Superfly
Topic Author

Rock Groups You'd Like To See Get Back Together

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:46 pm

For me ironically are two bands from my native Chicagoland area.
Chicago and STYX
Technically both bands are still around playing the county fair circuit. I refuse to see these bands in there current lineup.

I was lucky to see STYX on one of there last tours in 1996 (Return To Paradise Tour).
It was one of the last tours with Dennis DeYoung.
Dennis DeYoung WAS STYX!
He was the creative force that made the band successful. It’s sad that the remaining members James Young and Tommy Shaw (not and original member) kicked out Dennis DeYoung over creative differences. In 1984, STYX broke up and DeYoung, Shaw and young all went solo. The only member to have any success as a solo artist was Dennis DeYoung. Tommy Shaw and James Young failed miserably and some of there material is almost embarrassing to listen to. It’s AWFUL!
Long story short, the weakest link of STYX (James Young along with Tommy Shaw) won rights to the name STYX in 2001.
Dennis DeYoung has no rights to the band he founded and made a success.
There was a reunion in 1990-1997. After that was when the band started having legal issues with one another. Kind of lame since it was after there hey-day.
Sadly the original drummer John Panazzo died in 1996 and the original bassist Chuck Panazzo is dying of AIDS.

In the case of Chicago. This band has a rich history and has been around since 1967 and released there first album in 1969. Of the 7 original members, 6 are still alive and healthy! The one member who died (Terry Kath) died in 1978 and the band still managed to have several multi-platinum albums after his passing. This is remarkable considering the amount of drugs these guys used.
Peter Cetera left the band and went solo in 1985 and the bands original drummer (Daniel Seraphine) was kicked out in 1990. That was a stupid idea on the bands part.

Today in 2006, both Chicago and Peter Cetera are on the county fair circuit. I think this band should bury the hatchet and all get back together again. They could put on a great show. I am not a big fan of Peter Cetera’s replacement (Jason Scheff). Imagine if Michael Bolton went to school to sound like Peter Cetera, Jason Scheff is what you get. That is not a good thing.  no 
Bring back the Concorde

Clogman

RE: Rock Groups You'd Like To See Get Back Together

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:54 pm

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

deltagator

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:20 pm

Quoting Superfly (Thread starter):
The only member to have any success as a solo artist was Dennis DeYoung. Tommy Shaw and James Young failed miserably and some of there material is almost embarrassing to listen to. It’s AWFUL!

Come on now...you're overlooking Tommy Shaw's work in Damn Yankees.  Wink

I would like to see Styx back together but really only for their old music. I think any attempt at making new music would be horrible.

I've always like Chicago but was very disappointed when I saw them on the Today Show earlier in the year (maybe a month or so back) when they didn't have a horn section. WTF?! Chicago was all about the horns. Bury the hatchet and get back together but as with Styx, don't make new music but rather stick to the old stuff.

Other bands I'd like to see get together again.

Guns 'n' Roses
Jefferson Airplane (not that silly little Starship crap)
The Yardbirds though under which lineup would be tough to figure out.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

itsjustme

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:27 pm

Rock Groups You'd Like To See Get Back Together

Pink Floyd

Clogman

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:27 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 2):
Guns 'n' Roses

They are back together again. They even played at Roskilde Festival this year.

deltagator

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:29 pm

Quoting Clogman (Reply 4):
They are back together again. They even played at Roskilde Festival this year.

A fat ass Axl Rose by himself doesn't count. Slash must be part of any GNR for me to see it as legitimate.

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 3):
Pink Floyd

Roger Waters' massive ego will never allow it.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

ANCFlyer

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:46 pm

Preferably playing their old music . . . Come Sail Away, Lady, etc. I definitely preferred the older music . . . from the 1970s/early 1980s.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

cfalk

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:00 pm

Pink Floyd - But as Gator said, Waters is just too hard to get along with, especially for the other 3 members who have nothing left to prove to anyone by putting up with it.

Led Zeppelin - John Bonham's son is a pretty damned good drummer in his own right, and can fill Daddy's shoes quite nicely.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

DAL767400ER

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:14 pm

Nirvana...

...oh, wait  devil .

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 5):
A fat ass Axl Rose by himself doesn't count.

Parts of that guy aren't even original Axl Rose  Wink .

Clogman

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:22 pm

A fat ass Axl Rose by himself doesn't count. Slash must be part of any GNR for me to see it as legitimate.

Allright that I can agree with you. But I didnt see it. So I dont know how they played.

itsjustme

RE: Rock Groups You'd Like To See Get Back Togethe

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:27 pm

Roger Waters' massive ego will never allow it.

The hell with Roger Waters. I saw 'Floyd' in '94 in MI on successive nights and they were unbelievable without Mr. Waters and his ego. Also, I don't know if you caught their performances at the Live 8 benefit but Waters sounded terrible. David Gilmour, on the other hand, sounded as good then as he did 25 years ago.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 6):

Preferably playing their old music . . . Come Sail Away, Lady, etc. I definitely preferred the older music . . . from the 1970s/early 1980s.

I've seen Styx roughly 6 times since moving to CA in 2000 and they've sounded as crisp as they did in the 70's (I'm not nearly as old as you ANC so my memory is based on listening to cassettes, not their actual live performances). The last time I saw them, they were at at the House of Blues in Anaheim in 2004, I think it was, and about 30% of their songs was new stuff and it totally sucked. And the crowd let them know it, too.

deltagator

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:29 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 7):
Led Zeppelin - John Bonham's son is a pretty damned good drummer in his own right, and can fill Daddy's shoes quite nicely.

That's a tough one. He did play with them briefly or for just one show right back in the 80s IIRC. Kind of hard to replace John Paul Jones though with his bass playing. It just woudn't feel right to me for some strange reason.

spacemanspiff

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:09 pm

i want blink 182 again!!
i am a weirdo from outer space

LHMark

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:10 pm

Talking Heads- my all-time favorite band

The Replacements
http://www.sincitysounds.com/freebies/wallpaper/replacements.jpg

The Jam, minus Paul Weller's awful soul music kick
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

yooyoo

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:13 pm

Queen.

But that would be a little difficult.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

Banco

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:17 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 13):
The Jam, minus Paul Weller's awful soul music kick

Yes, I'd like to see that too. I did catch Bruce Foxton playing with the Casbah Club a couple of months ago though.

My impossible dream would be to see the Clash reform. But what with Joe Strummer sadly no longer being with us.... (and I am so glad I got see him play before he died).
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

deltagator

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:13 pm

Quoting Spacemanspiff (Reply 12):
i want blink 182 again!!

Out of the gene pool! How dare you compare Blink 182 to some of the groups listed in this thread. They've only been on "hiatus" for a year or so. Get back to us when they still get airplay in 20 years.

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 13):
Talking Heads

Ooohhh...forgot this one. Very good choice but I think we all know David Byrne's ego will get in the way. The other members have gone on the record as saying such many times. Still a great band though and so far ahead of their time.

vikkyvik

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:20 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 14):
But that would be a little difficult.

Indeed. Same with the band that I would want to see: Pantera.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

KBOS

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:51 pm

The J. Geils Band......
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

deltagator

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:57 pm

Wham!

Signed,

AeroWesty

NoUFO

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:59 pm

Talking Heads

10,000 Maniacs
(I know they still exist, but they aren't the band they were when Natalie Merchant was still a member, and I don't particularely like her solo work)

Weather Report
I support the right to arm bears

cfalk

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 11):
That's a tough one. He did play with them briefly or for just one show right back in the 80s IIRC. Kind of hard to replace John Paul Jones though with his bass playing. It just woudn't feel right to me for some strange reason.

But Jones is still alive, thus still available for a reunion.

Banco

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:22 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 21):

Indeed he is; though extremely irritated that the other two have not invited him to any of their get togethers.

dba4u

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:28 pm

deltagator

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 22):
Quoting Cfalk (Reply 21):

Indeed he is; though extremely irritated that the other two have not invited him to any of their get togethers.

I just realized I am thinking of John Entwhistle from The Who. Thanks for setting me straight.

BHMNONREV

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:33 pm

Dennis DeYoung WAS STYX!
He was the creative force that made the band successful. It’s sad that the remaining members James Young and Tommy Shaw (not and original member) kicked out Dennis DeYoung over creative differences. In 1984, STYX broke up and DeYoung, Shaw and young all went solo. The only member to have any success as a solo artist was Dennis DeYoung. Tommy Shaw and James Young failed miserably and some of there material is almost embarrassing to listen to. It’s AWFUL!

Dennis was certainly the creative genius behind Styx, but it was Tommy Shaw who pushed them over the top when he arrived and they released Crystal Ball in '76. Shortly after The Grand Illusion was released in late '77, Styx was the most popular band in the US. You could tune in to KSHE in St. Louis and hear "Come Sail Away" being aired numerous times every day. Pieces of Eight, Cornerstone, and Paradise Theater were all excellent works, but when DeYoung came up with the Roboto crap, he had totally lost his mind....

santosdumont

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:20 am

"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

Saloth Sar

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:48 am

Beatles
Lynyrd Skynrd
Allman Brothers Band
The Who
Led Zeppellin
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Beach Boys
Jan and Dean

yooyoo

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:50 am

I forgot to mention Midnight Oil
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

Banco

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:57 am

Quoting Saloth Sar (Reply 27):
The Who

Er. They're currently in the middle of their first ever true world tour and have a new album set for release on 31st October.

Cadet57

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:00 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 29):
Er. They're currently in the middle of their first ever true world tour and have a new album set for release on 31st October.

Yea, infact my friend just saw them in boston :P
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

2H4

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:04 am

Luna

I miss them...

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

vikkyvik

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:09 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 30):
Yea, infact my friend just saw them in boston

Damn! That means I missed them....

Saw them when they were (finally) touring for Quadrophenia (sp?) in '98 or so. Awesome show.

I dunno what it would be like without John Entwistle, though....He pulled off the most incredible bass solo I've ever seen. All without moving anything but his fingers. Unbelievable.

~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Banco

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:19 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 32):
Damn! That means I missed them....

Here's the schedule:

https://tickets.thewhotour.com/

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 32):
I dunno what it would be like without John Entwistle, though....

Not the same, obviously. But Pino Palladino is a good replacement. And they're playing lots of the new stuff too.

[Edited 2006-09-19 18:23:45]

leigh pilgrim

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:20 am

- Pink Floyd (And by that I mean Gilmour, Wright and Mason, although having Waters there would be a treat!)

- Genesis, (any line up would be brilliant!!!!)

YHMYYZspotter

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting Leigh pilgrim (Reply 34):
- Genesis, (any line up would be brilliant!!!!)

Genesis WITH Peter Gabriel. Now that would be amazing to see. And there are rumours.. Mind you small.. but they could be reuniting in 2008.

Selling England By the Pound
Foxtrot
Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

mmmmmm.....

slider

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:26 am

Jimi Hendrix Experience

That would be quite a problem given that the ONE person who makes the Jimi Hendrix Experience the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Mr. Jimi Hendrix, isn't with us anymore.

Allman Brothers Band

They're still around, albeit on a different iteration from what they were. Of course, the original formula wasn't around for all that long, really either and they've always had some musical chairs (no pun intended) with the lineup since the death of Duane Allman.

Derek Trucks, Butch Trucks' son, is playing with them these days too.

They're still rockin.

YHMYYZspotter

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:33 am

Allman Brothers Band

I saw the Allman Brothers Band open up for Tom Petty at Darien Lake in August. They sounded awesome. I reallly enjoyed the show.

cfalk

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:47 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 29):

While The Who depend greatly on the unique songwriting of Pete Townsend, their sound was mostly the combination of Kieth Moon and John Entwistle, who are both dead. Sorry, but the Who as it is today sounds almost like a cover band. (and you are talking to a HUGE Who fan here)

Superfly
Topic Author

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 25):
but when DeYoung came up with the Roboto crap, he had totally lost his mind....

That was just one song that didn't go over well with the diehard fans. Overall, 'Kilroy Was Here' is a great album. It's not like all his material after that album sounded like that. When STYX came back together in 1990 for 'Edge Of The Century', it Dennis DeYoung's song 'Show Me The Way' was the only hit. The only James Young song was total crap.
If you want to hear someone who has lost there mind, pick up a copy (if you can find it), 'JY Cityslicker'!
That was James Young's only solo album and it is terrible! Luckily for me it was in the freebie bin.

Come on now...you're overlooking Tommy Shaw's work in Damn Yankees.

I meant to include that but it was late and I was tired so I got lazy.  Smile

I saw them on the Today Show earlier in the year (maybe a month or so back) when they didn't have a horn section. WTF?!

Oh my gosh, I am glad I missed that!  Wow!
That is just retarted! That would mean the only original guy wold have been Robert Lamm. The horns are all the original guys. Of course a trombone player from a well known rock group would have little sucess going solo.

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 10):
about 30% of their songs was new stuff and it totally sucked. And the crowd let them know it, too.

I am glad the fans let them know it.
Bring back the Concorde

columba

It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

Banco

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:54 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 38):
While The Who depend greatly on the unique songwriting of Pete Townsend, their sound was mostly the combination of Kieth Moon and John Entwistle, who are both dead. Sorry, but the Who as it is today sounds almost like a cover band. (and you are talking to a HUGE Who fan here)

The sound was all four of them, in their different ways. What made them unique was the "rhythm" section, which was in reality a lead section.

Of course it isn't the same band it was. It doesn't even pretend to be. But they still put on some of the best shows around, and given the quite extraordinary history of the group, a band that might yet have something of interest today. If you listen to what the remaining two say, they more than acknowledge the change in them.

A fascinating pair of interviews here:

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1871523,00.html

9V

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:57 am

The one band I would have liked to have seen get back together again would have been Crowded House. Unfortunately Paul Hester, a brilliant drummer, was suffering from depression and took his own life March 26, 2005.
 crying 

NoUFO

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting YHMYYZspotter (Reply 35):
Genesis WITH Peter Gabriel. Now that would be amazing to see.

As much as I like to listen to early Genesis, I actually hope Peter Gabriel continues his solo career.

Quoting YHMYYZspotter (Reply 35):
And there are rumours.. Mind you small.. but they could be reuniting in 2008.

Forget it. Those rumours come up once in a while, but hell will freeze over before Gabriel, who is constantly looking forward and isn't even interested in listening to Genesis revival bands, will join Genesis again. You only need to watch his facial expressions when an interviewer asks a Genesis-related question: Bored and tired. He clearly thinks those questions are tedious, and I think he's right. What's over is over.
I support the right to arm bears

YHMYYZspotter

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:44 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 43):

Forget it. Those rumours come up once in a while, but hell will freeze over before Gabriel, who is constantly looking forward and isn't even interested in listening to Genesis revival bands, will join Genesis again. You only need to watch his facial expressions when an interviewer asks a Genesis-related question: Bored and tired. He clearly thinks those questions are tedious, and I think he's right. What's over is over.

Ahhhhh such a dream crusher  Sad HAHA no but you are right. I don't think I see them reuniting either. Such a shame. I am 25 but wish I was around for the late 60's and 70's so I could have seen all these bands in concert!

rammstein

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:49 am

Black Sabbath  Yeah sure

The message you were about to post is too short and blah blah blah
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

VonRichtofen

Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:07 am

New Kids On The Block  cloudnine 

signed,
AirPacific747

CastleIsland

Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:26 am

Blind Faith
Jefferson Airplane
ELP
Procol Harum
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

fbgdavidson

Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:40 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 10):
The hell with Roger Waters. I saw 'Floyd' in '94 in MI on successive nights and they were unbelievable without Mr. Waters and his ego. Also, I don't know if you caught their performances at the Live 8 benefit but Waters sounded terrible. David Gilmour, on the other hand, sounded as good then as he did 25 years ago.

You're not wrong! Watching the clip below from Live 8 puts chills down my spine, David Gilmour knows how to play the guitar  biggrin  I've got the 'Pulse' album and play it pretty heavily and when I heard Pink Floyd as an entireity were playing Live 8 I thought they might be disappointing. I couldn't have been further from the truth. At the end of it I about fell off my chair!

While Waters has an enormous ego David Gilmour is about as modest as they come. Just watch how he puts the guitar down and says goodnight as if he was just leaving the pub, and just a few seconds after playing the guitar solo to own all other guitar solos  bigthumbsup  (Sorry I just love Gilmour taking on 'Comfortably Numb')

"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

bushpilot

Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 8):
Nirvana...

I will always wonder what would have happened. I wish this were the case, but I think they were getting towards the limits of thier genius before Kurt took his life.

With the original line up for sure: The Smashing Pumpkins