rjpieces

Khatemi Served With Summons At Gala Dinner In DC

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:32 pm

http://www.nysun.com/article/39401

WASHINGTON — When Iran's ex-president was having his picture taken with admirers at a gala dinner sponsored by the Council on American-Islamic Relations in northern Virginia, he received an unexpected message from some of his former countrymen. It was a summons to appear at the U.S. District Court of the Southern District of New York in Manhattan.

On Thursday, lawyers representing seven Iranian Jewish families living in Los Angeles filed a lawsuit demanding that Mohammed Khatemi pay compensation for the disappearance of 12 of their relatives, who were detained, imprisoned, and in some cases tortured as they tried to leave Iran for Pakistan between 1994 and 1997. Mr. Khatemi became president of Iran in 1997.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

TNNH

RE: Khatemi Served With Summons At Gala Dinner In DC

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:07 am

This kind of thing is typical of what would come from the American Jewish community... Non-violent resistance to those perceived as hostile to the community's security or well-being.

Good for them. Doubt anything will come of it, but reminds Khatami he has enemies who are keeping an eye on him.

TNNG

qr332

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:22 am

He took office in 1997, these people dissapeared between 1994 and 1997. How is this Khatemi's fault?

This is not Ahmedinejad we are talking about, the article even talks about how he says the holocaust is historical fact, and Khatemi was much more liberal than Ahmeninejad; I dare you to find another president of the Islamic Republic who spoke to an Israeli official like Khatemi did with the Israel president. It is very interesting to note that Ahmedinejad and Khatemi pretty much hate each other and that they never got along because of the difference in opinions the two have.
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

TNNH

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:37 am

QR-

All the points you brought up are correct, and those accursing Khatami know that, but as a former President of the Islamic Republic, a country that has treated them like dogshit and that refuses to recognize two nations they hold dear, Israel and the US, they have gripes with him, and since he is somewhat "pro-west" and accesible, they go after him.

This is an indictment on Iran, as much as Khatami, but Khatami is accesible. Did you not interpret their action as such?

TNNH

qr332

Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:09 pm

Quoting TNNH (Reply 3):
This is an indictment on Iran, as much as Khatami, but Khatami is accesible. Did you not interpret their action as such?

I know that these are intentions, I just disagree with it as he is not at fault for what happened and thus should not be sued and held personally accountable for the actions of those who came before him.

Wouldn't have been better if they waited for Ahmadinejad to come to NY?
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

ME AVN FAN

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:12 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Thread starter):
a lawsuit demanding that Mohammed Khatemi pay compensation for the disappearance of 12 of their relatives, who were detained, imprisoned, and in some cases tortured as they tried to leave Iran for Pakistan between 1994 and 1997. Mr. Khatemi became president of Iran in 1997.

ok, so as he became president AFTER these things ended, it looks as if it was HE who terminated such things, or at the very least tried his best to do so

Quoting TNNH (Reply 3):
President of the Islamic Republic, a country that has treated them like dogshit and that refuses to recognize two nations they hold dear, Israel and the US,

the I.R.ofIran has always recognized the USA and has again and again asked the USA for a re-opening of diplomatic relations. It is the USA who refused/refuses.

TNNH

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:09 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 5):
the I.R.ofIran has always recognized the USA and has again and again asked the USA for a re-opening of diplomatic relations. It is the USA who refused/refuses.

Thats absurd, they refer to us as "the great satan" and a "nation of infidels" and held 52 Americans hostage for 444 days, yet want diplomatic channels. Where do you make this shit up?

deltadc9

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting QR332 (Reply 4):
I know that these are intentions, I just disagree with it as he is not at fault for what happened and thus should not be sued and held personally accountable for the actions of those who came before him.

That is not how it works in Iran. The Mullahs rule kind of like a corporation with a board of directors. The particular director that is serving as president at a particular time is not really any more responsible for the boards actions as any other board member.

He has been "on the board" for a long long time and is guilty of many atrocities, both before and after his "presidency".
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

ME AVN FAN

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:23 pm

Quoting TNNH (Reply 6):
they refer to us as "the great satan" and a "nation of infidels" and held 52 Americans hostage for 444 days, yet want diplomatic channels. Where do you make this shit up?

No reason to get excited ! They have always recognized the USA, to talk about that country in slogans was part of official rethorics. There WAS that hostage crisis, but the people in charge on both sides have changed in the meantime, and both President Rafsanjani and President Khatami, but even Mahmoud Ahmedinejad have repeatedly asked the USA to resume direct diplomatic relations. That you regard reconciliation as sh..... is regrettable !

deltadc9

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:30 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 8):
There WAS that hostage crisis, but the people in charge on both sides have changed in the meantime, and both President Rafsanjani and President Khatami, but even Mahmoud Ahmedinejad have repeatedly asked the USA to resume direct diplomatic relations.

No, the people on their side have not changed, that is the problem. The hostage takers in 79 are the people running the country today. And they have not been begging for normal relations, they are completely self serving and could care less about non Muslim countries. The PEOPLE are the ones who want things to chill out, NOT the government.

Have you been in a cave? Are you completely unaware of the direct threats made by the Iranian government to the US?

This is not in any way an indictment on the Iranian people, who are among the nicest people I have ever known, We are talking about the Mullahs and their deciples here.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

ME AVN FAN

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:56 pm

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 9):
completely unaware of the direct threats made by the Iranian government to the US?

"direct threats" ? you speak about those silly slogans of some of their clerics and of their president ? well, such things may not exactly be harmless, I admit, but to speak about "direct threats" sounds a bit overdone

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 9):
Have you been in a cave?

do you mean a prison cell ?