Link to the video is

http://www.break.com/movies/bindi_irwin_tribute.html

[Edited 2006-09-23 05:03:44]
Where did everybody go?

TedTAce

RE: Touching Speech Given By Steve Irwins Daughter

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:40 pm

I'm crying like a little girl.

You know you can say this, that, and the other about Steve, but he was a great family man.
This space intentionally left blank

dragon-wings

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:11 pm

When she grows up she is going to be one smart girl. I mean she is only 8 years old now and she talks so well. Plus I don't know many 8 year olds who can speak like that in front of a very large crowd.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

andessmf

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:17 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 1):
You know you can say this, that, and the other about Steve, but he was a great family man.

That is one main reason why his passing affected me so much. These types of families (like the Costeaus, Leakeys, etc.) have a habit of hanging around with each other for decades. It was not a stretch to assume that 30 years in the future Steve would have Bindi and Bob working with him. After all, Steve worked with his dad, too.

Terrible tragedy.

pray 

stlgph

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:21 pm

Terrific poise. She'll have her own branding very, very, soon.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

VH-KCT*

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:00 pm

Whilst I was most upset at Steve Irwin's passing. The 'public memorial' that was staged at the Australia Zoo seemed like nothing more than a television show, and Bindi's speech seemed like nothing more than her public debut - getting her brand up and running.

I think that it's very unlikely that that speech was her own doing - rather it was likely scripted to be a moving moment for those credulous enough to believe that she really was up there for pure reasons - meanwhile filming is starting on her new show and the royalties are only months away.

Her agent/publicist even described her as 'an incredible young woman'. For heaven's sake, she's 8 years old! She's a little girl who probably can't even tie her own shoes or spell! Yet her career has been decided for her and already she's a woman.

The whole thing reeks of exploitation and sexualisation and I'm surprised that more people haven't spoken out against it.
I am The Stig

TedTAce

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:15 pm

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 5):
For heaven's sake, she's 8 years old! She's a little girl who probably can't even tie her own shoes or spell!

And you have how many kids?

VH-KCT*

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:43 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 6):
And you have how many kids?

And I suppose that you've witnessed her spelling and shoe-tying, Mr Ace. The fact is that she is 8 years old - she is in grade 3, and being able to write 'I love my daddy' does not make one a woman, nor does it make one an adolescent nor even a pre-pubescent.

Actually, your sarcasm surprises and disappoints me; for somebody who regularly proclaims your superior knowledge of paternalistic matters, I would have expected you to find this situation unacceptable.
I am The Stig

slider

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:48 pm

"I don't want Daddy's passion to ever end."

Don't worry Bindi, it won't. It won't. God bless you and your family...

And thanks for reminding us of his passion...it's alive, that's for sure.

VHVXB

Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:24 pm

I think that it's very unlikely that that speech was her own doing - rather it was likely scripted to be a moving moment for those credulous enough to believe that she really was up there for pure reasons - meanwhile filming is starting on her new show and the royalties are only months away.

Without a doubt. Just a good public speaker

trekster

Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:55 pm

Amazing little girl. Shes 8 and experienced MUCH more than i have in the world. Animal wise. Been to god knows how many different places.
She and her little brother will grow up to do some great things at that zoo.
Its amazing there
Where does the time go???

j_hallgren

Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:14 pm

My Dad died when I was 8, and even though that was MANY years ago, and I don't recall much of that timeframe, I REALLY doubt I would have been able to read something like that in front of that huge of an audience at that age, let alone at a memorial service to my Dad....I had trouble keeping it together to say somethings at funeral when my Mom died just 4 yrs ago, when I was in mid-40's...

Her presentation was just great for her age!
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

deltagator

Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:30 pm

Smart girl who obviously didn't write that speech but is advanced enough to know what it means and is her feelings even if she couldn't put it to paper in exactly that way.

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 2):
Plus I don't know many 8 year olds who can speak like that in front of a very large crowd.

When I was at the zoo a few months back they had signs everywhere for a show she was going to do for a couple of weeks.Basically they were going to make her work for her birthday and perform these shows to get her cake.  Wink

Quoting STLGph (Reply 4):
She'll have her own branding very, very, soon.

Having been to the gift shop at the zoo I can confirm that already exists.

Yet her career has been decided for her and already she's a woman.

While I'm sure her family sees her as having the ability to take on the zoo's "empire" and she seems up to the task right now I'll be interested to see where she is in 10-15 years. Will she still have the zeal to do all that work? Perhaps she will. I think of it as taking over the family business.

The whole thing reeks of exploitation and sexualisation and I'm surprised that more people haven't spoken out against it.

Sexualization? I wouldn't go that far. It's not like they are parading her around in a skimpy bikini chasing crocodiles. I wouldn't even go as far as explotation since she likes what she does. Will that continue in life? Time will only tell.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

aussie18
Crew

Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:38 pm

Bindi did quite well with her speech,sure we will see plenty more from this young girl in near future as well.

VH-KCT*

Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:09 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 12):

Happy 1st A.net birthday!

Regarding exploitation and sexualisation. I'm sure that she enjoys what she does at the moment, but the problems that I can see are twofold:

1. Adults don't run to the same timeframe as kids. While her agent is signing her up for 10 year deals, the kid's interests are going to wander, and yet she'll be limited in what she can do because of her job. Think about that for a minute: an eight year-old with job commitments. What about her right to a childhood? I understand that she's taking over the family business, but as I say, she's eight years old. Nobody should have to go into business at the age of eight.

2. Australians have a fairly good track record at turning on famous people cf. Nikki Webster. In case you don't know, Nikki Webster starred in the Sydney Olympics opening ceremony and was the darling of Australia much as is Bini Irwin now. Fast forward about a year or so and Nikki Webster was the butt of all jokes, shunned as an irritating precocious ugly showoff. Fast forward to today and Nikki Webster's only publicity derives from appearing topless and in various other sexually suggestive poses in a mens' magazine to 'celebrate' her 18th birthday. In other words, she was publicising that it's now socially acceptable to objectify her.

Also, I don't think that Bindi Irwin needs to be scantily clad and gyrating to be subject to sexualisation.

Firstly, the fact that she is female has made her famous and adored. I don't believe that a young boy would ever receive such attention - for example, could any Australians name the young boy that appeared in the Melbourne Commonwealth Games opening ceremony? Of course they couldn't, because his name was barely mentioned in the media and nobody listened anyway.

Secondly, she has already been labelled as a woman by her agent/publicist: nobody would ever label an eight year-old boy a man - that's absurd - but apparently this kid is a woman. She doesn't need to be scantily clad, she can still be sexualised by words and press releases such as this.

This kid should at school learning to paint, spell and run. Instead she's surrenderring her childhood to make pre-written speeches at her dad's funeral to line the pockets of adults who should know better - and that includes everybody who supports her in her publicity. I think that anybody who really cared about this kid would have the decency to tell her to get off TV and go back to school.

[Edited 2006-09-23 13:17:35]
I am The Stig

ThePRGuy

Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:34 pm

That was pretty moving, but it was a bit 'corporate' for a young daughters speech about her unfortunate fathers death...A bit odd.

Its evident Steve was a huge national figure, as the support there is overwhelming
Thanks
PR
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

TedTAce

Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:53 pm

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 7):
I would have expected you to find this situation unacceptable.

redflag 

I'm not sitting here saying she wrote the whole thing or that she was un-coached at all, but the fact you are giving her NO credit is offensive. My son turns 8 in about a week, and while he's not as smooth a talker when reading aloud, his vocabulary is impeccable for his age. He does tie his own shoes, and it would seem at the pace he is going, he will ave a better understanding of math then me in a few short years.

Your hangup appears to be the following:

'an incredible young woman'

Ok Mr. Perfect What age is a girl a 'woman'? Have you not ever heard the term before when referring to a female child of a certain level of maturity?

VH-KCT*

Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:54 pm

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 15):
her unfortunate fathers death

Well yes, the 'feeding the croc with the baby' incident did make some people think that he was an unfortunate father  Smile

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 15):
Its evident Steve was a huge national figure, as the support there is overwhelming

And yet before his death, he was subject to the national hate that is almost without fail bestowed upon prominent Australians (although he avoided some of it by appearing on TV outside of Australia).
I am The Stig

VH-KCT*

Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:07 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 16):
I'm not sitting here saying she wrote the whole thing or that she was un-coached at all, but the fact you are giving her NO credit is offensive.

And what a pleasent memory it will be for her when she is 18, 28, 38, 58, 88... to look back at her father's memorial and think how she used it to launch her media career with a speech written by her publicist.

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 16):
Ok Mr. Perfect What age is a girl a 'woman'? Have you not ever heard the term before when referring to a female child of a certain level of maturity?

Firstly, an eight year-old girl is not a woman - a woman is somebody who is matured. A child that reads in front of an audience is not a woman.

Secondly, calling an eight year-old child a woman is sexist and sexualises the child. Whether I hear people calling eight year-olds women or not is neither here nor there, other than demonstrating the prevalence of this overt sexualisation that you seem to find acceptable.

Finally, it seems that you are calling me Mr. Perfect becasue I'm able to avoid calling a young girl a woman. I don't think that this is perfection at all, it's just realising that children who don't even understand what sex means should not be burdened with sexuality.

[Edited 2006-09-23 14:11:34]
I am The Stig

skidmarks

Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:20 pm

Well, I knew when I saw that clip on the telly that there would be serious controversy about it.

Bindi is 8, has had to cope with her dad passing and then making a speech at his memorial service.

While I think she is extremely brave in doing this, I do share the concern shown by VH-KCT at the apparent "corporate" image she presented. I would hope that her Mother is very careful what she allows the "brand" to become and how much it takes over Bindi's life.

At 8 years old she shouldn't have a care in the world. While I don't doubt for one minute she thoroughly enjoys what she does at the zoo, there will come a time when she may not want to be commited there 24/7, in order to satisfy some contract or other. After all, she has to learn about life and all it's ups and downs, and she sure isn't going to do that cocooned in some "Irwin Family Empire"

Hopefully she won't go down the same route as Nikki Webster. If her mother has any savvy at all she will allow the moment to be savoured and then draw a line under it, and return the girl to as normal a life as she can have without her father. Encourage her to do all the things little girls of that age do and not allow her exploitation.

It certainly isn't worth arguing about in A.net or anywhere else come to that. I just hope she CAN put this tragedy behind her and get on with life without the corporate junkies screwing her up. Oh, and keep the bloodsucking media out of her face too!!

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

TedTAce

Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:35 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 19):
I do share the concern shown by VH-KCT at the apparent "corporate" image she presented.

oy feh.

You know if Bindi ends up becomming some spoiled drunkart bitch a-la Nichole Richey, you guys will be right. My money is on the hope she will take her dad's place (as best possible) and she will raise millions (if not Billions) in the name of the environment.

Boeing Nut

Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:08 pm

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 7):
And I suppose that you've witnessed her spelling and shoe-tying, Mr Ace. The fact is that she is 8 years old - she is in grade 3, and being able to write 'I love my daddy' does not make one a woman, nor does it make one an adolescent nor even a pre-pubescent.

Actually, your sarcasm surprises and disappoints me; for somebody who regularly proclaims your superior knowledge of paternalistic matters, I would have expected you to find this situation unacceptable.

Oh lighten up. would ya? There are few things that are worse than taking a situation like this and demeaning it. Nice work.  irked 
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

gocaps16

Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:37 am

That's an amazing hearthfelt tribute that the girl wrote. Steve Irwin must be really proud of her after hearing that in heaven.

Kevin

VH-KCT*

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:25 am

Quoting Boeing Nut (Reply 21):
Oh lighten up. would ya? There are few things that are worse than taking a situation like this and demeaning it. Nice work.

That's an interesting choice of words. You seem to be suggesting that by me noting the blatant use of a man's public memorial to launch the international media career of his eight year-old daughter by her middle-aged publicists, I'm demeaning something!

What, exactly, am I demeaning? The theft of a childhood? The use of children to make middle-aged men rich? The labelling of an eight year-old as a woman? Well yes, I am demeaning them, because no adult should have the right to use a child to make him rich, depriving that child of a childhood in the process.

And as long as people stand back and allow this to happen, admonishing anybody who dares to speak out against what is plain to see because it breaks the fabricated mood of a brave loving daughter (perfectly crafted to appeal to the fantasies of every middle-aged man that desires a beautiful young daughter who unconditionally loves him), then they are no better than those who seek to make their living from the life of this girl.
I am The Stig

TedTAce

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:57 pm

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 23):
You seem to be suggesting that by me noting the blatant use of a man's public memorial to launch the international media career of his eight year-old daughter by her middle-aged publicists, I'm demeaning something!

If you want to think about it Mr. Wise guy she made her "International debut" when she popped out of Terry's womb on the Discovery Channel, or did you forget?

VH-KCT*

Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:53 pm

Well I never knew that she was born on television. Steve Irwin only ever had one series of one of his shows on free-to-air television in Australia on the third-ranking channel (and remember that Pay TV, where one will find Discovery Channel, has a penetration of only around 10% in Australia) so I doubt if we were ever given the opportunity to see that.

Although I can't see what your point is here, apart from calling me another name.

[Edited 2006-09-24 06:56:52]
I am The Stig

andessmf

Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:12 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 24):
If you want to think about it Mr. Wise guy she made her "International debut" when she popped out of Terry's womb on the Discovery Channel, or did you forget?

checkmark 

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 25):
Well I never knew that she was born on television

That's not our problem. Steve Irwin kept his show as a family affair, and you should know that already by knowing about little Bob intro at 2 months old.

Although I can't see what your point is here, apart from calling me another name.

If you cant see the point, that is more your problem. Here you are essentially demeaning a little girl who spoke well at her father's FUNERAL. Do you get it, now? It is pretty low to do that. Regardless of the circumstances. And us fathers, like Ted, take it very personally when anyone demeans a child, especially since its already clear that you did not know all the facts about her birth and her TV shows.

VH-KCT*

Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:30 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 26):

How utterly ironic that you suggest that I'm demeaning this child and suggest that what I have posted is 'low'.

I would have thought that giving a fabricated speech to a child at her father's funeral, putting her on display, signing her up to work ("She knows what she has to do" were her agent's words), and labelling this eight year-old child as a woman were slightly more demeaning acts than the act of pointing this out and questioning its validity. However, it seems by your contemptuous post that you find my concern for this child's welfare as demeaning.

So do I get it now? I get that people seem to find the exploitation and sexualisation of this child as acceptable, and I get that I have been called demeaning, low, disrespectful and other names becuase I question the morality of using the funeral of this eight year-old child's father to launch her career.

The fact that, in your rather aggresive post, you say that I am 'essentially demeaning' this child shows that you have no grasp of my argument whatsoever. But if you don't see the point, that's your problem.

[Edited 2006-09-24 08:35:04]
I am The Stig

andessmf

Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:41 pm

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 27):

Jeez, boy (16-20), you have no idea what you are talking about.

VH-KCT*

Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:59 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 28):

I know exactly what I'm talking about.

And you have failed to show me in any way how my concern for this child is a demeaning act. Instead all you have done is tell me that I have a problem and now made a supercilious remark about my age.

I guess you are insinuating that by my being young, I am incapable of having a considered viewpoint. So in actual fact you have effectively highlighted my fist point:

1. Older people usually know better than younger people through experience and therefore it is the responsibility of those older people to protect the younger people.

Of course, the fact that some people here seem incapable to cogitate this proves the second part of my point:

2. There are plenty of older people out there who are incapable of understanding that children are not adults, and these people are quite happy to make their fortune by exploiting a child's childhood. It is our responsibility as sensible adults to protect a child's childhood, because they will not get another one.

Unless that is not considered enough for you, I would request that you save your snide comments for somebody else. But by all means, please do show me where I have demeaned this child.
I am The Stig

andessmf

Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:12 pm

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 29):
I would request that you save your snide comments for somebody else

How could that be a snide comment? If I had called you a 'man', I would be 'sexualizing' you and I certainly wouldnt want to do that. It upset you, as it was meant to do so by me. See, adults have a tendency to show respect for children that have performed a duty very well by calling them man/woman. When my 3.5 y.o. did his duty well at my sister's wedding, my mom called him a 'gentleman'. Was she sexualizing him also? No.

You reacted exactly the way I wanted you to react to prove my point. I called you a boy, you felt slighted. If I had called you a man, you would not have responded by saying 'I am not quite there, yet'. Bindi, who has been acting since childbirth, gave a great speech at the funeral. Adults called her a 'woman' as a respectful term for what she did. And for God's sake, if you have nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all.

VH-KCT*

Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:27 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 28):
you have no idea what you are talking about.

For your information, I was referring to the above. I found this to be a very snide and dismissive comment as I am sure almost anybody would.

I doubt that one can compare a grandmother calling her grandson a gentleman to a middle-aged man telling the whole world that an unrelated girl is a woman. Also look at the way in which the language is used: A gentleman implies both maturity and gentility, a woman just means an older girl.

Again, you suggest that I am disrespecting the child. Again I would ask you to explain how considering the welfare of this child is demeaning.

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 30):
And for God's sake, if you have nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all.

About who?
Bindi? Well I haven't criticised her once.
You? You jumped in here with an aggressive and personal post.
Those who are manipulating this child's life to make money? Only when you show me why I shouldn't.

[Edited 2006-09-24 09:30:33]
I am The Stig

dragon-wings

Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:32 pm

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 31):
Those who are manipulating this child's life to make money?

Did you ever think that this is what Bindi wants to do?
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

kiwiinoz

Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:06 pm

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 14):

I agree with you 100%. I'm sure the poor kid has had her whole grieving process confused and muddled by a bunch of stage managers coaching her, and not to mention the constant drivel in the media about how big a media personality she is going to be.

It's hard enough to understand death at any age. At 8 it must be nearly impossible. When she's got all that other stuff going on, she has no chance.

I hope like hell she has plenty of good people around her for support in a few years time when she start's to discover for herself her true feelings for this event.

VH-KCT*

Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:07 pm

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 32):
Did you ever think that this is what Bindi wants to do?

Children want to do plenty of things, but as adults we should remember that they are children and therefore we have a responsibility to ensure their welfare both now and in the future.
I am The Stig

andessmf

Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:38 pm

To answer your posts further...

The 'public memorial' that was staged at the Australia Zoo seemed like nothing more than a television show

It WAS a TV show.

meanwhile filming is starting on her new show and the royalties are only months away.

This was arranged prior to her father's passing.

rather it was likely scripted to be a moving moment for those credulous enough to believe that she really was up there for pure reasons

What makes you think your opinion was right and the rest wrong? If you have no proof, leave it at that, I did.

Her agent/publicist even described her as 'an incredible young woman'.

middle-aged man telling the whole world that an unrelated girl is a woman.

An agent/publicists job is what? PR? The agent used words which any other agents/publicists would have used.

Again I would ask you to explain how considering the welfare of this child is demeaning.

Here

she's 8 years old! She's a little girl who probably can't even tie her own shoes or spell!

You learn your spelling here in the US before 6. Now you are saying she is a little girl (try calling my daughter that and see what kind of reaction you get) who cant tie her own shoes or spell. THAT'S DEMEANING.

Bindi? Well I haven't criticised her once.

Yes, you did. See above.

Yet her career has been decided for her and already she's a woman.

Do you remember the Costeau family? The Leakey's? Jane Goodall? The people, like the Irwin's, tend to lug their kids around the world with them. And most of those children follow in their steps. Remember that Steve worked with his father. The prepoderance of the evidence tends to indicate that Bindi would have followed her father's footsteps regardless of whether he had died or not. Bindi had probably already decided by herself that this is what she wanted to do. If I had been in her shoes, I would have done the same.

Jetsgo

Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:25 pm

VH-KCT*, dude you are pathetic. Loosen your panties and grow up a bit will you? I think you are just a bit jealous of their fame and upset for your short comings. Boy.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

VH-KCT*

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:03 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 35):
An agent/publicists job is what? PR? The agent used words which any other agents/publicists would have used.

That doesn't make them acceptable.

You learn your spelling here in the US before 6. Now you are saying she is a little girl (try calling my daughter that and see what kind of reaction you get) who cant tie her own shoes or spell. THAT'S DEMEANING.

I've already responded to this, but if I must then I will respond to it again:
1. Being able to spell short words does not make a woman
2. Noting that an eight year-old girl is a child is not demeaning
3. Being concerned for the welfare of a child is not demeaning

Yes, you did. See above.

Interesting that you consider calling a child, a child, as a criticism.

So we have got nowhere. Over thirty posts and people are still vehemently supportive of what seems to be the exploitation of a child for the monetary gain of a few adults, and unwilling to state that an eight year-old girl is a child and not an adult.

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 36):
VH-KCT*, dude you are pathetic. Loosen your panties and grow up a bit will you? I think you are just a bit jealous of their fame and upset for your short comings. Boy.

Interesting that I am pathetic, yet you:

1. Make no argument in your post
2. Resort to insinuating that I am a girl and/or wear girls' underwear
3. Tell me to 'grow up' after I have made reasoned and restrained arguments while you make juvenile playground insults and (gasp) scale the lofty heights of oneupmanship with a witty gender jibe
4. Garnish your frivolity with an accusation so rediculous that it barely warrants mention, other than to emphasise the utter pointlessness of your post

But look, I'll give you a hand so that you can hide your shortcomings:
1. If you're looking for a striking opener, don't use the word 'dude'.
2. Don't call somebody a girl/mention panties, then in the very next sentence, tell them to grow up.
3. Boy is not an offensive word, it just makes you sound like Foghorn Leghorn.

[Edited 2006-09-24 14:08:10]
I am The Stig

TedTAce

Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:59 pm

I know exactly what I'm talking about.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/profile.main?username=VH-KCT%2A

Quote:
Username: VH-KCT*
E-mail: Contact

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Boeing Nut

Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:21 am

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 23):

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 27):

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 37):

One thing is very clear, you are micro analyzing this to death. What you have demeaned is the meaning itself behind the reading Bindi made. This was at a funeral. A place that even if this is the way you truly feel, you should have enough respect to keep this type of opinion to yourself. If Bindi were to make this type of speech at some conference, then I'd agree with most of your comments. But this was at a time when people who loved the man were paying their respects. Maybe you should try that angle and then you'll understand why everybody is jumping your case.

andessmf

Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:52 am

Her agent/publicist even described her as 'an incredible young woman'

Two questions:

Is she a woman?
Is she young?

VH-KCT*

Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:21 am

Due to the degeneration of this thread to personal insults and (that guaranteed sign of a dead thread) the use of little quotes with pointed replies, I am ending my argument here.

I remain shocked at the vehement opposition that was apparent to my genuine concern for this child's welfare.
I am The Stig

kiwiinoz

Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:33 am

Quoting Boeing Nut (Reply 39):
This was at a funeral.

No it wasn't. It was a public memorial service. Whilst I found the Bindi show a little creepy, there were other "cringe-worthy" moments. In particular, the recorded tribute by Russell Crowe, (he's an aussie, not a kiwi)

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 40):
Her agent/publicist even described her as 'an incredible young woman'

Two questions:

Is she a woman?
Is she young?

I hope you're not telling us that you consider her to be a young woman with the emotional maturity to make complex and long term decisions?? She's not a young woman, she's a child.

TedTAce

Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:05 pm

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 41):
Due to the degeneration of this thread to personal insults and (that guaranteed sign of a dead thread) the use of little quotes with pointed replies, I am ending my argument here.

In other words we won and you lost.

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 41):
my genuine concern for this child's welfare.

If that's all you had choosen to express, that would have been fine. a simple 'hey I don't like it' would have been sufficient, but NOOOO you had to make it seem like a big issue then act you your god's gift to children since Dr. Spock. Let's not forget that in some circles here (age wise) you are still a child yourself.

Let this be a lesson that if you are going to air out your opinion you should present it as such. Pretending to be an expert on raising children when you have none, nor training in the matter will garner you no favor among those of us who have raised, and do raise children.

aaflt1871

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:12 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 43):
Let this be a lesson that if you are going to air out your opinion you should present it as such. Pretending to be an expert on raising children when you have none, nor training in the matter will garner you no favor among those of us who have raised, and do raise children.

Very well said Ted
Where did everybody go?

VH-KCT*

Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:42 pm

Sorry, I know I said that I was out but when I came back, your last post was just too delicious to leave unanswered. I mean it was that predictable that I knew what it was going to say before I even saw it!

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 43):
Let this be a lesson

Pfft. Listen, mate. The only lesson I'll be taking from this thread is that I should be happy for the father that I have. Becuase, as you and some others have proven here, there are plenty of aggressive and poorly-evolved alpha males out there who are so busy worrying about validating themselves as a good father and the dominant male of the pack that they are willing to spend their time arguing with a kid on the other side of the world just to prove that they're the better man. I mean this thread went for 2 days, and you were so busy arguing with me that you never grasped my point.

So yeah, enjoy your victory  silly 
I am The Stig

Boeing Nut

Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:15 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 42):
No it wasn't. It was a public memorial service.

Same difference!  banghead 

talktothehand 

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 45):
I mean this thread went for 2 days, and you were so busy arguing with me that you never grasped my point.

We got your point, you just took the wrong time to deliver it.

TedTAce

Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:22 pm

the better man

No, just a man, and more experienced.

andessmf

Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:06 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 47):
the better man

No, just a man, and more experienced.

Ah, you remember those days, Ted, dont you? When we were young a thought we were men, only to finally grow older and more experienced and finally realize how much more we had to still learn. VH will get there someday.

Listen VH, both Ted and I originally with nice comments.

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 1):

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 3):
That is one main reason why his passing affected me so much. These types of families (like the Costeaus, Leakeys, etc.) have a habit of hanging around with each other for decades

Notice the nice family comments we added originally.

Then you quickly started off in the wrong foot.

And you claimed you were only concerned about her welfare.

She's a little girl who probably can't even tie her own shoes or spell! Yet her career has been decided for her and already she's a woman.

With words that still you cant acknowledge were demeaning towards Bindy.

Quoting VH-KCT* (Reply 37):

I've already responded to this, but if I must then I will respond to it again:
1. Being able to spell short words does not make a woman
2. Noting that an eight year-old girl is a child is not demeaning
3. Being concerned for the welfare of a child is not demeaning

The actual words used were 'young woman'. If someone had said 'woman' it would be one thing, and your arguments could have some legs to it. But it was prefaced with 'young', and this phrase is used very commonly even in schools. I have heard plenty of teachers call their charges 'young xy'.