zchannel

Atention: Runners

Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:55 am

I have a question for those of you that are regular runners. Is there a rule of thumb as to how much water should be consumed on a distance covered basis? For example, I went on a 7 1/2 mile jog last night. I took a 16 oz bottle of water and finished it about 3/4 through the run. Does a run of that distance require the intake of additional fluids to maximize efficiency, or if I can successfully complete the run with the amount of water I have, am I ok?
ZChannel: Member FDIC

sean1234

RE: Atention: Runners

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:14 am

It depends on the person. I can go about 10 miles before I start to get thirsty. I don't know how this translates to optimum performance though. I imagine if you feel thirsty you are probably behind in keeping adequate fluids. I never really enjoyed running with a bottle. You might consider stashing one somewhere and just take a big gulp when you get it.

zchannel

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:44 am

Quoting Sean1234 (Reply 1):
I never really enjoyed running with a bottle. You might consider stashing one somewhere and just take a big gulp when you get it.

Dude, I can't stress how much I hate running with a bottle. I have to stuff it in a fanny pack and it is remains very uncomfortable until I can drain some of its contents. I don't even drink water on any run under 5 miles. the problem for me is that I run outdoors, and I assume I have to replenish myself, particularly when it is hot out. Stashing a water bottle wouldn't really work for me, so I have to bite the bullet and carry one around in the fanny pack. Thanks for the response...
ZChannel: Member FDIC

747srule

Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:49 pm

I find that if I drink water BEFORE and AFTER, I will be pretty well hydrated. Try using Gatorade or other sports drinks. Nothing is better when you are really thirsty after a workout.
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

baylorairbear

Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:05 pm

I run six miles a day, six days a week. I drink about 1/4 liter fifteen minutes before I run, and 1/2 liter fifteen minutes after. That's just my personal preference, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a scientific general rule of thumb. I know that I can go much farther without more water, and at the same pace.

BAB Big grin
I'm just skipping stones...

AirWillie6475

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:55 pm

I knew somebody who ran miles a day for like 20 years, he is having hip replacement surgery soon.

LOT767-300ER

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:09 pm

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 5):
I knew somebody who ran miles a day for like 20 years, he is having hip replacement surgery soon.

I once knew an American who was fat because he didnt excercise...oh wait that should have been the PLURAL form of the word AMERICAN.

AirWillie6475

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:15 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 6):

Oh yea that's accurate, try the French.