futureualpilot

Trevor Hoffman Breaks All Time MLB Save Record

Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:11 am

For those who are interested, San Diego Padres closer Trevor Hoffman broke Lee Smith's all time save record by recording career save #479 today.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...60924-1541-bbn-pirates-padres.html
Life is better when you surf.

piercey

RE: Trevor Hoffman Breaks All Time MLB Save Record

Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:15 am

The most forgotten pitcher in baseball. Great job Hoffman!
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

futureualpilot

Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:21 am

Quoting Piercey (Reply 1):

No kidding. I'd like to see what he could have done if he spent the past 13 seasons with the Yanks or Braves, instead of on teams that have been more or less sub .500 teams. Mariano Rivera my ass...the guy is good, but not the best.

AirCop

Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:23 am

Hoffman been doing this a long time, and still is one of the best in the business. More strikeouts than innings pitched, 479 saves in 817 games with a career E.RA of 2.70 over 13 years. Great stuff (not including this years all-star game) should be a strong candidate for the Hall of Fame.

coiah756ca

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:00 pm

Quoting FutureUALpilot (Thread starter):

He's on my fantasy team. Big grin
Long live Denver-STAPLETON. RIP the old and best KDEN

san747

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:07 pm

Wow! Great news for us San Diego fans! Plus (captain obvious moment here) if he got the save, that means SD got the win tonight! Helping maintain our 1st place position...

I'm heading to mlb.com right now!
Scotty doesn't know...

4holer

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:23 pm

Quoting Piercey (Reply 1):

Who?

Wink
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

fxramper

Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:57 am

I got Lidge on my fantasy team.  no 

S12PPL

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:20 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 3):
candidate

Cadidate??? He's a first ballot selection.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

KROC

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:46 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 8):
Cadidate??? He's a first ballot selection.

He should be, however Hall of Fame voters tend to treat closers like red headed step-children. We'll see 5 years after Hoff hangs'em up.

S12PPL

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:53 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 9):
He should be, however Hall of Fame voters tend to treat closers like red headed step-children.

Well, we should see if HOF voters have changed with the times with Edgar Martinez shows up on the ballot in 2008 I think it is. He was one of the all time greatest hitters in baseball history, and the best DH to ever play. It seemed like every time he stepped up to the plate he was hitting a doubble.

If Martinez can make it first ballot, then Hoffman is a lock.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

planesarecool

Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:00 am

Do you think the Pittsburgh Pirates lost it on purpose once they got to the bottom of the 9th, just to let Hoffman get the save in front of the home fans on the last game at Petco this season? I was watching the MLB.com 'gameday' utility and then later the highlights on Channel five over here in the UK, and one of the hitters (Bautista i think) swung (and missed) at three pitches well out of the strike zone, and the final hitter was almost jogging to first base. Also it's not as if the Pirates had anything to play for.

Nevertheless, what a great achievement by Trevor. I wonder how many more he will be able to rack up in his career.

san747

Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:11 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 11):
Nevertheless, what a great achievement by Trevor. I wonder how many more he will be able to rack up in his career

Well, there's only about 7 or 8 games left in the season, hopefully he can at least get another 4 or 5 saves this season... unless the Padres get a couple of blowout wins...

As for his career, I imagine Hoffman will be around at least another year... There's a good chance he could break 500...
Scotty doesn't know...

KROC

Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:22 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 10):
He was one of the all time greatest hitters in baseball history, and the best DH to ever play. It seemed like every time he stepped up to the plate he was hitting a doubble.

While I agree, if you don't own a glove, you are not playing the game as it was meant to be played.

Do you think the Pittsburgh Pirates lost it on purpose once they got to the bottom of the 9th, just to let Hoffman get the save in front of the home fans on the last game at Petco this season?

No. Thats ridiculous.

CastleIsland

Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:43 am

IIRC, Hoffman started out as an infielder. He couldn't hit a lick, so he was switched over to pitching by an obviously astute group of management. I think this was with the Marlins, or even in their or the Reds farm system.

Way to go.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

davestanKSAN

Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:30 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 14):
IIRC, Hoffman started out as an infielder. He couldn't hit a lick, so he was switched over to pitching by an obviously astute group of management.

Yep he started out as a Short Stop. Yes, very astute management!

Congrats Trevor!! He deserves it, he's a good guy. Highly regarded in the community for his efforts on and off the field.

Yesterday was "Shirts off their backs day" where the fans got to buy raffle tickets for a dollar I think (the money went to a Padres' charity). If you won, you got to go down on the field and a certain player would give you his jersey he wore in, or during the game (if he didn't play) with an autograph. But Trevor's jersey is headed to the Hall of Fame. They brought out another jersey. Haha.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

futureualpilot

Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 14):
IIRC, Hoffman started out as an infielder. He couldn't hit a lick, so he was switched over to pitching by an obviously astute group of management. I think this was with the Marlins, or even in their or the Reds farm system.

He was a shortstop in college, and I believe he did switch to pitcher while in the Reds farm system.

solarix

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:45 am

It was an awesome game. The Pads are playing good baseball...hopefully they can handle the Cards the next few days.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

piercey

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:00 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 7):
I got Lidge on my fantasy team. no

same...

and the final hitter was almost jogging to first base.

the final hitter tripped over his bat out of the batters box if you didn't see  Wink
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

planesarecool

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:42 am

Quoting Piercey (Reply 18):
the final hitter tripped over his bat out of the batters box if you didn't see

Oh right, no i didn't see it (we just get brief highlights over here, among the two live games per week).

Quoting Solarix (Reply 17):
It was an awesome game. The Pads are playing good baseball...hopefully they can handle the Cards the next few days.

Well they're doing ok so far, 5-1 up at the top of the 2nd. Early days yet, but a positive start nonetheless. Out of interest, I'm 'watching' on the "gameday" utility, and in the play-by-play box it said:

"Dave Roberts reaches on catcher interference by Yadier Molina. Mike Thompson to 2nd. Dave Roberts to 1st."

Could somebody enlighten me as to what a "catcher interference" is?

futureualpilot

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:51 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 19):
Could somebody enlighten me as to what a "catcher interference" is

IIRC, it is when the catcher interferes with the batter's swing, i.e. the bat hits the glove during the course of the swing, etc.

AirCop

Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:13 pm

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 8):
He's a first ballot selection.

Agreed, but that will be determined when he retires. If he should retire the same year when Barry Bonds, Roger Clements, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddox or Mike Piazza it could cause a log jam with the voters.