cosec59

Schumacher "Worst Champion In History"

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:31 pm

Seems like some one doesn't like him.
Can't say I'm a big fan either.

Quote:
Fernando Alonso cranked up his end-of-season battle with Michael Schumacher by slamming the seven-times champion as "the most unsporting driver in the history of Formula One".

Alonso's warring words are certain to serve as a spur for the 37-year-old German as he bids to end his controversially glittering career with an eighth world crown.

Schumacher cut Alonso's lead in the drivers' championship to just two points on Sunday with victory in an emotion-charged Italian Grand Prix at Monza.

Speaking on Spanish radio station, Radio Marca, Alonso said: "Even (Zinedine) Zidane retired with more glory than Schumacher!"
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

ba757

RE: Schumacher "Worst Champion In History"

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:34 pm

This has been partly discussed towards the end of this thread: F1 Will Never Be The Same (by EZEIZA Sep 10 2006 in Non Aviation)

But to be honest, lets have another thread on it. It's a good discussion.

Quoting Cosec59 (Thread starter):
Seems like some one doesn't like him.
Can't say I'm a big fan either.

Me neither.

Adam

DAL767400ER

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:43 pm

That's what he have been saying for years now.

Signed,

Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve

Personally, I don't give a f*ck about what Alonso has to say, within the last years he has proven that he is an arrogant, egocentric a$$hole who's not worth listening to.

Stealthz

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:43 pm

I will be the first to admit that he was a driver, perhaps without equal. A great champion.. I don't think so!

It is a shame that some serious character flaws took the gloss off that.
The blatant disruption of qualifying in Monaco this year was just one example.. a couple of years back when he "brake tested" Juan Pablo Montoya in the tunnel at Monaco(and lost) was even sadder it was not even for position.
Earlier this year his conflict with Pedro de la Rosa was similar.. he should have been thinking about points not fighting to the end for 5th place.

I think the "red mist" clouds his thinking and he must NOT be overtaken.. not sure he even knows it happens.. a true champion thinks of the bigger picture.
Sure over the years he has done that.. but he has let things slip enough to not be called a true "great"

[Edited 2006-09-13 15:45:23]
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

alphafloor

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:51 pm

"Every year there's a winner, but not every year there's a champion"
A.Senna
Whatever

aerobalance

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:18 am

Quoting Cosec59 (Thread starter):
Fernando Alonso

Champion brake tester....
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

SlamClick

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:18 am

All I ever need to remember about Schumacher is this:

The German national anthem (talking about instrumental only - don't know the words) is kind of solemn and teutonic where the Italian national anthem is spirited, fun even. Michael used to dance around and celebrate JUST LIKE THE ITALIANS did during its playing.

A bunch of LOSERS complained that he was disrespectful toward Italy in acting that way. They complained so bitterly that he stopped doing that.

He stopped celebrating an Italian achievement because a bunch of losers, not qualified to launder his driving suit had a little hissyfit over it. Now that he is retiring THEY call HIM a bad sportsman.

They can all go to hell.

This small-minded pettiness is one reason many Americans don't care much for F1.

The glorification of the rule-making committee is another. Hint: It is supposed to be about RACING cars. Not the height of bargeboards or flexibility of airfoils.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

AirPacific747

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:21 am

It's not because I don't like him, I just think that F1 will be so much more interesting without him. More competition.

wrighbrothers

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:30 am

I must say, I don't like him.
BUT, I believe that most people at the top of their game, aren't the best of sportsmen, and are prepared to do anything it takes, for example, remember a race, where Schumacher's team mate, was made to slow down to let him win, now whether that was his command or not, I'm sure his team mate (who's name escapes me) was too pleased at that.
I don't like the fact that he is a bad sportsman, and I'm glad to see the back of him, F1 will be more interesting.

But yet, we've got to understand, that once you are at the top, you'll do anything to stay there.

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

LH648

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:02 am

GP Europe 1997. It tells all about MS.

wingscrubber

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:13 am

I think schumey can afford to be arrogant, he's the best, he's probably more concerned with winning than public opinion anyway...
Edit: More to the point, Alonso is beginning to sound like a bitter loser.

[Edited 2006-09-13 19:14:14]
Resident TechOps Troll

dl021

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:17 am

In ten years all they're going to remember is that he was the greatest F1 champion of his day.....
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Pyrex

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 3):
he must NOT be overtaken..

The one in front does have the right to the trajectory...

Quoting Alphafloor (Reply 4):
"Every year there's a winner, but not every year there's a champion"
A.Senna

So true... just to think Jacques Villeneuve has won the title!
His father, now there was a true champion. The most exciting moment in F1 history (a final lap on some race) was between him and some other pilot I don't seem to remember.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 6):
The glorification of the rule-making committee is another. Hint: It is supposed to be about RACING cars. Not the height of bargeboards or flexibility of airfoils.

*Clap clap clap* (stands and applauds)

Very, very true...
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

ZakHH

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:50 am

Concerning Alonso's statement, I think the main point is not if you would agree with him or not. I don't consider myself a big Schumacher fan either.

But Alonso's statement was pathetic, and illustrates only 1 thing: that Alonso is scared as hell losing the World Championship against Schumacher this year.

Alonso's statement was not one of a great champion either. Even if you would agree with him, it still sounded more like bad loser. He can think whatever he wants, but he should STFU in public unless he has more qualified statements to make.
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

alphafloor

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:00 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 12):
The most exciting moment in F1 history (a final lap on some race) was between him and some other pilot I don't seem to remember.

It was in during the final laps of the french Grand-Prix 1979 in Dijon against french man René Arnoux.

http://www.alphafloor.net/images/gvilleneuve-arnoux.jpg

[Edited 2006-09-14 00:02:51]
Whatever

ZakHH

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:03 am

EDIT: mysterious double post, deleted  

[Edited 2006-09-14 00:05:04]
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

Stealthz

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:04 am

The one in front does have the right to the trajectory...

ONLY when racing for position... parking across a corner during qualifying is NOT racing for position, the JPM incident was NOT racing for position and there were many more.

And Captain Slammer, I agree it should be about the racing and not the politics.

And to show I am not taking sides.. I agree Alonso's comments of late are starting to sound like a petulant schoolboy that has had his favourite toy taken away!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

EZEIZA

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:48 am

Alonso is such a cry baby! Does he honestly think that a multi champion, three races away from his retirement really gives a crap about what Alonso has to say? Seriously, Alonso is a great driver, but he complains always about everything!
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

David L

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:54 am

I have to respect him as a driver but he can be a nasty piece of work when things aren't going his way.

waterpolodan

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:55 am

The most exciting moment in F1 history (a final lap on some race) was between him and some other pilot I don't seem to remember.

Alphafloor beat me to the response, but I have to agree, that battle at Dijon was one of the best moments in all of racing... just watch the footage with the typically enjoyable commentary of murray walker-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YCvxwEdLdK8&mode=related&search=

Also, for everyone on here who derrides Michael for poor sportsmanship and claims he is not a worthy champion, do you feel the same way about Senna? To me, Senna was just like Michael in that he did anything he could to win, and better judgement was often left by the wayside. Jerez 1997 was perhaps a less rediculous move than Suzuka 1990, when Ayrton entered the first turn behind Prost's Ferrari but he never intended to let Prost make it farther than 1 corner. At least Schumacher's title chances were ruined, Senna actually won the title with his dirty move. I think that Senna's death in the car was much like the death of any celebrity in their heyday, it solidifies their image as a hero while their flaws are glossed over. It's unfortunate that Schumacher, perhaps the greatest driver ever to race an F1 car, is being labeled as unworthy, because last time I checked, what makes one worthy for an F1 title is being the fastest and most consistent driver on track over the course of a season, not whether one occasionally uses poor judgement.

Also, anyone who donates 10 million dollars of their personal money to help tsunami relief is not an arrogant, selfish prick as some would have you believe.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:12 am

All in all it sounds as if he failed to make something deadly serious like headbumping an "adversary" or thelike ! In future, such stars when approaching "retirement" will become unpredictable !  wink   yes 

EZEIZA

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:39 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 19):
To me, Senna was just like Michael in that he did anything he could to win, and better judgement was often left by the wayside

At least Schumacher's title chances were ruined, Senna actually won the title with his dirty move

Also, anyone who donates 10 million dollars of their personal money to help tsunami relief is not an arrogant, selfish prick as some would have you believe.

I just highlighted these points, but your entire post was spot on!
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

bill142

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:43 am

Quoting LH648 (Reply 9):
GP Europe 1997. It tells all about MS.

Adelaide 1994 is where it began. Oh and lets not forget his suspension in 1994 as well.

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 16):
the JPM incident was NOT racing for position and there were many more.

Further more that incident happened under the saftey car.

Quoting Wingscrubber (Reply 10):
More to the point, Alonso is beginning to sound like a bitter loser.

It's all mind games. Alonso has every right to be bitter about what happened at Monza. The entire pitlane, except for Ferrari, feels sorry for him as they've all seen the footage and can clearly see that there was no blocking. Even Max Mosley has come out in support of him over that incident. Alonso is simply trying to undermine his confidence going into the last three races. Knowing he won't be around next season means that there is no option but to go for the juggular.

It's unfortunate that Schumacher, perhaps the greatest driver ever to race an F1 car, is being labeled as unworthy, because last time I checked, what makes one worthy for an F1 title is being the fastest and most consistent driver on track over the course of a season, not whether one occasionally uses poor judgement

I don't think he driving ability is being questioned. His qualities as a sportsman are. This is what Alonso is attacking. Just because you can drive a car fast doesn't make you a fair player.

bristolflyer

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:01 am

I think he's very unsportsman like as well.

But what I don't understand is why so many people are against Shuey for being unsportsmanlike but Senna and (to a lesser extent) Prost are put up on pedestals like they're gods. Yet these 2 used to drive around an F1 circuit like they're in bumper cars, even admitting that they used to take each other out.

Can someone answer that please  confused 

BF
Fortune favours the brave

waterpolodan

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:37 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 23):

Exactly. As I stated in my post, I think Senna is so revered because he died a dramatic death leading a grand prix, which of course will soften anyone's view of the man's career. In general, the real champions of the last 15 years, and I'm discounting Hill and Villeneuve here as they were more fairly talented drivers who were in the right car at the right time, the real champions like Senna and Prost and Mansell and even Alonso (witness his aggression with slower drivers when they hold him up) have been ruthless on the track, and that is the way the sport is today. The great days of the 60's when the drivers were respectable gentlemen and good friends on and off the track are gone, as money soured the sport in the 70s and has changed the entire attitude of the drivers. IMO the only true champion of the last 15 years who was not ruthless in the Senna/Schumacher style was Mika Hakkinen. He was just fantastically quick and a great man all around. At the time, I cheered against him as I was and am a Ferrari/MS fan, but I loved his strange dry sense of humor and clean, smooth style.

PanHAM

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:58 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 6):
A bunch of LOSERS complained that he was disrespectful toward Italy in acting that way. They complained so bitterly that he stopped doing tha

well, he did a little bit of it again in Monza last Sunday. At least to the end of the Italian National Anthem.

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 13):
But Alonso's statement was pathetic, and illustrates only 1 thing: that Alonso is scared as hell losing the World Championship against Schumacher this yea

Alonso is a bloody loser. He has no class, now that Michael is narrowing in on the comfortable lead Alonso had in the first half of this years championship, he gets bloody scared. Good for Michael, he just has to drive the last three races like he did most of the other 251 before. Alonso right now is Alkonso's biggest enemy. Good. The guy's gonna poop it. And he won't make a second championship after Schumacher has left the arena.

Also, for everyone on here who derrides Michael for poor sportsmanship and claims he is not a worthy champion, do you feel the same way about Senna? To me, Senna was just like Michael in that he did anything he could to win, and

Exactly. F1 is not a popularity contest. It is about to win in split seconds and nobody becomes champion without that "killer instinct".

Like him or not, Michael Schumacher comes from a family with no money, he won cart races with worn out material, he is a car mechanic by trade which puts him ahead of those drivers who don't know anything but driving and maybe having a big mouth. Michael knows what goes wrong if something goes wrong and he tells the mechanics how to fix it, and the engineers what to do in order to improve the cars performance. That was part of his success all the time. Whatever he is today, it was skill, knowledge and hard work and the necessary portion of luck.

He is an all time champion and it will take at least 30 or 50 years before someone else wins more races and tops Michael's achievements.

[Edited 2006-09-14 08:21:25]