joffie

Best Way To Deal With Spam (Outlook Express)

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:06 pm

In the recent months, my primary e-mail address is filling up with an average of 12 spam mails a day. This may not be much compared to some, however I have tried blocking these people, but obviously they use a different address each time.

Are there any decent addons for outlook express to automatically move these messages to a spam folder?
thanks

TriStar500

RE: Best Way To Deal With Spam (Outlook Express)

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:07 pm

I can recommend Spamihilator - you have to "train" it from time to time, but it will filter out 95% of the spam messages.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

jamesbuk

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:15 pm

Is anyone else getting this Stock spam now, asking you to buy stock from non existant companies?

rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

cfcuq

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:16 am

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 2):
asking you to buy stock from non existant companies?

Yes, it started about the time I was communicating privately with several a.net members regarding the LAS meet last March. I believe an a.net member has had his (or her ) address book hijacked.

ajd1992

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:17 am

I get them, atleast 10 times a day. They don't even change to "unread" i delete them so fast. Wouldn't mind, on one of them they spelt "investment" wrong...

BigOrange

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:58 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 4):
Wouldn't mind, on one of them they spelt "investment" wrong...

That's a deliberate mistake to avoid the spamkiller software. People select investment as a word to block and so the spammers spell it investmant.

My old primary email address had 471 emails in there yesterday since July 7th when I last deleted everything. I just check it online every now and again just to make sure there's nothing important in there!

solarix

Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:03 am

I use SpamAssassin (server side) and it catches about 99% of the junk. For the desktop I also recommend Spamihilator since its the easiest and most effective. Any spam that makes it to me gets reported to SpamCop using the Okopipi plugin for Thunderbird.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

N231YE

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:35 am

Check with your Internet Service Provider (ISP). My ISP already has a spam filter guard prior to getting to the mail server. If any goes through that, I have Symantec Norton Internet Security 2006, which includes anti-spam/anti-ad software.

PS...Beware of "phishing" schemes, which ask you to verify bank accounts, credit card numbers, and other sensible information.

northstardc4m

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:01 am

recommendation #1, stop using Outlook Express, besides the total lack of spam/malware filters, it has major holes for security.

Thunderbird would be my recommended replacement, but Eudora, Outlook (the full thing)... bascially anything else will work.

recommendation #2, AVOID NORTON ANYTHING! Norton may be an easy solution, but it will cut your system's performance waaaay down. And then just try to get rid of it!

As for Spam killers... Spaminilator is a good choice, or SpamCAN though it requires more fine tuning.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

par13del

Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:10 am

Poor mans solution found on www.fhcs.net/forums_posts/0000002a.htm
Set up a couple mail rules which moves all mail from persons in your address book to one folder, and those not in your address book to another folder. You can review them at your leisure then delete. I move mine to the Deleted Items folder so unless I review them right away, they get deleted automatically when I close outlook express.

KiwiTEAL

Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:57 pm

I use a remarkable product (developed in NZ!!!! of all places) called MailWasher Pro.

On downloading the program, it's intergrated with your ISP mail server, and allows you to check all your mail at the ISP source, and decide what you want to allow, delete - or "bounce" back to the sender if it is spam, before it even reaches your own computer. You can even click on the mail and view its "written" content (attachments don't show) to check if its worth having. Also, it has in built virus checking.

This way I have kept my incoming mail to exactly what I have wanted to go onto my pc. Questionable mail can be "reported" to the FireTrust/MailWasher site, and they take care of it from there.

The program cost me $35.ooUS, and I and others I've recommended it to highly endorse it. There are regular backups and news letters, and it runs very well.

Heres the link........ click on MailWasher Pro, and you can select a trial period if you want, but after 30 days or something, you will be asked if you want to sign up - but it is worth it. (I don't work for them btw!).

http://www.firetrust.com/firetrustpro.html

Last week I posted a link to a firey "redhead", and got a note from the Mod's who removed it, saying it was "advertising"????????? I hope that perhaps this link will be regarded as a "help" to the many of us out there that HATE spam, and want to find a way to stop it?

Only trying to help,

John
KiwiTEAL

RobK

Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:40 pm

I use OE6 and recently I've been receiving mammoth amounts of spam too. Previously I'd only get about a dozen per day and they could quickly be sorted using block and delete but now I'm getting a dozen per hour.

The worst ones by far are from random address @royalbankofscotland.co.uk and same at mail.ru. I figured I'd use the 'block domain' function on the blocked senders option but this doesn't appear to work and still get them coming through as normal.

The idea suggested above about only letting mail through from people in your address book is a good one if you only ever receive mail from those people. Unfortunately, I receive (wanted) mail from all over the world so it'd be useless for me.

For now I've given up with the block and delete function and just delete them instead and have done.

R