senorcarnival

Have You Ever Stayed Up All Night...

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:12 pm

...for academic or professional reasons? Or all day for those who work nights...

Tonight is the first time that I've stayed up all night for school or work. I don't want a medal or anything since this was mostly self-inflicted because I procrastinated til 9pm when I saw the 930am test is 25% of my final grade.
I've used yellow jackets (their official name is swarm) and drank lots of water (I think close to a gallon by now) since these pills apparently dehydrate the crap out of you, to make this possible. I had already read the chapters and taken notes, but by 9pm I realized that I really hadn't learned much just by taking notes without reviewing them so I'm not exactly expecting that miracles will happen from studying like this but I'd just like to hear some other stories of fellow A.netters who have sacrificed a night's sleep for academic or professional excellence.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

MYT332

RE: Have You Ever Stayed Up All Night...

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:15 pm

All night? Lad, after 10 minutes I'm wasted!

Signed,
Banco
One Life, Live it.

Kieron747

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:22 pm

Quoting Senorcarnival (Thread starter):
for academic or professional reasons?

When writing my Ph.D thesis. I was awake from Sunday morning until Thursday afternoon if I recall correctly. No sleep whatsoever, and I couldn't eat either as I was so stressed.

At the end of this session I was a complete wreck. Nervous, paranoid, and hallucinating. Never, ever again!

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

ag92

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:27 pm

I once woke up all night due to a test the day after. I really wanted to ace the test. In the end I only managed fourth due to silly mistakes

Cheers

VHVXB

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:28 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 2):
When writing my Ph.D thesis. I was awake from Sunday morning until Thursday afternoon if I recall correctly. No sleep whatsoever, and I couldn't eat either as I was so stressed.

At the end of this session I was a complete wreck. Nervous, paranoid, and hallucinating. Never, ever again!

Kieron747

And how many days did you sleep after that?

I'd just like to hear some other stories of fellow A.netters who have sacrificed a night's sleep for academic or professional excellence.

I did this when I had to do my law exam recently and won't do it again its very hard to concentrate and to stay focused

nighthawk

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:31 pm

I once did 48 hours without sleep back at uni.

I awoke at 2pm one friday afternoon, as all good students should do. That night we all went out on the town, and arrived home at 4am. A friend and I sat watching dvds all night, and didnt bother sleeping. Then the saturday night we went out, and again arrived home at 4am. I then realised if I stayed awake until 2pm I would have been awake for 48 hours. My friend made it till about 9am before collapsing......... I made it through to 2pm on the sunday, then went to bed.

I slept for about 48 hours after that Big grin

Clogman

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:34 pm

...for academic or professional reasons?

Does drinking count as a professional reason??

senorcarnival

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:37 pm

Quoting Clogman (Reply 6):

If you get paid to drink, then yes.  Smile
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

skidmarks

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:39 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 2):
Nervous, paranoid, and hallucinating. Never, ever again!

Hasn't worn off yet then? Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Kieron747

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:39 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 4):
And how many days did you sleep after that?

I really can't remember. I was in a right state after submitting my thesis. A terrible sense of anti-climax and semi-depression after 5 years work and 60,000 words!

I'm glad all that is over! Nowadays, I wouldn't even consider an all nighter, but luckily I wouldn't really have to do it anyway, unless it was for travel or leisure purpose.  Wink

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

Thom@s

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:56 pm

During my "Russetid" (celebration period towards the end of upper secondary school in Norway) I was part of the team who were to make the school's "Russeavis." A newspaper full of made up stories and other funny things related mainly to the school. (i.e. making fun of teachers).

Well, we were running a bit late, and so a few days before deadline, we started working really hard. At least one entire night was spent working on the newspaper, although as we got overtired in the end we didn't get all that much work done.

Then as the sunrise came through the windows, we got ready for another day of school. (awake for 28 hours, and going to school, great idea.) But along the way we stopped at two of our teachers' houses and woke them up with loud music, while doing aerobics exercises in their front yard. (One of them was obsessed with aerobics.)

The following day at school was... hard.

I have not been up all night during parties as far as I can remember. I would be asleep by 5-6 AM.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

MDorBust

Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:44 pm

...for academic or professional reasons? Or all day for those who work nights...

It used to be my job to stay up all night.

You think there are some odd people out during the day? Take your random pick of almost anyone out and about at four in the morning and you are almost guaranteed for entertainment that the finest Hollywood script writers can't make up.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

AzoresLover

Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:54 pm

Oh, yeah...

At Ohio State working on my Bachelor's degree I pulled all-nighters at least twice a quarter. One time I did two in a row...man, was I wiped out that third day of classes with no sleep...I couldn't concentrate on anything, and kept sort of drifting off into a stupor. It definitely wasn't worth it.

Thank heavens that's over!!! Never again! Fortunately, I finished my Masters degree without having to pull any all-nighters!
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

don81603

Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:01 pm

The first time I went to Australia, I was awake from 6AM Tuesday to 6AM Thursday CDT. Still had a hard time getting to sleep.

Other than that, it's quite common for me to sleep during the day and be up working most of the night. Less traffic on the roads and I can make good time.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Doona

Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:18 pm

Everytime I have exams. A few thousand volts of caffeine and I'm good to go.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

PlymSpotter

Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:40 pm

All nighters are quite a regular occurrence for me, either because I'm doing work or I'm travelling. A few weeks ago I had to do three in the space of 6 days; first night I was on the road all night taking my grandparents 130 miles to an airport and then driving back, after that I had to wait up all day for a delivery and then drove a further 230 miles to Birmingham with friends. Slept well that night, but the following evening I spent the evening in a pub and then on a coach to LHR. Then a few days later I spent the night in Barcelona airport and didn't get any sleep then either.

Still, it doesn't really bother me doing an all nighter, the most difficult part is after about 25 hours awake when you feel really tired, but get through that and I can comfortable carry on until 40-45 hours.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

AirCop

Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:09 pm

Some emergency situations, like flooding,along with the 1989 earthquake in San Francisco, riots (think Rodney King) etc stayed up over 24 hours at a time, ditto for some events in the military. Never stayed up overnight for a school test, I figured if I didn't know it then whats the use, theory must have correct as I do have a Master's degree.

[Edited 2006-09-28 15:10:38]

ltbewr

Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:15 pm

In my work as a legal assistant for law firms in NY City, I did a number or 'all nighters', not getting home until daybreak or one time about noon the next day, at work for over 26 hours. One time I did an all nighter, went to bed at about 8 am, woke up about 12:45 pm (about 5 hours later) to the news of the Oklahoma City Federal Building terror bombing. Not a nice thing to wake up to.

Cadet985

Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:18 pm

I've pulled all-nighters twice.....both were spent packing up my dorm at the end of the school year so I could go home. Maybe this year I'll actually remember to start packing a few days in advance.

Marc

HAWK21M

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:18 am

I work 5 nights/week on the Tarmac.On my Weekend offs I can't rest before 0300hrs.So I try to Study.Red Bull helps too.
Its over 15 yrs doing nights & its a routine now.
Make sure you sleep well in the day.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

carmenlu15

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:44 am

Never pulled an all-nighter, but I was close once... I had already committed to help Mom with a college assignment, and kept telling myself "there's time tomorrow" for several days... until the due date was too damn close. So I sat at the computer all night reading and typing...  tired 

The only reason I went to sleep at 5:00 am just to wake up at 5:45, was that I was due for polygraph testing at work the next day. I spent the whole day feeling like crap, and the test didn't help either. And I couldn't finish the assignment... not that it was going to help me with my class!
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

kazzie

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:52 am

Several times..

All nighters.. for the sake of it
Drinking
or working
Bazinga punk.

jetmech

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:02 am

Yup, did plenty of all nighters doing Mechanical Engineering at uni. It was the only way to get all that work done. Anyway, back in the days I was working on cabin interiors of commercial jets, I often worked a 12 hour day shift from 6AM to 6PM on a Saturday, got home by 7PM, had a shower, dinner and was at my mates house by 8PM, went out all Saturday night and Sunday morning, and then went straight back to work the 6AM to 6PM 12 hour shift on Sunday   . The funny thing was I often felt more tired on Saturday than Sunday! It was amazing how quickly my body grew completely intolerant of such abuse!

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 9):
I really can't remember. I was in a right state after submitting my thesis. A terrible sense of anti-climax and semi-depression after 5 years work and 60,000 words!

It doesn't take that long to get a PhD. does it Kieron747  ! I am considering doing one and was hoping to get it done in 3 years; 3.5 at most.

[Edited 2006-09-28 19:05:42]

[Edited 2006-09-28 19:06:47]

[Edited 2006-09-28 19:08:39]
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

AerospaceFan

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:10 am

Tonight is the first time that I've stayed up all night for school or work. I don't want a medal or anything since this was mostly self-inflicted because I procrastinated til 9pm when I saw the 930am test is 25% of my final grade.

I've pulled what they call "all-nighters" on many occasions, and particularly during college and post-graduate work. Here in the U.S., it's not that uncommon.

I think that most people might find it best, however, to review their work and make the necessary corrections after an appropriate period of rest.

[Edited 2006-09-28 19:16:34]
What's fair is fair.

planesarecool

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:43 am

I stayed up for around 60 hours back in December.

I woke up at 1pm on the Saturday, stayed up all night on Saturday (in town), stayed awake throughout the day on sunday, went to Dublin with some mates for the night, stayed up all night in Dublin, flew back the next morning, and spent the monday in London, got home at about 9pm, and yes, went straight to bed. I can't remember how long i slept for that night, but it was at least 15 hours.

Other than that, I have done a lot of all nighters. Whether I'm out in town, have no sleeping pattern (just sleep when i'm tired), watching the baseball, or just cannot be bothered to sleep. Although i have never stayed up all night to complete college work, i have stayed up until 3-4am many a time to do it.

sv2008

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:51 am

I've done several all nighters a univesity. It's not ideal, but the work needs to be done, it needs to be done!

mdsh00

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:54 am

I've done it a few times but I really don't like to if it's before an exam. Though I'll be staying up all night many times in the future when I start rotations and residency. 36 hour shifts...bring it!
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

IFEMaster

Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:07 am

When I was first getting my business up and running, all-nighters became something of a regular occurence for the first 12 to 18 months. When there were only 2 or 3 people to get something done by deadline, it became a necessity. I would say that in the first 6 months, there would be at least two all-nighters a month, and gradually reduced from there as things kicked in to gear and I was able to increase the workforce and streamline working practice etc.

There were a couple of occassions in college where I stayed up all night for studying (of course there were many more occassions where I stayed up all night for recreational reasons  Wink)

These days the only all-nighers I get involved in are either poker-nights or when the good lady insists on attempting to break our..."record"...
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

F9Animal

Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:54 am

Yup! Actually as I type this, I have been up for 38 hours straight. Not only do I work graveyard, but today is technically my Saturday, and I have to enjoy the sunshine. I live in Seattle, and I know the sun is going to be covered by clouds in the next month or so. Sad excuse, but very very exahusting.

How about the boys and girls with Seattle Fire that work 24 hour shifts? I chatted with a unit last week, and asked if it was difficult. They said that some nights they get back to back calls. On slower nights, they try to take quick cat naps.
I Am A Different Animal!!

aerobalance

Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:59 am

for academic or professional reasons?

yes, and for partying and other stuff - the night time is the right time.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

BMIFlyer

Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:04 am

I've done it a few times yes.  Smile

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

flymia

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:22 am

Well niether were academic or professional but once I only slept 1 hours from 6am to 7am. Woke up the mourning before at 7am. But that afternoon was taking a SFO-MIA flight First Class in 763 slept the whole flight.
Another time had to go with a friend sister to the hospital because my friends sisters friend  Smile was in the hospital went to sleep around 5:45am. Woke up that day at around 7am
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

skysurfer

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:30 am

I've pulled one or two all nighters whenn i've been out at a few shows watchin the guys play, but i never plan on being up more than 24 hours at any given time. However, everytime i've flown eastwards for more than 5 hours i've always pulled 36 hours before i collapse in a heap, only to wake up in a foul mood 6 hours later cursing the fact i'm dead tired but wide awake!

Cheers
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

Boeing744

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:41 am

Not really a professional reason, but when I went to Cuba, I was awake for a very long time...

I woke up at 700 PST, went to school until 1500, caught the 1700 ferry to Vancouver with my school group (WAY too early)! We then left YVR at 23:45 to YYZ, arrived sometime after 600 (next day). Were in YYZ until 1000 (24 hours with time difference now). Arrived in Havana sometime after 1500. Got to the hotel only to find it overbooked, and my room had a centimetre of water on the floor. After dinner, we spent hours shuffling rooms (with 42 people), and I didn't get to sleep until about 0000 (now 2 days after).

FriendlySkies

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:43 am

I go to Georgia Tech...'nuff said...

LOT767-300ER

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:47 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 8):
Hasn't worn off yet then?

Andy

Dont worry Andy..soon you will be going to sleep for way more than 48hrs  Silly

aa61hvy

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:59 am

Never. I would study from morning to night so I wouldn't have to be up all night. I knew if I did stay up all night studying, I'd be too tired to remember a lot of the things I tried to memorize. After a certain point in the night while studying my brain would shut down (usually Midnight). I'd call it quits and go to bed.
Go big or go home

futureualpilot

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:06 am

At work this summer it happened frequently, since we worked graveyard out at KSAN, and there have been many school related all nighters thus far in my academic career.
Life is better when you surf.

AsstChiefMark

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:07 am

I've been awake for 48 hours many times. My record is about 70 hours. After a while, you're too tired to sleep. You go to bed and nothing happens. Then you start to get anxious and lose track of time. At some point you fall asleep. Then you wake up and realize it's the day after tomorrow.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

ANCFlyer

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:09 am

All the time, I'm awake 30 hours now . . . my record was Desert Storm, recently was awake 51 hours when I flew to CID to visit my daughter.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

EWRCabincrew

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:17 am

All the time. I work red-eyes (well every one of our European departures is a red-eye) at elast once a week (if not more).

My record is 72 hours awake. To say I was exhausted is an understatement.
You can't cure stupid

Gilligan

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:20 am

Airborne Rangers own the night.

Used to work for ups. Went in at 10pm sometimes didn't leave till 6am.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

fbgdavidson

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:51 am

A few times....never for more than one night though.

I was in the US and had a family emergency so flew back to the UK last minute in Y. Couldn't sleep partly because I had a bulkhead with little 'bonus' legroom and partly because of the news. Arrived home and went to sleep early that evening.

One night I went out on the spur of the moment with some friends, was before I had a credit card and was in the car with my Dad. He gave me some cash and dropped me off at the pub. Said goodbye to my friends and went to catch a cab at 2am and found I'd run out of money with nowhere to go. Didn't have my phone with me so ended up walking the 7 miles back to my house. Went really quick and I got home just in time to sit on the bench by my pond with the noise of the waterfall watching the sun come up. Very peaceful moment  Smile

When I was at Uni I got pretty close, I preferred to work late and finish an assignment if it was due in the next day so sometimes worked until maybe 5.30am, then getting up late just to walk the thing up to hand it in. Often in the summer I'd be going to bed with the sun coming up and the birds chirping!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

HAWK21M

Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:57 pm

Maximum without rest was 46hrs during a big AOG situation.Was too tired thereafter & just could not Sleep for a few hrs.
regds
MEL

ShyFlyer

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:22 am

professional reasons

When I was in training for a past job as a Correctional Officer, I had many late night shifts. Though no more than 8 hours at a time, I did work during the times I was normally asleep. I tried to sleep during the day prior to my shift, but found it difficult at best.

My last night of OJT (on the job training), I worked it out so that I would be training in Master Control. For those unfamiliar with a correctional institution, Master Control is the hub of all activity in the facility, sort of like the Tower at an airport. Even though it was the Graveyard shift, there was enough activity to keep me awake. Once I arrive back home and changed out of the uniform, I had no trouble at all falling asleep  Smile
I lift things up and put them down.

bristolflyer

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:36 am

Quoting Clogman (Reply 6):

A few friends and I went out in Vegas and stumbled back to the hotel at 7am - weird going back with the sun rising and people going to work.
Fortune favours the brave

comorin

Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:32 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 19):
I work 5 nights/week on the Tarmac.

No wonder you are looking for a good flashlight!  Smile

AerospaceFan

Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:31 am

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 45):
A few friends and I went out in Vegas and stumbled back to the hotel at 7am - weird going back with the sun rising and people going to work.

The advent of daylight after a long night's worth of work (or play) is quite vile, I've always found. It's unusual, but I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way.
What's fair is fair.

HAWK21M

Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 46):
No wonder you are looking for a good flashlight!

Still looking for an Effective Rain Wear too  Smile
regds
MEL

Speedbirdie

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:35 pm

Urrrrr yeh, last night i did... naaaasty....
Me and my mate were playfighting drunk in his room and we hear a 'crack' then get spewed in blood. Turns out his head just cracked and split on a corner of some furniture.. oops..
So we stay awake all night making sure he doesnt become ill or deterioate.. mind you, saying that, his behaviour was a bit odd after the incident..
So anyway after having no sleep, I drive home at 8am. A normal 20 minute journey turns out to be 45 minutes as the M4 was shut due to flooding!!!????? wtf??
Anyway its 230pm now and i just had 4 hours sleep.. I feel awful.
Never give up..