rootsair

Do You Get Along Well With Kids?

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:55 pm

I have been talking to friends about whether they like kids or not. some of them don't mind them others really cannot stand them.
On my side, I'm a big chils in that I can easily get along well with them ( actually I can get along well with people of any ages).
In my neighbourhood all kids know me and I have organised parties and activities for them.
I think they are great and I'm just hoping to have my own kids one day since they are just amazing
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

skidmarks

RE: Do You Get Along Well With Kids?

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:27 pm

i get on with kids - as long as they are at a distance and not begging money/food/lifts from me.

I mean, I talk to the kids on A.net Big grin  duck 

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Banco

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:48 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 1):
I mean, I talk to the kids on A.net

From your aged perspective, that's just about everyone...
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

DAL767400ER

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:57 pm

Depends on how well-behaved they are. Most of the time I get along well, whereas in some cases, I would want to smack the sh!t out of a kid's parents for raising a little bAstard.

mauriceb

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:00 pm

although im not old myself, i can get along with kids very well!

My brother has a daughter and she's only 1,5 years old, but i see here more like my litle sister/daughter, she's great! I see her about 2/3 times a week and i alway's buy something for here.

Somethings i can not stand kids, when they are here and they wan't to play on my Xbox all day long while i just wan't to sit in my room, Quitly!

But if that's all, i think i don't have problems with kids at all  Smile

Doona

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:24 pm

I don't really hang around with little children very much, except when I'm visiting my dad in the states. In Lincoln, NE, my five cousins have a total of 18 little brats, 17 boys and one girl, all currently aged between 1 and 15. Most of them annoy the crap out of me, and they enjoy my company alot more than I enjoy theirs. My annual visits are apparently very popular, when I visit they're all suddenly at my dad's house waiting for me... nothing like being swamped by a horde of little bastards after spending between 18 and 24 hours on planes.

Still, it can fun to be around them, even though I can never remember any of their names, as I don't really have any family in Sweden apart from my mother, my sister, and my aunt.

However, I could do without the youngest ones that want to be accompanied to the bathroom every time they "need to go".  silly 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

alphafloor

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:31 pm

Don't you think pediatrist should be the right specialization for you Roots ?
Whatever

rootsair

Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:18 pm

Quoting Alphafloor (Reply 6):
Don't you think pediatrist should be the right specialization for you Roots ?

Depends alejandro...depends.
Whilst I enjoy the presence of kids, pedriatrics is a more complicated thing.
Kids under age 2 cannot tell you what they have or where they feel pain(Some people in my class say its like being at the veterinary). Thus a diagnosis can often be very difficult which leads to a feeling of absolute frustration, especially when the kid has a simple otitis but you cannot see it beause he's got too much earwax which is impossible to remove!

You also have the parents! sometimes they can be a pain in the big ass but I understand I don't know how I'd be if my kid is very sick!

Then again a kid's body doesn't exactly work like an adult's. So some notions of medicine you learn cannot be applied to a kid.

hope this resumes what i feel in respect to pediatrics
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

gregtx

Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:07 pm

Can't stand them----see no use for them.
If seated in a restaurant next to them, I ask to be moved.

I've always disliked them. Not sure why.

There is no such thing as well behaved children---just optimistic parents.

Superfly

Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:11 pm

Children are awesome little creatures.
Then again, I am not a parent so it's easy for me to say that.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

rootsair

Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:12 pm

Quoting Gregtx (Reply 8):

don't you think that's a bit of an egotistical attitude...you were a kid once as long as I am concerned.....

flyingbabydoc

Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:27 pm

I am sorry to say, but I am appalled that someone would write (and think) something like this. I hope you really consider carefully before becoming a father, if you ever want to be one.

As for me, my user name says it all. Children are my life, have been since I first set foot in a pediatric hospital, and I could not imagine anyone better to work with as patients than children. Yes, they may cry and pout and yell but they are innocent, sweet, honest, truthful, full of happiness and always forgiving our many mistakes as adults.

I would gladly change my place in a restaurant to sit among 50 screaming children than to sit together with a well-behaved yet child-unloving adult.

There are no such thing as bad behaved children. There are only parents who have not taken enough time from their own interests and pursuits to devote a bit more time, love and care for educating their children.

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

Superfly

Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:51 pm

I am going to get Michael Jackson to come and kick your butt!  box 
Bring back the Concorde

PanHAM

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:27 pm

May be you are the re-incarnation of W.C. Fields?
powered by Eierlikör

mauriceb

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:30 pm

If seated in a restaurant next to them, I ask to be moved

Guess you got some serieos issue's then...

Atleast youre honest about it! which i ofcourse respect  Smile

gregtx

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:53 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 10):
don't you think that's a bit of an egotistical attitude...you were a kid once as long as I am concerned

Makes no difference, apparently my parents thought differently. Has nothing to do with ego.

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 11):
I am sorry to say, but I am appalled that someone would write (and think) something like this

Appalled---that a bit dramatic for a doctor. Get over your smug self righteousness....just because those kids are your meal ticket doesn't mean I have to love them too. Sorry.

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 11):
There are no such thing as bad behaved children. There are only parents who have not taken enough time from their own interests and pursuits to devote a bit more time, love and care for educating their children

Seriously, half a cup of coffee almost flew threw my nose at that one! But the Mr. Roger-esgue attitude is great. There always seems to be the predisposed notion that children are somehow innocents. They can be just as manipulative and psychotic as any adult when they want to be (bad DNA, man!)---but hey...let's blame Mommy and Daddy.

For those of you that wanna have 'em....that's great. Just stop telling me what a little angel they are.....because they're NOT!

JGPH1A

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:58 pm

Kids are great ! I love spending time with my nieces and nephew, it's like occupational therapy, you can just relax and enjoy - you get to build lego and stuff, it's cool. And they have a very honest outlook on life, there's none of the grey areas that adults have to contend with - either something is great, or it sucks. It's fun watching them discover the world, helping them overcome obstacles etc. I don't think I could cope with kids of my own though - the responsibility would kill me ! I don't think I could hack having to be completely responsible for the wellbeing of another human being 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Much too much like work.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Banco

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:23 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 16):
you get to build lego and stuff

Ah, yes. "Daddy, Uncle Jon is building a brothel" Big grin
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

JGPH1A

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 17):
Ah, yes. "Daddy, Uncle Jon is building a brothel"

"Gentleman's Club" if you don't mind.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

53Sqdn

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:40 pm

Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, kids aren't kids anymore. They're just small versions of their parents. That is where the problem lies IMO. Attitude, language (innit) and walking around as if they own the whole world. Not the kids fault maybe but, when they grow up and have children of there own the problem just gets worse. Unfortunately, around here a lot of the adults(?) are single mothers. Fat, trying to squeeze in to the tightest pair of jeans (unfortunately succeeding) which allows you the revolting sight of being behind one when she bends over. To add insult to injury, they are usually wearing a thong that disappears into the dark (very large) unknown. Yeeuk!

As an ex bus driver, I have all the time in the world for the little darlings  gnasher 

cedars747

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:47 pm

I cant imagine my life without my kids.They are the main reason of my existence.I enjoy every single minute with them
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

flyingbabydoc

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting Gregtx (Reply 15):
Appalled---that a bit dramatic for a doctor. Get over your smug self righteousness....just because those kids are your meal ticket doesn't mean I have to love them too. Sorry.

self-righteousness? I think not. I have seen all too often this kind of rhetoric ending up in child abuse and neglect. Meal ticket? Well, I enjoy my profession a bit too much to see patients as "meal tickets". Medicine is still a bit more honoured than that. If that sounds "smug" to you, though. We do have professional honour and an ethics code. And our patients are human beings, not tickets to anything. I would be curious as to how you see your clients - probably "meal (settlements, verdicts) tickets collectors" apply better to other professions than to doctors.

Quoting Gregtx (Reply 15):
They can be just as manipulative and psychotic as any adult when they want to be (bad DNA, man!)---but hey...let's blame Mommy and Daddy.

Although there are some congenital and early psychiatric diseases (Autism, depression, hyperactivity syndrome) a child is a product of the environment it grows. It is indeed the parents fault, or surrogate family, or society. But a child IS innocent until able to make its own decisions. And we as adults are indeed responsible. How can you blame a 6-year old for throwing a tantrum when all he gets from the parents are "shut up, leave me alone" yells?

Maybe you should read a document by the United Nations on the rights of children. They need to be protected, taught and allowed to evolve into functional and happy adults. Not being seen as an annoyance and neglected. Obviously, it does not happen always. We have enough proof of that every day...

Alex

skidmarks

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:07 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 16):
Kids are great

Yeah, but I bet even YOU couldn't eat a whole one!!!!!!!! Big grin  stirthepot 

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

gregtx

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:27 am

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 21):
Medicine is still a bit more honoured than that. If that sounds "smug" to you, though. We do have professional honour and an ethics code

Oh geez, that defense comes up in every malpractice case the firm wins....so that's even more arrogant. At least I'll call a spade a spade!

And we as adults are indeed responsible

Sorry, not the least bit responsible for anyone's rugrats....planned or otherwise.

They need to be protected, taught and allowed to evolve into functional and happy adults. Not being seen as an annoyance and neglected

Long as they leave me alone...their parents can read anything they want.

Clearly not everyone is meant for parenting. At least I recognize it. But folks also need to realize I could give a rat's ass if their sperm works.

EWS

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:28 am

I post here dont I?

Lew Big grin

yooyoo

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:34 am

I get along with kids just fine. I better, i have two !!  Wink

It's a few adults i have problems with, even some that have posted in this thread.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

flyingbabydoc

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:54 am

Quoting Gregtx (Reply 23):
Oh geez, that defense comes up in every malpractice case the firm wins....so that's even more arrogant. At least I'll call a spade a spade!

Well, since doctors seem to be your "meal ticket", you should appreciate kids since they are indirectly providing your "meal", correct? Physicians vs attorneys... difficult fight in terms of whom is more arrogant. The jury is still out on that one.

Quoting Gregtx (Reply 23):
Clearly not everyone is meant for parenting. At least I recognize it. But folks also need to realize I could give a rat's ass if their sperm works.

Well, it is a good thing you recognize that parenting is not for everyone. I agree with you completely on this one. Regardless, investing in children also means investing on your own future. They will be paying your retirement and medicare eventually.  Wink

Alex

gregtx

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:04 am

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 26):
Physicians vs attorneys... difficult fight in terms of whom is more arrogant.

Damn, we agree on something!
 Smile

They will be paying your retirement and medicare eventually.

I doubt seriously either of us will require SS or medicare...at any rate...I'm retiring in ten years (at 40).

Have a good afternoon....thanks for the good natured sparring, Alex.
Greg/

Speedbirdie

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:12 am

Hmm, even at my ripe old age of 26, i find myself spitting at them whenever they are near me. I dont think I'll ever be maternal, i dont think its in me and I cant picture myself with children. I just cant bare them to be anywhere near me or looking at me..
Is there something wrong with me?
Never give up..

flyingbabydoc

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:41 am

Quoting Gregtx (Reply 27):
Have a good afternoon....thanks for the good natured sparring, Alex.

Anytime. My pleasure.

Quoting Speedbirdie (Reply 28):

I don't think so, as long as you are not effectively harming them with neglect or abuse or simple hate.
However, not baring them looking at you... why? That is a bit "over the top", right? Any traumas? I hope you get over it if you ever want to become a mother...

Alex

EWS

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:42 am

Quoting Speedbirdie (Reply 28):

Not at all.. Quite alot of women i know in the same age bracket as you (you still need to change yours!! :P) feel the same way. Nothing at all feel bad about.

Lew

Speedbirdie

Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:21 am

See thats it FlyingBabyDoc, I cant bare to look at them because they annoy me so very much.. My point was I dont think ill ever be a mother which is odd for someone my age..
And shuddup Lew!!
Never give up..

flyingbabydoc

Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:44 am

Quoting Speedbirdie (Reply 31):
My point was I dont think ill ever be a mother which is odd for someone my age..

No, it is not. There are many women who are horribly afraid of having babies (even in the delivery room), and mostly of all the commitment a child implies. Sometimes when they get pregnant they develop the "motherly instinct"; sometimes they don't...

If they really annoy you, maybe motherhood is not for you. However, you may try to "desensitize" by spending little amounts of time with children that you "like", such as nephews and nieces. Or not  Wink

Just please don't become a mother before sorting that out...

Alex

Speedbirdie

Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:51 am

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 32):

Spending time with young family is a problem as they live so damn far away from me and I never get to see them anyway!!
And I wont become a mother before I sort my isues out, you can count on that!!
Maybe one day it will click in.. hehe..
Never give up..

andessmf

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:07 am

See thats it FlyingBabyDoc, I cant bare to look at them because they annoy me so very much.. My point was I dont think ill ever be a mother which is odd for someone my age..

Seen it more than once, where a woman with your thoughts turned out to be a better mother than I ever imagined.

investing in children also means investing on your own future

Not necessarily financial investment, but a personal investment in yourself. Done right, parenting can lead to a greater appreciation of life and family, and a greater enjoyment of those simple things we have forgotten about.

We both enjoy our children very much.

bushpilot

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:17 am

I work with kids almost all day through my job, I like kids for the most part, it is a few individuals who I dont care for, but that doesnt have much to do with them being kids, the kids I dont like I wouldnt care for as adults.
I have always been a fan of the saying that youth make up about %17 of the poppulation, but are %100 of the future.

saxdiva

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:22 am

My point was I dont think ill ever be a mother which is odd for someone my age..

Unusual, perhaps, but not unheard of. By the time I was 20 I was pretty certain that parenthood wasn't my cup of tea. I enjoy kids as long as they're well-behaved (or well-supervised), and I have a 14 week-old nephew who, IMHO, is about the most perfect child in the world.

That said, there's a maternal gene missing in me, and at my age, I don't feel like I have to apologize anymore. My temperament and lifestyle are completely unsuited to raising children, and one thing I do know is that it would patently wrong to have kids unless I'm prepared to overhaul my priorities. The saddest situations I've ever seen have arisen when people have kids out of some sense of entitlement, and then go on living their lives (high-pressure, time-consuming careers, dating, etc.) as though they were childless.

So... I'll go on enjoying being an auntie. Hard not to when you're nephew to this little monkey (BTW, Alex, he's already got two teeth and we're discouraging him from trying to stand..!)

-Leanne

767Lover

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:24 am

I get along with them fine -- but not always with the parents, because I set limits on kids. I don't let them have full run of my home or stuff, and require that they wait untl others are finished speaking before they interrupt.

I also have no problem asking children to please stop it when they are doing things like kicking the back of my seat on an airplane.

Too many "modern" parents are afraid of doing these things with their kids, in my experience.

aero145

Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:17 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 1):
I mean, I talk to the kids on A.net

box 

ShyFlyer

Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:50 am

While I don't hate kids, I feel awkward around them. Almost as if I can't relate to them at all. I am in awe of some of my friends who are parents who can interact with the little ones so easily.
I lift things up and put them down.

RJwrench85

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:57 pm

I don't mind kids that much and get along with them fine. My only problem with them and just my  twocents  is dating people with kids flat out is a Pain in the rear for various reasons. Other than that I will continue to enjoy watching "Finding Nemo" and "Monsters Inc" 58 times a day  biggrin  with my nephew
"Improvise, Adapt, Overcome"

carmenlu15

Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:19 pm

I usually get along well with kids. Having two sisters, ages 10 and 5, I have no other choice. Big grin

Nah... I like children, and most of the time I'm willing to run, jump, hide, play with them, watch kiddie movies.. well, I'll watch kiddie movies even if there are no kids around, actually  Silly.

The few times my sisters cause me trouble is when they keep insisting that I go play with them after I've told them I'm busy. I mean, with a full-time job and college studies, I need some time for myself once in a while!

One thing though, I can't stand spoiled brats. And I know quite a few...  irked 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

zruda

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:37 pm

see no use for them.

Have you ever imagined that kids will be adults one day (you'll be some 30 yrs older, and it may really happen)? So the use for kids is obvious - they supply the humankind with new material while the old is slowly dying off. As somebody already said kids are our future, so we should take care of them, and show them the way when we have the opportunity.
As for myself, I'm the youngest child from the family so dont have any experience with taking care of them, but Im sure you can learn how to handle them. Especially the youngest ones sometimes make me feel afraid when I have to hold them etc. BuIt I'm looking fwd to having kids, mostly because Im curious what motherhood feels like.
there is no coincidence

bill142

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:13 pm

Sure I like kids when they're not:

shitting
pissing
crying
screaming
misbehaving

and my favourite part about them

being able to give the back to their parents all hypo and full of new bad habits.

57AZ

Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:59 pm

I don't mind kids. What I do mind are parents who should not be parents-neglecting the kids and their behavior. If you're in a restaurant or other public place and the kids start screaming, don't just sit there pretending that something isn't happening-take them outside/to the bathroom and address the problem. What I really hate is seeing kids getting caught up in a legal tug of war between mom and dad. For some divorcees, joint custody works out peachy keen but for many its drawn out agony.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

777ER
Crew

Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:24 pm

I really enjoy being with kids, well I should as I've recently spent nine weeks working at a kids summer camp in the USA.

Hey guess what......you were once a kid also

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 41):
I'll watch kiddie movies even if there are no kids around, actually

I enjoy kids movies, especially when I saw the movie 'cars' after it first came out in the USA. Couldn't stop laughing, even during the little kids aged jokes that was said

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 43):
being able to give the back to their parents all hypo and full of new bad habits.

Or having the kids parents asking me at the end of camp "what have you done to my son/daughter or kids". I usually say "spare a thought for me then" or "more like what have they done to me" and saying it while I'm pretending to be in pain.

I've lost count on how many times I was told by parents or my co-counselors that I would make an excellent parent one day or the kids just love you. I'm wanting to start working with kids at my local church soon.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

andessmf

Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:48 pm

Quoting Zruda (Reply 42):
but Im sure you can learn how to handle them.

And that learning never stops. One thing you realize as soon as you become a parent, is how you learn as you go. After all, no one has invented a good parent manual, yet.

57AZ

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:15 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 46):
One thing you realize as soon as you become a parent, is how you learn as you go. After all, no one has invented a good parent manual, yet.

And even if they did, you'd find out that you had the one model that the manual didn't fully address. Kids have unique personalities, that's what makes them so great.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

andessmf

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 47):
And even if they did, you'd find out that you had the one model that the manual didn't fully address

That is so totally right! And once you manage to deal with one thing, they come up with another thing to keep your life interesting.

ScarletHarlot

Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:38 am

I don't much like kids. I'm definitely not one of those women who coo and go gaga over babies and children. I like some kids, but only a small percentage. And if a child has a personality that rubs me the wrong way, I don't feel bad about not liking them...I won't keep being around them just because they're a kid.

Now cats...I've never met a cat I didn't like! Or a kitten I didn't instantly melt over. I guess all my maternal instincts go toward cats.  Smile

I have a sneaking sympathy for Greg...I hate it when people try to convince me to like children. I really just don't enjoy being around them, and I don't see why I should have to be.
But that was when I ruled the world