dtwclipper

Muslim Cabs To Signify Alcohol-Free Cars

Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:55 pm

As far as I'm concerned, this is BS. I want to fly to MSP with a bottle of Vodka just to take a cab!

MINNEAPOLIS, Sept. 30 (AP) — Hundreds of Muslim cabdrivers at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport may soon be required to put different colored lights atop their vehicles after refusing to take customers they know are carrying alcohol.

The proposal, which would allow airport workers to direct travelers to cabs more efficiently, needs approval from the airport’s taxicab advisory committee, and airport officials hope to have the lights ready by year’s end.

If the proposal is adopted, cabdrivers without the light who refuse a fare will be sent to the back of the line, which often means a three-hour wait.

Some said they would rather wait for another fare than carry a passenger with alcohol. “It is forbidden in Islam to carry alcohol,” said Muhamed Mursal, a cabdriver.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/us/01taxi.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Newark777

RE: Muslim Cabs To Signify Alcohol-Free Cars

Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:58 pm

If you want to refuse things in your own cab, so be it, but then don't complain when this type of thing happens, and you're sent to the back of the line. It's their loss.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

jaysit

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:04 pm

What bull.

What next? Are cab drivers going to have "Pork Sausage-free" cars as well?

Are they going to start asking passengers if they consumed a pork product in the last 24 hours before they board their cab?

Muhammed, the cabbie: "You look like an eater of swine. When did you last consume the unholiest of all animals?"

Passenger: "I had some BBQ 2 days ago."

Muhammed, the cabbie: "Have you had good bowel movements since then?"

Passenger: "Uh, yeah. That spicy stuff goes right through me like draino."

Muhammed, the cabbie: "OK. You pass. But your wife doesn't look like she's taken a dump in a year. She walks."
Atheism is Myth Understood.

aa61hvy

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:06 pm

I'll get into a cab with them, drunk. I wont have a bottle with me. The bottle will be in my tummy. I will vomit all over the back seat. I'm of legal age, I have the right to carry (not drink it) in the cab.

From South Park:

"I thought this was America. I didn't know I live in a Communist country."
Go big or go home

Kieron747

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:08 pm

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 3):
I will vomit all over the back seat

Pretty much a normal night then eh?

Wink

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

FlyingTexan

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:08 pm

Perhaps they should find a job more accommodating to their beliefs.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

aa61hvy

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:12 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 4):
Pretty much a normal night then eh?

Well I never take cabs home. If I puke its usually behind a dumpster.

Though in all honesty I haven't puked from drinking since January.
Go big or go home

ltbewr

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:13 pm

I don't see where under the laws of public accomidation and our separation of religion and state in the USA, that they can have such a car by car rule. I could understand them not accepting riders whom appear to be intoxicated and could make a mess of their cab, and so on. What about street work? I bet 80% of their business after 9 pm involves people whom have been drinking and possibly intoxicated.

aa61hvy

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:15 pm

In all seriousness this reminds me of those Christian guys who refused to fill birth control prescriptions... You must separate religion and work, otherwise find another job.
Go big or go home

MDorBust

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:29 pm

That's a load of horse manure.

What ever agency oversees the licensing and regulation of cab companies needs to create a standard for carriage. All cabs need to meet and abide by those standards. Denying carriage based on concerns for operator safety is one thing, denying carriage based on the possession of a legal item is another.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:29 pm

Do they make random-checks of the luggage ? Or interrogations of the passengers ? Very very strange.

LHMark

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:32 pm

I guess they could do it if they were private owner-operators, but that's the only way I could see this lasting long.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:36 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 10):
Do they make random-checks of the luggage ? Or interrogations of the passengers ? Very very strange.

The Strib had a story on this too. They only refuse if they see taxfree bags, or by admission of the passenger. Personally, I think the light idea is stupid, I say if they refuse a ride, send them to the back of the line, light or no light. What's next? The wheelchair pushers refusing to help a person with a bottle of wine in their hand luggage?
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

dtwclipper

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 11):
I guess they could do it if they were private owner-operators,

I don't know the laws, as I'm not a lawyer, but I am 100% sure that taxis are licenced by either the state or the local municipality, so they are private companies serving the public under the laws of the land.

If you want to offer "halal" cabs that's one thing, but refusing pax at the airport is just another example of religious fundamentalism gone astray

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:54 pm

Looks like an attorney could have some fun with this:

368.01 Powers of certain metropolitan area towns.
Subd. 12. Taxis, haulers, car renters. The town
board may by ordinance license and regulate baggage wagons, dray
drivers, taxicabs, and automobile rental agencies and liveries.
At a minimum, an ordinance to license or regulate taxicabs or
small vehicle passenger service must provide for driver
qualifications, insurance, vehicle safety, and periodic vehicle
inspections.

363A.11 Public accommodations.

Subdivision 1. Full and equal enjoyment of public
accommodations. (a) It is an unfair discriminatory practice:

(1) to deny any person the full and equal enjoyment of the
goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and
accommodations of a place of public accommodation because of
race, color, creed, religion, disability, national origin,
marital status, sexual orientation, or sex, or for a taxicab
company to discriminate in the access to, full utilization of,
or benefit from service because of a person's disability; or [irrelevant information regarding disabilities]

Now, in my religion, I like to consume alcohol. It would therefore be discriminatory to refuse me service on the basis of this  

Edit: Typo

[Edited 2006-10-02 16:54:38]
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:59 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 12):
the light idea is stupid, I say if they refuse a ride, send them to the back of the line,

send them out of the airport. I mean if a taxi-driver prohibits smoking or eating or drinking by passengers while enroute, OK, but such notions are simply unacceptable

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 13):
refusing pax at the airport is

if you out of religious creed do NOT want to carry alcohol, you no longer are to drive a taxi or a bus or a tram or a train. The airport should NOT co-operate with this. It simply is wrong.

UH60FtRucker

Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:06 am

I don't understand this... because I've seen plenty of drunk Muslims in Iraq. (Now before some of you flip out - I am not saying ALL Muslims  Yeah sure)

But yeah, that's right... just because this is a Muslim nation, doesn't mean some good ole' boys aren't kicking back with some ALKY-HALL! Yup, that's something they don't mention in the Fromers Iraq Travel Guide... Iraqi shops sell some devil wine!

And do you know what some of them do after they partake in their drinking activities? They drive their stereotypical 1993 white Toyota pickup home. HA! That's right! They drive DRUNK!!!!! "No UH60, you're wrong, there is no drunk driving in Iraq. It's a Muslim nation." Yeah... and I suppose those Iraqis are swerving all over the road and crashing into things because of poor eye sight.

In fact, I remember this one time about a month ago, we were providing air support for a raid on a compound outside of Bayji. While we were orbiting the area, these two jokers come screaming out of the compound in... you guessed it... a '93 White Toyota Pickup. So they're fleeing the area, thus compelling us to give chase. See, when my passenger tells me, "Oh no my friend!!! We are driving a 93 Toyota sh*tbox, and there is a Black Hawk right behind us! We should stop immediately!" I think I would listen to him. But nah... these guys want to see if they can outrun me. So here they are, blasting across the desert, smoke POURING out from the engine and they're obviously running this truck for all it's worth. And do I give a sh*t? Of course not, because he's got nothing but desert between him and the Syrian boarder. Go ahead my Iraqi buddy, try and out run me.

So now his friend must be saying, "Oh no, my friend!! We running from the Americans, our truck is on fire, there is a Black Hawk outside our door, and we've got nothing but desert in front of us. I think we are... how do you say? ... f*cked?" But they STILL don't give up. Now they start acting erratic and swerving. Because... you know... by swerving in the middle of god damn nowhere, you are some how cause me to lose sight of you!!!

And as we watch this comedy from 50 above, the show comes to an end, as he runs straight into a sand dune and flips the piece of sh*t over! Smoke, dust and pieces go everywhere!

Point of the story... these two fine gentlemen were DRUNK. If only I had caught it all on camera, I could have had the first episode of COPS - IRAQ!

Bad guys: 0
UH60FtRucker: 1

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

n229nw

Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:08 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 2):
"But your wife doesn't look like she's taken a dump in a year. She walks."

rotfl   rotfl 
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:35 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 15):
send them out of the airport. I mean if a taxi-driver prohibits smoking or eating or drinking by passengers while enroute, OK, but such notions are simply unacceptable

Exactly. The no-eating and drinking rule is simply to avoid a mess in the car. If I have a bottle of wine in a bag, that is none of their business. Good thing at MSP is that they DO have to leave the airport, as the staging area is outside the airport  Smile And there are a LOT of taxis there.

falstaff

Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:26 am

When I was a student at Central Missouri State University (now University of Central Missouri) there was a cab company (one guy actually) called Rainbow cab. This guy was a quite the southern Baptist and refused to pick anyone up at a bar or to drop anyone at a bar or anywhere that served alcohol. In 1997 a new guy came to town and bought a couple of late model Dodge Dynastys and opened his own weekends only cab company. Within a few months he hired four drivers, six cabs, and 24-7 operation. The other guy went out of business in about six months. With the name rainbow in the title I wonder if that guy ever attracted any gays to his business, because of the rainbow name and If he hated alcohol so much I couldn't imagine what he thought of them.

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 8):
In all seriousness this reminds me of those Christian guys who refused to fill birth control prescriptions... You must separate religion and work, otherwise find another job.

Well put.

Quoting Dtwclipper (Thread starter):
I want to fly to MSP with a bottle of Vodka just to take a cab!

Last October I flew into MSP (NW 757 DTW-MSP) to go to a brewery memorabilia show, called Guzzle & Twirl. Those guys must have hated us!

If you want to offer "halal" cabs that's one thing, but refusing pax at the airport is just another example of religious fundamentalism gone astray

It looks like the 18th amendment crowd is still around, but just under a different guise. Looks like its the wets vs the drys.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

MKEdude

Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:48 am

I agree with the general consensus on this topic-the whole idea is bullshit!! Now I believe that America should welcome immigrants from all over, and that this nation should be a gathering place of all cultures and beliefs, blah blah kumbayah...but that tolerance has to run both ways. If you are Muslim and you cannot accept that alcohol is legal in this country than may I be so bold as to suggest that this may not be the right country for you.

Seriously, if you can't deal with people who do not share the same beliefs as you then stay home, you'll be happier in the long run.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

mandala499

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:00 am

Well, there are 2 ways of seeing this... either way it's silly...

1. Sure, they have the right to refuse pax who's got alcohol... and they declared it by having the different coloured lights. BUT, that also means, the pax has the right to refuse entering a cab with that different light due to him carrying alcohol or claiming to do so if the pax would feel uncomfortable being driven by Mr. Ahmed. So it works BOTH ways! Discriminate and be discriminated!

2. SEND THEM TO THE BACK OF THE LINE!

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

EK156

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:01 am

I am a Muslim and I think the Cabbies are over doing it!!! I mean they should have no right to ask or even try to figure out what a passenger is carrying. If the passenger tries to drink on board the cab then that's another issue which is within no drinking, smoking or eating rules or whatever....

Someone must have spread a rumour or scared them about something!!! I hate this.... I mean a lot of Muslims work as waiters and they have to serve Alcohol most of the time... and they still do it cause it is part of their job and it is not their.... this is too extreme!!!

If you are worried about being wrong then change jobs... simple... what a passenger is carrying in their bags is none of anyone's business. Your job is to carry the passenger from point A to B... period!!!

Too Extreme!!! Too much

dtwclipper

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 21):
1. Sure, they have the right to refuse pax who's got alcohol... and they declared it by having the different coloured lights. BUT, that also means, the pax has the right to refuse entering a cab with that different light due to him carrying alcohol or claiming to do so if the pax would feel uncomfortable being driven by Mr. Ahmed. So it works BOTH ways! Discriminate and be discriminated!

2. SEND THEM TO THE BACK OF THE LINE!

So the question comes about, what happens if all of the "wet" cabs are taken and all that are left are the "dry" ones?

Quoting EK156 (Reply 22):
Someone must have spread a rumour or scared them about something!!!

Gee, I wonder "who" could have spread such rumours, and from what pulpit?

Quoting EK156 (Reply 22):
I mean a lot of Muslims work as waiters and they have to serve Alcohol most of the time... and they still do it cause it is part of their job and it is not their.... this is too extreme!!!

checkmark   checkmark 

mandala499

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:37 am

DTWclipper,
Errr... no, better wait for another three hours for the wet ones to return to the airport! I'm sure it'll be more agony for the dry guys and perhaps shake sense into their brains!

EK156,
Perhaps we should start a cab company where on the door it states: "If you are a religious fundamentalist, take the next cab!"...

I wonder how many of our cabs will be blown up or burnt within the first week?

I personally am tired of having cab rides in Europe/Australia where the cabbie is a Muslim and asks "You from Indonesia? You Muslim?" and then starts rabbiting on about religious discrimination, US imperialism, etc, etc etc and then starts pushing me to agree with him... I offended one by saying "if that's your view maybe you should go back to (insert possible list of country of origin of the cabbie)" LOL... though I wouldn't do it on a midnight cab ride!

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

jcs17

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:16 am

The Somali (and that's who the vast majority of these Muslim drivers are) cabbies in Minneapolis absolutely suck. I've taken five or six cab rides around the Twin Cities with Somali drivers. Three or four times, I've had to yell at the cabbie to take the most direct route and not rip me off. I don't know the roads around MSP that well, but these guys were clearly taking me in the wrong direction. Not to mention the fact that all these drivers are extremely rude. I'm not expecting a friendly cab driver, but basic courtesy is lacking. They do a big disservice to the people of MSP as often being the first people travelers encounter while leaving the airport.

Does someone want to explain to me why we just had to bring hundreds of thousands of Somalis to the 'States?
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

trvyyz

Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:30 am

I guess they will be running out of colours for lights, for no Jews, no Christians, no Shias, no Sunnis ......where does it end?

A cab driver is a cab driver end of story.

N1120A

Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:47 am

As far as I'm concerned, this is BS. I want to fly to MSP with a bottle of Vodka just to take a cab!

What for?

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 2):

Big deal. They don't want to carry alcohol. They don't get the business. How hard is that to deal with?

They are allowed to do that and still do constantly.

And Jewish cabbies refusing to work on Sabbath, causing a shortage of cabs. Would that be an issue?

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 25):
Does someone want to explain to me why we just had to bring hundreds of thousands of Somalis to the 'States?

You ever learn the meaning of the word quagmire?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

dtwclipper

Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:56 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 27):

And Jewish cabbies refusing to work on Sabbath, causing a shortage of cabs. Would that be an issue?

Um, apples and oranges here. If anyone wants to take the Sabbath off, that's not a problem. Trust me, there are not a lot of Jewish cab drivers who would make any difference anyway in the states.

The issues is, this is America, alcohol is legal, and these people are going too far. Keep it up!

They are allowed to do that and still do constantly.

At the moment, yes, but these cases are going before the courts.

What for?

Because it is BS, and you know it....just for once admit it that these people are being over the top.

N1120A

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:39 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 28):
Um, apples and oranges here. If anyone wants to take the Sabbath off, that's not a problem. Trust me, there are not a lot of Jewish cab drivers who would make any difference anyway in the states.

Say there were. What then?

The issues is, this is America, alcohol is legal, and these people are going too far. Keep it up!

You are right, this is America. Private business runs this place and taxis are a private business. If a restaurant can tell you "no shirt, no shoes, no service" and cabbie can tell you "no hooch"

Because it is BS, and you know it....just for once admit it that these people are being over the top.

They are doing as they choose. If you don't want to ride in their cab, don't

AerospaceFan

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 29):
You are right, this is America. Private business runs this place and taxis are a private business. If a restaurant can tell you "no shirt, no shoes, no service" and cabbie can tell you "no hooch

How about, "No Colored People"?

The truth is, I think, that certain rules apply to public establishments and common carriers that would not apply to purely private businesses.

[Edited 2006-10-03 17:45:36]
What's fair is fair.

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:03 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 29):
Private business runs this place and taxis are a private business

Taxis are licensed by the city in which they operate, and hence cannot discriminate. See my statute quote above.

FlyingTexan

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:05 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 30):

A good definition of discriminaton factors is what can or cannot control - for example; their gender, race, and age. One can control entering a taxi with a bottle of booze.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

ME AVN FAN

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:07 am

Big deal. They don't want to carry alcohol. They don't get the business. How hard is that to deal with?

It is difficult. I mean, somebody innocently carrying a duty-free shop bag with one bottle of spirits will NOT be accepted, while the one who bought the stuff earlier and now has it well inside the luggage has no problem. And just the position that a taxi-driver checks what I am carrying. I am sorry, but such taxi-drivers who take up such positions ought to be banned from the airport area alltogether. It simply is not right.

--

Beside the point that you might not very often find fundamentalist Jewish cab drivers in significant big numbers, such Sabbath rules CAN be a nuisance. I in late October 1994 was in Israel on a combined holiday and business visit. I, after at the beginning feeling uneasy admittedly gradually started to like the place ! And came to terms with it. On Sabbath, I departed with my hired car from Tel Aviv to Eilat, and while things were "closed-shop" up in TLV, everything was open and smiling in Eilat. And I bought some bottles of wine there at sensational price, and talked with somebody there about my earlier visit to Aqaba just accross. Strange, strange, but things happen. But I NEVER EVER would use a cab declaring "only OK if you do NOT carry pork with you", even if usually avoiding pork. No Sir, religious zealots should not work as cabdrivers, busdrivers or train-drivers, IF their committment goes such far !

qr332

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:21 am

While I disagree with this and think it is over the top, I think the cabbies have a right to choose whether they will take a customer or not. At the end of the day, it is them losing business and if they choose to do this, it is up to them - everyone has their own beliefs, and others should respect that. If you disagree with it, just go to a different cab!
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

ME AVN FAN

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:31 am

Quoting QR332 (Reply 34):
just go to a different cab!

not so easy. In many places (in Switzerland and France for instance) you have to take the first in line. HE may refuse, for instance if you do NOT go far enough, of display his DISpleasure if it just "acceptable" to him. But YOU are NOT allowed to refuse. Unless you insist on a "non-smoking" one.
-
But again, religious zealots, extremist vegetarians and other weird people, simply should NOT work as taxi-drivers. And should be banned from the airport area.

aa757first

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:38 am

This would be a tough issue for me. I plan on getting my BBA and BSN when I go off to college. I know I would never participate in an elective abortion, be it pre-operative, intra-operative or post-operative care or even just giving an injection or pills. These rights have been upheld before, and, in one case where a nurse refused to dispense EBC it was determined her rights were violated.

So, no, I don't think these cab drivers should have to carry alcohol. It's their cab and they don't have to carry things they don't want to carry. Now, it's not very good for business at all. I personally don't understand the concept since it doesn't directly effect the cab driver, but, it is thier cab.

AAndrew

airxliban

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:50 am

What bullshit to allow them to reject the business to begin with. Either play by the same rules as every other civilised person out there or go and create your own private taxi cab company and you can put whatever restrictions you want. My opinion - there should be not distinctions made with the ranks of licensed Minneapolis cab drivers.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 36):
It's their cab

Even if, no problem is having a taxi base somewhere around town, but it is NOT their airport, it is NOT their city and it is NOT the business of a taxi-driver what I have in my luggage. No, the airport simply should order out of the airport area whomever takes such an extreme stance. I don't know MSP, and so don't know whether it is one of those areas in the USA where people eat steaks with coffee, but in Europe, whenever I cannot give a percentage, I am sure that a big share of all arriving air-travellers have some alcoholic beverage with them . And I am quite confident that NO European airport would tolerate such ideas.

aa757first

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:21 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 38):

Even if, no problem is having a taxi base somewhere around town, but it is NOT their airport, it is NOT their city and it is NOT the business of a taxi-driver what I have in my luggage. No, the airport simply should order out of the airport area whomever takes such an extreme stance.

I agree with the airport being able to refuse them to solict business from the taxi pick-up line.

AAndrew

aa61hvy

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:35 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 19):

I have a suggestion:
The Muslims that have a problem with alcohol can go work in pharmacies, and the Christians that have a problem with birth control can go drive cabs  Wink
Go big or go home

lewis

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:41 am

Customers can put the booze in hand luggages or other pieces of luggage. What is the cab driver gonna do? Ask the customer to open the bags and check?? They don't really have the ability to control it.

jcs17

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting Lewis (Reply 41):

There are a lot of passengers who come back from the Caribbean or wine country with a case (four or six bottles) of alcohol. Not to mention that people buy stuff at duty-free that doesn't fit in their carry-on. You don't want to have to spend 15 minutes outside baggage claim trying to cram a bottle of booze in your bag where it could more easily break.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

jaysit

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:57 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 40):
The Muslims that have a problem with alcohol can go work in pharmacies, and the Christians that have a problem with birth control can go drive cabs

LOL !

That is too funny!
Atheism is Myth Understood.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:05 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 42):
There are a lot of passengers who come back from the Caribbean or wine country with a case (four or six bottles) of alcohol. Not to mention that people buy stuff at duty-free that doesn't fit in their carry-on. You don't want to have to spend 15 minutes outside baggage claim trying to cram a bottle of booze in your bag where it could more easily break.

Exactly ! it very often simply is not possible

AsstChiefMark

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:06 am

required to put different colored lights atop their vehicles

I wonder what colors they'll use. Every taxi already has amber and white lights. And Minnesota is fairly restrictive when it comes to vehicle lighting colors. Kai will correct me if I'm wrong.  yes 

Green is reserved for emergency command vehicles.

Blue is reserved for snow plows, highway maintenance vehicles AND emergency vehicles.  crazy 

"Sven! It's a road grader! Pull over!"  eek 

(There's an exception for motorcycles and collector vehicles if
small blue lights are integral parts of their tail light assemblies.)

Red is only allowed if it's part of a sign and at least one other color is displayed.

"Hot damn! Let's roll!"  hyper 

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

aa61hvy

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:10 am

I bet he wouldn't care about alcohol...(Anyone remember this guy, 1990's MTV)
Go big or go home

N1120A

Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:10 am

The truth is, I think, that certain rules apply to public establishments and common carriers that would not apply to purely private businesses.

It appears the law in Minnesota that KaiGywer applies to Taxi companies, but not the specific medallion holder (unless that person is their own company).

You ever been to New York?

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 31):
Taxis are licensed by the city in which they operate, and hence cannot discriminate. See my statute quote above.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 14):
or for a taxicab
company

It seems that it doesn't deal with the medallion, rather the co-op, which if read narrowly means that individual drivers can discriminate.

Look, I think it is stupid and nit picky, and actually not prohibited by the religion to carry alcohol, which can be used for things other than intoxicating consumption. Still, if a restaurant can refuse admittance of alcohol for capitalistic purposes, why can't a cab driver for religions ones.

dtwclipper

Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 47):
Look, I think it is stupid and nit picky, and actually not prohibited by the religion to carry alcohol, which can be used for things other than intoxicating consumption.

So why are you debating it then?

Quoting N1120A (Reply 47):
Still, if a restaurant can refuse admittance of alcohol for capitalistic purposes, why can't a cab driver for religions ones.

They are in biz to sell food and drinks, not to provide you with a place to consume your own items, your analogy doesn't make much sense.

The no shirt, no shoes, no service, is for health reasons.

I think the cabbies have a right to choose whether they will take a customer or not.

No they don't (unless they are drunk, aggressive, or a threat to their health or safety). That is discrimination, and we frown upon that in the U.S.

If you disagree with it, just go to a different cab!

All well and good, but again, why should I? They are there to provide a service, not discriminate based on their beliefs.

N1120A

Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:09 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 48):
The no shirt, no shoes, no service, is for health reasons.

Not having a shirt on is a health issue?

They are in biz to sell food and drinks, not to provide you with a place to consume your own items, your analogy doesn't make much sense.

So, capitalism trumps religion? What if an orthodox Jew goes into a vegetarian restaurant and wants to drink Kosher wine?

That is discrimination, and we frown upon that in the U.S.

Oh do we? How about the Hamouis?

All well and good, but again, why should I? They are there to provide a service, not discriminate based on their beliefs.

They are there to run a business how they see fit. If you can choose what days you work, you can choose who to carry.