AerospaceFan
Topic Author

AFA Blasts CBS Airing Of 9/11 Movie For Profanity

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:09 am

The American Family Association wants you to take action to bar CBS from airing a movie on the events of September 11, 2001.

CBS is scheduled to broadcast 9/11 unedited on September 10, 2006. The AFA has condemned the picture as "profanity-laden", and, complaining that CBS was disregarding rules regulating the use of unacceptable language, urged that readers e-mail the FCC, CBS, and CBS affiliates to stop the movie from airing.

Ordinarily, I would not be opposed to the position that certain kinds of profanity should be barred from television. However, because of the importance of the events of September 11, I think that an exception should be made in this case. I believe that CBS will air the appropriate warnings to advise viewers concerning explicit language they will hear.

Please see:

http://www.afa.net/Petitions/IssueDetail.asp?id=209

[Edited 2006-09-04 22:24:29]
What's fair is fair.

RichardPrice

RE: AFA Blasts CBS Airing Of 9/11 Movie For Profanity

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:12 am

What time of the day is the airing supposed to be happening at?

If its after 9pm, I think the AFA can go jump, if its planned for smack bang in the middle of kids programmes, then they may have a point.

Mir

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:15 am

I would have thought it would be the large explosions and masses of innocent deaths that would be unsuitable for family viewing. Evidently profanity is more of a problem.  Yeah sure

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

JGPH1A

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:16 am

AFA are bigotted, narrow-minded God-fascists - ignore them completely and utterly at all times.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 1):

8 p.m.

I just found the official CBS Webpage concerning this movie:

http://www.cbs.com/specials/911/
What's fair is fair.

TransWorldSTL

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:24 am

It's happening during Prime Time, so around 7/8pm I would guess..

They're making it seem like CBS is forcing everyone in America to watch this without choice... If you don't want to hear these HORRIBLE and VULGAR words, heres an idea.. Change the channel..  Yeah sure

Duff44

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:24 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 3):
AFA are bigotted, narrow-minded God-fascists - ignore them completely and utterly at all times.

AFA stands for Absolutist Fascist A**holes...

You don't represent me. Let my family make decisions for itself.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

usnseallt82

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:26 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Thread starter):
AFA Blasts CBS Airing Of 9/11 Movie For Profanity

The last time I checked, the events of Sept. 11 weren't exactly family-friendly to begin with.  irked 
Crye me a river

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:27 am

Quoting TransWorldSTL (Reply 5):
They're making it seem like CBS is forcing everyone in America to watch this without choice... If you don't want to hear these HORRIBLE and VULGAR words, heres an idea.. Change the channel..   sarcastic  

The subject matter of death and destruction, as someone else noted, is so "offensive" in itself that swear words pale in comparison, so I think that the AFA's initiative is misplaced. If anything, I would like America to be exposed to the vulgarities it will hear as a means of pointing out and remembering the vulgarity and horrors of death and injury that occurred on September 11, 2001.

No amount of swear words compare to the depravity to which Americans were subject on that horrendous day.

The events of September 11, 2001 tested Americans to the extreme. In this case, would it really be so horrific or inappropriate for viewers to be exposed to the reality of how men and women were forced to react to those events?

I think we should be reasonable in this respect.

[Edited 2006-09-04 22:32:45]
What's fair is fair.

j_hallgren

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:30 am

I just looked at the short video clip on that site:
http://www.cbs.com/specials/911/video.php
Gave me a quick chill/goosebumps by the end  Sad
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:35 am

I will also note that the movie 9/11 has aired once before, although I don't know if, during that airing, the "bad words" were bleeped out.

[Edited 2006-09-04 22:35:45]
What's fair is fair.

Mir

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:40 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 8):
would it really be so horrific or inappropriate for viewers to be exposed to the reality of how men and women were forced to react to those events?

Of course not. Do you really think that people thought better about saying "holy sh*t" when they saw a plane fly into the WTC? Or that the people on UA93 decided not to say "let's get those f*ckers" because it would be "family-unfriendly"?

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 6):
AFA stands for Absolutist Fascist A**holes...

You don't represent me. Let my family make decisions for itself.

checkmark 

-Mir

Jetsgo

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:57 am

The AFA does not represent me. Nor do they represent a majority of American views. They are a bunch of pansy ass whimps who missed out on having a real life. They are the guys who were virgins at 25. They are the girls who were President in student council. They are the whimps who were force fed Barney and friends at 13 years old by their parents. These people need to have their asses kicked around and get in touch with the real world. A little "bad" word here and there never killed anyone, let alone turn them bad. Brainwashing idiots!

Grow up AFA

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):
Of course not. Do you really think that people thought better about saying "holy sh*t" when they saw a plane fly into the WTC? Or that the people on UA93 decided not to say "let's get those f*ckers" because it would be "family-unfriendly"?

Agreed. We should not censor reality when reality is so compelling and so relevant to why we, as a nation, do what we do.

In this respect, I believe that the following paraphrase of what someone else has famously said is important to remember: If the airwaves are made suitable for children, then in some sense, it is fit only for children.

None of us here are children.

And when it comes to matters of great historical import, it would be unwise to limit our depiction of reality only to that appropriate for the ages of those who may still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, and the "fact" that when some people say things, a funny electronic tone comes out of their mouths instead of the emotional utterances of a horrifed psyche.

[Edited 2006-09-04 23:02:32]
What's fair is fair.

mdsh00

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:07 am

I bet you those AFA members' kids hear more than enough profanity at school. Bunch of hypocrites.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

AeroWesty

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:34 am

This has "how to collect more donations" written all over it.
International Homo of Mystery

cfalk

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:50 am

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 7):
The last time I checked, the events of Sept. 11 weren't exactly family-friendly to begin with.

Exactly. If they think they can turn the events of 9/11 into a family show on par with "The Wizard of Oz", they are sadly mistaken. Personally, if I were looking out of a window of an airplane, seeing buildings and realizing that I'm about to die, "Oh, gosh-darn it" is not exactly the vocabulary I would use.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

greasespot

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:57 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 14):
I bet you those AFA members' kids hear more than enough profanity at school. Bunch of hypocrites.

no  these nutbars are probably homeschooled to keep them away from being corrupted by the evils of society... wink 

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

TedTAce

RE: AFA Blasts CBS Airing Of 9/11 Movie For Profan

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:15 am

The American Family Association

Attention whores

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 12):
They are a bunch of pansy ass whimps who missed out on having a real life. They are the guys who were virgins at 25.

Most of them still are if you think about it.. even if they reproduced it was a 'sterile' mating session for reproduction pourposes only.
Technically that might count, but it would be like counting Kirkie and his first er em... yeah...

take action to bar CBS from airing

Can I sit on my hands fast enough?

I think that an exception should be made in this case.

There is hope for you  Wink

If its after 9pm, I think the AFA can go jump

There should be a broadcast channel in every single market in the US brooadcasting this film 24/7/365 TOTALLY un-edited.

The last time I checked, the events of Sept. 11 weren't exactly family-friendly to begin with. irked

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 8):
If anything, I would like America to be exposed to the vulgarities it will hear as a means of pointing out and remembering the vulgarity and horrors of death and injury that occurred on September 11, 2001.

While we might all go round and round about all the political BS before and after, the only people who saw that day as good; were scumbags.

Quoting J_Hallgren (Reply 9):
http://www.cbs.com/specials/911/video.php

This video has aired before un-edited. It should NEVER be aired un-edited. Anyone who thinks this video should be edited can join my American flag in the fire pot.
This space intentionally left blank

ilikeyyc

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:56 am

The AFA has condemned the picture as "profanity-laden", and, complaining that CBS was disregarding rules regulating the use of unacceptable language, urged that readers e-mail the FCC, CBS, and CBS affiliates to stop the movie from airing.

There are more important things in this world to worry about than a few f*%$ing swear words.

Although, in some markets, the AFA may get their wish. There are quite a few CBS affiliates who won't run this movie or are apprehensive about airing this movie because of possible fines from the FCC for the use of profanities. The article I read also said that CBS refuses to bleep out those words.
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

piercey

Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:02 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):
I would have thought it would be the large explosions and masses of innocent deaths that would be unsuitable for family viewing. Evidently profanity is more of a problem.

OMG, didn't you know, profanity is more evil then Osama!

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 6):
AFA stands for Absolutist Fascist A**holes

I was thinking Absolute F***ing A**holes, but whatever

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 12):
They are a bunch of pansy ass whimps who missed out on having a real life.

checkmark 
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

CF188A

Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:10 am

This is my personal opinion. The program should be broad casted during anytime of the day for a simple belief. We all should indeed, for the living and the dead, bear witness to that horrible day. We should see it the best as possible from the eyes of those who were there. Our lives were forever changed due to those tragic attacks, and many commonwealth countries had their share of the casualties. I of course, did not loose anyone on that tragic day, so perhaps it is easier said than done. If this is a matter of children watching it... well then that is simply their problem.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:29 am

If the AFA keeps up with its over-persnickety approach to television, I think that more and more people are going to ignore it.

It's the same thing with the "food cops". One day we learn that this food is good for you, but then the next day, some other public health promotion outfit says that it isn't. So which is it?

The AFA may soon be perceived as crying "wolf" once too often.
What's fair is fair.

Mir

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:25 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 22):
If the AFA keeps up with its over-persnickety approach to television, I think that more and more people are going to ignore it.

It's the same thing with the "food cops". One day we learn that this food is good for you, but then the next day, some other public health promotion outfit says that it isn't. So which is it?

The AFA may soon be perceived as crying "wolf" once too often.

Soon? Heck, most sane people already know them for what they really are - parents who want the government to do the job that they themselves should be doing - watching over their kids.

Oh, did I say "heck"? I meant "hell".  devil 

-Mir

BMIFlyer

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:10 pm

Maybe the fact that it is being shown the night before the 5th anniversary is the problem?

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Mir

Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:34 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 24):
Maybe the fact that it is being shown the night before the 5th anniversary is the problem?

It's not. The title of the petition is "CBS To Air Profanity-Laden Program", which makes it pretty clear that the profanity is the problem.

I'd have less objection to the AFA's demands if they were protesting the timing of the program, though I do believe that there isn't much better a time for a moving documentary about the attacks than the fifth anniversary of them.

-Mir

texan

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:03 am

It is an attempt for more censorship, which I am against. That's why we have a remote control and brains: if we don't like it we can change the station! If you don't want to watch it, change the damn channel.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

MDorBust

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:16 am

The last time I checked, the events of Sept. 11 weren't exactly family-friendly to begin with.

This is the special muppets musical version.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

JakeOrion

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:25 am

A bit off-topic, but wasn't Schindler's List aired uncensored?

From what I gathered, it recieved a positive response regardless.

Does it really matter? Today, it seems every 8 year old knows more about sex and profanity than the elderly. Hell, I was saying f*ck when I was 3 years old, much to the displeasure of my parents.  Big grin
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

ltbewr

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:37 am

It's too bad President Bush doesn't tell these AFA typed to get lost about this trivial action. To include the profanity is part of the real story that day, and that is what the people should hear. Parents should watch this with their children and explain that some of the language is not what they want them to use. The issue is that the Congress raised the fines the FCC can assess against any network or any local station for allowing profanity and worst, cannot pre-clear such programing and allow it's profanity due to that law.
I wish the AFA would spend their time and go after the real profanity of some of our 'reality' programs or the anti-family attitudes in many other programs, the original reason for their existence.

kmh1956

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:47 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 16):
Personally, if I were looking out of a window of an airplane, seeing buildings and realizing that I'm about to die, "Oh, gosh-darn it" is not exactly the vocabulary I would use.

You took the words right out of my mouth. If you're trying to create the reality of what happened that day, then CBS and the AFA must realize that sanitizing their language (so as not to offend) was probably the last thing on people's minds.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

AeroWesty

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:49 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 29):
To include the profanity is part of the real story that day, and that is what the people should hear. Parents should watch this with their children and explain that some of the language is not what they want them to use.

The seemingly unending sound of bodies coming to a rest after a fall was much more disturbing than any use of profanity when I first watched the film. Parents should watch this with their children, to answer questions that will inevitably come to mind, not to protect them from some swear words.
International Homo of Mystery

CF188A

Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:14 am

SO guys... i sit being shown or not ... and on what channel... because I want to see it .....
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

Falcon84

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:39 am

Let me ask AFA something: how many times that day do they think George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, members of Congress, those rescuing or those trapped, cursed? Why surgar coat what was a very unpleasant day?

They're such blinded, prudish turds, I'm sorry to say.
Work Right, Fly Hard

planecrazy2

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:02 am

The film was already aired on CBS March 10, 2002. What a bunch of idiots. Great film, it is out on DVD also.
United Airlines - Worldwide Service

DLKAPA

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:04 am

Dear AFA:

Shut the hell up.

Respectfully yours,
-The Real World
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same