Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scaredflyer21
Topic Author

Wheatgrass Anyone?

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:59 am

I am currently doing a study on the health-related benefits of fresh wheatgrass juice for my nutrition course. This bitter tasting juice is said to have the equivalent of 2.2 lbs. of vegetable nutrients in just one ounce of it. I was just curious if anyone regulary drinks wheatgrass juice as part of their diet. If so, does it really work? I tend to have my doubts, but it never hurts to ask, eh?

Scaredflyer21

Frontiercpt

RE: Wheatgrass Anyone?

Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:09 pm

Hey, I don't know much about wheatgrass itself, but I go to a performing arts magnet school, and one of the underlying class themes in our dance program is nutrition. I've heard people talking about it a lot, asking others if they have had it and noticed any effects performance wise, but I don't know anything really. Just thought it was kind of funny that you mentioned this while all these peeps are talking about it :P

~Sean

vikkyvik

Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:24 pm

Does wheat beer count?

Mmmm...hefeweizen....

scaredflyer21
Topic Author

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:38 am

Thanks for the replies. I have not been able to try the stuff yet, but I am hoping to pretty soon.

cfcuq

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:47 am

I prefer a different kind of "grass".

N1120A

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:55 am

Quoting Scaredflyer21 (Reply 3):
I have not been able to try the stuff yet, but I am hoping to pretty soon.

Wheatgrass is usually available in juice bars and some smoothie shops.

Having grown up in Los Angeles and lived among the organic set in Santa Monica and West Hollywood, I am quite familiar with wheatgrass. The stuff is actually rather sweet at first but has the worst aftertaste I may have ever encountered. What I can say for it is that after having a 1 oz. shot, it feels almost instantly like I have chugged 10 espressos and I feel incredibly well after it.

vivek0072

Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:51 am

I have had a couple of times, at various jamaba juice locations. I don't know how it helps exactly but my mom says they are a good source of anti-toxidants and improves your digestive system especially if you suffer from acidity. But I have noticed that it stopped any new skin blemishes from erupting.

Aerotik

Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:19 am

A hard-driving liberal Democrat friend of mine swears by wheatgrass for its properties of rejuvenation, internal cleansing, scoring with the chicks and getting more liberal democratic votes while running a campaign against stodgy gin swilling Republicans than with any other health drink.

Cheers to the shot (o' wheatgrass) that's hailed around the world.

In my neck of the woods there used to be a health centre by the name of "Hippocrates" where regular wheat grass drinking was part of the "cure".
I believe you can find clinics in FL that still service tired, rusty bodies with wheatgrass antioxidants.

N1120A

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:32 am

Quoting Vivek0072 (Reply 6):
I have had a couple of times, at various jamaba juice locations.

The stuff at Jamba is rather low quality, but it is the only choice in some places. Whole Foods Market sells a flash frozen variety that claims to preserve the vast majority of the goodness.

Quoting Vivek0072 (Reply 6):
anti-toxidants

Antioxidents. They prevent cells from oxidizing into free radicals, which cause major damage. That is the reason your skin is better

David L

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:00 am

Quoting Frontiercpt (Reply 1):
Hey, I don't know much about wheatgrass itself, but I go to a performing arts magnet school...

I have to say I did wonder where on earth you were going with that.  Smile

cptkrell

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:09 am

I guess I've been "out of the loop". I first heard of wheatgrass (IIFC) when GWB mentioned it a while back as a viable study for alternative auto fuels.

Having been subjected to the heralding of an uncountable number of health fads over the last half+ century of my lifetime, and casually observing that NONE of them work as "advertised", allow me to be skeptical. I am thinking that a common-sense, well-balanced diet and a goodly degree of excercise is the only way to go. I am also thinking that supplimental nutrient manufacturers and fad advertisers will wholeheartedly disagree with me. Regards...jack

vikkyvik

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:19 am

Quoting David L (Reply 9):
I have to say I did wonder where on earth you were going with that.

Seriously!

I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night....

N1120A

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:27 am

Quoting Cptkrell (Reply 10):
Having been subjected to the heralding of an uncountable number of health fads over the last half+ century of my lifetime, and casually observing that NONE of them work as "advertised", allow me to be skeptical. I am thinking that a common-sense, well-balanced diet and a goodly degree of excercise is the only way to go. I am also thinking that supplimental nutrient manufacturers and fad advertisers will wholeheartedly disagree with me.

Wheatgrass isn't some sort of fad. It has been used for thousands of years, much in the way other juices are.

cptkrell

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:40 am

"Wheatgrass...has been used for thousands of years...in the way other juices are."

Good. Never heard of it.

Never heard of it (or any other juices or bugs or lizard livers or anything other such fad) being profoundly instrumental in a substantial clinical verification for all its (their) mystical health benifits.

Snake oil I say. Snake oil I say!! Regards...jack

N1120A

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting Cptkrell (Reply 13):
Never heard of it (or any other juices or bugs or lizard livers or anything other such fad) being profoundly instrumental in a substantial clinical verification for all its (their) mystical health benifits.

Do you think oranges and strawberries are good for you? I would guess you do, given that they are both very high in vitamin C, which is an antioxidant and has proved time and again to fight cell damage and death. Same thing with wheatgrass, and there is nothing fadish about it.

cptkrell

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:56 am

I love strawberries and oranges (although I gather that TOO many oranges will give you TOO much sugar), but the point I was making is that I've never heard of wheatgrass until lately. Like I said, I guess I've been out of the loop. Still sounds like the next fad.

Of course, I never heard of gingivitus, even from the dentist back in the 50's. Now it's an advertising pillar for toothpaste. Same deal. If you regularly brush your teeth and gums you'll probably never even need to hear about gingivitus until the TV tells you. If you excercise and eat a well-balanced diet you probably don't need to hear about wheatgrass or Centrum Silver tablets or being two Pilates away from a bronzed god (or goddess) until the TV, or A.net, tells you.

Again...snake oil! Regards...jack

N1120A

Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:33 am

Quoting Cptkrell (Reply 15):
Still sounds like the next fad.

What fad? This stuff has been around for years and I have never noticed a particular waxing or waning in its popularity

Of course, I never heard of gingivitus, even from the dentist back in the 50's. Now it's an advertising pillar for toothpaste. Same deal. If you regularly brush your teeth and gums you'll probably never even need to hear about gingivitus until the TV tells you.

Statistics say that everyone gets gingivitus at sometime in their lives. The best was to prevent it is actually flossing.

being two Pilates away from a bronzed god

What is wrong with Pilates? It is just another form of exercise. I lift weights, swim and play raquetball. Others do Pilates. Big deal

eat a well-balanced diet

And what is that? Making sure you drink a glass of whole milk with your artery and colon clogging steak and having a loaded baked potato and butter covered brocolli with it?

but the point I was making is that I've never heard of wheatgrass until lately. Like I said, I guess I've been out of the loop.

There is no loop about it. I have known about wheatgrass pretty much as long as I have been aware of my own dietary choices.

Get over your pre-programmed dismissal of all you are not familiar with as "snake oil"

lnglive1011yyz

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:25 am

Quoting Scaredflyer21 (Thread starter):
I am currently doing a study on the health-related benefits of fresh wheatgrass juice for my nutrition course. This bitter tasting juice is said to have the equivalent of 2.2 lbs. of vegetable nutrients in just one ounce of it. I was just curious if anyone regulary drinks wheatgrass juice as part of their diet. If so, does it really work? I tend to have my doubts, but it never hurts to ask, eh?

Holy crap, I thought I was the only person who had heard about Wheatgrass.

I did some work for a couple up north here in Toronto who actually grow wheatgrass and sell and promote "wheatgrassjuice".

I tried some while doing the work for them, but found it to be very very very 'cow-like'. I felt like I was grazing literally on grass (which is EXACTLY what I was doing) HAHAHA

wow..

1011yyz

cptkrell

Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:33 am

N1120A sez (Rep 16)..."I have known about wheatgrass pretty much as long as I have been aware of my own dietary choices."

Whew...judging from your profile, your "dietary choices" have been for what(?)...ten or eleven years? I'll make a note. Then put it in the circular file.

Humbug to all the latent teeny-bopper fadsters! And the George C. Scott "Flim Flam Man" wannabes! I say again...Snake Oil! Regards..jack

P.S. Your rebuttal-quote answering my suggestion to "eat a well-balanced diet" advertises that you may very well be on the right track for a shilling of snake-oil dietary intake supplimented by Weeendzorrr for a future best-seller. Regards (again)...jack. Snake Oil! (again!)

N1120A

Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:44 pm

Quoting Cptkrell (Reply 18):
Whew...judging from your profile, your "dietary choices" have been for what(?)...ten or eleven years? I'll make a note. Then put it in the circular file.

Try 15.

cptkrell

Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:54 pm

"Try 15."

Well, I have another additional forty years on you and perhaps you wouldn't believe what dietary fads I've seen come and go during that time.

I'll give this thread a rest now and hope those who do choose to enjoy wheatgrass and other "stuff" actually realize a benifit. Regards...jack

N1120A

Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:57 pm

Quoting Cptkrell (Reply 20):
Well, I have another additional forty years on you and perhaps you wouldn't believe what dietary fads I've seen come and go during that time.

Yeah, I have seen the same. Even tried a few when I decided to lose 50 pounds. Diet and exercise worked for me. That includes stuff like wheatgrass.