Capital146
Topic Author

Skidmarks Little Island: Short Photo Report

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:00 am

Just thought I share a few pics from a brief few hours myself and Ben (British767) spent on the Isle of Man on Tuesday. Andy (Skidmarks) very kindly arranged to take a day off work to help show us around some of the island. Unfortunately, bad weather earlier in the morning at LBA meant that our little Let-410 flight with Manx2 was 2 hours late, only giving us about 4 and a half hours to look around the island, but Andy did a sterling job and what he doesn't know about the island ain't worth knowing about!

Hope you like the pics, go to the Isle of Man and see Andy if you can, we're trying to get him on commission with the Isle of Man Tourist Board for attracting visitors, to help boost his pension fund!  Wink

First stop, the Manx Flyers Aero Club for lunch, and a great place for watching/photographing the arrivals and departures!

Andy never misses the opportunity for a snapshot!

Some of the lunchtime traffic:

After about an hour, we headed off to see a little more of the island. We were shown Jeremy Clarkson's house:

Entrance:

Mr Clarkson's humble abode (he owns all of it, not just the lighthouse!):

Then it was off to the attractive town of Castletown, which is where Andy lives:

Then a short drive to Cregneash:

Seals!

Onward to Costa Del Manx, also known as Port Erin.  Wink

And wherever you are on the island, the Manx flag is always proudly displayed:

The island's capital, Douglas, is also well worth a visit, along with the Laxey Wheel and mountain railway, but I didn't get chance on this occasion due to limited time.

Thanks again for being such a good host, Andy!  bigthumbsup 
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

BMIFlyer

RE: Skidmarks Little Island: Short Photo Report

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:04 am

Groovy Stuff Dave.

Think I might have to hop over the stream  Wink and annoy Andy one day Big grin

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

ScarletHarlot

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:10 am

What is up with that flag with three legs running on it? It's kinda creepy!
But that was when I ruled the world

JGPH1A

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:29 am

Quoting Capital146 (Thread starter):
a great place for watching/photographing the arrivals and departures!

Don't you mean arrivaL / departurE - singular ?

And how was the Let ? Did any bits fall off when you landed ? And I suppose one might ask the same question about Andy  

[Edited 2006-09-07 23:36:03]
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

9VSPO

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:31 am

Actually I was planning a trip but it looks like a right shit hole...

Big grin  rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

cfcuq

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 2):

I thought that also.
Nice photo essay, might visit there after I've been to Spuzzum, B.C., Canada.

legoguy

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:44 am

Nice! Me and a friend are planning to live in the Isle of Man next summer! Ive been there once a while ago and loved it, although I was addicted to the little speed boat lake! Also the steam engines were pretty good. Me and my friend are looking into finding jobs somewhere and the steam railay was the first place we thought of!
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

cosec59

Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:39 pm

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 4):
Actually I was planning a trip but it looks like a right shit hole...

It looks very nice to me. Rather quiet compared to the mainland
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

cornish

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:42 pm

Those are very small planes - didn't realise you still have ones with propellers flying. They must be as old as Andy Big grin

Don't recall ever seeing any of those at LHR  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

skidmarks

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:43 pm

Well, thanks for the plug, Dave! Big grin

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Next time make it longer and we'll hit the rest of the island - you know, the other castle, Ramsey (god knows why), maybe Snaefell moutnain railway and even the Prom in Douglas!

And the same goes for anyone thinking of coming over. If I can get time off I'm only too willing to show people around.

Unless you're French/South African/Canadian when I'll just demonstrate the unique items of torture we have in the Castle museum! Big grin

Incidentally, the flag is a Triskellion and represents the ability of the Island to stand on its feet whatever happens. (and thats a long folk tale condensed into a few words! Big grin)

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Kieron747

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:43 pm

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 2):

Have a look at this...

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/history/legs.htm

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

skidmarks

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:47 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 8):
Those are very small planes - didn't realise you still have ones with propellers flying. They must be as old as Andy

Don't recall ever seeing any of those at LHR

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andy Marks-ManxAirPix

We can take anything here! Big grin (As long as it's not bigger than a 757!)

Andy  old 

Kieron747

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:51 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 11):
We can take anything here

Yeah, but what's the largest plane that can land?
 Wink

Kieron747

skidmarks

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:04 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 12):
Yeah, but what's the largest plane that can land?

Probably a 747, however, taking off again, thats different! Big grin

Largest I've seen actually landing is the 757. We also have 737's, A.320's & 319's on various charters. Nimrods do frequent rollers but haven't landed as yet. I live in hope! Big grin

And I'll do the inuendo Kieron, thank you!!

Andy  old 

cornish

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:09 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 11):

Astreus. Hmmm. Never heard of them. Do they fly those funny unscheduled holiday flights  scratchchin   Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

JGPH1A

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:15 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 14):
Do they fly those funny unscheduled holiday flights

The ones where you have to sit with common people, and not be pampered, and actually be able to reach out and touch the seat in front of you ? I've heard of them, but frankly I have my doubts that such an unspeakably sordid practise could exist in this day and age. Surely there must be laws against it.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Kieron747

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:19 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 14):
Astreus. Hmmm. Never heard of them. Do they fly those funny unscheduled holiday flights

It's all part of the CIA prison scheme. That plane is really transporting criminals and terrorists for torture on the island.

Said torture consists of spending a week in Douglas, bored to sorry death, and watching the Isle of Man's own soap opera, 'Douglas Dilemmas', wherein the main character wonders whether to cross the road before or after the milk float trundles past, for fear of being run over.

Wink

Kieron747

cornish

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:25 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 15):
The ones where you have to sit with common people, and not be pampered, and actually be able to reach out and touch the seat in front of you ?

yuck   yuck   yuck 

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 15):
I've heard of them, but frankly I have my doubts that such an unspeakably sordid practise could exist in this day and age. Surely there must be laws against it

Exactly right - should be banned if you ask me. To think people might fly on these things - I mean you don't even get FF miles to add towards reaching Xirconium status or anything.

JGPH1A

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:28 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 16):
watching the Isle of Man's own soap opera, 'Douglas Dilemmas',

I hear that last last year's Christmas cliffhanger was a confrontation between beloved old-timer Andy Skidmarks and a lost German tourist over parking in the mobile library parking spot. "You can't park that 'ere, mate" was the oft-quoted tagline for the episode, rebroadcast 27 times due to popular demand in the following weeks. I believe t-shirts were printed...

skidmarks

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:32 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 16):
Said torture consists of spending a week in Douglas, bored to sorry death, and watching the Isle of Man's own soap opera, 'Douglas Dilemmas', wherein the main character wonders whether to cross the road before or after the milk float trundles past, for fear of being run over.

There are instruments of torture in the Castle Museum that would make your nuts retreat in terror!!

However, a worse torture is having to spend a night in Foxdale on your own.

Andy  old 

Kieron747

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:40 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 18):
I hear that last last year's Christmas cliffhanger was a confrontation between beloved old-timer Andy Skidmarks and a lost German tourist over parking in the mobile library parking spot. "You can't park that 'ere, mate" was the oft-quoted tagline for the episode, rebroadcast 27 times due to popular demand in the following weeks. I believe t-shirts were printed...

I saw that one, what a classic, I believe you can get the DVD for 12p at the Douglas Oxfam.

The best bit was the part when the dog with the damaged paw stepped into an unmapped puddle in Quines Hill. It was good seeing all hell break loose, with the Isle of Man Rescue Trolley (sponsored by Tesco) being pushed by the Isle's resident aviation expert - Good ol' Andy.

Shame when he stood in that cow pat though.

Kieron747

JGPH1A

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:44 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 20):
Shame when he stood in that cow pat though.

rotfl  Best episode ever ! High drama (when the trolly is blocked by that flock of sheep, I had to look away !), tempered with good old fashioned British humour. And good old Andy, he just scrapes it off his wellies, takes it home and puts it on his rhubarb. Aaaaah - talk about heart-warming !

skidmarks

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:46 pm

Bloody thread hijackers!!!!!!! Harummph!!!!!!!!  grumpy   grumpy 

Andy  old 

Kieron747

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:56 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 22):
Bloody thread hijackers

How is this hijacking? All true!  Wink

Oh I see, you're still warm about that real-life hijacking on the Island...

That time when that passenger pigeon bound for the Douglas Horse Tram Terminus was forced to land at the industrial estate because of that freak tornado caused when 'Daisy' - the island's only cow, farted at an unscheduled moment.

It's all go over there eh!?

Kieron747

cornish

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:58 pm

Actually my favourite episode was when Thora Hird came over to the island to open the summer fair. The bit when Andy got confused because he had thought it was going to be Douglas Hurd. the look on his face was just priceless.

I believe that was voted No.1 in the all time IOM comedy moments poll.

skidmarks

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:00 pm

I see we are all tremendously busy this fine Friday morning. Weekenditis struck already eh? Big grin

Andy  old 

JGPH1A

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:02 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 23):
the Douglas Horse Tram Terminus

Remember the ruckus when that opened ? All those conservationists chaining themselves to the old horsetrough before it got demolished. The criticism from Prince Charles over Norman Foster's contraversial neo-Gothic terminus building design, and the scandal after the drainpipes were painted the wrong shade of green ? The Nimby's with their "No Second Tramline" protest, fearful that the noise of clopping hooves would reduce their property prices - I tell you, the cut and thrust of local planning commitees is the stuff of Machiavelli and Donald Trump rolled into one !

Kieron747

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:05 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 24):
the look on his face was just priceless

True there have been many a comedic moment in Douglas Dilemmas.

Remember the one when Andy, "The only A.Net Member in the village" went to buy some ice cream from the seaside stall, and fell into that pit of quicksand.

The way that he had to be hauled out by the schoolgirl and then got covered in manure was freakin' hilarious! Of course the climax was later on, when he was in the pub after the ordeal, and Clarence, the local bobby, tear gassed him thinking he was spraying deodorant on him! great!

Smile

Kieron747

JGPH1A

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:10 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 25):
I see we are all tremendously busy this fine Friday morning. Weekenditis struck already eh?

I have a day off today, in grateful recognition of being overworked and underpaid. I'm still in bed !

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 27):
tear gassed him thinking he was spraying deodorant on him! great!

Well it was an easy confusion to make, after all deodorant was only introduced in the Isle of Man in 2001

cornish

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:13 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 27):
True there have been many a comedic moment in Douglas Dilemmas.

But also some moments of pure drama - and dare I say it almost tearjerking.

Who can forget that episode where the Texan billionaire wanted to buy the giant Laxey Waterwheel and ship it back to San Antonio. Remeber how Skiddy made that rousing speech comparing the loss of the Island's finest landmark to losing a wheel of his wheelchair. When the camera panned close up to his left wheel as the rain poured off it while he made his plea, it truly was a great bit of film editing I think you'll agree - and really rather moving.

Kieron747

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:17 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 29):
When the camera panned close up to his left wheel as the rain poured off it while he made his plea, it truly was a great bit of film editing I think you'll agree - and really rather moving

True, very true. The question is though, how did they get that tabby cat to maintain that sorrowful pose throughout his speech?

The magic of the moment was destroyed though, as on the DVD the 'Making of Douglas Dilemms' it shows the fact that the crowd was CGI animated, and the rain was actually falling from a watering can held aloft by a lampost.

The cat was stuffed by the way.  Sad

Kieron747

JGPH1A

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:18 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 29):
When the camera panned close up to his left wheel as the rain poured off it while he made his plea, it truly was a great bit of film editing I think you'll agree - and really rather moving.

It has been favourably compared to the work of Federico Fellini, I believe. A truly moving televisual moment. I believe a letter-writing campaign to the Douglas Monthly Periodical and Poultry Breeder's Gazette succeeded in having Andy's wheelchair granted a Heritage listing, alongside the Area of Special Scientific Interest designation already granted to Andy's socks for their unequalled bio-variety.

cornish

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:28 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 31):
I believe a letter-writing campaign to the Douglas Monthly Periodical and Poultry Breeder's Gazette succeeded in having Andy's wheelchair granted a Heritage listing, alongside the Area of Special Scientific Interest designation already granted to Andy's socks for their unequalled bio-variety.

I understand they are the third and fifth most visited attractions on the whole island now - fourth place being the model boat collection made out of rubbish washed up on the beach at Port Erin. The model of the Cutty Sark made out of an old plastic bottle and a broken frisbee being the star attraction.

skidmarks

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:30 pm

Right, you three horrible people are banned from the (Isle Of)Man Mega Meet I am planning to hold next year. Unless, of course, I recieve suitable remuneration and reparation from all of you with much overblown obsequiousness!

Andy  old 

JGPH1A

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:38 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 33):
Right, you three horrible people are banned from the (Isle Of)Man Mega Meet I am planning to hold next year. Unless, of course, I recieve suitable remuneration and reparation from all of you with much overblown obsequiousness!

Oh no. How will I live with this terrible deprivation ? Not being allowed to visit the Isle of Man ? Can I bear the grief ?  cry  cry 

Um. Yes, actually  tongue  - obsequiousness DENIED !  biggrin  rotfl 

cornish

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:44 pm

Damn .That means we'll have to attend the St.Lucia Mega Meet being held on the same weekend instead Big grin

skidmarks

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:49 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 35):
Damn .That means we'll have to attend the St.Lucia Mega Meet being held on the same weekend instead

You won't like it, with all that sun spoiling your pasty-faced anaemic look! Whereas the IOM,with it's wind, rain and general air of decay and decreptitude would far more suit you and old wossname, JGBig grin

But you're banned so there!  tongue 

Andy  old 

Thom@s

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:57 pm

I always thought Skiddmarks' little island looked something like this:

I bet that car comes in handy for the trip between the house and the boat...

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Kieron747

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:58 pm

you three horrible people are banned from the (Isle Of)Man Mega Meet

Banned eh? So that puts the total number of attendees at 1 then, including the organiser.

Oh I forgot, the IOM lingo for 'mega' differs to that of standard English.

The IOM megastructure refers to the collection of twigs built by an otter when it was bored.

The IOM megaburger consists of 3 ounces of prime squirrelmeat in a toasted bun of... toast.

The IOM megecelebrity is Clarkson... Nuff said.

The IOM megalomaniac is Keith who lives in Cronk-y-Voddy whose delusional fantasies of wealth, power, and omnipotence are manifested in the fact that he owns a cheque book, doesn't use a diesel generator and can see a good 5 miles horizon from the window of his shack.

Wink

Kieron747

cornish

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:59 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 36):
Whereas the IOM,with it's wind, rain and general air of decay and decreptitude would far more suit you and old wossname, JG.

But you're banned so there!

Not a problem. I can go to Cornwall and get the same - only slightly warmer and a bit less dark Big grin

Kieron747

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:54 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 39):
I can go to Cornwall and get the same - only slightly warmer and a bit less dark

Hardly a glowing reference to Cornish beer!  Wink

Quoting Cornish (Reply 35):
St.Lucia

Mmmm St,Lucia - Isle of Man, St,Lucia - Isle of Man, St,Lucia - Isle of Man, St,Lucia - Isle of Man, St,Lucia - Isle of Man, St,Lucia - Isle of Man, Let me think, this is a tough choice!

I recieve suitable remuneration and reparation from all of you

OK, I submit, we've been horrible. What currency would you like the reparation in? Don't you lot use pebbles for money? Or do we have to give you a goat? A chicken? or a skinned hare?  Wink

Kieron747

cornish

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:40 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 38):
The IOM megaburger consists of 3 ounces of prime squirrelmeat in a toasted bun of... toast.

JGP couldn't even raise a burp from that pitful effort  Wink

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 38):
The IOM megalomaniac is Keith who lives in Cronk-y-Voddy whose delusional fantasies of wealth, power, and omnipotence are manifested in the fact that he owns a cheque book,

And so proud of it he's vowed never to use it but keep it at home above the mantlepiece where every visitor can see it.

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 40):
OK, I submit, we've been horrible. What currency would you like the reparation in? Don't you lot use pebbles for money? Or do we have to give you a goat? A chicken? or a skinned hare?

I believe the local currency is cats tails......

skidmarks

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:41 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 41):
I believe the local currency is cats tails......

Ask Ben, he went to the cashpoint in Castletown and came back looking shocked at the weird looking tenners in his sweaty mit! Big grin

Andy  old 

cornish

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:43 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 42):
he went to the cashpoint in Castletown and came back looking shocked at the weird looking tenners in his sweaty mit!

Not as shocked as you were I'll bet Big grin

Kieron747

Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:06 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 42):
cashpoint

Cashpoint being the key word. I believe the 'Cash Point' in Douglas is actually a 'Cash Point' i.e a cardboard hand pointing at England, where cash can be found.

Imagine the confusion in the local pub when an outsider orders a pint of foaming Manbeer...

Stranger: "I'll have a pint of your local beer please."

Barman: "This is a local pub for local people, however you interest me young fellow. Tell me, is it true, that in the main isle you allow your women to wear clothes?"

Stranger: "Why yes of course, now what about that beer?"

Barman: "And you travel in metal chariots that don't eat oats?"

Stranger: "Yes yes, I'm thirsty!"

Barman: "And that it is unheard of for people to drink their own urine?"

Stranger: "Erm... Yes, now how much is that pint?"

Barman: "Bloody weird foreigners, no class!.. that will be '3 and 6' please."

Stranger: "3 and 6 what? I don't do imperial."

Barman: "3 cat tails and 6 leafs of course!"

Stranger: "I'm just nipping to the cashpoint..."

Wink

Kieron747

Capital146
Topic Author

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:12 am

If only I'd known this thread would be hijacked to such an extent I would never have....................................waited so long to post it!  Wink

Andy, I did this thread with the best of intentions, but with the likes of JGPH1A, Cornish and Keiron747 seemingly on top form today, I was utterly naive to say the least!  Big grin

Cadet57

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:26 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 37):
I always thought Skiddmarks' little island looked something like this

That must be a HELL of a commute!  Wink
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

skidmarks

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting Capital146 (Reply 45):
Andy, I did this thread with the best of intentions, but with the likes of JGPH1A, Cornish and Keiron747 seemingly on top form today, I was utterly naive to say the least!

Dave, who can tell what peurile, infantile responses you are going to get from the likes of the "hijack trio". We can but carry on regardless and hope against all hope they die a painful and horrible death, leaving us all their money in their will! Big grin

Andy  old 

JGPH1A

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:52 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 47):
Dave, who can tell what peurile, infantile responses you are going to get from the likes of the "hijack trio".

Oo-OO-oooh ! Harumph !!  grumpy 

We can but carry on regardless and hope against all hope they die a painful and horrible death, leaving us all their money in their will!

Dream on ! You don't even make the Birthday Cake list, you've got no chance of making it into my lavish and extravagant Last Will and Testament. I intend to leave everything to myself, as I am by far the most deserving person I know.

Capital146
Topic Author

Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:03 am

We can but carry on regardless and hope against all hope they die a painful and horrible death, leaving us all their money in their will!

Agree! Money, plus horrible death seems the logical combination  

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 48):
You don't even make the Birthday Cake list

Oh, that old line again! We all know you haven't celebrated a birthday for over 15 years, ever since turning 45.   And we know it's just because you want to eat ALL the cake yourself! 

[Edited 2006-09-08 21:04:13]