aaflt1871

This Is One Stupid But Lucky Mother Trucker

Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:25 am

Where did everybody go?

ltbewr

RE: This Is One Stupid But Lucky Mother Trucker

Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:35 am

The trucker should lose their license for any and all vehicles for many months for their lack of good judgement. They should have came to a complete stop before crossing the tracks as no controls (lights, gates), looked and listened for any train horns before continuing. At least no one killed, but for the train operator, they must have been on medical leave for his own mental health after this collision.

AsstChiefMark

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:02 am

He was carrying Betty Crocker brownie mix.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

AsstChiefMark

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:13 am

Happens a lot...

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

VHVXB

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:20 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 1):
The trucker should lose their license for any and all vehicles for many months for their lack of good judgement.

I agree. Lucky there wasn't a derailment or any other major damage.

AirCop

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:23 am

Believe or not, less than a 1/3 of all railroad crossings in the states have lights and gates. So has Asst Chief Mark states it does happen alot, and the train always wins.

N231YE

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:58 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 5):
Believe or not, less than a 1/3 of all railroad crossings in the states have lights and gates. So has Asst Chief Mark states it does happen alot, and the train always wins.

Hence trucks and especially school buses must always stop before entering the grade crossing, stop and look both ways (school buses must open the door and the children are ordered to shut up momentarily) before the vehicle can cross over the tracks.

Go3Team

Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:20 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 1):
The trucker should lose their license for any and all vehicles for many months for their lack of good judgement. They should have came to a complete stop before crossing the tracks as no controls (lights, gates), looked and listened for any train horns before continuing.

There is no regulation requiring a driver to stop at a crossing unless there is hazardous materials on board. Due to the angle of the tracks, and the roadway, there is no way the driver would have seen the train coming. Even if he had stopped to listen, if the train controller didn't sound his horn, due to the noise of the truck, they wouldn't have heard the train. Is the accident preventable? Yes. Should he lose his license forever because someone thinks he should? No.

Quoting N231YE (Reply 6):
Hence trucks

See above...

Quoting N231YE (Reply 6):
and especially school buses must always stop before entering the grade crossing, stop and look both ways (school buses must open the door and the children are ordered to shut up momentarily) before the vehicle can cross over the tracks.

Required by law.
Yay Pudding!

TheRedBaron

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:01 pm

Those guys are not the brightest bulbs in the genetic pool, ergo they are truck drivers

Any questions?
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

baylorairbear

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:11 pm

Quoting Theredbaron (Reply 8):

Any questions?

You just insulted my father.

BAB  Angry
I'm just skipping stones...

NeilYYZ

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:12 pm

Those guys are not the brightest bulbs in the genetic pool, ergo they are truck drivers

I'm sure a lot of them are very smart. Plus, if you have your own truck, it can be quite a good job, my friend makes more as a trucker than I'll ever hope to make if I become a police officer. No need to put people down just because they're truckers.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

Cadet57

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:42 pm

ergo they are truck drivers

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 9):

Mine too! What a stupid and ignorant and rather broad observation you made here...  sarcastic 
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

cfcuq

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:52 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 11):
ergo they are truck drivers

Rather than "truck drivers" most are either sole proprietors, or key cogs in their company's transportation system. I myself am proud to say that I have worked as a "truck driver".

L-188

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:53 pm

Up here the big problem is people running their snowmachines down the tracks.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

TedTAce

Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:16 pm

You know this taps into one of my why the world is screwed themes.

Lack of professionalisim.

I'd be stunned to find that any of those drivers were not being paid (one way or another) to drive those rigs, and yet in a profound exhibition of professional mis-conduct they put lives at risk. They deserve fates more dire then that of which they suffered.
This space intentionally left blank

Go3Team

Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:34 pm

Mine too!

And myself as well.

Those guys are not the brightest bulbs in the genetic pool

Those clowns may fit your profile, but when it comes to smarts, I certainly don't. Think high IQ - in the genius category. Maybe we can have a battle of wits sometime, if you're properly armed.
Yay Pudding!

Matt D

Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:11 am

The scariest thing about all of those trucking incidents is not that they happened nor the not-so-brilliant judgement that allowed them to happen, but rather, few-if any of them will lose their jobs.

The driver shortage is so severe in the trucking business that most companies WILL "look the other way" vís-a-vís those wrecks if the driver is otherwise skilled and willing to show up.

Yes, the shortage is that bad.

emiratesa345

Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:32 am

There are quite a few very ignorant comments in this topic, mainly by people who have never been behind the wheel of a truck. I've driven both trucks (not a rig, just a straight truck) and buses and the one thing that I find people misunderstand about them, is that they don't stop like a car does.

Although I haven't been involved in any accidents, I've been in a couple situations where I've seen my or someone elses life flash before my eyes, due to someone elses misjudgement or stupidity.

Truckers may find themselves in position where even if they wanted to stop before those tracks, its just not possible. In some cases it may just be better to cross the tracks and get out of the way, rather than stop halfway over them. No, its not because you're going too fast, but in that situation with no lights or bells, by the time he noticed the train coming, it was too late to even consider stopping the rig.

As for truckers being stupid, I think thats quite a rude thing to say. Some people do it not because they're stupid, but because they enjoy driving, others because trucks are a hobby of theirs, much like many people here want to fly airplanes because aviation is a hobby.

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

don81603

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:35 pm

brightest bulbs in the genetic pool, ergo they are truck drivers

Ah, a wonderful statement! Something I'd expect to hear from a dispatcher!

And for the record, you'd have insulted me as well, if I cared to bits about the opinion of the uninformed.

So, here's a bit of background info for you, Red...

While the intense training (hours in simulators) is more relaxed, truck drivers are subjected to almost the same, and in some cases more scrutiny by law enforcement agencies as airline pilots. We are also trained to make allowances for the actions, and mistakes of other motorists on the highways of the world.
One example of scrutiny that comes to mind is if I'm sitting at a red light, and some drunk plows into the back of my truck and kills himself, I am required BY LAW to submit to a drug and alcohol test within 3 hours. We are also required as a condition of employment, to submit to a drug and alcohol test, and we are subject to random tests for as long as we hold a CDL (Commercial Driver's Licence). These tests can be administered either by the DOT sending a list of those to be tested to the company, or at a road side inspection facility. As for the frequency of the random tests, you never know when your number will come up, but the rule of thumb is 30% of a companies driver will be randomly picked every 3 months. My "record", was in 2003, when I was tested 5 times. 1 for my medical, 3 random and 1 roadside.

Getting back to the video, like most of the aviation videos we've seen posted here, unless we know all the facts, determining this driver was an idiot is fruitless. There could be many underlying facts we don't know, and to make an assumption based on this video is, in your case, an "UN"educated guess.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

JamieD

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:46 pm

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 15):
Think high IQ - in the genius category.

Quoting Go3Team:
Other info: Your Mom's Box.

Indeed.  Yeah sure

ORFflyer

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:20 pm

Mine too! What a stupid and ignorant and rather broad observation you made here..

Yes it was. Completely stupid. Obviously, he is not aware of extremely difficult testing required to obtain, and maintain a CDL.

Any questions

Do you think you could find a clue if it was sitting on your sholders?

Matt D

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:19 pm

Agreed. Not only is a Class A very difficult to get, but let's not forget the HazMat endorsements as well. With the hoops you have to jump through to get one, you'd think that the truckers were the terrorists.

And look at all of the other BS that drivers have to deal with, all of which I'm sure are contributing factors to declining employment in this field:

HOS rules and log books (drivers only need one, right?)

Blindside back ins

Having to beg w/ dispatch and management for that one day a month off.

Pushy shippers/consignees and often unrealistic times allotted for transit

Lumpers (probably the single biggest scam in the entire economy)

Rude car drivers (I've ridden in fully loaded gas tankers and was shocked at how many people would cut in front of us and them slam on the brakes)

Management, customers, and the public in general showing absolutely no respect at all for the profession, even though truckers could potentially have every single man, woman, and child in the country by the throat. Every single thing we have from that flashy SUV to the food we eat to those stupid 'Chocolate' cell phones to the Charmin we wipe our asses with, we have it because a trucker brought it.

You may think that truck drivers are social inferiors who are dumb as rocks. Certainly some are (as can be found in any profession), but try and show some respect. Anytime I get stuck behind a slow moving truck, I don't curse at it for "getting in my way".

I thank my lucky stars that the SOB is running.

Because I know that I am a spoiled American who can go down to Wal Mart and have a billion useless items to choose from.

And it's the truckers that brought them there.

bristolflyer

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:17 am

I have only met a few truck drivers and most of them were adequately intelligent, switched on and all were totally professional - lots of pride in the way that they drive and operate. You may not need need as high an IQ as a nuclear physicist to be a professional truck driver but you can't just be any old dunce. Driving a 45 ton wagon around the place requires a lot of application. And as someone has already said before me driving is not the only part of the job. Taking responsibility for your cargo is a big part of it (if you're carrying hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of computer equipment for example).

Any questions?

Yes, where did you get your idea from?
Fortune favours the brave

Cadet57

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:22 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 21):

Very well said Matt!

Now inregards to that video: We DO NOT know the full story of the accident so we do not know all the details. As others have pointed out, there were no signals nor could the trucker SEE the train.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

cornish

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:29 am

Absolute rubbish.

BAB's Dad has at least twice the IQ of his son.

Hmmmm ok - perhaps that was a bad example  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

oly720man

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:58 am

Looking at the safety issue in all this, is there, or should there be a say, 40ft line/pole/marker so that any driver of a big rig knows that

a) his/her tail is not sitting across the tracks once he/she reaches said indicator, and

b) if the driver does try to cross the tracks then he/she knows that the clear space is big enough to go into?
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

baylorairbear

Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 25):
Looking at the safety issue in all this, is there, or should there be a say, 40ft line/pole/marker so that any driver of a big rig knows that

a) his/her tail is not sitting across the tracks once he/she reaches said indicator, and

b) if the driver does try to cross the tracks then he/she knows that the clear space is big enough to go into?

That's a very good idea, however, a lot of roads run parallel to tracks no more than 15-20 feet away, so that would place the marker practically on the other side of the rode. In addition, trucks pull a variety of different length trailers, and the length of the tractors, themselves, vary greatly as well.

For example, my dad pulls a 53 foot trailer, and his tractor is on about a 175 inch wheelbase, if I remember correctly. That puts his total length at around 65 feet. On the other hand, I've seen live-bottom grain trucks with a trailer length of over 70 feet. I've seen tractors with a wheelbase of 120 inches. So, as you see, there are an infinite number of combinations possible. But, you do have a good idea. What can we implement that allows truckers a better situational awareness?

I think the main problem in incidents like these, including cars, too, is that it's simply too difficult to judge a train's speed by looking at it nearly head on. You may think you've got time to cross, and, before you know it, the train is upon you.

Let's be glad, for the truckers' sakes, that those trailers burst like matchsticks when they get hit, otherwise, the cabs of the trucks would likely be dragged right under the wheels of the train.

BAB

p.s. I heard that, Cornish. And don't think that I won't write that episode down in my little book.  devil 
I'm just skipping stones...

oly720man

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:38 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 26):
You may think you've got time to cross, and, before you know it, the train is upon you.

Perhaps the moral should be, "if you see the train then don't go onto the tracks."

We have plenty of cases in the UK where there are half barriers across the track and people will slalom through them rather than wait the minute or so for the train to pass. I do appreciate that, given the length of trains in the US you could have a longer wait than that. But as the old saying goes, it's better to be late than late.

Speaking personally, I slow down if I get near a crossing in the vain hope of seeing a train go past. It happens so rarely for me it's a pleasant diversion.

The main problem with any sort of safety measure is cost. If you have to put a barrier across every crossing then the costs become prohibitive. Put against the actual number of incidents it is money that could better be spent on the blackspots elsewhere.

There seem to be 2 issues here,

1) people racing the train and judgement of speed. This is just driving attitude that has to be changed. No different to jumping red lights, impatience, bad driving.

2) traffic jam and judgement of available space. Clearly some sort of marking would assist drivers so that they'd know whether to cross the tracks or not. In a cab you're high enough up to see the other side and if there was an indication at, say, 50ft, 60ft, 70ft, then the driver would know to proceed if the clear space was big enough. For safety's sake I'd have some marking at the longest length only so that the driver who usually had a 50ft rig and one day had a 65ft rig wouldn't get the signs mixed up. Then make it mandatory that you should only enter the "zone" if it's clear.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

Go3Team

Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:29 pm

Quoting JamieD (Reply 19):
Indeed.

Your opinion, you know all about me don't you. It's a reference if you really need to know.

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 26):
For example, my dad pulls a 53 foot trailer, and his tractor is on about a 175 inch wheelbase, if I remember correctly. That puts his total length at around 65 feet. On the other hand, I've seen live-bottom grain trucks with a trailer length of over 70 feet. I've seen tractors with a wheelbase of 120 inches.

He must drive a day cab. Tractors with a wheelbase of 120-175 inches are pretty small. My wheelbase is 232 inches, and that puts me around 69-70 feet with a 53'. Then there are those clowns that have the 300"+ wheelbase.
Yay Pudding!