Kay
Topic Author

Charging The Ipod Nano. Must Be A Better Solution

Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:51 am

I bought my girlfriend the new iPod nano 2Gbytes. The new models look far more robust and are a marvel to use.

But then we discovered that we can't charge the thing except with a laptop. ???? What if she wants to travel? What if she doesn't want to keep the PC on all day? And if she wants to charge it at work, she needs to install iTunes there as well!

So there's definitely a better solution. What is it?  Smile

Kay

JAGflyer

RE: Charging The Ipod Nano. Must Be A Better Solution

Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:57 am

Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

AC773

RE: Charging The Ipod Nano. Must Be A Better Solut

Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:59 am

Quoting Kay (Thread starter):
So there's definitely a better solution. What is it?

It's Apple's own USB power adapter. Plugs right into the wall. You can buy them online or at any Apple Store for about 23 Euros.

The thing that really annoys me is that they used to be included free with the purchase of an iPod. Not anymore!  gnasher 
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

aloges

Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:59 am

Quoting Kay (Thread starter):
And if she wants to charge it at work, she needs to install iTunes there as well!

I think she only needs to connect it to a USB port while the PC is running, should be all.

There are USB power adaptors which you can use to charge any appliance that can be charged via USB, Apple themselves sell one and so does Hama. The Apple one would have cost EUR 30, the Hama one was about EUR 15 or 16 - and it works just as well.

However, don't buy just any adaptor - I had first bought a cheap one off of eBay which didn't charge my G4 iPod, but may very well charge other iPods. The rating was right, but AFAIK some iPods require some sort of "Kabel-Belegung" on the USB socket itself which the cheap one didn't have.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Kay
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:23 am

Hmm
In that case does the charger of a Generation4 Ipod (mine, which is barely still working) work for an iPod Nano? my first guess would have been no because I can't imagine how these two iPods could share the same battery ratings.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 3):
think she only needs to connect it to a USB port while the PC is running, should be all

Aloges, she tried that today, and it didn't work  Sad

Kay

Klaus

Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:05 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 2):
The thing that really annoys me is that they used to be included free with the purchase of an iPod. Not anymore!

No, it wasn't "for free" - it was just that everybody had to pay for the adapter in the higher total price, regardless whether they'd actually use it or not!

Now you have the choice.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 3):
I think she only needs to connect it to a USB port while the PC is running, should be all.

Correct. It needs to be a USB port which can supply a sufficient amount of power, however.

Quoting Kay (Reply 4):
In that case does the charger of a Generation4 Ipod (mine, which is barely still working) work for an iPod Nano? my first guess would have been no because I can't imagine how these two iPods could share the same battery ratings.

It should still work - there's not really anything battery-specific going on there - it just supplies standard USB power with enough current to charge an iPod. It's the iPod which has to manange the charging process itself.

Just try it!

ThePRGuy

Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:27 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 2):
The thing that really annoys me is that they used to be included free with the purchase of an iPod. Not anymore!

I think you will find that the prices of the ipods in the 'old' days were higher than they are now :P
Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.