This excellent posting by astuteman deserves its own thread:
Qantas 777 Or A340 (by AeroplaneFreak Sep 18 2006 in Civil Aviation)
If you take everything you read on the site as Gospel...
* The A340-300 is the most inefficient aircraft in the world, ever.
* The A340-500 is easily 400% more expensive to run than the 777LR.
* The A340-600 is easily 400% more expensive to run than the 777-300ER.
* The A380-800 has a much higher CASM than the 747-8I.
* Every single airline in the world divides into three categories = 1 - Smart airlines (ie: Boeing users), 2 - Dumb airlines (ie: mixed fleet), 3 - Really Dumb airlines (ie: Airbus users)
* Engine and MX commonality is more important that anything, ever.
* "Because it looks cool" is a perfectly valid reason for buying a new plane, as long as its a Boeing.
* No airline that operates A340s has made a profit - ever, ever.
* All 777 users are extremely profitable.
* Airbus state-aid is wrong, immoral, anti-competitive, and Dangnammit, i'm not standing for it!
* Boeing state aid exists only so that it can compete with Airbus.
* No Boeing has ever been bought due to political pressures from the US Government.
* No Airbus has ever been bought without political pressures from the EU Governments.
* The 748I is successful - FACT.
* Airline CEOs come on the forums all the time and take notes from all the wonderful knowledge on here. Some decisions, such as the recent DL 777LR "buy" can be attributed soley to a-net lobbying.
* A-net is the world authority on whether airlines are successful or not, even if the company's accounts are in disagreement.
* If you cant quote something with a respected source, it is not true.
* Richard Aboulafia is in fact the second coming of Christ. He is completely unbiased.
* Airbuses are dangerous because the pilot does not fly it - he merely makes suggestions that may or may not be acted upon by the Fly By Wire system.
* Airbuses are dangerous because they all have plastic tailfins that come off for no reason.
* No Boeings have plastic tailfins and are therefore safer.
* IranAir should not be allowed to buy any new planes as they are all terrorists.
* Emirates will go bust in two or three years because of all those A380s.
* Hub and spoke is a daft idea because a-net says so.
* Nobody here voted for George W Bush. Honestly.
* 100 hrs on FS2004 is a perfectly valid qualification for argueing with PhilSquares, Zeke, Pihero, E-Jazz and the rest about how to fly a plane.
* Many people here have extremely successful sex lives.
* Being a First Class Member means you are more right than a Scum Class member on any issue at any time.