ba757

Smacking Kids - A Good Or Bad Thing?

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:23 am

So... seeing as there is this program on TV tonight here about it, and with it been a topic that's had a lot of fuss made over it, I thought we could discuss it.

So are you against it or for it?

Personally, I was smacked as a child, and it's never done me any harm. It's a way of issuing discipline, and as long as it isn't bordering on abuse, I don't see a problem with it.

Adam

NeilYYZ

RE: Smacking Kids - A Good Or Bad Thing?

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:27 am

I'm all for it. No question, when I was a kid I got spanked a few times to show that what I had done was wrong. I remembered that pain and humuliation, and never did it again. One or two quick whacks on the arse never killed anyone. Make it hurt and make it quick, it's something that needs to be done right after said action takes place, and there should be an explanation that follows.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

linco22

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:29 am

I think Discipline goes way deeper than smacking kids if they've done something wrong. But I would say its up to the parents wether they smack or not. I was smacked on the very odd occassion. But it hasn't effected me I dont think

LHMark

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:31 am

I think it's necessary and a useful disciplinary tool. But every time I get up to do it, the kid's parents give me one of those looks. Jesus. All I'm trying to do is enjoy my meal.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

ATAIndy

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:38 am

Yes, if they get out of line, they need to know about so they don't do it again. Smackin' works.
Boiler up! - Next flights: IND-MIA, MIA-IND

SlamClick

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:40 am

Not a good thing but sometimes a completely necessary thing.

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 3):
the kid's parents give me one of those looks.

Now why is it that it is the other peoples' kids that so often need a thump?

It used to be interesting (before it got boring) to watch groups in opposition slug it out verbally on television. The most heat, the most venom and anger was not between the NAACP and the KKK or between the ADL/JDL and the Nazis, it was between either animal rights or anti-spanking chowderheads and the rest of humanity. These people get WAY TOO worked up.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

We're Nuts

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:46 am

I think it feels great to smack a kid.
Dear moderators: No.

aloges

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:47 am

It's a bad thing, but sometimes excusable.

If you smack your tired three-year-old because he won't stop screaming while you drag him down Main Street, you make a mistake. The kid is at his limit, and he's got no other means of trying to make you stop driving him.
If you smack your five-year-old because she keeps roller skating indoors after you've told her several times that you need some silence, I can understand - but still, I probably wouldn't do the same.

disclaimer: genders allocated at random
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

9V

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:47 am

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 6):
I think it feels great to smack a kid

Then you really need to see a doctor.  Sad

checkraiser

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:49 am

Good or bad? It's a necessity. You can always spot the children that aren't whipped. They're the ones whose parents wind up calling that nanny TV show.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

ba757

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:50 am

Quoting 9V (Reply 8):
Then you really need to see a doctor.

Indeed, that's just weird.

Adam

nkops

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:53 am

Quoting BA757 (Thread starter):

All depends if they are yours or not!!!  biggrin 

I'm all for doing it, but not out of anger only. Of course, here if you smack a kid, DYFS might show up at your door!!
:evil:

ba757

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 11):
Of course, here if you smack a kid, DYFS might show up at your door!!

That's where things are wrong.
It's the parents choice, if they want to fine, if they don't, well that's their choice - but if they decide to, they shouldn't be prosecuted for it.

Adam

pawsleykat

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:02 am

Quoting 9V (Reply 8):

Exactly!

I don't think smacking is an acceptible punishment. I was only smacked once when I was a child and that was for something really bad. There are other ways to iscipline a child, but then again, that is my  twocents 

JG
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

A332

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:07 am

It shouldn't be the ONLY method of discipline employed by a parent... if someone has to resort to smacking their kids all of the time, they are not qualified to be a parent, period.

It should only ever be used in extreme circumstances...
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

USAFHummer

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:10 am

I wasn't spanked as a kid..my parents spanked my older brother once when he was a baby and forever felt really bad about it, and decided that wasn't the route of discipline for them with us...seeing as I didn't really turn out as a troublemaker, my parents did a good job raising me sans spankings...when I become a father, I plan to avoid spanking my kids as well...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Halcyon

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:18 am

Spanking can work. It worked on me, but I was only spanked a couple of times. A lot depends on the child, too. Some are disciplined better through a stern talking to (me) while others are "thick-headed" and get the point only with a smack on the bottom. (My brother.) I have a half-brother who was never disciplined as a child, besides being told "no," and he was one of the ones where only the physical would work. His mom would never do that, because she thought that he'd eventually "listen to reason," and that it was not proper to give him a spank once in a while...and now he's in prison.

So:
Ok sometimes, when the kid has violated a rule, and will understand the reason, but it's not necessarily the best idea for some/all kids.

cfalk

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:40 am

It worked for me. But it has to be rare. A kid who gets smacked around every week will soon grow callouses, and little will control him then. I got my ass whopped maybe a half-dozen times, maximum, and the message sank in every time.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Halcyon

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 17):
It worked for me. But it has to be rare. A kid who gets smacked around every week will soon grow callouses, and little will control him then. I got my ass whopped maybe a half-dozen times, maximum, and the message sank in every time.

Exactly. It should actually impress the point instead of just becoming another part of everyday life.

Daleaholic

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:48 am

Personally, I was smacked as a child, and it's never done me any harm. It's a way of issuing discipline, and as long as it isn't bordering on abuse, I don't see a problem with it.

Totally agree with you! I was also occasionally smacked and to be honest it worked, I never did stuff that would get me a smack again.

Discipline nowadays isn't what it was, kids get away with murder! Also the laxidaisical attitude of some of our previous generation has led to an increase in 'Chav culture', or as it may be known elsewhere 'Little Fu**ing Sh*ts'

Bring back the cane in school I say  Wink
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

allstarflyer

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:57 am

Personally, I was smacked as a child, and it's never done me any harm.

I earned more than I received. But my parents love for me was more apparent than their anger over things I did. That's the key.

I don't see a problem with it.

Nor do I.

Quoting Checkraiser (Reply 9):
It's a necessity

checkmark 
It's very refreshing to see that others here and I share the same views on this.

-R
Living the American Dream

raffik

Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:30 am

I watched the programme and was appalled at these people! The parents were all overbearing, over using smacking.

Only bad parents need to smack their kids! Violence breeds violence.
- Alec

deltagator

Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:32 am

A good swat on the ass can work wonders for keeping a kid in line.

My parents smacked and spanked me as a kid and while sometimes they went a bit too far I think I turned out ok. I was a pretty rotten kid and always sassing them for no apparent reason so I got what I deserved.

We were at the OB yesterday for my wife's ultrasound and some guy in there kept telling his kid "no thank you" when he tried to open the door to the office and go outside. His other kid started screaming at the top of his lungs when he wouldn't let him get off the couch. That went on for a good 15 minutes before we went in the back to meet the doctor.

Had that been me as a kid I would have been told once after going for the door and then either of my parents would have snatched my ass up in a bear trap.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Thom@s

Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:46 am

checkmark  Same here.

Quoting 9V (Reply 8):
I think it feels great to smack a kid

He's nuts, what do you expect...?

Thom@s  Wink
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

raffik

Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:56 am

Well, I guess it is different for different people.. but I don't think the use of violence is a necessary form of teaching your child good manners.

Violence is the last thing you want to demonstrate as being an effective tool for getting what you want! Instead, why don't you improve your communication with your child instead of raising your hand to them.

Very worrying. I was smacked rarely by my mother but I was caned at school and it is a particularly bad memory for me and I cannot say it was helped me one bit. If anything, it's made me anti violence.
- Alec

kmh1956

Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:58 am

I see no problem with an occasional swat on the behind. My sister and I were both occasionally swatted on the tush, and we turned out pretty well. My daughter had possibly three swats on the behind, and one on the back of her hand growing up, and she's a great kid!

[Edited 2006-09-22 00:59:09]
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

raffik

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 25):
and she's a great kid!

Most kids will turn out great anyway- even without being hit!
- Alec

bill142

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:10 am

Yes I was smacked as a child, but I was in no way ever abused or mistreated. I learnt the rammafications of misbehaving at a very young age.

cedars747

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:12 am

If i dont smack them now they will smack me later  scratchchin   yes 
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

A346Dude

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:18 am

I think it's a bad thing. By doing it, you are essentially teaching a child that violence is an acceptable way to solve a problem. The child learns not to repeat what he or she was smacked for - not because they recognize they were wrong, but because they fear the consequences if they do it again. Why should a child have to fear his or her parents?

I can't recall ever being smacked, yet I am still respectful and constantly mindful of others, and can tell right from wrong. I feel that hitting or spanking kids does more harm than good.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

Sabena332

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:52 am

Definitely a bad thing, my parents never smacked me but they had a special weapon which was called house-arrest, it was the worst of all for me. It helped...... at least a bit.  Wink

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

TedTAce

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:53 am

So are you against it or for it?

It's like anything else, moderation is important, and when it comes to kids consistency in message is important too.

My Kids know what a "Pow pow" is and they pretty much just need me to tell them as a reminder that dadda doesn't hold back when it's time to lay down the law. Starting early helped a lot, now if they do something wrong they stand up, apologize and try to rectify the situation.
This space intentionally left blank

JAGflyer

Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:28 am

No I do not feel it is acceptable. Too many parents will try to physically injure their kids if it is allowed. Allowing spanking is basically allowing a mother or dad to belt, cane or paddle their child as a form of child abuse. Sure, a disaplinary spank is good but too many parents will end up taking it too far. When I used to screw up my dad used to punish me emotionally. He wouldn't talk to me, he would isolate himself in his room and totally ignore me. It really bothered me and I would feel very guilty and I didn't do it again. My parents don't believe in spanking, but I do if it is in the intrest of the child.

I was never spanked as a child (my dad says once but I don't remember it). I still am very against overly physical abuse. I saw a girl of about 10-11 yo in a store with her mom a few weeks ago. The mom wanted to buy the girl a cheaper plastic recorder instead of paying $5 extra for a wooden one but the girl said she wanted the wooden one. The mom grabbed the girl by her arm and twisted it (i think, i dont remember exactly). I told her "excuse me, you do not touch your child that way in front of me". I wrote down the number for kids-help-fone and gave it to the girl (when she was alone).

[Edited 2006-09-22 02:36:05]
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

Halcyon

Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:48 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 32):
No I do not feel it is acceptable. Too many parents will try to physically injure their kids if it is allowed.

Explain to me how you're going to back this up? How does an abusive parent become parallel with a parent who wants to discipline their child without doing any real harm? That's like me saying:

When I used to screw up my dad used to punish me emotionally

"Yeah, well you'll turn kids into little Hannibal Lecters if you do that! Don't you know they also might grow up to psychologically abuse their own children!?!"

I was never spanked as a child (my dad says once but I don't remember it). I still am very against overly physical abuse

Spanking in moderation is NOT the same as abuse or trying to twist a child's arm off. Your lines of definition are off.

Lucas

JAGflyer

Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:01 am

What I mean is parents will say "oh spanking is legal, I'll spank my kid and because I want it to stick I'll do it hard enough to leave a mark/bruise". What my dad did was not a punishment so to speak but when he was upset he would do that and It just made me feel bad. It has nothing to do with Hanibal Lectuer. What I say is true and my opinion is very valid. Most people I have told about not legalizing spanking have agreed with my point.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

Halcyon

Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:06 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 34):
What I mean is parents will say "oh spanking is legal, I'll spank my kid and because I want it to stick I'll do it hard enough to leave a mark/bruise".

I suppose I don't live in Canada, but do you have sick minded people. If parents want to abuse their kids, it won't matter if it's legal or not. The people I know would never hurt kids, but would discipline them. The people you know should not have kids. Period.

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 34):
What my dad did was not a punishment so to speak but when he was upset he would do that and It just made me feel bad. It has nothing to do with Hanibal Lectuer.

As I've said before, some children do not need a spank, some do. It depends on how you respond to the world, I guess. I got few spankings as they aren't the best way of teaching me, my brother was different. We're both good kids now. Hope that clarifies Jag!  Smile
Cheers,
Lucas

767Lover

Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:23 am

No I do not feel it is acceptable.

Sure, a disaplinary spank is good but too many parents will end up taking it too far.

I think the thread is about "disaplinary" (sic) spanking, not abuse.

Cadet985

Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:45 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 11):
Of course, here if you smack a kid, DYFS might show up at your door!!

When I was about 6, I was with my mother in a restaurant. I was really being bad, and she was getting fed up. She had threatened to hit me. Now, I saw a police officer sitting behind her, so I got cocky (as only a 6-year-old can) and said "Go ahead and hit me. I'll call the police." At that point, the police officer turned around, and offered his baton to my mother. That shut me up REAL quick.

As to my opinion on this issue, I think ONE smack is okay, depending on what the kid did. If I see someone hitting their kid repeatedly, then you can bet I would call child welfare, as a concerned citizen.

Marc

ANCFlyer

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:02 pm

Without reading the thread first, and responding only to the question in the thread starter:

On the buttocks, and very, very rarely . . .

A good parent shouldn't have the need . . . problem is - I know here comes the  flamed  - there aren't enough good parents.

I can recall once specifically when I popped Miss Miranda on the butt. Perhaps I might have done so more than once - but only one time I specifically remember.

If you teach a child properly - from the womb - there really isn't a need to hit, or even to yell . . . and I don't know a single time I ever yelled at Miranda. Simply not necessary.

Now - do I think some little heathens deserve it - sure I do . . . but the little heathen's parents should get it first for having raised the child to a point that corporal punishment is necessary.

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 3):
I think it's necessary and a useful disciplinary tool. But every time I get up to do it, the kid's parents give me one of those looks. Jesus. All I'm trying to do is enjoy my meal.

rotfl 

Quoting Aloges (Reply 7):
If you smack your five-year-old because she keeps roller skating indoors after you've told her several times that you need some silence, I can understand - but still, I probably wouldn't do the same.

First, it's not the kids fault you need quiet . . .

That said: roller skating in the house???  no  no  no  Instead of smacking Junior the skates take the short trip to the trash heap. For every action there is a reaction . . . everything has a consequence. Skate in the house when it's verbotten and the skates go bye bye.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

greasespot

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:12 pm

Totally against....I was not spanked ever growing up and i turned out ok..But at the same time a spanking is not abuse...

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Roger136913

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:18 pm

Giving a kid a slap is not a problem unless it goes overboard.

Parents have to remember when to draw a line and not slap their child also. Kids today use it as a tool and call the Department of Social Servies and they have the edge over the Adults now.

My Son came home from School with a Black eye one day and as I called the School to find out what the story was I was called by the Department of Social Services. Yep they said it happened at home and I said noway he came home this way.

Well The Principal had already left the school and the Department of Social Services investigated and found out it did happen at school. The problem I had is they came over the same day it happened and felt they had the right to do as they please in my home. They walked through the kitchen and opened the cabinets and fridge and talked with my Son in another room.

The next day they talked with the school and found out it happened in Gym class as my son told the DSS. I then laid into them and told them they had the nerve to do as they please and if this ever happened again I would not be as nice.

Parents have no rights nowadays on how to disicpline their children. What is considered a spanking is against the law. I was spanked as a Kid and was told why and why it was needed.

I say if your child needs a spanking you should have the right, but one also needs to keep their head and not cause physical harm to your child. If any parent punches their child or hurts them then there is a problem.

ba757

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:09 pm

Thanks for all the responses so far, it is interesting to see what other peoples opinions are.

Adam

ryangooner

Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:22 pm

Quoting 9V (Reply 8):
Then you really need to see a doctor

Or maybe a Police Officer !

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

christeljs

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:48 pm

Quoting Linco22 (Reply 2):
I was smacked on the very odd occassion. But it hasn't effected me I dont think

You sure about that, Colin?
 Big grin
Christel A Photography

We're Nuts

Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:06 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 38):
and I don't know a single time I ever yelled at Miranda. Simply not necessary.

Chambering a round usually does get the message across quite clear.
Dear moderators: No.

skidmarks

Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:06 pm

Whatever your views on whether to smack or not, it is a fact that the level of discipline in schools and in homes has severly declined in the last 20 years or so. Coincidentally that is about the same time as the corporal punishment debate hotted up and these nice new PC rules about who can do what to who appeared.

And, strangely enough, the level of violent crime has increased, muggings, robbery with violence etc.

Draw your own conclusions, but, in my view and experience, a smack at the right time gives enough emphasis to discipline a child and keep them aware of the correct way to behave.

Since the decline in discipline there has been a steep decline in levels of manners and other social graces. Schools are completely helpless in the face of bullying and any unruly, recalcitrant children. Exclusion is the watchword. Good, you exclude a child who doesnt want to be there anyway. What a marvelous system.

I was a product of the mild punishment era and had my share of smacks for various reasons. To cliche it, it hasn't done me any harm. I don't want to beat people up, kill people or generally use violence to get my own way.

There HAS to be discipline and there HAS to be a system that punishes punitively. Neither is evident today.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

ORFflyer

Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:23 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 45):
Skidmarks

Check, check, and double check. Best response in the thread.

I had previously selected several comments from the thread, and quoted them all preparing to respond. The vast majority of the quotes I selected were from the same mindset as me on this subject - spanking on the butt for punishment is NOT violence or abuse. Cross that line and my views change dramatically.

One last quote and comment:

Quoting Raffik (Reply 24):
Very worrying. I was smacked rarely by my mother but I was caned at school and it is a particularly bad memory for me and I cannot say it was helped me one bit.

I disagree, it seems to have served it's purpose perfectly.....

Quoting Raffik (Reply 24):
If anything, it's made me anti violence.

AirPacific747

Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:26 pm

Depends on the child as well. I was also smacked from time to time when I was a kid, but I don't know whether it has had a good or a bad influence on me.

There's a lot to it. It's difficult just to say yes or no. I don't want to smack my own children when I get some later on but that is easy for me to say now.

Daleaholic

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting Raffik (Reply 21):
Only bad parents need to smack their kids! Violence breeds violence.

You are a tool of the highest order. What a stupid statement! Violence only breeds violence if the parent physically beats the child. A small smack should hurt enough to put the kid in their place, then it will be fine within a minute or so.

Don't talk rubbish, My Parent's smacked me when I did something pretty bad, they're not bad parents. If Anything, they helped me to know right and wrong. Don't open your mouth about other people's parents.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

HAWK21M

Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:55 pm

Within limits.Only if things get overboard.The Talking should def be Priority.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)