NoUFO
Topic Author

OK, How Did The Guy Get There?

Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:44 pm

This man is standing on a solitary rock. The canyon's depth is 900 meters (roughly 2,700 feet). The rock on the right is said to be safe.
So how did the guy get there and how did he get back (that is - if he made it back).

A second picture will follow soon, but first I invite you to guess. And don't forget: some apparently complicated things are in fact sooo simple ....
(Those who know the other picture should "shut up" for a moment, ok?!)
I support the right to arm bears

JGPH1A

RE: OK, How Did The Guy Get There?

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:15 pm

Helicopter.

(duh !)
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

SlamClick

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:18 pm

Jump.

It doesn't appear to be more than five or six feet and a jump from a higher to a lower point is possible in each direction. Piece of cake!
Gutsy doing it with the camera and tripod though.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

RichardPrice

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:20 pm

A plank of wood across the gap?

NoUFO
Topic Author

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:20 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 2):
five or six feet and a jump from a higher to a lower point is possible in each direction

But if he jumped: How did he get back. From a lower to a higher point with tripod and bag is not that easy.

Kieron747

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:21 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 1):
Helicopter.

Am I right in thinking that in many places you are not allowed to fly helicopters over such natural monuments, for fear of disturbing wildlife.

Devil's Tower in Wyoming springs to mind.

Either he jumped, or it's some kind of optical illusion and he can just step over.

kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

Klaus

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:23 pm

Over a tightrope if I remember correctly...!

NoUFO
Topic Author

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:26 pm

It's really simple: he jumped.

I mean, it's really simple: He has two hands, one to hold his plastic bag and tripod one to grasp for the stone. And yes, he wears either moccasins or flip-flops.

JGPH1A

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:30 pm

Now show us the third photo of him plummeting screaming to his doom.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Thom@s

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:33 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 8):

Or where road runner hands him a big box of dynamite, before pushing him off the edge...

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Klaus

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:34 pm

Okay, so it was a different but similar event I had remembered... But one thing is certain - that's not my kind of stunt...!  yuck 

NoUFO
Topic Author

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:38 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 8):

I thought that was the third photo?

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 9):
Or where road runner hands him a big box of dynamite, before pushing him off the edge...

No no, he made it. Even if he didn't, there was most probably a cactus in the valley 900 meters below him that would have cushioned his fall and allow him to survive.

[Edited 2006-09-11 16:39:45]

SlamClick

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:54 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 4):
But if he jumped: How did he get back. From a lower to a higher point with tripod and bag is not that easy.

Hello! I already said that:

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 2):
a jump from a higher to a lower point is possible in each direction.

His jump back to the base was exactly as I described.

The incredible thing here is that he was foolish enough to be doing this in sandals. That fact alone could easily have cost him a fall. Wear tightly laced shoes with some ankle support if you are trying this at home kids.

MKEdude

Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:29 am

Wow, this guy is a first-class idiot. Not only to make such a jump, but to do so while lugging camera equipment and wearing flip flops. Please tell me that he has not spawned any offspring.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

bushpilot

Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:47 am

Not sure if this is brass balls or cashew brains, probably both, but he is damn lucky a loose rock didnt ruin the rest of his day.

Tom in NO

Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:56 am

Only question I'd want to know is what was directly beneath the route he jumped.....was it a large and level rocky plateau, or was it 1,000' down to the Vishnu Schist or Redwall Foundation. That said.....

This guy has "complete idiot" written all over him. Relying on a one-hand-grab landing while wearing flip-flops.....

Btw, it's a hell of a lot more than 2,700 feet from the rim to the river.....the South Rim is around 7,000 feet, and the North Rim around 8,000 feet. The Colorado River is in the neighborhood of 2,000 feet.

2nd btw, one slip and this dummy becomes another statistic in the book I'm currently reading:

The majority of falls in the canyon are young adult males pulling the same kind of idiotic stunt this guy is.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

SlamClick

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:28 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 15):

Good friend of mine worked at the Canyon in her youth. Once I mentioned to her something that I'd noticed there: If you drive up to south rim from Williams AZ, the first place you get to see the gully is Mather overlook. Last time there, from out on the point to the left I noticed at the base of the cliff directly beneath the guardrail at Mather was a layer in places a couple of feet deep, of hats, sunglasses and whatnot.

She said: "Yes, and poodles and yorkies too." People are pretty careless when they first get there, I guess.

I tried to save a kid at Zion once with limited success. He climbed up across the switchback in a trail, got up in the middle somewhere and got psyched out. He was frozen there, trembling when I climbed up next to him. I talked calmly to him and finally got him to turn around, back to the rock and lower his center of gravity. This also got his entire shoe sole in contact with the rock instead of just the toe.

He'd have been okay but he'd been there a while and was exhausted. Shortly after turning over he slid down the sandstone slope, skinning his hands almost completely. His father and brother were able to catch him at the trail or he'd have gone over the edge below that. I think if he'd fallen while facing the rock he would have tumbled and struck his head on the rock. As it was he just sort of scooted down the slope.

One thing I did not do - I did not get close enough for him to grab me.

gunsontheroof

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:05 am

What I really like about this is that he risked his life for pretty much the same camera shot he could have gotten from the higher rock. I like his style.

NeilYYZ

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:34 am

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 17):
What I really like about this is that he risked his life for pretty much the same camera shot he could have gotten from the higher rock. I like his style.

That's what I was thinking, but if that's your thing, then go for it. Now, what would the other camera guy taking the pictures done if he'd fallen, I guess probably shoot the fall right up until the "splat."
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

Tom in NO

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am

Neil,
Considering how vertical the cliffs are in most areas along the rim, I doubt the photog shooting these shots would've been able to see the "splat".....unless, of course, he was being an idiot himself and leaning over the edge.

SlamClick,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. That hiker you helped out should consider himself lucky.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

AirCop

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:53 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 15):
This guy has "complete idiot" written all over him. Relying on a one-hand-grab landing while wearing flip-flops.....

bigthumbsup  Best description yet..Some people just weren't born with common sense.

rolfen

Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:53 pm

So thats how he got back.
But how did he get on the rock, because when jumping form the right to the left I dont see any place to put your feet. And jumping to the top of the rock would not be an option for me, because youll be running, and if you slide, trip, or whatever, or just run too fast, youre gone!
Not that jumping back with slippers and grabbing the rock with one hand is an option for me... if I was there I'd forget the tripod and grab that rock with both hands, as if my life depended on it  Wink
rolf

AerospaceFan

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:20 pm

That guy's gotta be one of either the gutsiest or stupidest men alive. Though not dead.

My humble opinion.
What's fair is fair.