BowflexBrennan
Topic Author

Help; My Computers Infected

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:46 am

Everytime I'm on the computer, I keep getting pop ups that say stuff like, "Attention! Your computer may be infected, try our product." and stuff like that. I have tried to find the source of thess pop up problems, but no luck. My computer is also running slower. I suspect it has viruses. Any thoughts on how to get rid of this crap?

bill142

RE: Help; My Computers Infected

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:48 am

get some ant-spyware and anti-adware software. Spyware doctor seems pretty good.

halls120

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:01 pm

Quoting BowflexBrennan (Thread starter):
Any thoughts on how to get rid of this crap?

Sell the POS and get a Mac. Annoying Spyware was one of the prime reasons I crossed over.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

mspguy

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:28 pm

You don't have a virus you have spyware. download Spybot, Ad Aware, or Microsoft's anti-spyware product. They're all free and do a decent job.
If it ain't broke, DON'T touch it!!!!

AC773

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:39 pm

Quoting MSPGUY (Reply 3):
You don't have a virus you have spyware. download Spybot, Ad Aware, or Microsoft's anti-spyware product. They're all free and do a decent job.

Additinally, it's recommended to run at least two different scanners. Each program is coded differently, and no antispyware program can catch everything. The second will pick up what the first has left behind.
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

Jetsgo

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:52 pm

I use Webroot Spysweeper. It cost about 40 bucks, but is the best thing on the market. I haven't had a single problem since I installed it.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

LFutia

Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:42 pm

the best to remove all that garbage is to re-install windows. even after you uninstall, its still in the registry somewhere deep down inside. Should you decide to go that route, back up your stuff.

Leo aka The CompUSA tech for A.net.
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

andessmf

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:41 pm

Quoting Lfutia (Reply 6):
Leo aka The CompUSA tech for A.net.

Having gone thru this somewhat recently, I can tell you two things to fix your problem. Go to lavasoftware to download ad-aware. Great spyware program, and free. Last step is to go to your windows add/remove programs and remove all programs that you didnt install. Had the same pop up happen to me. I could not clean it up. And then I realized it was an actual installed program in the computer.

LFutia

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:43 pm

yes but even after you remove it, there still will be traces of it in the registry.

Leo
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

NeilYYZ

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:51 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 2):
Sell the POS and get a Mac. Annoying Spyware was one of the prime reasons I crossed over.

That's what I'm doing sometime soon. MAC's are better in my opinion, and who doesn't like their TV commercials?
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

andessmf

Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:07 pm

Quoting Lfutia (Reply 8):
there still will be traces of it in the registry.

I havent completely checked it, but it worked fine after the removal of the hijacking program. The registry gets to be a mess after a few years anyway, so I would suggest (if you have time) reformatting and reinstallation.

tmatt95

Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:57 pm

Quoting BowflexBrennan (Thread starter):
Everytime I'm on the computer, I keep getting pop ups that say stuff like, "Attention! Your computer may be infected, try our product." and stuff like that. I have tried to find the source of thess pop up problems, but no luck. My computer is also running slower. I suspect it has viruses. Any thoughts on how to get rid of this crap?

Try a freeware anti spy ware and also a free anti virus program. I have included links to the ones I use on my computer:

Anti spy ware freeware program:
http://www.lavasoft.de/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php

Anti Virus freeware program:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Sell the POS and get a Mac. Annoying Spy ware was one of the prime reasons I crossed over.

Please dont turn this thread into a Mac vs Windows thread... He has not said anything about Macs in the thread starter so I think it is safe to assume he is not interested in buying a new computer but instead, in fixing the current system. I am being hypocritical as I have posted replies to Mac vs Windows debates in the past. They get nowhere and I have learnt the best way to get an interesting debate started in the non av forum is to start a new thread on the subject.  Smile

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 9):

That's what I'm doing sometime soon. Mac's are better in my opinion, and who doesn't like their TV commercials?

They do create great adverts.  Smile

Matt

saxdiva

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:14 pm

Infected Windows machine? No sweat.

Won't give you another problem.

TedTAce

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:02 pm

You have two choices.

1) backup your data then format and reload the OS
2) spend countless hours letting spyware and antivirus try to get rid of it.

If there is one thing I have learned over the past few years with windows it's to make the operating system as disposable as possible.
This space intentionally left blank

sudden

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:05 pm

Quoting MSPGUY (Reply 3):
Ad Aware

This program is ok, but will not take away your pop-up about that your PC is most likey infected. I got hit by Trojan a couple of weeks ago as my antivirus had not been renewed, my bad of course.
But the pop-up and the little icon "Click here for antivirus programs to download" did not make this go away.

I renewed, and upgraded to Panda Titanium, and that deleted the pop-up.

You should also install "Discwasher" as this program simply deletes all the rubbish.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

halls120

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:11 pm

Quoting Tmatt95 (Reply 11):
Sell the POS and get a Mac. Annoying Spy ware was one of the prime reasons I crossed over.

Please dont turn this thread into a Mac vs Windows thread... He has not said anything about Macs in the thread starter so I think it is safe to assume he is not interested in buying a new computer but instead, in fixing the current system.

I'm not trying to start anything. I'm serious - he should seriously consider leaving Windows for good. For years I put up with all the garbage that goes along with the Windows OS, using many of the fixes people have mentioned. They work to a degree, but eventually the slimeball hackers develop workarounds, and you need to get a new fix.

Just switch over. It's painless.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

AC773

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:21 am

Quoting Lfutia (Reply 8):
yes but even after you remove it, there still will be traces of it in the registry.

And???

Seriously, you'll be fine with just the anitspyware apps. Doing a fresh install of XP is complete overkill.  Yeah sure
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

ltbewr

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:23 am

It could be that your anti-virus program is infected. In that case go to the website of your anti-virus program for instruction on how to uninstall and reinstall. I had that happen to me earlier this year and the only way to clean it up my spyware/junkware problem.

carmenlu15

Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:58 am

I had a HUGE spyware problem a few months back, and did the usual thing (i.e. asking on A.net for help Big grin). I found the suggestions on my thread ( Spyware Invasion! Aaarrgh! (by Carmenlu15 Feb 25 2006 in Non Aviation) ) extremely helpful, and have had absolutely no problems ever since. And didn't need to reinstall Windows either...

Hope this helps!
Carmen
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.