to leave the aviation field, you'll have a diploma that says that you have a solid education in business. Also, nearly all of your general education courses will be taught by professors who are more experienced since UND grants degrees in something more than just aviation.

I wouldn't be able to stand going to a school strictly for aviation. The whole college experience is something special and from people that I've talked to who go to ERAU, it's more like a "tech school experience" (their words, not mine) than anything else. They've said a lot of students there consider aviation their one and only goal in life. At UND, you've got everything: a good-sized greek life, major sports teams (Sioux hockey!), tons of student organizations, and women (!). College is more than just school, its about life experiences.

UND is a bargain when compared to ERAU. Gaining North Dakota residence is a piece of cake, so you'll get to pay in-state tuition after your freshman year.

In my opinion, ERAU and UND are equal for flight programs, but for everything else, you'd have to look up north  Smile .
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

futurecaptain

Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:26 am

Quoting CBPhoto (Reply 17):
I do however know, that American Eagle has a agreement with ERAU, that if you have a 3.0 GPA, as well as a letter of recomendation from the dean of AS, the minimum required hours to apply is 500 total time and 100 multi time

Minimum to APPLY is lowered. If you think you will get that job going up against people with their CFI/CFII/MEI who have 1000+ TT and hundreds of multi you are mistaken. Applying for a job and getting a job are two different things.
Get your licenses/ratings. Build your hours to make yourself more marketable. Then go out for the airlines.

Take a look at Spartan College also, since noone has mentioned it.

BTW, I've only been to Florida once, but how easy is it to get actual instrument time there?
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

fumanchewd

Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:16 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 40):
Is that part of your company's background check procedure for new recruits? A myspace search?

You would be very suprised how many companies do just that. If someone has a big fat cannibas leaf on their page, they will not get hired.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/11/us...tner=rssnyt&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

http://www.collegerecruiter.com/webl...archives/2006/05/nbc_interview.php
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

Tom in NO

Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:36 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 42):
but for everything else, you'd have to look up north

.....or drive five miles east to the beach  wink 

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

JFKspotter

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:35 am

Quoting Flyingbronco05 (Reply 41):
And what do you pay per hour for the cessnas and sim, plus instructor?

I doubt it's less than $120/hr for your BRAND new Garmins...

You're right- it's around $140/hr, dual. Just the price of technology, I guess...

Mir

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:44 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 43):
BTW, I've only been to Florida once, but how easy is it to get actual instrument time there?

I don't know about Florida, but it's certainly not easy to get actual instrument time in North Dakota. Not that there aren't plenty of clouds, but they tend to harbor icing from late September to late April.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

panam330

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:13 am

I'm curious to know about the program at Arizona State University. Is it widely acclaimed, and will I get to fly often? Any insight to this would be nice. Thanks.

LOT767-300ER

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:27 am

As much as I knock on Florida, 100x better to be stuck here than ND. Yes, Ive been to ND many times (Hell even got photos of Fargo/Bismarck on a.net!