Cadet57
Topic Author

Hostage Situation At CO High School

Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:26 am

Just caught this on CNN.... lone gunman takes hostages at a high school. Says he has a bomb as well... One hostage released. More to follow

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/27/school.shooting/index.html

ps, ran search...
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

usnseallt82

RE: Hostage Situation At CO High School

Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:49 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Thread starter):
Hostage Situation At CO High School

I saw this on the news just a little while ago. Hopefully everything will work out soon.

Pathetic for someone to do this.  redflag 
Crye me a river

IFEMaster

Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:55 am

I think this is another queue for a war of words between the NRA and the anti-gun crowd. It really is a shame that people feel compelled to do things like this.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Cadet57
Topic Author

Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 2):
I think this is another queue for a war of words between the NRA and the anti-gun crowd.

I beg to differ. Im a hunter and avid shooter but I feel the NRA is a bunch of gun toting nut bags. What really needs to be done is that the government needs to make sure scum like this nut dont come to own or get guns. Now I dont know weather he had his guns legally or not. But for the sake of arguement, if he had them legally. He should not have been able to puchase them.

searpqx

Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:08 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 2):
I think this is another queue for a war of words between the NRA and the anti-gun crowd.

I hope not, but I'm afraid you'll probably be proven correct.

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 1):
Pathetic for someone to do this. redflag

Sad is more my feeling. Sad that someone gets messed up enough that can concieve of doing something this sick, sad that innocent kids are in danger, sad that its seems to be a regular occurance in our society these days.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

IFEMaster

Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 3):
I beg to differ. Im a hunter and avid shooter but I feel the NRA is a bunch of gun toting nut bags.

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 4):
I'm afraid you'll probably be proven correct.

Let me clarify a little what I meant. My wife and I own a gun (she is the registered owner as I was not a US citizen when it was purchased) that we keep in the house for protection purposes - anyone breaks in and they'll lose their kneecaps quicker than Chuck Norris could roundhouse them - and we both go to a local gun club every now and then to maintain the few shooting skills we need with our little pistol. I'm not entirely anti-gun by any means, but I am anti-weaponry-that-the-average-guy-doesn't-need-to-own. The laws surrounding gun ownership can be incredibly wide and allowing for what type of weapon a US citizen can purchase. There's just no need for Mr & Mrs Average with 2.4 kids to own an AK-47.

Unfortunately, the law does allow this. And whenever something happens like today's hold-up, or the Columbine shooting, etc., then the anti-gun lobby always come out pointing their fingers at the NRA. Like Cadet57, I too think that the NRA are trigger-happy nut-jobs, and what this country really needs is a sensible review of the guns laws that allow ownership within reason, and prevent nutters like today's hostage taker from ever getting their hands on a weapon.

Having said that, you never know what could drive a man over the edge. It's feesible that someone of upstanding nature, with a clean background and low temperament; someone who has all the qualities you'd want to see in someone entrusted with a firearm; could one day just crack - his wife leaves him for his best friend, he loses his job and car and house, his kids get killed by a drunk driver - grab his .45 and go looking for revenge...just a thought.

B777-700

Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:25 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 5):
ving said that, you never know what could drive a man over the edge. It's feesible that someone of upstanding nature, with a clean background and low temperament; someone who has all the qualities you'd want to see in someone entrusted with a firearm; could one day just crack - his wife leaves him for his best friend, he loses his job and car and house, his kids get killed by a drunk driver - grab his .45 and go looking for revenge...just a thought

Right, so how do you stop that? Take away his gun?
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

IFEMaster

Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:27 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 6):
Right, so how do you stop that? Take away his gun?

I don't know how you stop it; my point being that no matter how tight the gun laws are, short of an outright ban (that I can see both sides of the argument on), there will always be unfortunate situations like this.

What would your suggestion be?

Cadet57
Topic Author

Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:27 am

Thanks for clearing that up. I see your point now. Very good post. I agree with everything you say there. And the sad thing is is that it takes somethin like this or Columbine for americans to get their collective heads out of their rears and think... pisses me off because they then try to ruin it for the average gun owner and enthusiast..

I'm not entirely anti-gun by any means, but I am anti-weaponry-that-the-average-guy-doesn't-need-to-own

Such as deer hunters who carry an M-16 with armor piercing bullets... Why?

B777-700

Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:33 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 7):
I don't know how you stop it; my point being that no matter how tight the gun laws are, short of an outright ban (that I can see both sides of the argument on), there will always be unfortunate situations like this.

What would your suggestion be?

Take away the guns.  Wink

Newark777

Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 9):
Take away the guns.

Figure out a way to take the guns away from the gang members and the thugs, and you may be on to something. Besides that, your taking guns out of law abiding citizens, and your policy is useless.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

B777-700

Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:40 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 10):
Figure out a way to take the guns away from the gang members and the thugs, and you may be on to something. Besides that, your taking guns out of law abiding citizens, and your policy is useless.

Is it? What is your solution for this then...it happens a lot:

Having said that, you never know what could drive a man over the edge. It's feesible that someone of upstanding nature, with a clean background and low temperament; someone who has all the qualities you'd want to see in someone entrusted with a firearm; could one day just crack - his wife leaves him for his best friend, he loses his job and car and house, his kids get killed by a drunk driver - grab his .45 and go looking for revenge...just a thought.

searpqx

Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:59 am

Let me clarify a little what I meant.

Spot on, and I agree with you on all counts. I don't currently own a gun, but I grew up with them. If I lived in a situation/area where I felt it necessary, either for protection or food or even sport (target shooting), I wouldn't think twice about having another gun. But I do think our gun laws are a joke, and I think that the NRA's knee jerk reaction to any talk of gun control will only continure to polarize the issue, making it worse before it gets better.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

IFEMaster

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:25 am

Take away the guns.

The problem with that is that you then incite rebuttals from groups like the ACLU (who I'm not a fan of, by the way), and you're also talking about a constitutional ammendment. The majority of gun owner are peaceful, law-abiding citizens who would pretty much revolt at the idea of someone taking their gun away.

I must admit that I wasn't keen on the idea of owning a gun when I first moved here, but with a father-in-law who is a retired LAPD officer, and a wife who grew up around his guns, I became comfortable with them. We live in a safe area, a gated community, that doesn't have a history of break-ins or anything like that. But, there are some nice homes down the road with some big-money living in them. They would be prime targets, and our proximity to them makes us a target too. We feel a bit safer knowing that if our burglar alarm goes off in the middle of the night, there is a loaded Kel-Tec .32 and a Mag-Lite just a few feet away.

Halcyon

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:58 am

Well, aside from the gun debate, the shooter has been killed. I'm glad he was killed too, kudos to the SWAT team. My prayers are for the young lady who is in critical condition though. I hope she is fine, and her family staying strong.

worried  What a terrible thing. People like that deserve to be ended.  Sad

Lucas

usnseallt82

Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 4):
Sad is more my feeling. Sad that someone gets messed up enough that can concieve of doing something this sick, sad that innocent kids are in danger, sad that its seems to be a regular occurance in our society these days.

Agreed.  checkmark 
Crye me a river

KSYR

Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:56 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 11):
Is it? What is your solution for this then...it happens a lot:

There isn't one. Take away the gun and the man will use a knife, a car, scissors, a baseball bat...

pilotfox

Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:08 am

How long before the NRA comes and has a gun rally in the city?

Cadet57
Topic Author

Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:24 am

Quoting Pilotfox (Reply 17):

3 weeks

stirthepot 

Newark777

Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:28 am

How long before Rosie Odonnel and company get together and demand guns be taken from everyone in the country?

Harry

MDorBust

Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:33 am

There's just no need for Mr & Mrs Average with 2.4 kids to own an AK-47.

Really? Is there any reason for this weapon?

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 600 File size: 70kb
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

F9Widebody

Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:44 pm

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 14):
My prayers are for the young lady who is in critical condition though. I hope she is fine, and her family staying strong.

She's now passed away.
YES URLS in signature!!!

VHVXB

Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:03 pm

Quoting F9Widebody (Reply 21):
Quoting Halcyon (Reply 14):
My prayers are for the young lady who is in critical condition though. I hope she is fine, and her family staying strong.

She's now passed away.

heres a link
http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...ting/2006/09/28/1159337247927.html

gocaps16

Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:06 pm

Just before the SWAT team arrived to rescue the girl, he shot her and then shot himself...killing both. Damn that fucker....

Kevin

Thom@s

Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:07 pm

A tragedy indeed, but still given previous incidents like this, it could have ended a lot worse...

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Twistedwhisper

Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:16 pm

It would be interesting to see some stats on the following:
On an annual basis:
1. How many crimes are stopped by armed civilians
2. How many people are harmed by weapons at home
3. How many civilians are killed by another civilian with firearm.

I mean, sure, you have the right to protect you and yours, including your property.
But you do also have the right to go to school without have to face the risk of being killed by a firearm within the school premises.
And you have the right to be able to go, unarmed, to a movie, restaurants or what ever, without risking your life on your way home.
Hell, you have to God damn right to be able to walk in a dark isolated alley at 4 in the morning without being mugged and shot.

My point is that in the current USA, guns do more harm than good. They should be banned. Guns are for public servants at particular risk (police for instance) and military personnel. Special exceptions could be made for hunters, but they would have to prove themselves suitable for handling a potentially lethal weapon, that has a primary function of inflicting injuries on a body. If you have been inprisoned you have proven yourself NOT suitable. If ex-convicts can't vote, they sure as hell shouldn't be allowed to carry arms.

And don't come with the worn out argument that the primary function of an firearm is to deter someone. Guns do more bad than good, period.

Facts from 2003:
In the US there were 30,136 gun deaths.

• 16,907 suicides (56% of all U.S gun deaths)
  • 11,920 homicides (40% of all U.S gun deaths)
  • 730 unintentional shootings (2% of all U.S gun deaths)
  • 347 from legal intervention and 232 from undetermined intent (2% of all U.S gun deaths combined)

Source:CDC National Center for Health Statistics, 2006
Read between the lines.

RichardPrice

Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:28 pm

To clarify, the NRA could not have moved that meeting as it was against the law to do so because they could not give all of their members attending the required notice period - but that doest stop lowlifes deliberatly taking it out of context and using as negative publicity, now does it?

Assuming of course you are talking about the one highlighted in Bowling for Columbine (a very fine bit of creative editing).

pilotaydin

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:24 pm

i can't believe that poor girl had to go through that and die like that....what the hell is her family ever going to do now? im more scared of this world as the days go by.....wow...
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

Thom@s

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:47 pm

I'm just happy I went to school in Norway...

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

MDorBust

Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:02 pm

Quoting TWISTEDWHISPER (Reply 25):
It would be interesting to see some stats on the following:
On an annual basis:
1. How many crimes are stopped by armed civilians
2. How many people are harmed by weapons at home
3. How many civilians are killed by another civilian with firearm.

1. According to very outdated DOJ numbers, approximately 82,500 annually. I suspect this number to have risen since the 1992 finding.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/ascii/hvfsdaft.txt

2. According to you, 730

3. According to you, 11,920

And you have the right to be able to go, unarmed, to a movie, restaurants or what ever, without risking your life on your way home.
Hell, you have to God damn right to be able to walk in a dark isolated alley at 4 in the morning without being mugged and shot.

You live in an interesting crime free world. Why don't you come over here to the US and become the attorney general so you can get us all sorted out and make crime go away. After all, it's apparently our right to live in a crime free world, so it shouldn't be that hard for you to implement after all... right?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

ANCFlyer

Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:19 pm

And don't come with the worn out argument that the primary function of an firearm is to deter someone. Guns do more bad than good, period.

Horsecrap.

Why don't you take your own advice and spare us the same worn out, irrelevent, inane arguments about why responsible gun owners shouldn't own guns.

Why don't you look up the statistics on how many guns crimes were committed with weapons that are legally owned? Can't do that though, now can you - it would blow your theories all to hell and back.

My point is that in the current USA, guns do more harm than good.

Opinion

They should be banned

redflag 

If ex-convicts can't vote, they sure as hell shouldn't be allowed to carry arms.

I suppose you think these assmonkeys just walk into Guns-R-Us and walk out with an AK-47 don't you.  sarcastic 

Like I said, go look up the statistics for crimes committed with legally owned weapons . . .

Guns do more bad than good, period.

More opinion. Wrong of course . . .

I'll keep my guns thank you . . . and proudly . . .

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/csmpep/DutyWeapons.jpg
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Queso

Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:23 pm

There's just no need for Mr & Mrs Average with 2.4 kids to own an AK-47.

Take away the guns.

My point is that in the current USA, guns do more harm than good. They should be banned. Guns are for public servants at particular risk (police for instance) and military personnel.

Guns do more bad than good, period.

IFEMaster

Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:03 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 20):
Really? Is there any reason for this weapon?

I have no idea what your point is or what you're asking. It sounds like you're disagreeing with me, but then questioning the existence of the weapon.

itsjustme

Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:13 am

Just caught the press conference by Sheriff Fred Wegener who was charged with the decision to give the order to rush the gunman. Still no known motive, at least that officials are releasing, for the attack. New information is that some or all of the hostages, all females, had been sexually assaulted prior to being released. Sick, cowardly mother fucker.

[Edited 2006-09-28 17:15:03]

MDorBust

Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:22 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 32):
I have no idea what your point is or what you're asking. It sounds like you're disagreeing with me, but then questioning the existence of the weapon.

You've taken a stance against civilian ownership of certain types of firearms. I'm guessing that it's based on the "No practical purpose" reasoning.

So, I'd like some clarification. You've already come out against the ownership of the AK-47, so I've propositioned another weapon that doesn't have a scary household name but does share many of the same characteristics of the AK-47. Such as:

• It is a military grade assault rifle
  • It has a removable high capacity magazine
  • It has a bayonet lug
  • It is semi-automatic, self loading
  • It has a pistol grip
  • It has a combination muzzle break/flash suppressor
  • It can have an optional additional recoil dampening system
  • It fires military grade ammunition
  • If modified it could fire automatic

Even more. This weapon:

• Has an added tactical rail mounting system
  • Has had the optional recoil dampening system installed
  • Has a lento adjustable stock installed
  • Has a military grade illuminated post scope
  • Has a vertical fore grip
  • Has a pressure activated light and point laser.

So, I've added a weapon without scary name recognition. Now, is there a purpose for the common citizen to own this weapon? Or is there no good reason for a citizen to own this weapon and it should be outlawed?

Cadet57
Topic Author

Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:27 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 34):
Now, is there a purpose for the common citizen to own this weapon?

You named an M16/M4. Personally I dont feel that Joe or Jane Gunowner needs one. I beleive those should be reserved to Law Enforcement/Military trained professionals.

Newark777

Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 35):
Personally I dont feel that Joe or Jane Gunowner needs one.

A lot of things aren't needed and can be considered deadly weapons. Let's ban those as well.

Harry

Cadet57
Topic Author

Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:39 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 36):
Let's ban those as well.

Starting with?

IFEMaster

Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 34):
You've taken a stance against civilian ownership of certain types of firearms. I'm guessing that it's based on the "No practical purpose" reasoning.

You are correct, and I used a specific example to illustrate an entire category of firearms that your average citizen doesn't NEED to own. Are they fun to fire? I'm sure. Are they complete and utter overkill? Yes. This is where gun law needs to be tightened. I'm all for gun ownership, but within reason. Unless of course you can provide with a good reason why the average citizen NEEDS to have an arsenal of military grade assault weapons at his or her disposal.

Queso

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:18 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 38):
Unless of course you can provide with a good reason why the average citizen NEEDS to have an arsenal of military grade assault weapons at his or her disposal.

Looks like you might want to go back and review your own country's history to see how close it was to being invaded by foreign forces. Just like the Police not being everywhere they are needed at once, the military might not be able to stop an invading force some day, or be able to respond to an Islamic Extremist event of some type.

All I know is that the best protection my family and myself have is me and our firearms.

Queso

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:23 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 37):
Starting with?

Cars.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-10-10-hitandrun_x.htm

"Man plows car into crowd, killing 1, injuring 5
ELMWOOD PLACE, Ohio (AP) - Police were searching Monday for a man who allegedly drove his car into a crowd of people on a sidewalk, killing one and injuring five, after getting into a fight about a soccer match.
Rey Serrano, 19, of Elmwood Place, drove his Lincoln Town Car into the crowd Sunday, striking six men and hitting a utility pole before running away, police said."

Plenty more examples if you need them.

Cadet57
Topic Author

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:28 am

Quote:
Authorities in the Cincinnati suburb said Serrano may have run down the men in retaliation for a confrontation about a soccer match between Mexico and Guatemala. Mexico won 5-2 in Saturday night's World Cup qualifying game.

Ok. So he used a soccer game as a motive and a car as a weapon for murder. And this guy does not strike you as the least bit, whats the word.... nuts? Now I really am trying to listen to your arguement. But I just cant see how you can say that more people are using cars as weapons compared to a gun or other violent weapon.

Newark777

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:31 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 37):
Starting with?

And while we're at it, let's ban violent video games and books containing violence. We wouldn't want to be giving anyone any bad ideas.  Yeah sure

Who are you to tell you what I need, and therefore can't have?

Harry

Newark777

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 41):
But I just cant see how you can say that more people are using cars as weapons compared to a gun or other violent weapon.

Who said more people are using it? That's you saying that. If you ban guns, people would just use black market guns and other weapons for crime.

We all see how much the War on Drugs has stopped drug use.

Harry

Cadet57
Topic Author

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:36 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 42):
Who are you to tell you what I need, and therefore can't have?

Im not anyone to tell you anything. Thats why there are laws. All I was saying was that people SHOULD NOT be able to have an M16. That is called an opinion. I have one, and it is quite clear that you do as well. Furthermore, it seems as if each of ours are in contrdiction of eachother.

IFEMaster

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:38 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 39):
All I know is that the best protection my family and myself have is me and our firearms.

Que the eye rolling. That hardly justifies owning weapons that don't just kill, but literally blow to pieces.

Look, I'm not anti-gun. If you've read the thread, you'll know that my wife and I are gun owners. I fail to see the need for military grade weaponry in the home, though. Honestly, if the country gets invaded, whatever arsenal you have isn't going to do much to stop an invading force.

Again, I ask for someone to give me a good, valid reason for fully automatic, laser-sighted weapons in the average joe's home. I've there is a good and valid reason, then great. I just can't find one.

Newark777

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 44):
Im not anyone to tell you anything.

If you are advocating banning guns, then yes, you are trying to tell everyone in the US that they can't posses firearms.

Harry

Cadet57
Topic Author

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:42 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 46):
If you are advocating banning guns, then yes, you are trying to tell everyone in the US that they can't posses firearms.

Im not advocating banning guns. As I said above, im and avid hunter and sport shooter. But all I am getting at is that I dont see a need for the average gun owner to need an automatic weapon. If the governement wants to enact that ban, fine. You wont see me protesting either for or against it.

Newark777

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:48 am

Where do you draw the line then? What's more dangerous, an automatic pistol or a semi-automatic high power rifle? What are gun collectors going to do, throw out part of their collection??

The problem is that your solution looks good on paper, but accomplishes little. People will still kill, and this type of ban still leaves rifles and pistols out there. How many violent crimes are actually committed with legally owned assault weapons?

Harry

MDorBust

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:04 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 35):
You named an M16/M4.

That is not a M16/M4.

Poor firearms legislation starts with poor firearms education.

Are they complete and utter overkill?

That depends on what the weapon is used for. An AR-15 against a grizzly bear isn't overkill... in fact, it's pretty stupid. Then again, a BMG rifle against an armadillo is overkill. It's all about how the weapon is employed.

Unless of course you can provide with a good reason why the average citizen NEEDS to have an arsenal of military grade assault weapons at his or her disposal.

Big version: Width: 600 Height: 800 File size: 150kb

Looks like a pretty good reason to me.

Take a close look. It's the same rifle.

The tactical rail and light set up is because hogs are often hunted at dawn, dusk or at night.

The adjustable stock is because in various hunting seasons you wear different layers of clothing that adjusts your effective arm length

The recoil abosrbtion system and muzzle break is so you can have a quick follow up shot in case you just piss off the hog (450lbs of pissed off hog isn't fun) and need to shoot again.

The military grade sighting system, pistol grip, and vertical fore grip are for very quick targeting in what can be dangerously close quarters.

The high capacity magazine is because hogs can travel in family groups of more than twenty... three to five rounds might not be enough if you walk into a sleeping sow and her piglets.

Now, want to advise me on my legitimate use weapon choice?

Then again.. you have a .32 for home defense...