speedbird747BA

Travel In Africa: Where Should I Go?

Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:04 am

ive always loved africa. beautiful scenery, nice people (although all that AIDS and civil war is a bit unnerving...). soooo, ive been thinking since im gonna get a full ride to college (ERAU most likely), maybe a trip i can take will be to africa. Ive been thinking as a kind of rough outline, London to Ghana (via ghana intl airways), Ghana, to Kenya, and Kenya to South Africa. any ideas on this?

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

JGPH1A

RE: Travel In Africa: Where Should I Go?

Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:45 am

Kenya - never been, but I hear the Masai Mara is good, also the climb up Kilimanjaro (3 days hike).

Tanzania - go to Zanzibar if you can, beautiful island, pretty unspoilt, lots of history

Zambia - Vic Falls. Accessible from the Zambian side through Livingstone, probably better and safer these days than the Zimbabwean side (which is a shame, but there you go). If you are anywhere close to Southern Africa, you have to see Vic Falls - spectacular.

Botswana - Okavango Delta. Amazing game and beautiful wetland setting.

South Africa - The Western Cape generally, the winelands of Paarl, Stellenbosch, Franshoek - Capetown, Table Mountain, Robben Island, the peninsula. If it's the right season, try and get up to Namaqualand to see the wild flowers. The Garden Route down through George and Knysna, very pretty. KwaZulu Natal - the Drakensberg, Hluluwe, and La Lucia/Sodwana if you can get up that way. Mpumenlanga - the Kruger Park, the escarpment, Blyde River, the waterfalls.

Mozambique - Eenhaca or any of the other small offshore islands - amazing diving.

Namibia - Etosha game reserve, the Skeleton Coast (tricky to get to), Fish River Canyon
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

AirPacific747

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:08 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 1):
Kenya - never been, but I hear the Masai Mara is good, also the climb up Kilimanjaro (3 days hike)

I've been to both Kenya and Tanzania. I must remind you that Kilimanjaro is in Tanzania, not Kenya.

Kenya and Tanzania are nice but get out of Nairobi immediately after you land. It's a dangerous city for white people. And you can't just walk out of the lodges because there are dangerous animals everywhere so you are like trapped inside the lodge till you are going on a Safari again or till you are going to the next lodge, so two weeks is enough I concur.

My father has been to Ghana a few times now. He says that Ghana is a very safe country as the country has not been influenced by the western world very much. That means that it is safer to walk on the streets there. I'd still prefer to drive though.

[Edited 2006-10-04 23:10:28]

JGPH1A

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:11 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 2):
I've been to both Kenya and Tanzania. I must remind you that Kilimanjaro is in Tanzania, not Kenya

OK, my bad ! But you can see it from Kenya, so it's pretty close.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

speedbird747BA

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:12 am

- amazing diving.

great! im a padi adv open water, so itll be good.

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

JGPH1A

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:15 am

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Reply 4):
great! im a padi adv open water, so itll be good.

You can dive at Sodwana as well, it is the only coral reef diveable in South Africa, it's the very end of the same reef that passes along the east coast of Africa from Lomu down past Zanzibar, the Comores and Mozambique.

AirPacific747

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:16 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 3):
OK, my bad ! But you can see it from Kenya, so it's pretty close.

True

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 5):

You can dive at Sodwana as well, it is the only coral reef diveable in South Africa, it's the very end of the same reef that passes along the east coast of Africa from Lomu down past Zanzibar, the Comores and Mozambique.

That's a good suggestion!
Be careful though that the guide doesn't have the "don't worry be happy" attitude if you know what I mean.

[Edited 2006-10-04 23:19:03]

NoUFO

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:22 am

Sansibar. People are tolerant and open and the scenery is simply beautiful.
I support the right to arm bears

AirPacific747

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:25 am

If you want to go to Kenya, or Sansibar for that matter you might as well combine it with a week or two on the Seychelles. Beautiful islands! Many people do this and the Seychelles offer great diving opportunities as well

[Edited 2006-10-04 23:25:44]

JGPH1A

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:29 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 8):
If you want to go to Kenya, or Sansibar for that matter you might as well combine it with a week or two on the Seychelles. Beautiful islands! Many people do this and the Seychelles offer great diving opportunities as well

The Seychelles are fabe beyond belief, out of this world, and if you have the time (and the money !) I heartily recommend them. But getting from the African mainland out to the Seychelles is not necessarily that easy and certainly not cheap.

IFEMaster

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:41 am

If you can make it to The Seychelles, you will not be disappointed. Personally, it's the most beautiful place on the planet that I've been.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

AirPacific747

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:38 pm

The Seychelles is also the only place on Earth where you find coconuts shaped like the lower region of a woman  Wink

JGPH1A

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:41 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 11):
The Seychelles is also the only place on Earth where you find coconuts shaped like the lower region of a woman

The Seychelles entry/exit passport stamp is that exact shape too (tee hee) - can't wait to horrify some uptight CBP inspector with it  biggrin 

AirPacific747

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:45 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 12):
The Seychelles entry/exit passport stamp is that exact shape too (tee hee) - can't wait to horrify some uptight CBP inspector with it

Awesome! I don't remember that. Must have been too young to think about that sort of thing back then

I was around 10 years old when I was there

[Edited 2006-10-05 16:46:29]

VC10BOAC

Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:14 am

Ghana is fine but for a really memorable vacation try flying British Airways (BMED) or Bellview from LHR to Freetown, Sierra Leone (FNA) or Astreus from LGW, and then Kenya Airways from Freetown to Nairobi (via lagos)

Freetown is a very dynamic 24 hour city and actually one of the safest in West Africa for tourists since the civil war ended in 2002. The beaches on the atlantic coast surrounding the western peninsula where Freetown is located are some of the most beautiful I have seen, true tropical paradise. There has been a lot of negative press especially during the war however watch this video at http://visitsierraleone.org/docs/cnbc.wmv to see the great progress made in the past few years. It is also relatively cheap and the local people are extremely friendly.

TPAflyer

Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:18 am

If your going to South Africa, Sun City is awesome, so is Cape Town and Durban.

overlander

Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:50 am

Where ever you go in Africa you will certainly have a great experience.

Go without any prejudice and don't believe some of the rubbish you will hear or read.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 2):
Kenya and Tanzania are nice but get out of Nairobi immediately after you land. It's a dangerous city for white people.

As someone who has spent some time living and travelling around Africa (and several months in Nairobi), I can tell you I have never had any problems and I wish I was back there right now.

Have a great time where ever you decide to visit.
It is better to travel hopefully.............but, always be prepared for the worst!

AirPacific747

Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:22 am

Quoting Overlander (Reply 16):

As someone who has spent some time living and travelling around Africa (and several months in Nairobi), I can tell you I have never had any problems and I wish I was back there right now.

We didn't have any problems either but you can always be unfortunate, and one of my class mates in elementary school had some grandparents who went to Kenya on a safari trip but were killed in Nairobi.

[Edited 2006-10-05 21:23:31]

andz

Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:12 pm

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Thread starter):
although all that AIDS and civil war is a bit unnerving...).

Yeah you must watch out for the AIDS flies they can be deadly.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

USAFHummer

Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:00 pm

also the climb up Kilimanjaro (3 days hike).

I think the climb up Kilimanjaro is more on the order of a week or so...
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

JGPH1A

Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:50 pm

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 19):
I think the climb up Kilimanjaro is more on the order of a week or so...

Hmmm - if I did it, it would take several months (and a large crane).

usair320

Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:50 pm

The Closest Ive been to Africa is when I was in Spain we took a ferrie ove to Morroco and Caught the Bus to Marakesh for a day. Great trip.

kaddyuk

Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:07 pm

Stay away from Speedbirdie and you'll be fine...!
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

AirPacific747

Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:43 pm

Quoting Usair320 (Reply 21):
The Closest Ive been to Africa is when I was in Spain we took a ferrie ove to Morroco and Caught the Bus to Marakesh for a day. Great trip.

So technically you have been to Africa  Smile

I went there as well but that was on a cruise. The ship stopped in Agadir, and we took a bus to Marrakech. I remember that you could get your teeth pulled out on the street at small stalls and without any anaesthetic.

overlander

Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:06 pm

Here are a couple of links to companies that do trips in Africa. It should at least give you some ideas for places to visit or travel to and from :-

www.dragoman.com

www.exodus.co.uk
It is better to travel hopefully.............but, always be prepared for the worst!

cedars747

Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:39 pm

I have been in Côte D'ivoire.
-Abidjan is referred to as the "Paris of West Africa" because of its parks, broad boulevards, universities, exotic fashions and museums
-Assini has beautiful beaches and fisherman villages of which I visited some.
-Yamoussoukro is also the site of what is claimed to be largest Christian place of worship on Earth: The Basilica of Our Lady of Peace of Yamoussoukro, consecrated by Pope John Paul II on September 10, 1990.

Abidjan

The Basilica of Our Lady of Peace of Yamoussoukro

Assini village

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

JGPH1A

Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:45 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 25):
I have been in Côte D'ivoire.

Yes, but isn't there a civil war going on there just at the moment. Best avoided, I would think.

cedars747

Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:48 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 26):
Yes, but isn't there a civil war going on there just at the moment. Best avoided, I would think.

Yup ,but mainly in the north of the country
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

usair320

Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:03 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 23):
So technically you have been to Africa

Yeah but not as Deep in as I would want to Go(Namibia). Although With just a ferrie and a bus I went through a complete culture change. and yes Marrekech is a very odd city. But fun anyway.

captaink

Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:35 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 17):
We didn't have any problems either but you can always be unfortunate, and one of my class mates in elementary school had some grandparents who went to Kenya on a safari trip but were killed in Nairobi.

And that can happen in just about any place really, especially big cities. Still very sad though.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 23):
So technically you have been to Africa

Hmm Morocco is in North Africa.. Big grin

I would really like to see what African Countries are all about. They seem very exotic, and exciting. A culture that just is, well different. My family have been to Ghana many times, and they seem to really like it.
There is something special about planes....

AirPacific747

Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:14 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 29):

And that can happen in just about any place really, especially big cities. Still very sad though.

Yes but you're naive if you think that Nairobi is as safe as London for example because it is not.

Quoting Captaink (Reply 29):
Hmm Morocco is in North Africa..

Morocco is on the African continent, agree? Therefore Morocco is a part of Africa.

captaink

Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:54 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 30):
Yes but you're naive if you think that Nairobi is as safe as London for example because it is not.

Trust me I am not that naive .. Big grin
There is something special about planes....

AirPacific747

Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:29 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 31):
Trust me I am not that naive ..

No need to pointing it out then  Wink