speedbird747BA

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:17 am

Alright ppl, i have the oppurtunity of a lifetime here.....a year in norway. ive never been there but as far as i could tell i would love it (ie picutres, epcot, maps, books, etc). But here is the thing, a yr is a LONG time to be away from family and home and stuff, so now ive been considering just a summer program, 6-8 wks. My prob with that is its not much time to get aquainted with the culture, make good new friends, and EXPERIENCE norway as it should be experienced, all seasons and such. Aother thing is that if i hate it and im there for a yr, thats not good at all, but if i love it and im there for 6 wks, thats even worse.....

youre thouhts on all this would be appreciated

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

AirPacific747

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:24 am

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Thread starter):
My prob with that is its not much time to get aquainted with the culture, make good new friends, and EXPERIENCE norway as it should be experienced, all seasons and such. Aother thing is that if i hate it and im there for a yr, thats not good at all, but if i love it and im there for 6 wks, thats even worse.....

I'd say go for it!

I studied in Canada for 8 months, which I really enjoyed. 1 year is a good amount of time as you get to see Norway (Yes you can see a lot of Norway in a year). I learned a lot from staying away from friends and family for so long. I have become more independent, and my selfconfidence has definately gone up since then. It'll be tough around Christmas and New Year but that's another experience that I am glad that I have tried.

You won't hate it in Norway, it's an awesome place!

[Edited 2006-09-24 18:25:21]

Thom@s

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:27 am

Tough one to answer... It all depends on how you like it if you move here. In my experience people here are quite friendly towards students from abroad. So if you manage to get along well with a couple of guys, a year could be fun. Obviously, as you say, If you don't like it here that much, it will be a long year. Especially considering the dark winter, and high prices on everything... (Have I scared you away yet? If so then remember the reputation scandinavian girls have...)  Wink

Anyway... You can get a lot out of 6-8 weeks as well, if you try. Again, it all comes down to how you like it here. Where in Norway are you going?

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

flylondon

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:32 am

Do the year!

You'll kick yourself in the future if you don't grab the opportunity while you can. When else are you going to get the chance to live abroad for a year? Plus it looks very good to prospective employers - living outside the US for a while shows you can adapt to different cultures and situations.

Plus you ca use Norway as a springboard to visit other place in Europe, get used to Ryanair 1p fares.

AirPacific747

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:32 am

If you don't like it, will it be possible to go home again i.e. changing the flight ticket and get some money back or will they be lost?

I have to admit that the school I went to in Canada wasn't the best but I met a lot of nice people, some which I still talk to today. I even had a Mexican friend visiting me last weekend. We had a lot of fun and I spent the whole weekend showing him around in Copenhagen.

TedTAce

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:05 am

Go for a year. The weather will suck, but the people should make you have more fun then you can think of now. Depending on how for north you are, you can say you survived a Norgie winter, hell even on the south side things are tough..

I have yet to meet a Norgie I didn't like for one reason or another.
This space intentionally left blank

Thom@s

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 5):
I have yet to meet a Norgie I didn't like for one reason or another.

Yeah, hi there...  wave 

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

AirPacific747

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 5):
Norgie

Is that some kind of slang for Norwegian?

Thom@s

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:11 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 7):
Is that some kind of slang for Norwegian?

Just like we Norwegians have a slang for Danish girls; Tøs. Big grin  Wink

Thom@s

AirPacific747

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 8):
Tøs.

Hey we use that word too! Big grin

aloges

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:26 am

Quoting FlyLondon (Reply 3):
Do the year!

You'll kick yourself in the future if you don't grab the opportunity while you can. When else are you going to get the chance to live abroad for a year? Plus it looks very good to prospective employers - living outside the US for a while shows you can adapt to different cultures and situations.

checkmark  This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and you'll kick yourself to God knows where if you later regret no having done it. I spent a year (11th grade, mid-2000 to mid-2001) in Brazil and you'll find a link to my exchange organisation in my profile.

Plus you ca use Norway as a springboard to visit other place in Europe, get used to Ryanair 1p fares.

Nah... not Ryanair. Take Norwegian! Big grin
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

lorenz

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:34 am

Regarding the climate/weather. I would not say the weather here suck, though it's darn hot in the Summer and darn cold in the Winter  Smile

Today f.ex. Bergen on the westcoast had +23 degrees, Tromsø in the Northern part had + 1 and snowfall!

I'd say come on over, you wont regret it!

malmoaviation

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:01 am

You know what Norway has that Sweden does not have?

Good Neighbours.

duck 

DYflyer

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:24 am

Nah! Denmark is our neighbour too  Big grin
Life is like a book. If you don't travel, you only read one page.

lorenz

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:26 am

Yeah, those Russians sure are nice !

Thom@s

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:38 am

Quoting Malmoaviation (Reply 12):
You know what Norway has that Sweden does not have?

Good Neighbours.

And that black stuff in the ocean which means more money in the bank than both IKEA and Volvo will ever make...  Wink

Quoting Lorenz (Reply 14):

So long as they aren't stealing our fishing areas and running off with Norwegian sailors... Still, good guys. They gave us Vodka after all, hehe...

Thom@s

Sukhoi

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:49 am

I would go for one year! Norwegians are a friendly and English speaking people and it´s a very beautiful country and now days you can get cheap flights to the majority of countries in Europe with Norwegian,Ryanair and also SAS, great opportunity to explore Europe more. It´s also very healthy to live in another country for a year to see how other people live and whats great with your own country and what could be improved.

AirPacific747

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting DYflyer (Reply 13):
Nah! Denmark is our neighbour too

Quoting Lorenz (Reply 14):

bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup 

TPAnx

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:08 am

FWIW: Local travel article recently said Norway was gorgeous, had very friendly people..and lousy food. You're young..a year is nothing...DO IT!

TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

speedbird747BA

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:10 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 2):
If so then remember the reputation scandinavian girls have...)

Anyway... You can get a lot out of 6-8 weeks as well, if you try. Again, it all comes down to how you like it here. Where in Norway are you going?

WAIT!!!! WHAT REPUTATION!!! inform me of this at one!

regarding everyone saying go for the year, it might also put a cramp in my college plans. i want to go to erau (pls dont turn this into an erau slamming thread), but i dont know how they would go for something like this.

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 2):

Im hoping Bergen.....

Quoting Aloges (Reply 10):

Nah... not Ryanair. Take Norwegian!

The 1p price is attractive, but ive gotta fly Norwegian when im in Norway!!

Ummm (showing my ignorance) how expensive is Norway exactly?

Cheers,
Kyle

mainMAN

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:42 am

Hi Kyle

From experience I'd say.....just do it!

I moved a long way from home when I was 19, I found it tough for the first two weeks, then I was fine.

You have to experience these things when you're young. Otherwise you'll never know, and you won't get to know yourself.

Norwegians are lovely warm people, and most of them speak English a lot better than we do!

aloges

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:01 am

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Reply 19):
WAIT!!!! WHAT REPUTATION!!! inform me of this at one!

being prodominantly good looking to gorgeous and being mostly blonde and blue-eyed, that kind of thing

Imagine a terribly expensive place, double it and you may get near Norway.  Wink Oh, and you still need to triple it for alcoholic beverages.

I haven't spent much time in Norway so far, but it certainly was enough to make me adore it.

Just out of interest, what's behind that opportunity of yours? An exchange organisation? Friends/relatives in Norway? Your highschool sending you to a partner highschool?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

speedbird747BA

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:19 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 21):
Just out of interest, what's behind that opportunity of yours? An exchange organisation? Friends/relatives in Norway? Your highschool sending you to a partner highschool?

an exchange organisation. ive always been in love with norway, so when my parents suggested that i might want to try an exchange program for some culture cahnge, i naturally chose norway. I have no friends or relatives in Norway.

Cheers,
Kyle

bill142

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:56 am

Norgies make bad jokes
Hmm, I May Have Made Up A Joke... (by Thom@s Sep 24 2006 in Non Aviation)

Doona

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:22 pm

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Thread starter):
i have the oppurtunity of a lifetime here.....a year in norway.

I'm sorry, that sentence does not make any sense...  Confused  duck 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

JGPH1A

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:44 pm

Go for it - Norway is beautiful, the people are friendly, food's great, they have more fjords than you can shake a stick at - it's a brilliant opportunity.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

gkirk

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:45 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 25):

Surprised you'd even go anywhere near Norway, given their whaling traditions  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

JGPH1A

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:53 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 26):
Surprised you'd even go anywhere near Norway, given their whaling traditions

I just showed them my Greenpeace certificate, and they let me go. I had a great time in Norway.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

bill142

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:06 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 27):
I just showed them my Greenpeace certificate, and they let me go. I had a great time in Norway

and I bet you saw their green piece. The solar powered Whale harpoon.

KaiGywer
Crew

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:10 pm

And £50 taxes  Smile

Im hoping Bergen.....

Now why would you do such a thing to yourself?  Wink  duck 

I just showed them my Greenpeace certificate, and they let me go. I had a great time in Norway.

Ahh, good times. I remember when I was in Nijmegen, Holland (yes, I'm crazy for walking 160 km in four days). Greenpeace had a stand there against whaling, so four of us in Norwegian army uniforms started arguing with them  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Kieron747

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:24 pm

I spent a year in working in Canada, so I would advise you to do it! I have also been to Norway for 2 weeks, it was good, but the beer was expensive and good luck trying to buy paracetamol (tylenol) anywhere!

The women are fit though!

Wink

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

KaiGywer
Crew

Your Thoughts On Norway

Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:30 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 30):
and good luck trying to buy paracetamol (tylenol) anywhere!

Just go to any pharmacy (Apotek)  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Thom@s

Your Thoughts On Norway

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:29 am

WHAT REPUTATION!!!

Quoting Aloges (Reply 21):
being prodominantly good looking to gorgeous and being mostly blonde and blue-eyed, that kind of thing

That's the one...  Smile

Im hoping Bergen.....

Bergen is perhaps the nicest of the largest cities in Norway. A busy downtown with all the shops and events you need (Although they don't have many Baseball stadiums... Bergen's football (aka soccer) team, Brann, are top of the table in Norway at the moment. And the best part about Bergen is that it isn't far from the busy shopping streets to the scenic nature.

Depends on what you think is expensive...

A new CD: About $23. (150 NOK)
A new DVD: About $30 (200 NOK)
A litre of petrol/gas: $1,6 (11 NOK)
A half litre of beer in the pub: About $7 (45 NOK) (Prices vary of course)

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 23):
Norgies make bad jokes

Nah that's just me...

Quoting Doona (Reply 24):
I'm sorry, that sentence does not make any sense...

Just because it's nicer here than in cheap furniture land...  Wink

rotfl 

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 31):
Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 30):
and good luck trying to buy paracetamol (tylenol) anywhere!

Just go to any pharmacy (Apotek)

Or a grocery store. Most ordinary shops and supermarkets sell them.

Thom@s

TIA

Your Thoughts On Norway

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 32):
A half litre of beer in the pub: About $7 (45 NOK) (Prices vary of course)

Really? I paid consistently more (at least 55 NOK) for 330 ml when I was in Oslo in June. We only found one cheap bar, where beer was about 40 NOK, but that was a crappy place.

With that said, Norway was amazing and I had a blast there, despite the high prices, so I would recommend anyone to go there.

Thom@s

Your Thoughts On Norway

Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:07 am

Quoting Tia (Reply 33):
Really? I paid consistently more (at least 55 NOK) for 330 ml when I was in Oslo in June. We only found one cheap bar, where beer was about 40 NOK, but that was a crappy place.

Like I said the prices vary from place to place. We found a pub/nightclub in Bodø where beer went for like 30NOK. But the music was horrible, and mainly idiots go there, so it wasn't worth it.

Thom@s

KaiGywer
Crew

Your Thoughts On Norway

Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:34 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 34):
But the music was horrible, and mainly idiots go there

So you fit right in then? Big grin

Thom@s

Your Thoughts On Norway

Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:06 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 35):
So you fit right in then?

Nah, a bussload of people from the Sandefjord area turned up...  Wink

Thom@s

speedbird747BA

Your Thoughts On Norway

Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:49 am

More power to 'em.

I just showed them my Greenpeace certificate, and they let me go.

Greenpeace?!?!? ewww......

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 28):
The solar powered Whale harpoon.

Excellent idea!!

Cheers,
Kyle

Thom@s

Your Thoughts On Norway

Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:58 am

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Reply 37):
The solar powered Whale harpoon.

Excellent idea!!

Won't even leave the boat on cloudy days...  Wink

Thom@s

bill142

Your Thoughts On Norway

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:08 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 38):
Won't even leave the boat on cloudy days...

Which is what 364 out of 365 days of the year? I bet you guys can't wait for the next leap year where you'll get 2 sunny days.

FlyVirgin744

Your Thoughts On Norway

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:28 am

I spent just a few days in Norway this summer. It's one of my favorite places I've ever visited. That being said, there are a few things you should think about.

Do you like to drink? Beer is very expensive. Instead of going to a bar and drinking yourself silly you would have to pace yourself and enjoy your drink. Not just drinks, but all food is very expensive. I went into a 7-11 in Oslo, got two candy bars and two soft drinks and that was $14. You would have to talk to Norwegians about where to eat, of all the restaurants we ate at the food was awful. The only decent meal we had was fish and chips waiting for the barge at the Geiranger fjord.

Also watchout driving, speed limits are extemely slow by our US standards, and the roads are curvy tempting you to try out some nascar moves.

If you were to stay there a year, you must be an outdoors type. I would love to go biking, hiking, camping and all that good stuff. However if that isn't your fancy I would just try it out for the 6-8 weeks.

One thing I've noticed about Scandanavian girls (other than being extemely hot), they all like to smoke and will approach guys and initiate conversation asking for a light. So even if you do not smoke, have a lighter ready! GOD I miss those Scandanavian countries, you guys rock.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

speedbird747BA

Your Thoughts On Norway

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:04 am

Quoting FlyVirgin744 (Reply 40):
Do you like to drink?

Im underage, but i sure wont leave without trying some :P lol

So even if you do not smoke, have a lighter ready!

now thats advice!

Cheers,
Kyle

GAIsweetGAI

Your Thoughts On Norway

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:05 am

Bergen is perhaps the nicest of the largest cities in Norway

I disagree. Too many old houses.
Kristiansand is better, along with Mandal and Vigeland/Skofteland.
But then again, there aren't as many A/C at the Kristiansand airport to watch as in Flesland...
And I have to say, I'm a little biased (just a little).

Brann, are top of the table in Norway at the moment

Maybe, but I like Oslo-Lyn better. Their goalie is crazy.

[Edited 2006-09-26 03:07:39]
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Thom@s

Your Thoughts On Norway

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:30 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 39):
I bet you guys can't wait for the next leap year where you'll get 2 sunny days.

Hehe, depends where in Norway you are. We've had a very nice sunny summer this year, and so far September has been surprisingly warm. 18 degrees C last night.

of all the restaurants we ate at the food was awful. The only decent meal we had was fish and chips waiting for the barge at the Geiranger fjord.

Must be different "taste" in food I suppose. I personally think food in restaurants are quite good. It is probably the same for a Norwegian moving to the states for a year, as was the case with a former classmate of mine. He must not have liked the food much, so after a year of fast food he returned to Norway a year later nearly twice the size he was when he left. Big grin

Quoting GAIsweetGAI (Reply 42):
I disagree. Too many old houses.
Kristiansand is better,

Old buildings make it nice.  Wink The combination of old and modern looks nice in Bergen I think. Kristiansand is very nice as well, although I've only experienced it around Quartfestivalen, so it was probably a bit busier then than normal. I still say Bergen has more going on.

Quoting GAIsweetGAI (Reply 42):
Maybe, but I like Oslo-Lyn better. Their goalie is crazy.

Who is that?

Thom@s

lorenz

Your Thoughts On Norway

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:43 pm

Lyn's goalie, it gotta be Eddie Gustafsson the crazy Swede

Tough, there is only one REALDEAL team and that is Lillestrøm!

Now again, welcome to Norway

[Edited 2006-09-26 13:43:51]

Clogman

Your Thoughts On Norway

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:56 pm

I would say go for it as well.

I have been to Norway many times. And I enjoy it every time.
Norway has a wonderful nature and scenery around the fjords and on the west coast.

And if you get tired of Norway you can always take a trip to Denmark or Sweden for a couple of days or so. Flying around in Scandinavia is very cheap.

But for the love of God. Try to avoid that Viking wannabe Thom@s. He only means trouble.

Thom@s

Your Thoughts On Norway

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:44 pm

Quoting Lorenz (Reply 44):
Lyn's goalie, it gotta be Eddie Gustafsson the crazy Swede

Ah, I know the name and picture him before me, but apart from that I have no idea what he's up to on the pitch.

Quoting Lorenz (Reply 44):
Tough, there is only one REALDEAL team and that is Lillestrøm!

In my opinion there is no REALDEAL when it comes to Norwegian football at all... Hehe.

Quoting Clogman (Reply 45):
Try to avoid that Viking wannabe Thom@s. He only means trouble.

Pff, it is only because of women shoe-wearing Danes like yourself that plane tickets to Denmark are cheaper than a pack of bubblegum. How else would they get people to visit?

Thom@s  Wink

Sukhoi

Your Thoughts On Norway

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:15 am

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Reply 41):
Im underage, but i sure wont leave without trying some :P lol

So you are under 18 years old? If you are 18 you are allowed to buy beer and wine at the government shops vinmonopolet and drinking at bars. If you go to other European cities usually it´s only 16 years old to drink.

sukhoi

KaiGywer
Crew

Your Thoughts On Norway

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:50 am

Bergen's football (aka soccer) team, Brann, are top of the table in Norway at the moment

"Ja nå heiær vi på SF, vi er Vestfolds beste lag, vi tar seiern hjem til Hvalfangærbyn, Sandefjord Fotball er vi!" Big grin

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 36):
Nah, a bussload of people from the Sandefjord area turned up...

Yeah, those senior citizens that come by the busload can be dangerous. Just look at Sandefjord-Strömstad, or Larvik-Hirtshals...they're all there spending their pensions on cheap beer, wine, cigarettes, and meat, as well as slot machines  Wink

Quoting Sukhoi (Reply 47):
So you are under 18 years old? If you are 18 you are allowed to buy beer and wine at the government shops vinmonopolet and drinking at bars. If you go to other European cities usually it´s only 16 years old to drink.

Beer and winecoolers can be had at grocery stores at age 18. If you're not 18, just have somebody else show their ID instead. I did this once at Vinmonopolet, as I was 17, I couldn't buy anything. My friend showed his ID, I paid with my Visa card Big grin

speedbird747BA

Your Thoughts On Norway

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:59 am

Quoting Sukhoi (Reply 47):

darn......

Cheers,
Kyle