777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Tin Tin Could Be Coming To Wellington, New Zealand

Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:32 pm

Wellington could be poised to host another Hollywood blockbuster – a film version of the Tintin books linked to Peter Jackson and Richard Taylor's Weta workshop.

It is understood the live-action film is in preliminary planning, with French director Jean-Pierre Jeunet, best known for Amelie, approached to act as director, producer or both.

Sources say Oscar-winning Weta Workshop and Weta Digital, jointly owned by Jackson, Taylor and Jamie Selkirk, will be involved.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3820755a10,00.html

Peter Jackson and Weta Worships did the Lord of The Rings and King Kong movies
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

QANTASforever

RE: Tin Tin Could Be Coming To Wellington, New Zealand

Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:53 pm

My god you New Zealanders rave on with this WETA and Peter Jackson stuff.

Just get over it - most countries have major studios and host these sorts of productions. You're not special.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:00 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 1):

Its perfectly fine to accept that Australia isn't hosting any popular or major movies.
Head Forum Moderator

Newark777

RE: Tin Tin Could Be Coming To Wellington, New Zea

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:07 pm

Just get over it - most countries have major studios and host these sorts of productions. You're not special.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. We have family friends from NZ, and they can't stop talking about it. I don't think they realize most people just don't give a shit which movies have been filmed there.

By the way, I think it's kick ass they're making a Tin Tin movie, I used to love the books when I was younger. I'm actually going to get up now and see if I can find any of them.  Smile

Harry

[Edited 2006-10-07 10:08:55]
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

AirPacific747

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:51 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 3):

I'm sure it is difficult for you to understand since you live in the States which is a big country, and is the home of Hollywood, but for small countries, it is a major thing, and I understand why New Zealanders are proud of this. I would be too if such a big blockbuster as the LOTR had been made in Denmark.

PureKiwi

Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:18 pm

Just get over it - most countries have major studios and host these sorts of productions. You're not special

This is another movie Peter Jackson says he's going to make but the paper did a story a few weeks ago about all the movies hes planning to make and there was a few but I don't know how long its going to take to get them all finished and Jackson also wants to start producing games. I support New Zealand and everything like that but I think everyones taking it too far and getting a bit up themselves, whenever the papers mention Peter Jackson or WETA they call wellington Wellywood. They even let weta workshops put a big "sculpture" in wellington and it looks like they glued a few things from the tip together in the shape of a tripod and it cost the taxpayers heaps but since it was made by WETA it was worth it. New Zealanders really need to get over themselves.

JGPH1A

Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:34 pm

Just get over it - most countries have major studios and host these sorts of productions.

Oh yes, and Australia didn't go completely mental over the opening of Fox Studios in Sydney and the fact they made that POS "Mission Unwatchable 2" there. Come on, 'fess up - it did happen.

LOTR was at least a masterpiece of the cinematic art, and all the location work was done in NZ as well, so you can't blame NZ for being just a little bit stoked about it.

The less said about King Kong, however, the better  thumbsdown 
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

QANTASforever

Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:51 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 2):
Its perfectly fine to accept that Australia isn't hosting any popular or major movies.

Bunk.

We have more than our fair share of extremely major films being made here - but we don't go mental over it.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 6):
Oh yes, and Australia didn't go completely mental over the opening of Fox Studios in Sydney and the fact they made that POS "Mission Unwatchable 2" there. Come on, 'fess up - it did happen.

Of course it did. The opening of a major international film studio would make most cities excited. It also incorporated a theme park and shopping district which makes it a little more exciting than the "Wellywood" precinct of the New Zealand capital. A lot more has been made here than Mission Impossible 2 (and you know it).

I just think the kiwis need to be a little cooler about it all. When I was there last it was actually a big news story that Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz were in the country at the same time. I felt like I was missing the significance of the event. It just makes them look like poor relations visiting the big smoke the way they carry on. Just be cool guys.

QFF

JGPH1A

Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:55 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 7):
A lot more has been made here than Mission Impossible 2 (and you know it).

I know that, but MU:2 was the first big one, and it was a huge deal, as I recall. I'm sure lots of others have been produced there since.

When I was there last it was actually a big news story that Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz were in the country at the same time

Remember that NZ is a very small country population-wise and is quite far away from everywhere else. South Africa used to be the same way, the arrival of anyone remotely famous was (and still is, I believe) a major event. And let's be honest here, how many New Zealanders, apart from Sir Edmund Hilary, Peter Jackson, and Madge, have made it to fame beyond the South Pacific ? Not that many.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

MYT332

Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:00 pm

I've been told I look like Tin Tin. Sad
One Life, Live it.

QantasA332

RE: Tin Tin Could Be Coming To Wellington, New Zea

Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:32 pm

We have family friends from NZ, and they can't stop talking about it. I don't think they realize most people just don't give a shit which movies have been filmed there.

You're right, who does give a shit about what movies have been filmed there? Kind of sad that they go on about that, because by itself - movies well aside - NZ is a kick-ass country (bar the All Blacks...but let's not get into that). It shouldn't take LOTR for people to recognise how beautiful it is over there...

Newark777

Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 9):
I've been told I look like Tin Tin

Well, you do.  Smile

Harry

JGPH1A

Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:44 pm

I've been told I look like Tin Tin

More like Snowy. Wooah wooah ! hehe.

AirPacific747

Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:55 pm

I've been told I look like Tin Tin.

That's like comparing a Ferrari with a Lada Big grin  duck 

DIJKKIJK

Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:55 am

There has been some talk of Tintin and Captain Haddock being a gay couple....
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Newark777

Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:57 am

Quoting DIJKKIJK (Reply 14):
There has been some talk of Tintin and Captain Haddock being a gay couple....

Yeah, gays always come out with classic characters that they think are gay. Everyone has a nice little chuckle, and doesn't care much more about it.

Harry

QANTASforever

Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:39 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 15):
Yeah, gays always come out with classic characters that they think are gay.

Would you care to elaborate on that ridiculous and inflammatory comment?

QFF

Newark777

Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:55 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 16):
Would you care to elaborate on that ridiculous and inflammatory comment?

I've heard everything from Bert and Ernie, Popeye and Bluto, and a bunch of others that have been rumored to be gay.

Harry

QANTASforever

Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:03 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 17):
I've heard everything from Bert and Ernie, Popeye and Bluto, and a bunch of others that have been rumored to be gay.

It wasn't the second part of your comment I had a problem with, it was the "gays always come out with..." part. You can't cast dispersions over millions of people like that. It's the same as saying "all black people do this" and "all Asians do that".

QFF

Newark777

Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:07 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 18):
It wasn't the second part of your comment I had a problem with, it was the "gays always come out with..." part. You can't cast dispersions over millions of people like that. It's the same as saying "all black people do this" and "all Asians do that".

Oh, ok, it's just a case of you having to read my post again. You clearly missed the fact that no where in the post it said anything about gays as a whole. In your examples you conveniently added the word "all." Nice try.

Harry

Mir

Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:27 am

By the way, I think it's kick ass they're making a Tin Tin movie

They'd better not mess it up though.

And there's a reason for that. Maybe you could play him in the movie.  Smile

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:15 am

When I was there last it was actually a big news story that Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz were in the country at the same time.

Tom Cruise was in Taranaki and Taranakians were mental over it. You can't blame them thou because a famous person doing a movie in Taranaki. Taranaki isn't that popular.

I just think the kiwis need to be a little cooler about it all

As has been said, NZ is a small country compared to Australia. SYDs population is basically the same as NZs. I'm sure if you called NZ home, like I'm proud to then you would understand.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 8):
Madge

Who is that?

Quoting QantasA332 (Reply 10):
NZ is a kick-ass country (bar the All Blacks...but let's not get into that).

Well what countrys rugby team has won the Belsodie cup (excuse the spelling)for the last two years and who stopped the Australians chances before it was over for the year?

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 13):

That's like comparing a Ferrari with a Lada

Comparing a Lada to a Ferrari is the total insult to a Ferrari
Head Forum Moderator

kiwiinoz

Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:49 pm

This is a funny post, and quite typically a-net. A post that would normally raise a bit of interest amongst the film buffs, instead results in the usual, sour, "look at me I'm Australian" humourless response from QFF, and an accusation of homosexual stereotyping!!

I used to read the Tim tin comics. Would be great to see a film.

VHVXB

Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:28 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 21):
Well what countrys rugby team has won the Belsodie cup (excuse the spelling)for the last two years and who stopped the Australians chances before it was over for the year?

hahahaha thats the only trophy they can win and the Tri Nations. Your last three world cup campaigns have all been failures even though you field the strongest team

andz

Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:39 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 21):
Belsodie cup (excuse the spelling)

LOL not even close! It's Bledisloe!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

QANTASforever

Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:28 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 22):
A post that would normally raise a bit of interest amongst the film buffs

Pfft. This is New Zealand self-gloss and you know it.

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 22):
"look at me I'm Australian" humourless response from QFF

My response matched the wit and humour of the original post.

QFF

kiwiinoz

Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:56 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 25):

Hmmm...maybe it is self gloss. I presume being an Australian, (and therefore, an exponent of the "tall poppy" syndrome), rather than accepting that someone is proud of this achievement, you prefer to have a whinge about it??....Classy

As for the gay debate, why did that one fizzle out??

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 23):
hahahaha thats the only trophy they can win and the Tri Nations. Your last three world cup campaigns have all been failures even though you field the strongest team

Now that's just mean. Good to see rugby make an appearence on the kiwi/gay bashing/film appreciation thread

QANTASforever

Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:17 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 26):
I presume being an Australian, (and therefore, an exponent of the "tall poppy" syndrome)

I'm an exponent of no such thing. I just think you guys should be a little cooler about it. You don't see Australians starting threads like: "Superman Coming To Sydney", or "Star Wars Filming in Australia" etc etc. If we did, people would find it tedious. Like this thread.

As for the gay debate, why did that one fizzle out??

Good point....

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 19):
You clearly missed the fact that no where in the post it said anything about gays as a whole.

It was seriously implied by your use of language. Let me change your first comment just a little:

"Yeah, black people always come out with classic characters that they think are black. Everyone has a nice little chuckle, and doesn't care much more about it."

Does that sit well with you?

QFF

VHVXB

Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:48 pm

Now that's just mean. Good to see rugby make an appearence on the kiwi/gay bashing/film appreciation thread

well you claim to be the best team in the world but you haven't proved it since 1987

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 27):
I'm an exponent of no such thing. I just think you guys should be a little cooler about it. You don't see Australians starting threads like: "Superman Coming To Sydney", or "Star Wars Filming in Australia" etc etc. If we did, people would find it tedious. Like this thread.

checkmark 

KiwiTEAL

Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:33 pm

We have more than our fair share of extremely major films being made here - but we don't go mental over it.

Yes QFF, but less than 2% of them are "Australian" movies. Brian Brown was speaking on the radio last month, bemoaning the fact that there is little or "no" true Aussie content movies being made here at the moment - its all "imports" from the USA, who find it cheaper to make the movies here with the exchange rate.

Can't remember the last true "Aussie" movie to have been made here in recent years other than perhaps "Priscilla Queen of the DEsert" ....... maybe thats the "GAY" thing you were referring to? Aussies make wonderful gay movies (funny that??  Big grin )

Where are the likes of Breaker Morant, Man from Snowy River, Town Like Alice and all the brilliant stuff that came out of Australia (by Australians!!!) in the 1980-90's? Now its overseas content/financed - with token Aussies in the cast....... and then they twist it and call it "an Australian movie.

I think tiny NZ is fully entitled to revel in their new found film world. Once apon a time, all they excelled in was rugby union, now they have found a footing in a number of other remarkable ventures and succeeded!

Some times I feel that QFF is the major exponent of Australias worst trait...... that being the "tall poppy syndrome" - an intense disfavour of people (other than Australians) who atain a high level of success/reputation/good luck.

Then again........ what would A.net be without our resident misery QFF  Smile

KiwiTEAL

QANTASforever

Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:30 pm

Quoting KiwiTEAL (Reply 29):
Yes QFF, but less than 2% of them are "Australian" movies.

They do inject hundreds of millions of dollars into the state economy every year. That's worth a lot.

Some of the movies coming out of New Zealand recently are hardly representations of local stories. Middle earth, 1920s New York, and now the battle of britain! The difference of course is that they use local directors and writers - but I can assure you the money is all coming from one place - hollywood.

Aussies make wonderful gay movies (funny that?? )

I don't understand your point.

Where are the likes of Breaker Morant, Man from Snowy River, Town Like Alice and all the brilliant stuff that came out of Australia (by Australians!!!) in the 1980-90's?

I agree. All great films. But we've had some great Australian films out this year. Ten Canoes, Jinabyne, Candy, The Book of Revelation - further back we have The Dish and Moulin Rouge. Coming up is the new Australian epic from Baz Luhrman. Sure, we need more Australian films - but I don't think we're doing as bad as you think.

Now its overseas content/financed - with token Aussies in the cast....... and then they twist it and call it "an Australian movie.

Yeah, see my point above about LOTR and King Kong being "New Zealand" films.

Some times I feel that QFF is the major exponent of Australias worst trait...... that being the "tall poppy syndrome"

I hate the tall poppy syndrome, and nowhere in this thread have I singled out anyone who has achieved a great deal for ridicule. I criticised spinning a film story into NZ-self gloss, but that doesn't qualify for tall poppy syndrome.

I strongly believe in encouraging Australians to achieve great things, and my record on these forums supports that.

Then again........ what would A.net be without our resident misery QFF

The board would have to contend with you filling in on a casual basis.

Look John - you're a kiwi as far as I can tell, so you're reaction isn't all that surprising. But I'm probably one of the most pro-New Zealand Australians you're ever likely to come across. Change the subject, my character is irrelevant and your attacks are lazy.

QFF

ZKSUJ

Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:30 pm

Quoting PureKiwi (Reply 5):
New Zealanders really need to get over themselves.

I agree, LOTR is being over bashed if you know what I mean. A little more of a 'not so big deal' attitude would be nice because the world frankly doesn't care. I'm all for being proud of NZ as a country, but watching the Oscars a few years back, it got really boring with all the 'thanks to NZ' every 2 minutes. Raving about it more makes it seem like we ain't good for anything.

Just my $0.02 NZ

VHVXB

Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:01 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 30):
The Dish

Thats a great film so is the film the Castle