9V
Topic Author

Question For All French Smokers?

Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:58 am

France is to ban smoking in all public places from next February, the prime minister has announced.

So how do you feel about next year's ban?

Klaus

RE: Question For All French Smokers?

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:03 am

Envious!  gnasher 

Thom@s

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:09 am

About time...  Smile

Public smoking was banned in Norway two years ago, and after a few months nobody were really complaining about it anymore. As a non-smoker I think it is a good thing, but I might add that I don't really mind people who smoke. It's when they get together in a small area it becomes annoying.. Hehe.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

solnabo

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:20 am

Sweden ban smoking sometime ago and thou I´m a smoker I think the ban is great, you can´t smoke in bars/disco´s especially wintertime when to go out and puff in -20C..........*brrrrrrr*

Micke//  cold 
Airbus SAS - Love them both

707CMF

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:40 am

As the Beatles sang :

I'm so glaaaad !!!

Cheers,

JAGflyer

Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:09 am

So you can chain smoke your Gitanes and Gauloises, all the better for us non-smokers. Big grin
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

Mir

Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:01 am

What is the definition of "public places"?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Sabena332

Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:00 am

Nobody will care I guess. Not too long ago I stood at CDG T2F and smoked a cig directly under a "No smoking" sign, suddenly a police officer turned up and I thought that he will told me that smoking is not allowed in the airport. Guess what he did..................... yes, he pulled out a smoke of his pocket and asked me for fire. Big grin

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

AsstChiefMark

Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:38 am

I've never seen more people smoking everywhere as I have in France. I've seen them smoke while riding motorcycles and while fueling their cars with petrol. Carefree and careless.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

strasserb

Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:26 am

Bien sure?
They already declared the "ban" ten years ago. And what was the result?
Put your Gitane on the table and you'll get an ashtray; immediately.
Still, even in the most arid desert is an airport somewhere ...

ArmitageShanks

Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:50 am

While I don't really like to watch a movie, eat dinner, or sit in a waiting room filled with smoke, I still think it should be the decision of the property owner if they want to ban smoking.

I went to NYC this summer and it was a bit silly not being allowed to smoke in a BAR while drinking. (I don't smoke, but still.)

David L

Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:19 pm

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 10):
I still think it should be the decision of the property owner if they want to ban smoking.

I completely agree with legislation to ensure people can enjoy smoke-free facilities but I don't see why the establishment owners can't provide a smoking area as well.

kaddyuk

Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:46 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 11):
I completely agree with legislation to ensure people can enjoy smoke-free facilities but I don't see why the establishment owners can't provide a smoking area as well.

Its not just about the health of the public, but the health of employees at risk... Nothing good comes from smoking!
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

Toulouse

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:04 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 8):
I've never seen more people smoking everywhere as I have in France. I've seen them smoke while riding motorcycles and while fueling their cars with petrol. Carefree and careless.

After 4 years living in France, I'm delighted to say I'm still to see somebody smoking while filling their car with petrol! Have you been to Spain? Now that's a place where you see people smoke any and everywhere!

Regarding the ban, I'm all in favour, done in Ireland a number of years ago and a total success. Nevertheless, I don't see the problem with implementing "properly isolated" smoking areas for smokers in bars/restaurants, etc, as the smoking ban law in Spain dictates.
Long live Aer Lingus!

David L

Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 12):
Its not just about the health of the public, but the health of employees at risk.

I still don't think that's a good enough reason for the extreme reaction that seems to be the trend. Plenty of publicans suggested a properly vented smoking room where there was no table service and the empty glasses wouldn't be collected during opening hours and plenty had spent a fortune on much more effective ventilation. At my local pubs, most of the staff smoke. Make it illegal to force anyone to work in a smokey environment.

I must say, I thought France would be one of the last to go.

On the plus side, people are noticing bad breath, BO and the smell from the toilets much more now.  Smile