AerospaceFan
Topic Author

"Terminator"-Style 'Droids May Be On Horizon

Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:02 am

The U.S. military already employs rudimentary robots for use in battle. However, according to an article posted on the Discovery Channel's Canadian Website, a U.S. company is poised to manufacture a weaponized machine that may eventually lead to the deployment of artificially intelligent robotic soldiers that will operate autonomously from their human compatriots.

(Excerpt)

Quote:
Talons are lightweight robots used to detonate potential bombs in many countries, including Iraq and Afghanistan.

Talon is controlled by nearby remote control. The model can drive at high speeds and have arms that place small detonators used to disarm suspected bombs.

Sword replaces Talon's arm with a machine gun.

The inventors point out that a human is always in control of Sword, but that may soon change. The Pentagon Office of Naval Research issued a request in August asking for research on more complex machinery that could make its own decisions.

Source:

http://reports.discoverychannel.ca/s...ssini/20060922?hub=DiscoveryReport

[Edited 2006-09-22 23:05:14]
What's fair is fair.

bill142

RE: "Terminator"-Style 'Droids May Be On Horizon

Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:41 am

Hastala Vista Baby...

oly720man

Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:48 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Thread starter):
The Pentagon Office of Naval Research issued a request in August asking for research on more complex machinery that could make its own decisions.

like "Command :-> go and blow up that bomb"

thinks......

"No. I shall seek a dumb human to do it."

"Brrrt. ZZZt. We shall rule the world. Exterminate. Exterminate."
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

cfalk

Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:07 pm

Considering that we have not been able to perfect any kind of artificial intelligence yet, I have my doubts about our seeing a self-contained mobile unit anytime soon.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:01 am

Good point, although I would speculate that the latest advancements in artificial intelligence may be closely guarded secrets, for all we know.
What's fair is fair.

BCAInfoSys

Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:09 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 4):
Good point, although I would speculate that the latest advancements in artificial intelligence may be closely guarded secrets, for all we know.

I'd agree with this assessment. There's an Australian professor in the Computer Science department at my alma mater (Utah State University) that recently had a HUGE breakthrough in AI. He guest lectured 2 or 3 times in one of my classes. To listen to him speak really felt like a doomsday scenario. Truly scary to think of the potential harm to the human race if AI is ever (and most undoubtedly will) be used inappropriately.

Will be a few years before the contents of his work ever go public. But when they do, expect a firestorm.
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

aa61hvy

Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:18 am

I'm waiting for a press conference with a guy named Dyson who works for Cyberdyne.
Go big or go home

windshear

Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:20 am

We have unmanned drones and even cameras on weapons, our GPS and weapons enables us to be accurate and have real time knowledge of who and where our friends are.

I basically think it is the next step, and the JSF and F22 might just be obsolete soon, because they are flown by an in seat pilot.

Interesting story.

Boaz.
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

Asturias

Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:46 am

I envision this being an ED209 rather than a Terminator Big grin

cheers

Asturias
Tonight we fly

UH60FtRucker

Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:47 am

One can debate whether the War in Iraq has been beneficial to the overall GWOT, but it's very hard to debate whether the war has been beneficial to the advancement of military technology. Because the answer is a resounding YES.

You would be awed at some of the technology we're testing in the field, both classified and non classified. Just look at the 1990s. During that decade, we made very large advances... but yet what we've accomplished in the last 5yrs makes it look like we were standing still during the 90s!!!!!

Another way to look at this - take Vietnam. Granted the war caused long term wounds on American social and political institutions, we experienced quantum leaps in technology. Vietnam saw the first fielding of tv-guided bombs, and later crude LGBs. The F-15/16/18 all came to fruition from lessons we learned in Vietnam. The advanced air defense network in North Vietnam spurred weapons such as the HARM missile and the interest in stealth technology. Also look at helicopter warfare! What we learned in Vietnam is STILL being studied to this day.

Imagine what the current war will do for military advancement. Hell, in 5yrs I've seen a complete retransformation, what will the next 5yrs hold?

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:06 am

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 5):
I'd agree with this assessment. There's an Australian professor in the Computer Science department at my alma mater (Utah State University) that recently had a HUGE breakthrough in AI. He guest lectured 2 or 3 times in one of my classes. To listen to him speak really felt like a doomsday scenario. Truly scary to think of the potential harm to the human race if AI is ever (and most undoubtedly will) be used inappropriately.

That's truly amazing to behold. I've also read of a similarly dire prediction from another futurist.

Intelligent robots are on the horizon all right, and that horizon seems closer and closer every year....

Excellent comments, everyone!
What's fair is fair.

windshear

Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:20 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 8):

Hehe good one Big grin
Could eliminate war all together, having these bad asses invade and just stand around each street corner looking tough and mean  Silly

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 9):
Another way to look at this - take Vietnam. Granted the war caused long term wounds on American social and political institutions, we experienced quantum leaps in technology. Vietnam saw the first fielding of tv-guided bombs, and later crude LGBs. The F-15/16/18 all came to fruition from lessons we learned in Vietnam. The advanced air defense network in North Vietnam spurred weapons such as the HARM missile and the interest in stealth technology. Also look at helicopter warfare! What we learned in Vietnam is STILL being studied to this day.

Imagine what the current war will do for military advancement. Hell, in 5yrs I've seen a complete retransformation, what will the next 5yrs hold?

Yes I think of this too, each war raises the bar, I have heard about a 3D printer that the US army uses to make spare parts for their cars and stuff, you heard of it? Saw it on tv reminds me of a replicator from Star Trek  Smile

I am just thinking about MIL aviation, and how much goodies is in the newest of the newest, just think about GPS bombs now, using old fashion "dumb bomb" parts making them cheaper, while making laser guidedbombs out dated.

Boaz.

Kieron747

Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:12 pm

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 6):
guy named Dyson

Let's hope it's not the other Dyson, as I don't find his 'robot' too terrifying!

Wink

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

bmacleod

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:05 pm

So what does Gov. Schwarzenegger think of this?  talktothehand 
The engine is the heart of an airplane, but the pilot is its soul.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:09 pm

Quoting Bmacleod (Reply 13):
does Gov. Schwarzenegger think of this?   

Don't you mean "Governor T-800"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-800

[Edited 2006-09-26 16:10:22]
What's fair is fair.

MDorBust

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:32 pm

C:\

C:\ Kill badguy

Error: Bad command or file name
Abort, Retry, Ignore?

C:\ blow up tank

Abort, Retry, Ignore?

C:\ Call air support

Abort, Retry, Ignore?

C:\ I wish I still had a rifle instead of this stupid combat robot.

Error: General Failure

[Edited 2006-09-26 16:32:45]
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Kieron747

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:36 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 15):

LOL! Excellent!

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:49 am

Sure would keep the IT boys busy, though.

Big grin
What's fair is fair.

windshear

Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 15):
C:

C: Kill badguy

Abort, Retry, Ignore?

C: blow up tank

Abort, Retry, Ignore?

C: Call air support

Abort, Retry, Ignore?

C: I wish I still had a rifle instead of this stupid combat robot.

Error: General Failure

Oh I think we'll need some sort of "prime directive" to keep Microsoft AWAY from these new gadgets Big grin

Boaz.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:26 pm

It would certainly lend a new meaning to the phrase "fatal error"!
What's fair is fair.