STT757
Topic Author

World Trade Center Design Complete

Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:53 am

After several previous designs were discarded the final Design for the World Trade Center is complete. Here's the specifics.

Four towers all over 1,000ft, there's no place else in the world where four towers over 1,000 ft are being built at the same time and in the same complex. There are no identical "Twin Towers", there are fraternal twins. There are two buildings that are taller than the Former Twin Towers of the World Trade Center , however they are not identical thus "fraternal".

World Trade Center Tower 1 (Freedom Tower), surpasses the height of the original Twin Towers. The completion date is 2011.

World Trade Center Tower 2 (200 Greenwich Street) will also be taller than the former Twin Towers (but not as tall as WTC 1) has been designed by Sir Norman Foster who's other projects include Hong Kong's International Airport terminal, Stansted Airport Terminal, Bilbao Spain Metro, London Millennium Footbridge and The Reichstag building in Berlin. Complettion 2012.

World Trade Center Tower 3 (175 Greenwich Street) has been designed by Lord Richard Rogers who's work includes Terminal 5 Heathrow Airport and Madrid's Barajas Airport. WTC 3 will be 1,155 ft tall, for comparison the former World Trade Center Twin Towers were 1,300ft tall. Completion 2011.

World Trade Center Tower 4 (150 Greenwich Street) has been designed by Fumihiko Maki, completion date 2011.

World Trade Center Transit Hub, designed by Santiago Calatrava who's work includes HSB Turning Torso Sweeden, 2004 Athens Olympic Complex, Milwaukee Art Museum, Gare do Oriente Lisbon Portugal, Ciutat de les Arts i les Ciències and the Lyon Airport TGV station. The World Trade Center Transit hub serves the PATH commuter rail system, the PATH (Port Authority Trans Hudson Rail Road) is owned by the Port Authority of NY and NJ who also owns the World Trade Center, EWR, JFK, LGA and TEB airports as well as the 6 crossings between NYC and NJ and Port Newark the 3rd busiest port in the Country. The Transit Hub includes the PATH station which will handle 200,000 daily riders, and an under ground concourse which will connect with the World Financial Center across the Street from the World Trade Center, the Battery Park Ferry Terminal (currently under construction), the various World Trade Center buildings and the Fulton Street Transit Hub being built by the MTA. The completion date for the Calatrava transit hub is 2009.

World Trade Center 7 was the last building to collapse on September 11th 2001, it's the first building to be rebuilt and was completed over the Summer. As of now it's 2/3 leased. World Trade Center 5 and 6 will be built across the Street from the World Trade Center but be connected via the under ground Transit Complex. Those designs have not been completed.

The September 11 memorial as well as a performing arts center designed by Frank Gehry who's work includes the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao Spain, Walt Disney Concert Hall Los Angeles and the Experience Music Project (EMP) in Seattle are also being developed.

Here's the renderings released today, construction has already started on World Trade Center 1 (Freedom Tower), the Calatrava Transit Hub, and the September 11th memorial, construction on WTC 3 and 4 will begin soon. World Trade Center 2 will be started a little later as their needs to be more repairs made to the slurry wall holding back the Hudson River in the location where the Tower will rise.

World Trade Center Tower 1 (Freedom Tower)

World Trade Center Tower 2

World Trade Center Tower 3

World Trade Center Tower 4

World Trade Center Transit Hub (PATH Station)

http://www.pathrestoration.com/drp/images/gallery/wtcth/2005/08/TermStLevelNight.jpg

Here's renderings from today showing everything together:

View From New Jersey:

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/66458468/original.jpg

Site map http://www.wtc.com/download.aspx?id=199-w

Large view from New Jersey, note the PATH hub between Towers 2 and 3.

http://wtc.com/download.aspx?id=197-w
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

STT757
Topic Author

RE: World Trade Center Design Complete

Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:55 am

For more details and renderings check out the developer's website:
http://www.wtc.com

mdsh00

Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:33 pm

It looks nice. Though nothing like that original design that was unveiled before.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Mir

Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:46 pm

I hope I eat my words on this, but it looks like "too many cooks" just found a new definition. Each building on its own is very nice - I question how well they will go together.

Two freedom towers and two of those WTC4 buildings - that would look good.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

DfwRevolution

Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:22 pm

Each of the towers do look nice individually.

I still think a twin-tower layout is most appropriate, ideally based upon the new Tower 1 design. The Freedom Tower (IMO at least) blends a good deal of the original WTC design with some modern influences. It's the next best thing to rebuilding the original towers (with new safety features, of course) near the original site.

Newark777

Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:24 pm

At this point, I'm just sick of taking the PATH into the city and coming out the other end in a hole. It's about time to get the site back up and running.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

TedTAce

Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:46 pm

I have to say the Jersey view does make it seem like the city and the towers leading to the Freedom tower are sloping in an appropriate maner. This makes it seem like the buildings are more a part of the surroundings, as opposed to where the twins just dominated the south end sky line. I have an appreciation for what is done, it's seems a bit more forward thinking.

BUT

While it's more blended, and in some ways 'nicer'; NOTHING is as suitable a replacement as the original towers (slightly updated) to me. Sure they kind of rose up and said 'eff you we are here' it's the kind of statment I think best answers the question of our true resolve.
This space intentionally left blank

NWA742

Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:36 pm

Although it looks great, and will look even better in real life, I still regret that I never saw the WTC New York skyline in real life. Things will never be the same.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

EA CO AS

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:18 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 6):
NOTHING is as suitable a replacement as the original towers (slightly updated) to me.

I'm in agreement. The new design is nice, but I'd love to see a return of the original Yamasaki design, with the memorial still based on the original footprints:

http://www.triroc.com/wtc/

http://www.triroc.com/wtc/pix/memorials4.jpeg

[Edited 2006-09-08 12:21:08]
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DAL767400ER

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:36 pm

Would have loved to see the original towers return as well, though I gotta say that I like this 4-tower design, especially Tower 2. Tower 3 to me for some reason looks very Sears Tower'esque.

oneworldman

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:02 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 5):
At this point, I'm just sick of taking the PATH into the city and coming out the other end in a hole. It's about time to get the site back up and running.

You and me both. Not to mention all the tourist that stand on the stairs of the bridge that i use to cross West street (Just so that they can get the perfect shot). I nknow I need to be courteous, but sometimes I just want to yell(GET THE F*CK OUT OF MY WAY)
Querer es poder.

dl021

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:57 pm

There will always be differing opinions about the new towers, but I'm ready to see something built and these buildings are beautiful, whether or not they're aesthetically correct for that proximity.

It's time to get that area back to work with normal everyday New York, New York, USA business.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

sulman

Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:09 pm

I like the new designs, I look forward to seeing them.

As to rebuilding the towers to the original plans, why do it? I notice that the scale model for this idea shows some interesting features - the famous 22" steel - 22" Glass pattern has been replaced with much larger, squarer windows. It would look odd - the Yamasaki design had a highly unusual appearance (almost like a solid steel edifice) thanks to the narrow windows.

I think seeing the skeletal outline of the original lobby would be very eerie.

Cheers

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

RichardPrice

Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:23 pm

Quoting Sulman (Reply 12):
As to rebuilding the towers to the original plans, why do it?

Defiance.

comorin

Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:43 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 11):
It's time to get that area back to work with normal everyday New York, New York, USA business.

thumbsup 

Exactly! The victims were ordinary people just going about their work, and we need to restore that feeling back to Downtown.

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 5):

thumbsup 

The site is really busy now now that the strike's over. That PATH Loop around the site was the eeriest experience, don't you think?

BTW, did you notice the 'moving' Johnny Walker ad that you see projected as you approach Exchange Place? How do they do that ???

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
Two freedom towers and two of those WTC4 buildings - that would look good.

thumbsup 

Agreed! The WTC4 is the most elegant design of the lot. The original WTC had a timeless simplicity to it, and I am afraid that the new overwrought designs of T1-T3 will not stand the test of timelessness.

I used to work on the 86th floor of WTC1, and it was a great building with a life of its own. I did have a problem with the narrow 22" windows but that was a minor peeve.

As for the new layout - too many cooks...

TNNH

Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:24 am

lets get this shit built. im sure they;ll be beautiful, but i also deeply miss the old Yamasaki design, so imposing.

Newark777

Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:56 am

Quoting Oneworldman (Reply 10):
You and me both. Not to mention all the tourist that stand on the stairs of the bridge that i use to cross West street (Just so that they can get the perfect shot). I nknow I need to be courteous, but sometimes I just want to yell(GET THE F*CK OUT OF MY WAY)

I remember a few weeks ago, I was meeting someone at the WTC station before we took the 4 up to Yankee Stadium, and watching half the people just standing there looking at the site, and the other half normal NYers going about their normal business, was just a surreal sight.

Quoting Comorin (Reply 14):

The site is really busy now now that the strike's over. That PATH Loop around the site was the eeriest experience, don't you think?

It really is. I remember right after they reopened the PATH, I took it in, and I remember thinking as we entered the pit, that it was just the eeriest feeling. My father still does it every day, as he did before the attacks, and says you just get used to it.

BTW, did you notice the 'moving' Johnny Walker ad that you see projected as you approach Exchange Place? How do they do that ???

I didn't, I'll have to look for the next time I go in.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

gregtx

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 6):
NOTHING is as suitable a replacement as the original towers

They were two of the most unimaginative building every constructed---receiving very few positive architectural review. There were landmark architecture soley because there were two of them.

I'd much rather see something spectacular in it's place.....but apparently that's not going to happen either! The renderings here seem designed primarily to 'fill' the skyline.

What happened to the beautiful renditions with the huge spires?

SlamClick

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:08 am

Quoting Gregtx (Reply 17):
They were two of the most unimaginative building every constructed

Don't think I agree with that. It takes some courage to go really simple in a design, which they did. The merging columns down near the base kept it from being too plain. Count me as one who liked them on the lower Manhattan skyline and misses them.

I never liked the idea of spires - too Baptist. These are office buildings. The place doesn't need much in the way of formal commemoration. Lincoln had it right about Gettysburg!

I don't mean to be flippant or disrespectful but I hope they put the Phalanx system on these.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

gregtx

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:20 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 18):
Don't think I agree with that. It takes some courage to go really simple in a design, which they did.

Unfortunately, it wasn't courage---it was cost that dictated that plain design (the modular construction saved millions--although making a weak structure). It was, at that point, the single largest private building venture undertaken and was almost halted for lack of funding at one point.

Of course, as they became ingrained in our culture, they stopped being just structures---and more monumental in nature.

You have a good point with the spires...I wasn't thinking of any particular religious aspect--but that would do it....

sulman

Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:17 am

Quoting Gregtx (Reply 19):
Unfortunately, it wasn't courage---it was cost that dictated that plain design (the modular construction saved millions--although making a weak structure). It was, at that point, the single largest private building venture undertaken and was almost halted for lack of funding at one point.

I don't think it was weak; it was an extremely innovative approach to building high, and to maximise the Port Authority's floorspace requirements.

The towers themselves were incredibly strong, and structurally performed exactly as intended; it was after all an extraordinarily malicious event, that nobody could have foreseen, that destroyed them.
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

Superfly

Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:34 am

Looks like junk!
The Trump idea was best.
Bring back the Concorde

gregtx

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting Sulman (Reply 20):
I don't think it was weak; it was an extremely innovative approach to building high, and to maximise the Port Authority's floorspace requirements

Nevertheless, it was cost that dictated the ultimate design...not creativity or beauty. Whether you like the look or not....it's subjective. It received, at best, lukewarm reviews at the building design debut in the mid/late sixties (check Architectural Record, New York Times, or the such...). Clearly, the novelty was in the 'twin' towers...not the aesthetics of the buildings. Each, by itself, is unremarkable. But since it was never meant to be without it's twin, that point is moot.

Quoting Sulman (Reply 20):
The towers themselves were incredibly strong

It was adequate but certainly not ''incredibly" so. The construction method itself (using a portion of the building curtain as major part of the structural fortification) was rejected by most engineers shortly after both towers were completed. At least in building half it's height.

I agree that the terrorist event was not a good indicator of building integrity--no argument there.

I'll correct a small error earlier, I meant to say the largest public/private venture at the time (not just private).

Nevertheless, the new plan is not very extraordinary for a location that all of America would like to be see become not only an address, but a landmark.

STT757
Topic Author

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:04 am

Trump does not develop office buildings, typical Trump was just using that whole rebuild these towers at the World Trade Center as a gimic to draw attention to his dying tv Show.

There's been no peep out of him since, his intentions were 100% self indulgent.

ThereandBack

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:54 am

Quoting STT757 (Thread starter):
World Trade Center Tower 1 (Freedom Tower)

I like all the other towers except freedom tower it looks like a fatter version of the Shanghai World Financial Center.

photopilot

Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:59 am

You know, the sad truth is that if the City of New York and the US Gov't had quietly gone about just rebuilding the WTC complex, with dignity and grace they would have been far less of a repeat target then they now will become.

But the overblown rhetoric and hyperbole and calling it the "Freedom Tower" a yada, a yada, a yada.... well it's just all been too much for many people. That ONLY America and Americans were hurt that fatefull day. Well news for you guys. There were many other nationalities killed in the WTC on 9/11.

The end result of all this, and the "War on Terror" and Iraq and everything else that has gone on in the last 5 years has done nothing but isolate Americans from what many people in the rest of the world now feel towards the USA. Honestly, you guys have made the world LESS SAFE than it was. And the new WTC will therefore become even MORE of a target. Just so some terrorist somewhere (worldwide or homegrown) can say.... "Ah ha!!! See.... we CAN knock it down again despite your best efforts to stop us."

So I sure as heck wouldn't want to be the insurance underwriters on these new buildings, nor would I ever want to be a tenant occupying office space in them. For sadly, IMHO, it's only a matter of time till they come down again.

comorin

Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:01 pm

I'll cast my vote on the WTC as being two of the most beautiful buildings in the world. It was iconic of the strength and energy of New York - a modern day beacon. Carl Sandburg and Walt Whitman would have approved.

The buildings had a special ambiance when you entered them. It was exciting and fun working in it, especially when the wind blew ! Being such tall buildings, you also felt some primeval sense of reaching for the heavens when you took those express elevators to the top (Stairway to Heaven?).

And, oh, the view! Many an evening had I spent at Windows on the World, that most elegant aerie in the sky, watching sunsets on the Hudson and city lights come on, with cocktail in hand.

Later, I lived in Battery Park City, in the shadow of the Towers. You always felt protected by their totem-like presence. The stainless steel columns would change color as the sun shifted. These were striking buildings, rich with marble and stainless steel trim inside, unlike any other office building in New York.

These were also buildings far beyond the reach of a Cesar Pelli or Philip Johnson (liked by architectural critics, who would have NY become another Houston). I think only a Yamasaki or Pei could do real justice to a rebuilding of the towers - truly a 'monumental' task!

After 9/11, I've seen the appropriation of that event by many to advance their own agenda. These were ordinary New Yorkers who were going to work that morning, and we need to respect their private grief. The sooner the buildings are completed, good or bad, the better for all of us. I for one, would rather take the $1B to be spent on a memorial and feed the hungry with it.

Sorry for the rant - the Towers were part of my NYC neighborhood and I'd like to see something there that really soars.

Aloha717200

Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:37 pm

The original WTC was spectacular because of how large and imposing it was, thats what made it famous, its dominance...and also what made it a target.

these are less dominating, but yes sadly, will be targets. i wouldnt be surprised to see someone attempt to blow it up even during construction. they will always try. this is the new world. we gotta carry on regardless, no matter the risk, if we cower in our shelters and never make a stand at all, they have won.

the true winners are those who get back up again.

this is the best design ive seen so far except for trump's design, i would have rather seen a copy of the originals (but taller!) come back....but, this is nice too.

cfalk

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:05 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 18):
I don't mean to be flippant or disrespectful but I hope they put the Phalanx system on these

Actually, that might not be such a bad idea.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

BO__einG

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:14 pm

^^

I think a CIWS would be a GREAT idea! One on each tower, but if say one were to be built on the Freedom Tower to cover the entire complex, it could do the job as it does have a minima radius around 1/2-1 mile. But then there are all those reprocussions and disputes like if it hit a plane knocking out the terror pilots, it may still crash into it anyway. A nice sense of security but in reality it might not help that much. A Patriot Missle Defense on the other hand...

To the designs, I think the other towers should have their own names with the WTC designation in brackets. We so far have Freedom Tower which is WTC 1.
Maybe something like "Liberty, Perseverance, and Salvation Tower" for instance.
I am dissapointed that Cesar Peli was not involved with this. His architecture is also very impressive.

With the issue of being a target again. These buildings will be built with the most current technologies, practices, methods and under the most stringent of Fire, Building Code and Port Authority Bylaw rules. They will look sleek and sexy on the outside but this time they will be built tough like a fortress on the inside. The Structural forms will be as strong as a bunker. Add large 8 feet Steel Corner Columns filled with Rebar+Concrete (High strength 60Mpa) and you have one tough conponent which will withstand the largest of airplanes.
Aluminum against Ultra Reinforced Concrete/Steel. Its obvious as to which will survive.

Technically if the floors were to give away, if the core and key elements are properly built, they can remain standing meaning the stairwells would be saved. The core will always be the strongest part of any super tall buildings, followed by key structural columns usually located on the corners, and then the floors. Concrete also does a better job of withstanding intense heat, fireproof it if applicable and its even better.

Overall, I think you guys in New York are lucky to have such amazing projects. Sure the design part isn't super dramatic or organic except the Transit hub, but still none the less it looks proper for the city and the design is very handsome and promotes success, strength and perseverance.
Way to go! I also liked how the firms are working in WTC7 overlooking the site as they all design their buildings. Awesome interaction with the site to work out design issues. Finally, a complex of 4 Supertalls all over 1000 feet?! My city doesn't have a single 1000 footer let alone a 700 footer..
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

ACDC8

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:13 pm

As nice as the buildings are on their own, some how the skyline photo just doesn't seem right. They look out of place, almost like a scene out of an older Sci-Fi movie or something.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Rj111

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:59 pm

Although it looks very nice. I thought the original design was unbeatable. Some of these buildings are too pretty, they have no diginity. The original design had the look of authority and power, yet maintained it's attractiveness.

Though I worry building new towers will give a massive incentive for terrorists to attempt to repeat the events.

Aloha717200

Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 31):
The original design had the look of authority and power, yet maintained it's attractiveness.

I agree.

777236ER

Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:36 am

The original design had the look of authority and power, yet maintained it's attractiveness.

Are you joking? They were disgustingly ugly!
Your bone's got a little machine

CPDC10-30

Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:46 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 8):
I'm in agreement. The new design is nice, but I'd love to see a return of the original Yamasaki design, with the memorial still based on the original footprints:

Absolutley. I wish they would have rebuilt the exterior of the new towers the same as the original ones, but with changes to the internal structures and strengthened fascia. That would be the ultimate fu*k you to the terrorists.

The new buildings are nice, but they don't look very distinctive to me. They could easily be in Shanghai, Hong Kong or Dubai.

jetmatt777
Crew

Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:16 am

I agree. I liked the old towers. The new ones don't show any power or authority to me. None of the new buildings look good to me, the old one look so much better than these one IMO.

-Matt  Smile
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Aither

Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:54 am

Hope this time they'll be build with concrete...
Never trust the obvious

planesarecool

Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:55 am

Will these buildings allow smoother evacuations, in the case that the events of 9/11 were to be repeated? I think I'm right in saying that in the original WTC there was no full stairway, but different stairways dotted around the building, meaning that one went from one floor to another about 10 floors down, where the stairway ended, and you had to walk through the building on that certain floor to another staircase. This meant many couldn't escape as the route through the building from stairway to stairway was blocked/on fire etc.

I would have thought many more people would have been able to get out quicker had there been one or two stairways going all the way down the building from top floor to ground floor. It's always recommended not to use elevators in the event of fire, so I would have thought that a quick alternative should always be in place.

Quoting STT757 (Thread starter):
London Millennium Footbridge

Let's just hope it doesn't sway as much as the Millennium Bridge did after it was opened.  Wink

I would say they do look very modern - almost like something you'd find in Dubai or Shanghai. While they may not have the 'dominance' of the old towers, I'm sure they'll serve their purpose very well.

STT757
Topic Author

Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:32 pm

The tallest building in NYC right now is the Empire State Building, after these buildings are built it will be the third or Fourth tallest building in NYC.

The design of these buildings is all about attracting tenants, unfortunately there are no tenants who want the Twin Towers rebuilt. The future tenants of the World Trade Center want modern conveinence, security, design and most important large trading floors.

The main tenant for WTC 2 (the Foster designed building) is rumored to be Morgan Stanley, I forget the main tenant for Tower 3. Both WTC 2 and 3 are designed specifically for large trading floors.

World Trade Center Four will be the new Headquarters for the Port Authority of NY and NJ, their old Headquarters was WTC 1 which was destroyed on 9-11 killing 84 Port Authority employees including their Executive Director.

The new towers are in more harmony with the other buildings of lower Manhattan than the former Twin Towers, looking at this model you can see what I mean. Also keep in mind how small the other towers of Lower Manhattan look surrounding the new WTC towers, most of those little towers surrounding the World Trade Center Towers are not little. Some of them are more than 60 stories.

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/66571956/original.jpg

sudden

Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:13 pm

I used to work on the 86th floor of WTC1, and it was a great building with a life of its own. I did have a problem with the narrow 22" windows but that was a minor peeve.

Makes me wonder how many people will actually want to work their again!?

Maybe it is just me but I think this place should be left as it is. Just leave the memorial site. Nothing will replace the old buildings, and the victims who were in them.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

STT757
Topic Author

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:19 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 39):
Maybe it is just me but I think this place should be left as it is. Just leave the memorial site. Nothing will replace the old buildings, and the victims who were in them.

That's what former Mayor Rudolph Giulianni wanted, just a memorial and park.

Superfly

Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:40 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 23):
his intentions were 100% self indulgent.

...and 100% better looking than the junk that's going up in it's place.
Bring back the Concorde

STT757
Topic Author

Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:46 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 41):

It was hallow, he never intended anything to happen. He never proposed moving any of his employees there or to fund it. He just rode the publicity for his cheesy show.

Superfly

Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:03 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 42):
It was hallow, he never intended anything to happen. He never proposed moving any of his employees there or to fund it. He just rode the publicity for his cheesy show.

Bring back the Concorde

AirPacific747

Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:09 am

It does look very nice but I too would prefer an updated version of the original twin towers

Superfly

Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:16 am

Although it looks very nice. I thought the original design was unbeatable.

Agreed!  yes 

Though I worry building new towers will give a massive incentive for terrorists to attempt to repeat the events.

They wont. The terrorist have won. They have permanently changed the Manhattan Skyline and a cheesy tower with fake height is going up in it's place.
Bring back the Concorde

EA CO AS

Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:55 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 45):
They have permanently changed the Manhattan Skyline and a cheesy tower with fake height is going up in it's place.

I especially agree with the "fake height" comment - why get the height out of a spire? I want to see occupied floors that high, dammit!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

STT757
Topic Author

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:23 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 46):
I especially agree with the "fake height" comment - why get the height out of a spire? I want to see occupied floors that high, dammit!

The floor height of the new 1 WTC will be higher than the 1,300 ft of the former Twin Towers, if your measuring the spire it goes to 1,776ft.

There's nothing fake about the height, the new Freedom Tower (1 WTC) is taller than the former World Trade Center, that's without including the spire. The observation deck, restaraunts etc. will be higher than the previous Twin Towers. From the Ground to the top floor of the building is 1,368ft (taller than the Twin Towers) to the top of the Spire is 1,776ft.

They are building four adjacent buildings each over 1,000ft tall, there's no where else in the World where four 1,000 are being built at the same time.

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/66458468/original.jpg

Superfly

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:28 am

I don't like it!
I just don't like it!   

[Edited 2006-09-12 03:29:58]
Bring back the Concorde

STT757
Topic Author

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:49 am

Seven World Trade Center was the last building to collapse on September 11th 2001, it's the first building to be rebuilt. It was completed in May and is almost completly occupied, the latest tenant to Seven World Trade Center is Moodys Financial Firm who will lease 600,000 square ft.

Quote:
New York Post Online Edition

7 WORLD TRADE BAGS BIG TENANT

By STEVE CUOZZO

September 11, 2006 -- Developer Larry Silverstein has officially landed his first big tenant for new 7 World Trade Center - Moody's Financial Services, which signed a lease for 600,000 square feet late Friday night, sources told The Post.

The largest new lease downtown since the terrorist attack means the gleaming new tower overlooking Ground Zero has now rented out about half its space only four months after it opened. Silverstein was widely criticized for putting up the tower without pre-signed tenants by those who feared it would stand empty and glut the downtown real-estate market.

Several earlier leases, including one to the law firm Darby & Darby, amounted to 200,000 square feet. But the much bigger Moody's lease was the one Silverstein needed to prove 7 WTC's appeal to big-space users.

Silverstein also fended off attacks by Mayor Bloomberg, who accused him of charging too high a rent. Silverstein was asking $50 a square foot at 7 WTC, but Bloomberg said he should lower it to $35, the rate for older buildings downtown.

Seven World Trade Center