jetjack74

"dog" The Bounty Hunter Arrested

Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:55 am

Duane "DOG" Chapman, the celeb bounty hunter was arrested with his 2 sons in Honolulu by Federal Marshalls on kidnapping charges, CNN reported about an hour ago(Oddly, this was at the request of the Mexican gov't). This stems from a 2003 apprehension of the looney Max Factor heir Andrew Luster who escaped to Mexico after raping a minor. Dog went to down to Mexico, grabbed him and brought him to the border and turned him over. They surrendered to Mexican officials and spent 3 days in jail in a well-publisized incident. He broke the law, but most Americans feel he did the right thing. The thing that strikes me is, the Mexican gov't now has hand in American law. What a great world we live in. If I was one of those federal marshals, I would've quit rather than serve a request at the behest of the Mexican gov't, if this indeed turns out to be a rope-a-dope.
Made from jets!

andessmf

RE: "dog" The Bounty Hunter Arrested

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:00 am

WTF!

That is complete BS if true. The reason DOG had to 'kidnap' the heir is because Mexico has no extradition treaty with the US, so if DOG was arrested on behalf of the Mexican government, it would be BS.

AirCop

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:04 am

I believe that he is facing possible similar charges in California, for taking into custody the wrong person, and the same person is suing him in civil court because the innocent person was shown in his show being handcuffed and dragged to jail. Personally, I think Mr. Chapman is a worthless POS that looking for the limelight.

AirCop

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:07 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 1):
The reason DOG had to 'kidnap' the heir is because Mexico has no extradition treaty with the US,

Americans going to Mexico or any other country have to follow the local laws, this is a clear case where he didn't, he jumped bail so now we will see how this plays out.

dl021

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:08 am

If the Mexican government is pursuing charges through the US, or civil courts here, then fair game.

If they have a fair extradition treaty with us that they honor, then fair game.

However, if we're giving them this guy without a damn good reason I'm not very happy.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

NWA742

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:10 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 2):
Personally, I think Mr. Chapman is a worthless POS that looking for the limelight.

Well, he's done some real shitty things in his life, but at least he's done a lot to make up for them, and that is more than can be said for most criminals.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

jetjack74

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:33 am

Personally, I think Mr. Chapman is a worthless POS that looking for the limelight.

Sorry to let you know, but the limelight went looking for him.
http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?...b8-8cf4-c1315963c297&f=00&fg=email
Made from jets!

767Lover

Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:48 am

I wasn't aware that bringing a "wanted" US adult citizen back into the US would be kidnapping.

Go3Team

Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:59 am

Seems kind of ironic. What are the chances the Mexican government would give up Mr. Luster, but "Dog" is given up in a heartbeat.
Yay Pudding!

yanksn4

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:12 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Thread starter):
Duane "DOG" Chapman, the celeb bounty hunter was arrested with his 2 sons in Honolulu by Federal Marshalls on kidnapping charges, CNN reported about an hour ago(Oddly, this was at the request of the Mexican gov't). This stems from a 2003 apprehension of the looney Max Factor heir Andrew Luster who escaped to Mexico after raping a minor. Dog went to down to Mexico, grabbed him and brought him to the border and turned him over. They surrendered to Mexican officials and spent 3 days in jail in a well-publisized incident. He broke the law, but most Americans feel he did the right thing. The thing that strikes me is, the Mexican gov't now has hand in American law. What a great world we live in. If I was one of those federal marshals, I would've quit rather than serve a request at the behest of the Mexican gov't, if this indeed turns out to be a rope-a-dope.

I find it very funny that on the first request, we honor the Mexican Govt.'s wishes. Yet when we requested Raul Gomez (illegal immigrant that shot and killed a cop here in Denver) they took weeks to hand him over and dictated what he could recieve and what he could not recieve as punishment here. What a joke.

signed,
Matthew
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

ltbewr

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:27 am

It is a twisted world, but one has to recognize that 'Dog' Chapman did violate the laws of the sovereign government of Mexico. I would hope that President Bush would tell the Mexican government to tell them get lost as Dog's arrest of Andrew Luster was not able to be done by normal legal means. Of course, Bush has to keep Mexico from hating us even more.
Maybe Dog should have paid off some Mexican cops to do the arrest and transport him to the border and have him arrested by US border police. Now he faces a potentially nasty stint in a Mexican jail. Yet millions of Mexicans are in the USA illegally, 10,000's + entering illegally each day and we don't go after them...

F9Animal

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:46 am

I believe that he is facing possible similar charges in California, for taking into custody the wrong person, and the same person is suing him in civil court because the innocent person was shown in his show being handcuffed and dragged to jail. Personally, I think Mr. Chapman is a worthless POS that looking for the limelight.

Shit happens. If anything that goes in DOG'S favor, is the fact that he hunts fugitives. I would say his record of arrests is pretty darned impressive. Being a Bounty Hunter is a very difficult profession (looking at your retirement from CHP, you know how hard it can be with a badge and gun.). We are all human, and can make identity mistakes. Regardless if he is looking for limelight, nobody can touch his ability to get the bad guys.

Look at the fiasco with the Jon Bonnet Ramsey case. Guy was flown all the way back to the US, and turns out that he was not the one. While he had other charges, is that considered kidnapping?

I have personally watched law enforcement handcuff and haul off innocent people. Even law enforcement has its bad days. DOG is doing a good thing, and he is good at what he does. If he gets recognition and makes the limelight,,,,, good for him!!!! If I could get in the limelight, a television show, and lots of $$$$$ for being good at my job.......... I would be fine with that!
I Am A Different Animal!!

ETStar

Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:11 pm

The thing that strikes me is, the Mexican gov't now has hand in American law. What a great world we live in. If I was one of those federal marshals, I would've quit rather than serve a request at the behest of the Mexican gov't, if this indeed turns out to be a rope-a-dope.

So now you kinda know how other countries feel when the FBI and CIA have a hand in their countries' law... If there is such agreement between two countries, both have the right to exercise it.

MD11Engineer

Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:27 pm

Very simple.
While "Dog" has powers of arrest in the US, he doesn't have them in Mexico (it would have been the same in Germany, private "head hunters" are not legal here, only police and customs can legaly arrrest a person. An exeption is the citizen arrest, if you e.g. catch somebody while he is committing a crime. Then you can hold him until the police arrives.).
Any attempt of arrest would have to go through the Mexican authorities.
If there doesn't exist an extradition treaty, tough luck. It is up to the respective governments to negotiate one.
E.g. Germany and most EU countries do not extradite if a person faces captial punishment or torture.
The crime also has to be punishable in here, e.g. we wouldn't extradite somebody to China because e.g. he broke the Chinese censorship laws.

In some cases we have bilateral agreements with our neighbouring countries (e.g. the Netherlands), which permit police from one country in hot pursuit to cross the borders and to arrest a fugitive.But in this case the local police has to be informed ASAP and the suspect then handed over to the respective country's police, who will then go through the process of extradiction. In some border counties e.g. German and Dutch police do mixed patrols or even share the police station on both sides of the border.

Arresting somebody in a country without having legal power of arrest IS kidnapping.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Lucky42

Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:25 pm

Bottom line is that if the corrupt Mexican law enforcement had been doing it's job Chapman wouldn't have had to go down there to get this scumbag. While true that he violated Mexican law my question is that they had the dog in custody why didn't they take care of it then? Why now almost 3 yrs later? Are they jealous of his fame perhaps?

MD11Engineer

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:00 am

Quoting Lucky42 (Reply 14):
Bottom line is that if the corrupt Mexican law enforcement had been doing it's job Chapman wouldn't have had to go down there to get this scumbag. While true that he violated Mexican law my question is that they had the dog in custody why didn't they take care of it then? Why now almost 3 yrs later? Are they jealous of his fame perhaps?

Correction.
As far as I see the case the fugitive had not comitted a crime on Mexican soil.
Mexico and the US have no extradiction treaty for crimes comitted in the respective other country, so there was no base for the Mexican police to arrest the fugitive. Mexican police and (unlike there is a treaty, other police forces) don't care what somebody did in another country. The only excemption I know of are war crimes and crimes against humanity. Also some countries e.g. make child abuse a crime for their citizens, no matter in which country they comitted it.
What "dog" Chapman did was simply illegal and if he is facing a prison sentence in Mexico it is purely his fault.

It is up to the governments to negotiate a extradiction treaty. Then the US can fax the arrest order over to Mexico and, if approved by a Mexican judge, the Mexican police can arrest the criminal and send him to the US. This will obviously also work the other way around.

Jan

MDorBust

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:22 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 15):
Mexico and the US have no extradiction treaty for crimes comitted in the respective other country...

Yes we do

31 U.S.T. 5061

However, it is currently not applicable to extradition to the United States from Mexico since Mexican courts have ruled that they will not extradite unless the US can make a guarantee on the sentence the accused would receive... which is illegal under US law. So, currently only United States to Mexico extradition happens.

Under article IV of the treaty Mexico is supposed to try any crimes committed by or against Mexican nationals while in other countries. We've found this to be... not the case in practice.

Only one of many areas in which the US needs to re-examine it's relationship with Mexico.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

MD11Engineer

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:38 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 16):
However, it is currently not applicable to extradition to the United States from Mexico since Mexican courts have ruled that they will not extradite unless the US can make a guarantee on the sentence the accused would receive... which is illegal under US law. So, currently only United States to Mexico extradition happens

As I said, Germany doesn't extradite people if they face the death penalty, and this includes the US. But if it falls within German jurisdiction, the German legal system will prosecute.
An example: I remember a case long ago. where an US soldier raped and killed several women in Germany. He was tried by a German court of law and is now serving a life term in Germany.
The German authorities who had him arrested in first place refused to hand him over to the American authorities due to the fact that he might be executed, which is against the German constitution.

There were other cases in the past as well.

Jan

dw9115

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:04 pm

Now come on! He has good intentions but does stumble sometimes yet another reason why cops need more money to do these things instead bounty hunters.

luv2fly

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:48 pm

Simple answer GUILTY! Mexico laws, Mexico wins this round.
You can cut the irony with a knife

yanksn4

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:59 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 15):
Correction.
As far as I see the case the fugitive had not comitted a crime on Mexican soil.
Mexico and the US have no extradiction treaty for crimes comitted in the respective other country, so there was no base for the Mexican police to arrest the fugitive. Mexican police and (unlike there is a treaty, other police forces) don't care what somebody did in another country. The only excemption I know of are war crimes and crimes against humanity. Also some countries e.g. make child abuse a crime for their citizens, no matter in which country they comitted it.
What "dog" Chapman did was simply illegal and if he is facing a prison sentence in Mexico it is purely his fault.

Well it's nice to see that Mexican police care so much about their citizens as to not put suspicion or watch on someone known to be a sexual offender. Can you not tell me honestly that this creep would not have tried to rape some girl in a resort town or small village? C'mon, this guy was probably in heaven seeing all the oppurtunities he had to commit a crime. Your thought that we should not care until they actually commit a crime is very dangerous. This is the exact same attitude that prevented us from accepting Bin Laden when the Sudanese offered him over. (just to go off topic for a sec). Bottom line here folks, Dog was justified in breaking Mexican law if it meant that another innocent girl would be sparred from this pervert.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 13):
If there doesn't exist an extradition treaty, tough luck. It is up to the respective governments to negotiate one.
E.g. Germany and most EU countries do not extradite if a person faces captial punishment or torture.
The crime also has to be punishable in here, e.g. we wouldn't extradite somebody to China because e.g. he broke the Chinese censorship laws.

While I 100% agree that a person should not be extradicted to another country to face death for a non-violent crime, I have to do a 180 when it comes to accusations of a violent crime. If countries have a problem with the death penalty in violent crime cases, then fine don't use that punishment in that country. However, if we feel a person deserves to die for taking the life of another person, then other nations need to honor that right.

signed,
Matthew
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

luv2fly

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:11 pm

Also maybe in jail he will get that awful mullet cut off!

767Lover

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:20 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 19):
Simple answer GUILTY! Mexico laws, Mexico wins this round.

If that's the case, why did they wait 2-3 years to arrest him? They knew where to find him all these years, for Chrissakes.

Quoting Yanksn4 (Reply 20):
Bottom line here folks, Dog was justified in breaking Mexican law if it meant that another innocent girl would be sparred from this pervert.

checkmark 

EA CO AS

Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:32 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 16):
Under article IV of the treaty Mexico is supposed to try any crimes committed by or against Mexican nationals while in other countries.

So then let's just start shipping illegal aliens not to the border, but to the Mexican judicial system for trial, as each of them committed a crime by entering the U.S. illegally.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

NWA742

Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:39 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 22):
If that's the case, why did they wait 2-3 years to arrest him?

I was asking the same question before, but now I assume it's because of the boredom brought on by not fixing things or enforcing laws in their own country.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

MD11Engineer

Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:44 pm

Funny how you "Law and Order" people are willing to break laws if it suits your agenda. Either you have laws or don't.

Jan

luv2fly

Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:10 am

The bottom line is that he is no better than the people he chases! What is good for the goose is good for the gander! He broke the law, once by bounty hunting in Mexico and once by skipping out on his bail.

yanksn4

Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:16 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 25):
Funny how you "Law and Order" people are willing to break laws if it suits your agenda. Either you have laws or don't.

So I'm guessing you'd rather have another girl raped?

AirCop

Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:19 am

Quoting Dw9115 (Reply 18):
Now come on! He has good intentions but does stumble sometimes yet another reason why cops need more money to do these things instead bounty hunters.

And what would your reaction be if he detained you by mistake took you to the jail, get booked, sit in the cell for a few days, then released by the sheriff when they discover its not you, then you find yourself on some TV show, so the whole world thinks you gulity of something.

EMBQA

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:26 am

The thing that strikes me is, the Mexican gov't now has hand in American law. What a great world we live in.

They were arrested because they failed to appear for their court date in Mexico. This same thing would have happened to any of us. I'm sure had they showed up, the judge would have slapped their hands and said don't do it again. But when you FTA that spits in the face of Judge and Courts and they don't like that. Funny part... how many times on the show did you hear... "Man, all you needed to do was show up"
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

dw9115

Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:49 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 28):
And what would your reaction be if he detained you by mistake took you to the jail, get booked, sit in the cell for a few days, then released by the sheriff when they discover its not you, then you find yourself on some TV show, so the whole world thinks you guilty of something.

Well I know the local sheriff were my parents live (FSD), now it is some what of a small county (only 250,000 people) but he said that when they get people like Mr. Chapman that bring people in he said they triple check the peoples ID and fingerprints etc. to make sure they have the right man because they do not want to be sued for wrongfully detaining a person and I am fairly sure other counties do the same if not for the same reasons like making sure they have the right man but for the simple fact that the insurance company that underwrites them makes them do to prevent risk of litigation.

MD11Engineer

Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:56 pm

I fully agree. He also violated the souvereignity of Mexico.
I'm glad we don't have private bounty hunters over here. Here (as in most European countries) only sworn, professional law enforcement officers have the power of arrest (with the exception of abovementioned citizen arrest when catching somebody in the act of commiting a crime). Occasionally a police officer from another country can get power of arrest here (like e.g. the British, Italian and Polish police officers brought here to assist in crowd control during the recent football world championship).

Obviously the rapist should be brought to court, but on the other hand people like "Dog" and also police officers are not above the law either. "Dog" did not have the right to arrest somebody in Mexico, so he has to face the consequences, the least being a persona non grata in Mexico for life. He would have to face the same consequences, if not a lengthy jail term, if he would have been caught over here. He is not even a police officer, but just somebody who loans money for profit. BTW, I watched "Dog's" show on German TV once and IMO he and his colleagues are just trailer trash.

The end doesn't always justify the means, else you'll end up in either a dictatorship or Somalian style anarchy with blood feuds.

Jan

flyboy36y

Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:23 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 31):
He also violated the souvereignity of Mexico.

No he did not. How?

TedTAce

Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:05 pm

Quoting Flyboy36y (Reply 32):
No he did not. How?

He broke Mexican law, then thumbed his nose at the government by leaving and ignoring his parole sentencing. I love watching Dog, but I'm calling a spade a spade here. He knows he belongs in a Mexican jail for what he did on one level or another. By that same token, this government needs to make Mexico realize that there will be an effing riot if we are forced to send him back.
This space intentionally left blank

767Lover

Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:21 pm

BTW, I watched "Dog's" show on German TV once and IMO he and his colleagues are just trailer trash.

Way to be so judgemental.

BTW, I bet if that scumbag boyfriend of your daughter's had taken her to Mexico you would have been happy to have Dog's help.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/1164235

[Edited 2006-09-17 15:24:12]

MD11Engineer

Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:46 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 34):
BTW, I watched "Dog's" show on German TV once and IMO he and his colleagues are just trailer trash.

Way to be so judgemental.

BTW, I bet if that scumbag boyfriend of your daughter's had taken her to Mexico you would have been happy to have Dog's help.

Well, I think if you want to break the law for personal justice the only honourable thing is to do it yourself, not to pay somebody to break the law for you. I might go after the b@st@rd myself, but not hire some muscle.

Jan

767Lover

Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:17 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 35):
I might go after the b@st@rd myself, but not hire some muscle.

I don't think we have to worry about you attempting to kick anyone's @$$, Jan!

wink 

MD11Engineer

Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:14 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 36):
Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 35):
I might go after the b@st@rd myself, but not hire some muscle.

I don't think we have to worry about you attempting to kick anyone's @$$, Jan!

You think so? While I'm normaly a peacefull guy and rather avoid confrontations, some people who have made me angry enough in the past got quite surprised when I've shown my other side...

Jan

EMBQA

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:50 am

Anyone watch special on A&E on Tuesday...? While they did good going after Andrew Luster and bring that pig to justice.... they all but admitted they were playing the game of hoping the statute of limitation would expire on their pending case.... for which they failed to show up for the hearing in Mexico.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

TedTAce

Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:55 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 38):
Anyone watch special on A&E on Tuesday...?

I wasted my time on this, yes.

they all but admitted they were playing the game of hoping the statute of limitation would expire on their pending case.... for which they failed to show up for the hearing in Mexico.

Yeap, I think they should have taken thier licks while they could have gotten away with it. Maybe if they had stayed the judge would have said sentence served.

Andrew Luster

A Great PR job of the ends justifying the means.

On the one hand I feel sorry for them in that they believe that the ends justifies the means.

On the other hand it is apparently blinding them from the FACT they broke Mexican law.

It is foolish for them to think the outcry of Americans will save their asses. After all with W. prancing about saying we are "a nation of laws" how foolish would it be to ignore the laws of another country? W. is going to hide behind 'bureaucratic' subordinates and let the dog get pounded in Mexican jail. I'll miss watching new episodes for a while but he will be back; justice HONESTLY served.

I love the show (save it's religious overtones) and I have a ton of respect for the work the dog does. But he should know better, you mess with the bull, you get the horns.
This space intentionally left blank

AirCop

Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:30 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 39):
On the other hand it is apparently blinding them from the FACT they broke Mexican law.

It is foolish for them to think the outcry of Americans will save their asses. After all with W. prancing about saying we are "a nation of laws" how foolish would it be to ignore the laws of another country?

Its time for Dog and his crew to face the music. Lets face for a action there is a reaction and this one bit him.

MiCorazonAzul

Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:06 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 4):
However, if we're giving them this guy without a damn good reason I'm not very happy.

He went into a country and did something illegal which is bounty hunting. Why on earth shouldn't Mexico prosecute him? Oh and not only did he go bounty hunting but also skipped a court appearance which is going totally against what he tells criminals on his show. I for one have lost all respect for him over this issue.
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.