speedbird747BA

Official Formula 1 Thread

Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:13 am

since the general consensus was to get a seperate F1 thread, here its is.... If you want the previous discussion go to Ultimate EPL And Formula 1 Thread! (by Speedbird747BA Sep 19 2006 in Non Aviation) to get it. Happy Racing  Smile

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

bill142

RE: Official Formula 1 Thread

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:35 pm

Well we are in for an exciting end to the season. The trophy is up for the taking and unfortunatley it won't be a McLaren driver holding it. Alonso will regain his cool and take the show to Schumacher with Ferrari loosing out once again.

ba757

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:08 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 1):
Alonso will regain his cool and take the show to Schumacher with Ferrari loosing out once again.

I hope so!

Now where is James, Emrecan etc... to say otherwise?  Wink

Adam

P.S. Is Cornish still banned? He seems quiet.

kaddyuk

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:26 pm

Quoting BA757 (Reply 2):
I hope so!

I thought you were red Adam...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

airbusA346

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:33 pm

Quoting BA757 (Reply 2):
Is Cornish still banned? He seems quiet.

Yes, he is still banned.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

ba757

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:40 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 3):

Nope!

Only time I'll be red is if when Ferrari win the championship this year and I am slightly pissed off.

Adam

kaddyuk

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:45 pm

I wish that Ron Dennis keeps Lewis Hamilton in a Test Driver role for the 2007 season. He's far to inexperienced to be racing with the big boys. And Pedro De La Rosa is doing fine at the moment. He can certainly "Hold His Own". Championship winning material he may not be. But he is reliable and accountable. McLaren may loose both those qualities in Hamilton if they race him next year.
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

bill142

Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:14 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 3):

Only if McLaren is red...

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 6):
I wish that Ron Dennis keeps Lewis Hamilton in a Test Driver role for the 2007 season. He's far to inexperienced to be racing with the big boys. And Pedro De La Rosa is doing fine at the moment. He can certainly "Hold His Own". Championship winning material he may not be. But he is reliable and accountable. McLaren may loose both those qualities in Hamilton if they race him next year.

I totally agree. Hamilton has only just started his first proper F1 test this week. Getting thousands of kilometers of testing behind him during the winter and througout 2007 will help him hone his skills. Fernando Alonso spent a year on the sidelines doing testing and look where he's gotten. Although Hamilton may chuck a tanty and leave McLaren as his contract with the team expires at the end of the year, but in my opinion he would be stupid to run out on a team like McLaren.

Pedro has proven himself in races and has the race experience to support Alonso. Paffett has the test experience, but lacks then race expereince that De La Rosa can bring to the team.

emrecan

Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:36 pm

BA757:

Hi Adam,

I am sorry I was in the States for my vacation and I couldn't join the threads for a while. unfortunately I couldn't watch the Italian GP but I am happy Balonso couldn't finish.

I heard what he said about Schumi is really stupid. He doesn't deserve any respect.
Balonso is 2nd Villeneuve. Last year he won the title by his chance and Kimi's unluck. But this year I am sure he will not win the title. I am sorry for Mercedes that they took him  Sad

Next year will be great for Ferrari funs. With Kimi , we will be very happy I am sure.

For the legend Schumi, we will miss you a lot and noone can fill your place

speedbird747BA

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:27 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 6):

checkmark  Exactly, btw, congratulations to Kubica. He did a great job in Italy.

Quoting Emrecan (Reply 8):
For the legend Schumi, we will miss you a lot and noone can fill your place

I second. Whatever anyone says about schumi, he was a great driver, and it wont be the same without his competition. I put 5$ on Michael to win the championship this year.

Cheers,
Kyle

jamesbuk

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:23 am

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Balonso is such a well twit basically. It's just the fact that he's only a remotely good driver if his car works, if it doesnt hes either out of the race or hes down the grid and stays in the same place. Schumi he works for it no matter how far down. I have to say after what he said ive lost every tiny little bit of respect i had for him.

Rgds --James--

Btw you guys you may aswell admit schumi will win this year!
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

speedbird747BA

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:41 am

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 10):

checkmark  Well said!!

Cheers,
Kyle

ba757

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:18 am

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 4):
Yes, he is still banned.

That makes sense - how do you know if someone is still banned or not? Anyway, any idea what he said to get banned?

I am happy Balonso couldn't finish.

I thought you might be!

Balonso is 2nd Villeneuve.

Oh come on, that's a bit of a harsh statement.

It's just the fact that he's only a remotely good driver if his car works, if it doesnt hes either out of the race or hes down the grid and stays in the same place. Schumi he works for it no matter how far down.

Not always so. Michael's car wasn't working last season - what did he achieve? One lousy 'win' at Indy.

I have to stick up for Alonso, so what he said some negative stuff about Schumacher, it's not like Schumacher is perfect is it?

All the drivers spout crap off like this - Irvine was the master at it. It's good for F1, it adds to the entertainment factor.

Adam

bill142

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:10 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 12):
All the drivers spout crap off like this - Irvine was the master at it. It's good for F1, it adds to the entertainment factor.

Agreed. F1 needs personalities who aren't afraid to speak their mind.

Duff44

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:16 am

Question of the day:

If Schumi wins his eighth, who gets the #0 on their Ferrari next year: Massa or Raikkonen?

Keep in mind, ONLY the World Driving Champion can use #1 (unless he's being temporarily subbed for), and Damon Hill used #0 for 1993 and 1994.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

bill142

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 14):
If Schumi wins his eighth, who gets the #0 on their Ferrari next year: Massa or Raikkonen

toss a coin. I don't know who. Perhaps the driver who finnishes higher in the championship, which would probably be Massa.

legoguy

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:18 pm

It's just the fact that he's only a remotely good driver if his car works, if it doesnt hes either out of the race or hes down the grid and stays in the same place.

Maybe abit harsh. If any driver's car does not work properly when I doubt they can improve on their grid positions during they're race. Also, he recently just proved you wrong....he made a fantastic qualifying lap at Monza with a damaged car to get him 5th on the grid. (although the damage was not too bad)  Silly

Even though the damage he sustained was the result of his mistake, from memory, he has only made afew mistakes in the last 2 years. Once here in qualifying, and once at the Canadian Grandprix last year, costing him his race.

But yes I will agree his outburst at Schumacher was a little strange but hey, makes great entertainment for the last 3 races  Smile

Im just noticing now that China is 10 days away! Damn! I thought there was a grandprix this weekend! Umph!  Sad
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

bill142

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:43 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 16):
Im just noticing now that China is 10 days away! Damn! I thought there was a grandprix this weekend! Umph!

same. I'm brutally unimpressed as well. And I suppose that Japan is 1 week later which is the same weekend as the Bathurst 1000 which means a compressed coverage after the race *humph*

mauriceb

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:08 pm

Guy's what about the new Spyker look? (ex-Midland) they will already drive next GP:

http://www.telesport.nl/autosport/63...pyker-MF1_wordt_oranje.html?p=13,1

Personally im glad they changed the looks, because the old midland's really looked like McLarens.

Ps, they said they think they will invest as much money as Toyota and ferrari, within 2 years, but they think they can achieve more than Toyota (would be strange if they didn't  Wink) and i think they are right, because they build some great racing cars! (they were on the top at Le Mans)

bill142

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:48 pm

Quoting MauriceB (Reply 18):
Ps, they said they think they will invest as much money as Toyota and ferrari, within 2 years, but they think they can achieve more than Toyota (would be strange if they didn't ) and i think they are right, because they build some great racing cars! (they were on the top at Le Mans

I don't think so. They certainly don't have the resources of the like of Toyota and Ferrari ie being backed by large manufacturers. One thing which disadvantages Spyker is it's lack of engine. They will have to use customer engines next year, and it could be some years before they produce their own, which I think they will inevitabley do. I think they currently use customer engines for their road cars.

I hope their in for the long haul. It's good to see another niche manufacturer in the sport.

mauriceb

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:05 pm

Quote:
I don't think so. They certainly don't have the resources of the like of Toyota and Ferrari ie being backed by large manufacturers. One thing which disadvantages Spyker is it's lack of engine.

Well there is a discussion going on. They don't lack resources, but some investors wan't to use Ferrari motors (he also has a stake in ferrari) which will cost up to 148 million dollars a year, and the others wan't to use Cosworth motors (''only'' 8 million a year)

It isn't about the money, but more with relationships etc.

Im sure they will make F1 more competitive, not in the first 2 years, but after that they will certainly belong to the sub-top.

Im hoping this will finally means the end of all the take-overs which started with Arrows a couple of years back. We saw a lot of management changes, bu tnow only the owners will change an they are willing to put more money in the F1 then the other owners!

Holland is going to show why its finacially (average) the best running country of the EU.

bill142

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:29 pm

Quoting MauriceB (Reply 20):
Well there is a discussion going on. They don't lack resources, but some investors wan't to use Ferrari motors (he also has a stake in ferrari) which will cost up to 148 million dollars a year, and the others wan't to use Cosworth motors (''only'' 8 million a year)

When I say they lack the resources of toyota and ferrari, their R&D set ups won't be any where near as diverse as those of the big manufacturers and Ferrari has the ability to call on the resources of Fiat. Despite popular belief, money isn't the solution to all of a teams problems.

148 million seems a bit unreasonable. I don't think any other team which has used Ferrari engines would have paid remotely near that much. In my opinion they would be wise to get hold of some Mercedes engines and take on Lewis Hamilton for a season. That way they would probably get the engines at a discount and McLaren would get Hamilton in 2008 with some experience.

ba757

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:39 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 21):
In my opinion they would be wise to get hold of some Mercedes engines and take on Lewis Hamilton for a season. That way they would probably get the engines at a discount and McLaren would get Hamilton in 2008 with some experience.

Dave Richards Prodrive are allegedly going to be taking Mercedes power.

I wonder if Hamilton will test for a season with Mclaren, then have a season at Prodrive with Mercedes power to gain race experience.

Adam

bill142

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:50 pm

That's an entirely feasible option. Question is, will Lewis go for it? The kid seems pretty eager to get into the car. He should just settle down and let McLaren guide him otherwise hes going to turn into a nobody.

mauriceb

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:54 pm

Quote:
148 million seems a bit unreasonable

Well it was in the press release of Spyker when a journalist asked them  Smile

Ps, the drivers set-up will probably be Albers and De La Rosa,

Albers could go to McLaren, as they are in talks, but if he doesn't he will stay at this team. He's followed by more top teams (red bull, Toyota, and Renault)

If Albers go's, they are eyeing Trulli. They rather had Doornbos, but he's probably getting a seat with Red Bull (he's already driving the last 3 races, instead of klien, mainly because of his terrific free training times)

Yes , the Dutchies are moving into the F1, and im proud of that! 2 other Dutch youngsters are already testing with Super aguri and Toyota, while theire both only 18 and 20.

ba757

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:04 pm

Quoting MauriceB (Reply 24):
Albers could go to McLaren

£10 / 15EUR says Albers won't go to Mclaren.

It's just not going to happen.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 23):
That's an entirely feasible option. Question is, will Lewis go for it?

He should do. Prodrive will be a good team, mooted as the probable Mclaren B Team its probably his best option.

I can't think of anywhere he will get a race next season (other than perhaps Mclaren - but I am skeptical whether they would let him race straight away).

It is worth remembering however Raikkonen didn't do any testing, he didn't even have a Superlicence when he drove for Sauber for a few races, and look at him. Could Hamiliton do the same?

Adam

bill142

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:25 pm

Quoting BA757 (Reply 25):
It is worth remembering however Raikkonen didn't do any testing, he didn't even have a Superlicence when he drove for Sauber for a few races, and look at him. Could Hamiliton do the same?

I think Hamilton is in a differnt boat to Raikkonen. Kimi pretty much came from formula Renault to F1 which is a pretty big step. The FIA put him on probabation due to his lack of experience. Hamilton should get a super licence no worries once he has completed the required mileage in testing. Hamitlon's been through all the formulas. Sometimes you have to wonder what Peter Sauber was thinking, even tho Kimi has proved himself, you still have to wonder.

ba757

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:29 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 26):

Indeed, what I meant was, Raikkonen got a race seat in F1 with very little experience, both in racing and testing, unlike Lewis who has considerably more.

Adam

mauriceb

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:14 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 25):
£10 / 15EUR says Albers won't go to Mclaren.

It's just not going to happen.

Why not? he has a great Reputation with Mercedes from its DTM time, and when he entered F1, they actually wanted him as 3th driver, but he wanted to race. Now McLaren boss said he thinks Albers is a great driver and it could well be that he will be Alonso's partner next year.

Don't forget that he is 95% of the time faster then his team mate Monteiro, and always better then the super-aguri's.

Last GP, he even got Coulthard, but then he got some pit-lane problems.

jamesbuk

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:17 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 16):

Sorry, i kind of phrased that wrong. What i meant was when alonsos cant doesnt work, all he does is bitches and moans and whinges like a lil school girl but like your example of last year when ferrari were naff, schumi just said, dont worry we'll be back.

Rgds --James--  Smile
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

ba757

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting Bongo:

Just talk with some people Who are involved in the F1 and Indy races and they all agree by different sources that Montoya will be back to F1 next year with Renault. If this is true, some sort of penalty should be paid to Chip Gannasi to let him go, already a deal.
So I open the discussion, again it is just a rumor (some people likes rumors, some don´t)...What so you think?

Strong Gossip About F1 (by Bongo Sep 21 2006 in Non Aviation)

Hmm... I don't think JPM will be back.

Adam

Duff44

Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:29 am

Of interest: Spa revisions are about to begin. New F1 pit complex and revised 'bus stop' which now goes the other way!

Big version: Width: 550 Height: 440 File size: 56kb
Big version: Width: 550 Height: 440 File size: 60kb

Images from dailysportscar.com

bill142

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 27):
Indeed, what I meant was, Raikkonen got a race seat in F1 with very little experience, both in racing and testing, unlike Lewis who has considerably more

Hamilton does have more race experience, yes. But no F1 experience. I'm not sure McLaren would be willing to take a chance on a driver who hasn't gotten atleast a year of racing in F1 behind him. Raikkonen debuted for a mid field team, while McLaren are a consistent front runner (despite lack of success in recent years).

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 31):
Of interest: Spa revisions are about to begin. New F1 pit complex and revised 'bus stop' which now goes the other way!

Whats the difference? I can't tell. The pit complex looks the same and the bus stop dosn't look dramatically different

legoguy

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:24 am

Wow that start finish line has changed quite abit! Theres no more curve just before the finish line! And the bus stop has changed dramatically as well. How many times has it changed in the past 7 years!?!?!

It looks a little bit like the Austrian A1 ring! (well only the 1st corner, if you imagine it going up hill...  Smile )

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 29):

Yea I gotcha  Smile
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

Duff44

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:55 am

The whole pit complex is bigger, with better facilities and a wider, longer pit lane.

The current pit lane doesn't start until just before the red thing over the s/f line, to give a reference. AFAIK, the right-left corner before the pits is only that... there's no left-right before it.

bill142

Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:13 am

It looks like a pretty tight set of corners. And Legoguy is right, the front straight is straight, rathern the curved.

Are they only just starting these mods? I though the whole reason they were excluded this year was because they were doing the mods during the year. Hopefully it will be ready in time for the race next year.

HKGKaiTak

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:33 pm

I wonder if the braking approach to the Bus Stop is now straight. It's not that great a passing place if the slight right hand kink stays.

Doesn't look like it's a slow chicane either, I wonder how good a passing place it will be. Personally I like the Bus Stop because it is very unique.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 17):
same. I'm brutally unimpressed as well. And I suppose that Japan is 1 week later which is the same weekend as the Bathurst 1000 which means a compressed coverage after the race *humph*

Agreed. And I would be in Canberra next weekend so I probably won't get to see the race live.  Sad

As for the Bathurst weekend, the least Ten could do is show the whole race at a later date delayed, say on a Monday night, not the stupid highlights package we got last time (made worse by the fact they didn't tell us that).

Let's hope Ten gets their act together next year now that they've lost the V8s.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 26):
Sometimes you have to wonder what Peter Sauber was thinking, even tho Kimi has proved himself, you still have to wonder.

IIRC Jenson Button was in the same boat when Frank Williams signed him up. At the other end of the spectrum is Yuji Ide, just because you've come through all the formulae doesn't mean you can drive in F1!

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 32):
I'm not sure McLaren would be willing to take a chance on a driver who hasn't gotten atleast a year of racing in F1 behind him. Raikkonen debuted for a mid field team, while McLaren are a consistent front runner (despite lack of success in recent years).

That's what I was thinking too. I think McLaren needs to farm Hamilton out somewhere else to make his Grand Prix debut, in the same way as Alonso was farmed out to Minardi. Looking back McLaren hasn't taken on anyone with no F1 experience since Michael Andretti ...

But, as Raikkonen, Button proved (as did Rosberg Jr to a certain extent), you don't necessarily need to have been a tester to shine.
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

Duff44

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:48 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 35):
Are they only just starting these mods?

The report I read said it will close at "the end of the year", and work will continue through June of next year. (Sorry, no link... paysite)

That means the mid-September date for the F1 race is a go ahead, and construction shouldn't interfere with the FIA GT Proximus 24 Hours in August. The LMS 1000km will be moved from its April date to sometime between FIA GT and F1 (If anyone other than me cares about that stuff...)

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 35):
I though the whole reason they were excluded this year was because they were doing the mods during the year.

I think there was an issue with the promoter as well, but I think Bernie and Co. are running the show now.

speedbird747BA

Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:03 am

alright......the big question?

who likes Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosely?
Personally i dont like bernie because hes become a billionare off selling the commercial rights for F1 for extortianate prices, and i dont like max because of the RIDICULOUS rules that he and the FIA have been coming up with, like freezing engine development and such....how stupid is that?!??!

Cheers,
Kyle

jamesbuk

Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:15 am

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Reply 38):
Personally i dont like bernie because hes become a billionare off selling the commercial rights for F1 for extortianate prices,

So you dont like the guy because he runs an extremely succesful company?!?!I like bernie in a way because he tells it how it is and is scared of no one but max is a bit twitish, all these BS rules are ruining it.

Rgds --James--

bill142

Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:05 am

Quoting HKGKaiTak (Reply 36):
Agreed. And I would be in Canberra next weekend so I probably won't get to see the race live

What on earth are you coming to this dump for?

Let's hope Ten gets their act together next year now that they've lost the V8s

I don't know. I think it will suffer as they've lost their core market essentially. More reality crap will come. With Fox Sports 3 starting next month It would be good if we could get it on there. I know during the whole debacle with 9 loosing their rights back in the late 90's Fox Sports showed the Malaysian GP as a one off.

But, as Raikkonen, Button proved (as did Rosberg Jr to a certain extent), you don't necessarily need to have been a tester to shine

This is true. But you have to look at the teams who have done this. Williams were in the doldrums untill the early 00s and had nothing to loose really. Same applies for this year, they lost BMW engines and needed a cheap driver. Sauber were pretty much always a mid field runner and had nothing to loose. McLaren on the other hand are a consistent front runner and always a title contender. They need two capable drivers. To be honest I'm surprised Renault went with Kovalanien.

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Reply 38):
Personally i dont like bernie because hes become a billionare off selling the commercial rights for F1 for extortianate prices, and i dont like max because of the RIDICULOUS rules that he and the FIA have been coming up with, like freezing engine development and such....how stupid is that?!??

Lets not forget that Bernies ownership of the rights have essentailly been pure profit. He got the rights for practically nothing.

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 39):
So you dont like the guy because he runs an extremely succesful company?!?!I like bernie in a way because he tells it how it is and is scared of no one but max is a bit twitish, all these BS rules are ruining it

I'm not disputing that Bernie is a good business man, but somewhere along the line he and Max Mosley just lost the plot. Formula 1 used to be about technological advancement and creativity. If you look at some of the things which teams have come up with to gain an advantage, they are quite creative. But alot of them have taken away from the driver, so obviously the FIA stepped in an took these things away. They also do some rather bizzare things which don't improve the show for the spectators at all.

As for Bernie, I'm only starting to see innovation from his end now. The display of telementry, team radio etc. In terms of broadcast standards Formula 1 has been left behind, as these sorts of things have existed in other series for years. Hardly innovation really.

Everyone involved, even the teams get so wound up in their little world that they forget about the audience. The pressures of big manufacturers expecting nothing but the best has caused them to forget about the people who turn up to the races, but clearly some one is doing something right as people keep turning up to races in record numbers.

bill142

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:23 am

so brutally unimpressed right now. 10 are delaying the Chinese GP until 11:40pm. MotoGP last week managed to score a live slot for the second week in a row. Grrr... thanks alot 10!. Just as well Monday is a public holiday here.

ba757

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:00 pm

South Korea to host race in 2010.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=37558

Yay, another boring Tilke circuit - isn't it about time someone else designed one?

Adam

bill142

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:04 pm

Singapore is aiming for 2008 (where they will run a race is beyond me) India is also on the sniff for a race and Japan is after a 2nd race. Could we see the shift to Asia because of more lax rules regarding tobacco advertising?

ba757

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:11 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 43):
Could we see the shift to Asia because of more lax rules regarding tobacco advertising?

I believe so personally, but Ecclestone puts the developing nations interest in the sport and booming car industry spin on it.

Adam

bill142

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:27 pm

Quoting BA757 (Reply 44):
I believe so personally, but Ecclestone puts the developing nations interest in the sport and booming car industry spin on it.

Yes, that's the spin. I think bernie needs to stop flogging the dead horse that is tobaccos advertising. The only team who will have tobacco sponsorship next season is Ferrari as it's highly likley that Renault won't continue on with Mild Seven and BAT have confirmed their pull out since the full sale of BAR to Honda.