dtwclipper

It's Time For Clipper To Go

Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:59 pm

So after 14 years of a happy life, I think we have reached the point where I have to put Clipper down. Clipper is of course my 80 Lbs. pup.

He can no longer control himself (doggie depends are out of the question) and I think that he is somehow uncomfertable.

We have always had a kennel for him in the basement, for use when we had parties and such, but now for some reason he wants to spend all his time there. I think he feels safe in his kennel, but it is very strange. He has panic attacks and whines until I take him down to his "house".

We rescued him from the pound as an adult dog some 13 years ago. So he has had a great life. 3/4 of an acre to crap in, and a bed in everyroom, but I think it's time that we let him go.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

AirCop

RE: It's Time For Clipper To Go

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:02 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Thread starter):
We rescued him from the pound as an adult dog some 13 years ago. So he has had a great life

Still going to be tough to let him go  brokenheart 

futureualpilot

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:04 am

Hey, I'm real sorry to hear about your loss. I had to put my 14yr old German Shepherd down this summer too. It is tough, but he had the same issues as you described Clipper having. I hated letting my dog go, but even now I know that he is no longer in pain and struggling through day to day life. Know that it is best for him and you had 13 great years with him...remember those. My dog still makes me smile every day, and Im sure Clipper will do the same for you.
Life is better when you surf.

JGPH1A

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:05 am

Poor old dog - that's sad. But I guess he's had a good life. Sympathy all round.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Kieron747

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:09 am

but now for some reason he wants to spend all his time there

Sorry to hear that. My dog, Peggy lived to around about 13 years, and as she grew ill with cancer, she would just stay in her basket or under the kitchen table.

It was a tragic thing to see, as before she was such an animated dog. Near the end she seemed to lose all will to move about and went off her food. It may sound odd, but she seemed to become very forgetful and after a while she stopped recognising us.

We had her put down at the vets the next day, as it seemed really cruel to have her still alive, yet 'not there' in all mental respects. I think it was the best thing to do by her.

Of course for me and my family, it was a terrible time. I had grown up with Peggy, and missed her so much afterwards. I wished she'd had puppies in order to keep part of her alive, however that didn't happen.

I still think of her a lot.

Well, I hope all goes well for your family, it'll be a sad time.

Kieron747

[Edited 2006-09-22 17:10:23]
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

airlinelover

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:10 am

Sad Always sad to lose a member of the family. You gave him a home to be in and I'm sure he was grateful.

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

dtwclipper

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:11 am

Well I made an appointment for Monday....I think I'll go buy him a couple of Big Macs this weekend.

frequentflyer

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:18 am

Hey DTW:

I understand, this is overwhelming. Thanks for sharing the picture with us. what a beautiful dog. It is sad to have to do what you said, however, it is also respectful of Clipper's life.

Besides, I am convinced dogs understand many things we do, at times before we do them. He knows you do what's best for him.

Be strong

Pat
Take off and live

luv2fly

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:22 am

Sorry to hear this, it is never easy to have to do this, my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours during this most difficult time.
You can cut the irony with a knife

ORFflyer

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:48 am

Good looking dog there. Seems to have had a great owner, and I know you will miss him. Good luck, and my sympathies.

EA CO AS

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:59 am

Clipper has lived to the ripe old age of 14 under your loving care, and in the end that's a testament to the love you've shown him - and will continue to show him by this final act of love for him on Monday.

Heartbreaking nonetheless though. You have my sincere condolences on your impending loss.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

RobertNL070

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:01 am

Its always sad to lose a loved-one. That the loved-one has four legs instead of two doesn't make it any easier. Try to draw comfort from the thirteen or so good and happy years.

Sympathies, Robert
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

airxliban

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:25 am

I'm sorry to hear that DTWClipper. He seems a lovely dog and you can take pride in the fact that you've given him a loving home to live in for the last 13 years. There's nothing like the companion of a dog.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

CastleIsland

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:05 am

I know the feeling. It's hard, but you know when it's the right thing to do. Hang in there.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

TedTAce

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:09 am

Sorry DTW, but you are right, it's time. Trust me, I'm sure Clipper wants you to remember the fun, not his current state. Peace.
This space intentionally left blank

Femme

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:26 am

DTW

Very sad time for you, and I know Monday will be a very tough day but remember you were there for Clipper at the beginning and will also be there for him at the end. Unconditional love its called.

Kind regards

Claire
Women don't have hot flushes, they have Power Surges....

andessmf

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:26 am

What a heartbreak! But he has lived long enough as a dog, and seems that it is his time to go.

Our sweetie Maya (80 lbs. Australian Shepherd) will turn 10 next year. We dont expect her to go past 14. She has been such a useful and loving dog for us that we are already preparing for her passing, by planning on getting a puppy for her!

The way we figured, the puppy will keep her good company, she will somewhat train the puppy, and might give her a few more years of a happy life.

I told my wife that my fervent desire is to have her still be healthy for her age, wake up one morning, and find that she has quietly passed away in the night.

cedars747

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:35 am

I couldn't sleep my siesta thinking of Clipper.I can't find words to describe my feelings,but i am very sad
Alex!!!

[Edited 2006-09-22 19:36:38]
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

IAH777

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:35 am

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 5):
You gave him a home to be in and I'm sure he was grateful.

checkmark  Can't be stated much better than that. It is my belief that animals know when they've caught a break in life. Clip likely is no exception. But there comes a time when the pain and suffering gets too great. Fourteen years is a damned good run.

I dread the day I'll lose my girl. She, too, was adopted from a shelter and I see it in her behavior that she knows she's loved. Take a while to grieve. Then head back to the shelter and find another companion.  thumbsup 

chrisjake

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:43 am

having been a dog owner since the age of 5, i know its never easy.

Clipper is a beautiful guy in so many ways...a true companion. Be strong. my thoughts are with you.

cedars747

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:49 am

Dtwclipper,please tell Clipper that Alex love's him a lot  Sad
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

Capital146

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:49 am

All pet owners will surely agree that they really do become part of the family and are loved as such, it's heartbraking when the sad day comes and they can no longer be there. Many of us can relate to the sadness you are feeling.

As others have already said, you are showing love and respect to Clipper right to the very end, you should take comfort in knowing you are doing what is kindest for him even if it is heartbreaking for you.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

Cactus739

Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:14 am

DTW

I'm so sorry to hear about this.... dogs and cats are special critters that touch our hearts in so many ways. You gave him a warm and loving home for 13 years...so much more than many unfortunate animals receive..  brokenheart 

I remember when my childhood dog, Moose, died. I was a junio in high school...she'd been with us for 13 years (coincidentally).....dad met me in the driveway when I got home from school and told me the sad news...

You'll be in my thoughts this Monday....
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

AeroWesty

Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:38 am

Aww, how very sad. I wish our pets could live as long as we do and never had to say good-bye.
International Homo of Mystery

BMIFlyer

Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:42 am

Damn man  Sad

I hate losing a long term pet (have lost a few in my life).

RIP Clipper  Sad

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Falcon84

Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:52 am

I'm so sorry to hear that, man. I've had to put down more than one dog, and it's never easy. I've loved every dog I've had, and it's so hard to say goodbye.

Sounds like he's earned a ticket to Doggie Heaven, that's for sure.

My sympathies, DtwClipper.
Work Right, Fly Hard

dl021

Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:55 am

Dtw....I know the loss you'll feel, as I had to put three pets down (including my beloved Roxy the Boston) and it harder than most things I've done.

My sympathy and empathy. You're doing the right thing for your friend, so keep that in mind.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

MiCorazonAzul

Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:00 am

I had to do the same to my dog a few months ago and I can tell you it was one of the worst moments in my life. There really isn't much to say but I do know how it feels and my thoughts are really with you. I guess at some point their quality of life greatly diminishes and instead of being selfish by keeping them alive, you must do what is right for THEM. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

Banco

Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:02 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 23):
I wish our pets could live as long as we do and never had to say good-bye.

I understand what you're saying, but can you imagine how devastating it would be to live with one for 70 years and then lose him? It's bad enough as it is.

First time I ever saw my Dad cry was when I was about 6 years old and the dog died.

It's always heartbreaking.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

searpqx

Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:14 am

I can't really add more than has already been said. He had a great home and somebody that loved him, and even in the end, you're thinking of him. My thoughts and sympathy are with you.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

davestanKSAN

Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:37 am

DTW

Clipper is a beautiful dog, who was lucky enough to have a great owner. I'm sure he knows how much you and your family love and care for him. It has been said that dogs come into this world with so much love for everyone, they do not need to live as long as humans do, who have to learn over time to love. I hope you remember the great times you and Clipper had. This will be just another journey for him. He will be able to run free and play and have no pain or worries.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. All the best to you and your family!!

I wish our pets could live as long as we do and never had to say good-bye.

checkmark  I know.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

Leskova

Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:23 am

You've got my sympathy as well - I know the feeling, though it wasn't a dog but a cat in my case: he, Felix, had to be put to sleep 11 months ago yesterday: he could barely walk in his last days and at some point my parents decided that, after 16 1/2 years of what I think must have been a great life for him, it was time to let him go.

It was very rough at first, I could barely stand to see the pictures I've got of him - after a while that, fortunately, got better again: these days, I usually have a smile on my face whenever I see the picture I've got in my home-office (on which he's close to trying to catch a glass-fish from my mother's decorative aquarium).

Tough days are ahead for you - but it'll get better, and the memories that remain will be the good times.

May Clipper rest in peace.
Smile - it confuses people!

vaporlock

Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:19 am

Clipper is of course my 80 Lbs. pup.

Dt, I know how you feel. But remember the wonderful life you've given Clipper. If it were not for you he may never have had all the great years he's had with you. Memories are wonderful things and although you are probably feeling very sad think of him and you'll get thru it!!!

My little doggie is 15 1/2 and she is my buddy! This past few months I have noticed that she can hardly see any more and her hearing is almost gone. I know that I will have to make the same decision soon. Believe me, I know how you are feeling.

Be strong and you'll get thru it!!!

Phyllis  bouncy 

NoUFO

Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:24 am

Oh shit, I know the feeling, and you certainly have my sympathy.
But I'm sure you are going to do what's best for your dog. He's a beauty by the way.
I support the right to arm bears

SlamClick

Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:24 am

Wow. That is so tough. I am sorry.

I have a wonderful 4-legged friend who was first laid on my chest as a puppy with her eyes not yet open. Does anything smell as good as a puppy? She is now getting pretty old and wants to do nothing more than follow the sunny places around the house. That day cannot be far off at my house as well.

Scratch his ears for me. He is trusting you to do what is right.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

andessmf

Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:04 am

I wish our pets could live as long as we do

Get a parrot.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 34):
Does anything smell as good as a puppy?

Nope, everytime I see a puppy I smell them, seriously.

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 33):
Oh shit, I know the feeling, and you certainly have my sympathy.

Some know the feeling, I had a 1 y.o. cat who had leukemia, she died on the way to the vet (I was putting her to sleep). The image of her literally dying in my arms has never faded.

BTW, I think it is great to hear that some of you have had your pets with you for such a long time. After all, 15 years is a very old age for them. It makes it harder to let them go, but we can look back at all the good times.

allstarflyer

Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:44 am

My dog died in December after hangin' w/us for 14 years also. My folks did most of the caregiving, though, since I went to college after we got him (strange how that worked out  mischievous  ). Anyway, I've been thinking for a while I want to get a new one (I'd have to take of him/her, though, myself  thumbsdown  ). Would you think about getting a new one soon after Clipper?

-R
Living the American Dream

fumanchewd

Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:00 am

My symapthies to you. I have had many pets and each time one dies it is always a pain in the heart. I do believe, however, that it is helpful for children to have pets who die (from natural causes hopefully and not the Scottish neighbor) as it helps them deal with the issue of human death in a real yet partially abstract manner. It may not sound like the best option, but I think that you should get another one as soon as you can! Pets are the best therapy in any situation.

I had a beautiful black Cocker Spaniel who always used to crap in my neighbors yard. The neighbor came over one time and told me that if he caught her crapping on his lawn again he would kick her back into mine. Well after she died, as a memorial to her ways, I got drunk one night and crapped in his front lawn. I even made sure to eat plenty of corn the day before.

Perhaps you need to think of your own little jesture to remember Clipper by.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

ME AVN FAN

Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:16 am

Clipper is of course my 80 Lbs. pup.

He on this photo still looks so nice. But of course if it is over it is over. I remember the poodle of a schoolfriend who got 16 and was well at 16 but then became completely ill a few months later, and that then was the end of the story.

ANCFlyer

Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:54 am

Clipper has had a good life, with great care and affection . . . he couldn't have asked for better.

Been there done that with my Beagle . . .

Sympathies to you DTW . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

dtwclipper

Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:05 am

Thanks all for you thoughts!

We have the weekend to play and then go to the vet on Monday.

The vet agreed too that it was time.

I wish we could do it at home, but she wouldn't hear of it.

Oh well, I think I'll buy him a nice Delmonico on Sunday.

weeping 

CastleIsland

Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:32 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 40):
I wish we could do it at home, but she wouldn't hear of it.

Not to be a downer, but that drive nearly ripped my guts out. To this day, I cry thinking about it. Feburary 1, 2002. Best to you, my friend. It will be the hardest thing, but know that the Veterinarians will be very sympathetic to you.

The Veterinarian who put my dog down sent me a card about a week after, saying how she looked into my dog's eyes, and saw how wonderful he was. Believe me, it hurts them as much as it hurts you.

Oh well, I think I'll buy him a nice Delmonico on Sunday.

Lucky that you can get him to have some fun. I probably pushed my beloved dog a day or two too far. I took him in for fluids, as he had stopped eating the day before, along with other signs... Looking back, I was just not willing to give up. I made my mind up the next night, knowing that he was suffering. That was one bad night.

Damn, man, I feel for you.

Life will continue, and you will have a wealth of memories.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

Jpax

Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:36 am

Sorry you have to do this (and make the decision.)  Sad

But at least he can be in the big dog house in the sky and get all the butt-sniffing action he could ever want!

My little maltese was put down last Sept. It'll be a hard transition, but worth knowing he is pain free.

Now--go get some juicy burgers-with BACON! tons of it.  Wink

NWA742

Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:49 am

Damn dude, very sorry to hear that. Pets fall in love with you just as you fall in love with them - they really are members of the family.

It will hurt badly on Monday, nothing can really prepare you for it.

I suggest you take a look at a thread I started a few months ago, it discusses some of my thoughts on pets and losing them - I hope that it provides some comfort.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/1244435

You and your family are in my thoughts,

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

United767

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:29 pm

At least you gave Clipper a good life by rescuing him from the pound. Im sure he could not have had a better life than with you and your family. Like said in the above posts, it is very hard to lose a long term pet(or family member actualy). It will be for the better when you come to the right decision. My sympathies for you and your family.

Ryan
I wish UA flew mainline to MYR, that way you wouldn't be stuck in a smelly Saturn for 12 hours.

clipperhawaii

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:12 pm

From one Clipper to another, you gave Clipper many happy moments. Cherish that always.
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

ME AVN FAN

Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:15 am

a nice Delmonico on Sunday.

sorry, what is a "Delmonico" ?
-  confused 

NoUFO

Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:14 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 46):
sorry, what is a "Delmonico" ?

It's a steak.
I support the right to arm bears

ME AVN FAN

Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:40 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 47):
It's a steak.

-
thanks
-
btw. as I love dogs, I am always almost in tears when hearing about the end of a nice dog. While at the other hand miles away from advocating wheelchairs for dogs ! No, such things are inavoidable !

dl021

Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:50 am

I don't know if it helps, but my wife informed me that Roxy and the others will be playing together in some pasture beyond waiting for the end of their day when we'll come home to be with them.

I take some comfort in that now, and I'll worry about what I know versus what I believe later.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?