LTU932
Topic Author

FIFA: No More World Cup Final Penalty Kicks

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:20 am

It seems Joseph "Septic" Blatter is getting some fancy ideas regarding World Cup finals and penalty kicks. He is planning on them to be gone for the World Cup final 2010 and is thinking of either re-instate re-matches or reducing the amount of players and playing until a goal is scored.

Short article (in German): http://www.abendblatt.de/daten/2006/09/28/617733.html

Here's a nice idea: why not re-introduce the old Sudden Death rule from 1996?  Yeah sure I really don't like what Blatter is thinking. Though to be honest, maybe extra time with the infamous "Golden Goal" Sudden Death rule is one way of preventing penalty kicks. It certainly worked for us in the Euro 96 final in Wembley and for France in 2000.

777236ER

RE: FIFA: No More World Cup Final Penalty Kicks

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:22 am

Yet another attempt to make an already boring game even duller.

Though the purists won't admit it, penalties are the most exciting thing in any football match.
Your bone's got a little machine

Banco

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:29 am

Quoting LTU932 (Thread starter):
Here's a nice idea: why not re-introduce the old Sudden Death rule from 1996? I really don't like what Blatter is thinking. Though to be honest, maybe extra time with the infamous "Golden Goal" Sudden Death rule is one way of preventing penalty kicks. It certainly worked for us in the Euro 96 final in Wembley and for France in 2000.

Because it meant the game finished in anticlimax, that's why. Someone scores a goal, and instead of it being the joyous moment the proponents of the idea thought it would be, it was just a let down. The game was over, no way back for the opposition. It just didn't work.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

cornish

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:32 am

Marvellous idea. I hope that means all penalty shoot outs will be gone from now on throughout the tournament, not just the final.

Definitely one of their better ideas  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

nighthawk

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:37 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 1):
Though the purists won't admit it, penalties are the most exciting thing in any football match.

especially when england are playing Big grin

Penalties have been a part of the game for years. Theres no point changing it now. Leave the rules alone!

Thom@s

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 3):
Definitely one of their better ideas

Coming from an Englishman, that is hardly surprising to hear.  Wink

I say reintroduce the coin toss. No other way is better for deciding a game after 120 minutes of football. Justice for all.  stirthepot 

At least the losing team would have the right to say "We lost the match thanks to that tosser who refereed."

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

LTU932
Topic Author

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:40 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 4):
Penalties have been a part of the game for years. Theres no point changing it now. Leave the rules alone!

checkmark 

My point exactly. Penalties are always a pain in the ass, but nonetheless, they're part of the game. I mean there was a reason why re-matches were reduced to something that is only done in extreme circumstances after being replaced with penalty kicks, for when the score after extra time is still tied.

ME AVN FAN

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:01 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 6):
Penalties are always a pain in the ass, but nonetheless, they're part of the game.

while it would be better, each time there is no win, to extend the playing time by 15 minutes.

bristolflyer

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:06 am

Altogether now fellow Englishmen -  yes   thumbsup 
Fortune favours the brave

LTU932
Topic Author

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:08 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 7):
while it would be better, each time there is no win, to extend the playing time by 15 minutes.

I'm not a fan of that, but how about generally extending extra time? 2 periods of 20 or 30 minutes, so it takes longer to get to the penalty kicks stage.

ME AVN FAN

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:16 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 9):
I'm not a fan of that, but how about generally extending extra time? 2 periods of 20 or 30 minutes, so it takes longer to get to the penalty kicks stage.

Why not. Still better than that penalty business, which is not really sports but rather a form of Russian Roulette.

Banco

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:41 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 5):
I say reintroduce the coin toss. No other way is better for deciding a game after 120 minutes of football. Justice for all.

The English would say there's no point practising the coin toss, as you can't replicate the pressure of the live situation. The Germans would meticulously study the properties of every coin potentially being used to ensure they aren't beaten for 30 years, the Dutch would show considerable flair in practice but bottle it when it came to the crunch, the Italians would bribe the referee to use a double headed coin - then call tails, and the Scots would fail to qualify.  Wink

bristolflyer

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:43 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 11):

Don't forget the Americans - they'd play, lose then say 'we hate soccer anyway'.
Fortune favours the brave

Thom@s

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:00 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 11):

No points for guessing how the french would react if they lost a cointoss...

"Stupide!!"

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

N1120A

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:56 pm

Stupid idea. Penalties are not only exciting, but they are a true test of player and goalkeeper skill. Take a look at what Ricardo and Jens Lehman did and tell me that they are anti-climatic
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Newark777

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:19 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 12):

Don't forget the Americans - they'd play, lose then say 'we hate soccer anyway'.

We don't hate soccer.

We just don't give a shit about it.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Thom@s

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:35 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 15):
We don't hate soccer.

Heeey, that's exactly how europeans feel about Baseball and American Football..  Smile

Thom@s

Newark777

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:36 pm

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 16):
Heeey, that's exactly how europeans feel about Baseball and American Football..

Another thing Americans don't care about.

The opinion of the Europeans.  Smile

Harry

Thom@s

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:51 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 17):

The opinion of the Europeans.

Just like we don't care about the opinions of americans, although we have them forced upon us seeing as you guys rule the planet and all...  Wink

Thom@s

Newark777

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:56 pm

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 18):
seeing as you guys rule the planet and all...

Hey, it's tough ruling the planet.  Wink

Harry

Thom@s

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:59 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 19):
Hey, it's tough ruling the planet.

Well the russians helped you out for a while...

Anyway, Britain ruled the world some time ago, and look what happened to them. You think history will repeat itself?  Wink

On topic: I like penalty shoot outs...

Thom@s

ME AVN FAN

Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:47 pm

We don't hate soccer.

because you do NOT know what REAL football is  wink  yes 

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 17):
The opinion of the Europeans.

WHAT opinion DO Americans care about ?  scratchchin 

Banco

Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:18 pm

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 20):
Anyway, Britain ruled the world some time ago, and look what happened to them.

Yes, we made you all learn English.  Wink

Thom@s

Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:22 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 22):

Yes, we made you all learn English.

Well not in WRC driver Petter Solberg's case...

Ever heard him give an interview? Ugh...

Thom@s

Rj111

Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:33 pm

Penalties are great, a test of bottle and nerve! Yes they can be cruel but if you can't take the initiative and win the game in the 120 mins then you have to be prepared to take the risk of penalties.

mika

Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:17 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 21):
WHAT opinion DO Americans care about ?

The one that will serve themselves.   

Just as a note (and i am talking about all this light heartedly), aren't americans really europeans? I mean wasn't it europeans who from the begining settled north america, taking the land from the native indians. Am i right?  scratchchin 

[Edited 2006-09-29 12:21:19]

NIKV69

Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:17 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 1):

Purists? LOLOL

Penalty kicks are only exciting for the TV audience. Not a good way to settle something as huge as the WC. Play till a goal is scored. That is the true way to crown a champion.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):
Stupid idea. Penalties are not only exciting, but they are a true test of player and goalkeeper skill.

True test? What about passing and defense and counter attacking and heading and corner kicks and breakaways. Come on, your deciding the biggest games in the world by one kick and one save. Not very good.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

halls120

Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:27 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 12):

We don't hate soccer.

Quoting Banco (Reply 22):

Yes, we made you all learn English.

rotfl  Sorry, but the off-topic posts are better than the posts on point!
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

ME AVN FAN

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:22 pm

Quoting Mika (Reply 25):
aren't americans really europeans? I mean wasn't it europeans who from the begining settled

well, many US-Americans regard themselves apparently as a kind of "upgraded Europeans" !

yooyoo

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:53 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 28):
well, many US-Americans regard themselves apparently as a kind of "upgraded Europeans" !

"upgraded" ????

The rest of the world knows otherwise.  Wink  duck 

What about a 2 game final? Aggregate score, more bucks for FIFA more soccer for us to watch. I guess this could end up in a tie as well. But hell, i'm up for more games. (smile)
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

halls120

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:56 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 29):
Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 28):

"upgraded" ????

nah. Europeans are European, and Americans are Americans. Good and bad traits are common in both.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

yooyoo

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:15 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 30):
nah. Europeans are European, and Americans are Americans. Good and bad traits are common in both.

Of course.  smile 

It's those damn Canadians you have to worry about.  Wink

bravo45

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:19 pm

WHAT?!?!?
Did this guy heard NONE of the suggestions that the whole world was really screaming about: Fix the referees!!!
Only those scums who stood in this world cup who couldn't help but give the foul/booking/penalty to the wrong side need to be fixed.
The game is okay the way it is, it can be changed but what is needed is better judgement on the field, leave the penalty rules alone.
Rematches?? So the goal for a team who has a star player injured or booked out would be to draw a game with no penalties.
Longer play? Has any of them played hard for two full 45 min halves and then another 2 extra time halves on top of it and said: "It was short!' ???
Rubbish!!!!!!

If anything, I think it'll be great if a right of appeal to a TV referee (or the same referee can decide by looking at the replay on the screen, with the fans watching devil  ) is given to the players on the field so there can be true justice in the game.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):
Stupid idea. Penalties are not only exciting, but they are a true test of player and goalkeeper skill. Take a look at what Ricardo and Jens Lehman did and tell me that they are anti-climatic

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark 

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 24):
Penalties are great, a test of bottle and nerve! Yes they can be cruel but if you can't take the initiative and win the game in the 120 mins then you have to be prepared to take the risk of penalties.

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark 

yooyoo

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:26 pm

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 32):
Fix the referees!!!

I would argue more about fixing the players. These idiots and their theatrical play on the field should be cast out. It is very difficult to make a call with these hillbillies falling down like they just got shot. Fair play my ass, a video review should be done on all games and those guilty immediately suspended. I truly have had it with players acting on the field. They make the refs look worse than they already are and cast a shadow on a wonderful game.

I feel better now.  smile 

Banco

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 32):
Fix the referees!!!

Are you mad? You think we're going to be better at that than everyone else?

bravo45

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:26 am

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 33):
These idiots and their theatrical play on the field should be cast out. It is very difficult to make a call with these hillbillies falling down like they just got shot. Fair play my ass, a video review should be done on all games and those guilty immediately suspended. I truly have had it with players acting on the field. They make the refs look worse than they already are and cast a shadow on a wonderful game.

Quoting Banco (Reply 34):
You think we're going to be better at that than everyone else?

Okay I agree I should have mentioned the players and the my wording should have been different. Either way, video reviews should be introduced, players should have a right to appeal and I agree, throw out the players playing theater on the field not matter how good the acting. My point was that FIFA should have been concentrating on issues like these rather than talking about penalties.

Newark777

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:49 am

and look what happened to them. You think history will repeat itself?

I hope our dental system doesn't go downhill in the future, that would be a shame.  Wink

Harry

bravo45

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:22 am

BTW Until right now, I always used to read your nick as 'B R a n c o'. Wonder why.

Banco

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:43 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 37):
BTW Until right now, I always used to read your nick as 'B R a n c o'. Wonder why.

No doubt you'll get "suggestions" from all the other Brits on here...  grumpy   Wink

Thom@s

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:20 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 37):

Oh it's Banco? I've been getting the first letter wrong all the time...

Which is odd as "B" and "W" don't really look the same.

Thom@s

Banco

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 39):
Oh it's Banco? I've been getting the first letter wrong all the time...

Which is odd as "B" and "W" don't really look the same.

And thus it starts...  Yeah sure

Wink

bravo45

Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:25 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 40):
And thus it starts...

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

Trust me when I say that was out of the blue. My apologies or condolences, whichever you prefer.

HAWK21M

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:34 pm

Golden Goal rule is the Best.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

bravo45

Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:17 am

You think we're going to be better at that than everyone else?

BTW I didn't mean to say the fans should decide.

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 33):
These idiots and their theatrical play on the field should be cast out.

No matter how hard they practice.  Wink
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/50756/soccer_injury/

LTU932
Topic Author

Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:29 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 43):
No matter how hard they practice.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/50756/...jury/

Now we know where people like Cristiano Ronaldo does diving training. Big grin