kaddyuk

Ricky Gervais - Extras

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:03 am

This week its the Turn of Sir Ian McKellen as a director of a Very Gay theatrical piece of which Gervais is a star.

I think this series is an absolute work of Genius and some of the jokes had me laughing for AGES!

"The Crazy Frog, He's Gotta be what? Second richest frog in the world after Kermit?"

Does anyone on the forums watch this absolute Gem of a comedy?
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

IFEMaster

RE: Ricky Gervais - Extras

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:47 am

Ricky Gervais is a god of comedy, a complete humour genius. The Office, Extras, his Podcast, and Flanimals are absolute works of genius.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

deltagator

Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:02 pm

I just don't think it is that funny. Perhaps I've run up against British humor that I don't get and that is the issue. I loved The Office but have given up on Extras.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

QANTASforever

Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:25 pm

I think his work is so brilliant it deserves its own category. It's not just "comedy", it's existentialist, deconstructionist art. It touches on philosophy and humanity - but it translates into humour. Gervais is a genius - I am a huge fan.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 1):
The Office, Extras, his Podcast, and Flanimals are absolute works of genius.

Agreed. His discovery of Karl Pilkington deserves a knighthood.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

bristolflyer

Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:32 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Thread starter):
Does anyone on the forums watch this absolute Gem of a comedy?

I heard that it bombed, tho that was an American report and UK & US humor is not always compatable. Has it had good viewing figures in the UK?
Fortune favours the brave

saintsman

Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:45 pm

Perhaps the biggest joke of all is that people find him funny. He has one style. Watch him in The office, Extras or live and you won't notice anything different.
Hardly a genius then  Yeah sure

linco22

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:50 pm

Seen it a few times but as my attention span is extremely short, haven't seen much of it.

Boo

Regards
Me

9V

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:59 pm

"Is he 'avin a laugh? He's 'avin a laugh!"

Big grin

Banco

Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:37 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 4):
I heard that it bombed, tho that was an American report and UK & US humor is not always compatable. Has it had good viewing figures in the UK?

Yes, it has had good viewing figures. Some of the media got a bit snidey when it started - the usual "knock 'em down" approach, but the public seem to like it a lot. Got to say though that it's beginning to look suspiciously like the warm-up for That Mitchell and Webb Look which comes on straight after.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

MYT332

Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:38 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 8):
That Mitchell and Webb Look

Which is pretty good too, they were on J Ross on Friday. I couldn't place them until just now so thank you for the reminder.

Extra's I'm a fan of I must say although I can't tell you what day or time it's on! Still, I'd be depressed if I missed it.

The episodes from series 1 with Patrick Stewart and Kate Winslett were my favourites.
One Life, Live it.

linco22

Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:40 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 9):
they were on J Ross on Friday

Great show, I love it when people get Gordon Ramsey wound up!

9V

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:24 am

Did you watch Gary Barlow on JW? JW asked him how many calories he burned during sex and he replied "5 or 6". Then JW said "and what about when the wife's home?"  rotfl 

linco22

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:27 am

Quoting 9V (Reply 11):
Did you watch Gary Barlow on JW? JW asked him how many calories he burned during sex and he replied "5 or 6". Then JW said "and what about when the wife's home?"

Yeah, then proceeded to get tore into some doughnuts

kaddyuk

Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:00 pm

Quoting Saintsman (Reply 5):
Perhaps the biggest joke of all is that people find him funny. He has one style. Watch him in The office, Extras or live and you won't notice anything different.

Shows you dont pay attention. The acting styles between the office and extras is blindingly obviously.

In the office, Gervais is the one creating the awkward situations and sheer cringe comedy. However in Extras, gervais is the more straight up character and it is everyone else which gives it a "flavour" of the office. However, this is Gervais' style and is the whole reason WHY its funny!

GDB

Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:04 am

Ricky is not the only one doing this sort of comedy, based on faux pas, embarresment etc.
I have all 5 series of Larry David's 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' on DVD, love it.

Fact is, a lot of the best UK comedy has always been a bit like this, characters are not young, bright, shiny happy people, but often trapped, often desperate.
The Prison sitcom 'Porridge', 'Only Fools And Horses', then the 12 programmes of comedy gold-Faulty Towers, with all of the Cleese's characters unhappiness, social snobbery and his teetering on the edge of a nervous breakdown.

I for one, cannot stick stuff like 'Friends'.
Ugh.

Note an attempt at a US style sitcom started last week on the BBC, 'Not Going Out', Anglo/US main cast, smart locations, a lot of sweeping cityscape shots, and it seems a totally un-natural machine gun like delivery of gags, most not very funny.
I barely laughed, compare that to 'Harry Potter' Daniel Radcliffe playing a vile version of himself in Extras, trying to impress a woman with a unravelled condom, only for it to end up on the head of veteran actress, Dame Diana Rigg.

But, would not do for us to all be the same.

kaddyuk

Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:51 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 14):
compare that to 'Harry Potter' Daniel Radcliffe playing a vile version of himself in Extras, trying to impress a woman with a unravelled condom, only for it to end up on the head of veteran actress, Dame Diana Rigg.

Can I have my Jonnie back?

9V

Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:46 am

This week its the Turn of Sir Ian McKellen as a director of a Very Gay theatrical piece

That was funny as hell! I can't believe next week is the last one! There is so much crap on tv. Next week Andy sacks his agent. Big grin

leigh pilgrim

Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:18 am

Quoting 9V (Reply 16):
This week its the Turn of Sir Ian McKellen as a director of a Very Gay theatrical piece

That episode was the funniest thing on TV I have seen, absolutly brilliant!!!!, and the one before with Ronnie Corbet, that was just as good!!

kaddyuk

Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:28 am

Quoting Leigh pilgrim (Reply 17):
That episode was the funniest thing on TV I have seen, absolutly brilliant!!!!, and the one before with Ronnie Corbet, that was just as good!!

I thought i was watching KROC when Bunny came on and said "I've divorced my wife, now i can get all the cock i like without feeling gulity!"