caribb

Madrid - Info Needed

Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:30 pm

I'm going to be heading to Madrid Oct 6-10th for a quick 4 night visit. Any suggestions what to see? Also any suggestions for a hotel in the downtown area (small "European" 4 star type)?

Vulindlela

RE: Madrid - Info Needed

Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:20 am

You should go see the Prado. I would say go see Real Madrid in the Bernabeau, but they play on Oct. 1st, and then not for a few weeks after. The Royal Palace is nice also. As for hotels, I only stayed in some cheap dump when I was there. You should have no problem finding a place, as Madrid is a lot cheaper than most big western european cities.
"If you take everything I've accomplished in my entire life and condense it down into 1 day, it looks decent!"

caribb

Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:04 pm

Vulindlela - Thanks very much! I'll take your advice on what to see... a shame I will only arriving after Real Madrid plays.. oh well.

Bofredrik

Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:25 pm

1. Do not take a taxi from the airport to city. They will rip you off!

2. http://www.hotelsuecia.com/

4 star. Very nice and perfect location.

Have a nice trip!

Schoenorama

Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:44 pm

Quoting Vulindlela (Reply 1):
Madrid is a lot cheaper than most big western european cities

Not entirely true, I am afraid. Madrid also can be quite expensive hotel-room wise, specially when there is high demand (ie, during congresses, etc.).

If you want to be in the city-centre, then I'd recommend looking for a hotel on the Gran Via area which is a largely comercial-district with Madrid's major attractions (Puerta del Sol, Plaza Major, Prado, Reina Cristina) either within walking distance or easily accesable via metro.

I also recommend using http://www.hotelsearch.com/ (select "Centro" right under "Madrid - capital city"). The customer-surveys on each different hotel are a pretty good indication of what to expect.

A good site for a whole range of info on Madrid is http://www.madridman.com/.
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

Vulindlela

Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting Schoenorama (Reply 4):
Not entirely true, I am afraid. Madrid also can be quite expensive hotel-room wise, specially when there is high demand (ie, during congresses, etc.).

Yeah, every city has expensive hotels, but in Madrid there are also hotels and hostels everywhere for 20-30 euros. That is not the case in a place like Milan for example.
I don't remember the exact prices, but it seemed to me that the metro was also the cheapest I had ever seen in a major city. But, I was only there for 4 days, so I maybe didn't get a good idea of everything.

Caribb- If you are interested in painting, there are 3 good museums in a small area. They are:
The Prado, which I mentioned. This is the most famous, and contains mostly 16th-17th century spanish painting like Velazquez and El Greco.
Reina Sofia-More modern painting, 19th-20th century.
Thyssen (??)-a good collection of painting from most all periods.

You can look up more about them if you are interested. The Prado is the only place to see a great collection of Velazquez pictures. The other 2 museums are okay, but don't have much that can't be seen in any big city.
"If you take everything I've accomplished in my entire life and condense it down into 1 day, it looks decent!"

caribb

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:13 am

Thanks everyone for your advice. Not sure what to do about the taxi from the airport.. I'm arriving near midnight. What is a resonable fare to downtown from the airport? At least that will give me an idea if I'm being ripped off..

Bofredrik - the hotel looks great. I'm going to look into it. Thanks!
Schoenorama - thanks for the links! They'll be a big help.
Vulindlela - Thanks for the museum advice. I'll definately being doing that.

THanks again.