johnboy79

Father Of School Shooter Arrested

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:56 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/A...ool-Shooting.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

"JOPLIN, Mo. (AP) -- The father of a 13-year-old who fired a shot inside his school in a bloodless shooting was arrested Thursday and charged with being a felon in possession of a gun, authorities said.

He has two felony convictions on his record: one for burglary in Florida and one for possession of a controlled substance in California, said Marino Vidoli, assistant special agent from the Kansas City office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Police found five rifles, two shotguns and one pistol during their search of White's home Monday, Vidoli said."

Can someone tell me how, with background checks, a convicted felon can own so many guns?

Another reason to ban them..... duck 
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

fumanchewd

RE: Father Of School Shooter Arrested

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:59 pm

Quoting Johnboy79 (Thread starter):
Can someone tell me how, with background checks, a convicted felon can own so many guns?

Its called the Classifieds or gun shows.

He's going away for a long time. When a felon gets caught with a gun, the feds get involved, and he'll do at least 5 years in the federal pen.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

ShyFlyer

Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:03 am

Laws only keep the honest people honest.
I lift things up and put them down.

AirCop

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:02 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 1):
Its called the Classifieds or gun shows.

Or just buying them on the street, or in this case maybe stealing them. (Prior conviction for Burglary)

Lets face it background checks etc are nothing more than a feel good solution.

Another reason to ban them..... duck

Don't think you wanted to go there.

And by the way welcome to the adventures of A.net

[Edited 2006-10-14 04:10:13]

ANCFlyer

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:07 am

Another reason to ban them.....  duck 

First off - Horseshit.

I can go to downtown Anchorage - or downtown anywhere, or suburbia anywhere, or middle of nowhere - and get a gun today.

No Gun ban is going to solve that problem. The illegal weapons will still be out there.

That's all I'll say in yet another BAN THE GUNS thread posted by the ignorant out of ignorance . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Queso

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:49 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
That's all I'll say in yet another BAN THE GUNS thread posted by the ignorant out of ignorance . . .

Pretty dramatic entrance for only two posts!

Welcome to A.net.

Edited to smooth off the edges.

[Edited 2006-10-14 05:03:58]

aa757first

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:52 am

Can you tell me how, with the DEA and police, methamphetamine is floating around America?

He got them illegally under these laws and he would have gotten them illegally no matter what laws were on the books.

AAndrew

ShakeZulaNJ

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:18 pm

There will always to be criminal activity. Not amount of regulation is going to stop that from happening. And as long as the 2nd amendment stands, guns will never be banned. Good luck trying to revoke that.

I, myself, have never held nor even seen a gun in person. I probably never will, and more than likely will never own one. But if I do, then I'm going to be a responsible person about owning and using it.
It's not bird strike, it's engine suck...

ShowerOfSparks

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:24 pm

Another reason to ban them.....

Couldn't agree more, we should ban felons and execute them.

Oh and liberals as well  Smile

saxdiva

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:34 pm

Uh-huh. You're new around here, aren't you?  Yeah sure

wukka

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:38 pm

Quoting ShowerOfSparks (Reply 8):

Oh and liberals as well

Nice one!  thumbsup 
We can agree to disagree.

nkops

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:24 pm

So you think someone can't buy them illegally off the street?? Let me take you to Camden NJ, you can pretty much get what you want.

What we should try to ban is stupid parents like the one above.
:evil:

Boeing Nut

Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:36 am

As the old saying goes, guns don't kill people....

Quoting ShowerOfSparks (Reply 8):

Now THAT would be constructive!

Quoting Queso (Reply 5):

I'm sure that pic has been posted many times here on A.net, but it's the first time for me. I found that absolutely freaking hilarious!!  bigthumbsup 
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

charlienorth

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:50 am

Maybe if we had better "truth in sentencing laws" this mope would have still been behind bars,as far as gun bans go I would only give mine up if the police and military would give them up too..it's only logical right? The gun ban crowd says crime would stop...oh brother
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

JGPH1A

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:02 am

Quoting Boeing Nut (Reply 12):
As the old saying goes, guns don't kill people....

...people with guns kill people.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Confuscius

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:16 am

"As the old saying goes, guns don't kill people...."

"...people with guns kill people."

Not really, bullet(s) kill people.
Ain't I a stinker?

EWRCabincrew

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:29 am

Always wanted to know where the parents all were when these kids go on shooting sprees.

Why the hell don't parents have more control/knowledge/access/accountability/involvement with their kids lives? Parents should sure as hell take part of the blame for this. Just like parents who let their kids have computers in their rooms and not out in the open so parents can keep an eye on what they do on the internet. If you don't want the involvement in your child's life, should have thought about it more when you were doing the deed to make them.

Banning guns isn't the answer. But making parents more culpable and liable is a good way to start.
You can't cure stupid

ShyFlyer

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:59 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 14):
...people with guns kill people.

...people with beer kill people.
...people with cars kill people.
...people with aircraft kill people.
...people with knives kill people.
...people with axes kill people.
...people with chainsaws kill people.
...people with bows & arrows kill people.
...people with bedsheets kill people.

Hell, if I thought about it enough, and with the proper motivation, I could probably kill someone with my farts.
I lift things up and put them down.

EWRCabincrew

Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:48 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 17):
I could probably kill someone with my farts

I have come close, myself.
You can't cure stupid

Queso

Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:39 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 5):

I'm sure that pic has been posted many times here on A.net, but it's the first time for me. I found that absolutely freaking hilarious!!

It was my pleasure! I save that picture for only the most fitting of occasions, and I thought Johnboy79's threadstarter was a particularly good match for it.

ltbewr

Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:27 am

The parent of this minor was a convicted felon and not allowed to possess any weapons with him or in his home. In this case, it was easy to arrest this particular wayward parent (I mean the guy served serious jail time, so what kind of parent was he in the first place?).
Still, the owner of the gun or the adult occupant (as named owner or named renter) where the guns were sourced from for a crime like this should also be put into jail for allowing their use as an accessory. There have been cases where minors in shooting acts in schools and on the street have broken into or got access to the keys for where their parent(s) stored the guns and ammo. Even where that is done, the parent should go to jail as they are responsible for any gun from their property. In any event, they should also face civil liability and lose their house and any assets for their acts of omission.

ilikeyyc

Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:23 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 20):
There have been cases where minors in shooting acts in schools and on the street have broken into or got access to the keys for where their parent(s) stored the guns and ammo. Even where that is done, the parent should go to jail as they are responsible for any gun from their property. In any event, they should also face civil liability and lose their house and any assets for their acts of omission.

I think that is a bit excessive. How is it that the parent should be responsible when the parent has made an effort to lock up the guns and the child has made a deliberate effort to contravine the actions of the parent? That is like saying you should go to jail if your kid steals the spare key to your car, takes the car without you knowing and causes an accident that kills someone else.
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

Duff44

Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:55 am

As the old saying goes, guns don't kill people...

rotfl 
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

canuckpaxguy

Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:51 am

No Gun ban is going to solve that problem. The illegal weapons will still be out there. . .

So then, are you suggesting NO action should be taken at all?

Using that logic, why make ANY laws? Why ban drugs? Why ban rape? People are still going to find drugs and people. Do you think it's a GOOD thing that you can do to downtown Anchorage, or anywhere else and pick up a firearm with ease?

... yet another BAN THE GUNS thread posted by the ignorant out of ignorance . . .

I find it wholly ironic that you'd make a comment like the one above and then accuse OTHERS of ignorance.

Many people feel QUITE strongly about guns in society. Even though a simple ban won't end the problem, it would AT LEAST be a step in the right direction. While I am well aware this problem won't be solved overnight, even a small and arguably symbollic gesture towards finding a solution is a GOOD thing.

The desire to ban guns is NOT ignorant.
I foolishly expected a bit better from you ANC.

G

charlienorth

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:39 am

A small and symbolic gesture that would violate the 2nd Amendmant to the Constitution,do that and that gives the ability to change or nullify the others,how about keeping the thugs off the streets,how about not releasing them on a technicality,no time for good behavior or religious conversion,too many of these judges are from the side that doesn't want honest,law abiding citizens to own firearms.

ilikeyyc

Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 23):
Using that logic, why make ANY laws? Why ban drugs? Why ban rape? People are still going to find drugs and people.

redflag  redflag  redflag 

BS. You can't compare them. Owning a gun is a constitutionally protected right in this country. Rape and drugs are not.

The "ban on drugs" is a perfect example of why a ban on guns wouldn't work. A ban on guns would only remove guns from the people who are already law abiding and don't use thier guns to commit crimes. The criminals out there wouldn't care. They are breaking the law when they break into a house, so they won't care if it is against the law to have a gun.

Thugs and home invaders are more scared of an armed homeowner than they are of the police. Besides, as mentioned above, its the person behind the gun, who misuses their right, that is the problem.

canuckpaxguy

Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:55 am

Quoting Ilikeyyc (Reply 25):
Besides, as mentioned above, its the person behind the gun, who misuses their right, that is the problem.

Ok, I can see your point to some extent. So what's the answer?

Assuming we can all agree that guns are a problem, what would you suggest happen in order to control the situation? If you say that the laws can't or shouldn't be amended, then what would you propose?

G

Queso

Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 26):
Assuming we can all agree that guns are a problem

Incorrect assumption, invalidating the rest of your argument.

[Edited 2006-10-16 00:05:04]

canuckpaxguy

Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:28 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 27):
Incorrect assumption, invalidating the rest of your argument.

It wasn't an argument. It was a question. I was hoping for a real answer.

If you honestly believe there is no problem with guns in society, then the problem is much worse than I once believed.

G

Queso

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:01 am

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 28):
If you honestly believe there is no problem with guns in society, then the problem is much worse than I once believed.

You're missing the point. The problem is not with the guns, it's with the people using them incorrectly.

ANCFlyer

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:35 am

So then, are you suggesting NO action should be taken at all?

Gun Ban action - NO. Put this assmonkey in jail for violating the law - YES.

... yet another BAN THE GUNS thread posted by the ignorant out of ignorance . . .

I find it wholly ironic that you'd make a comment like the one above and then accuse OTHERS of ignorance.

Why? Anyone thinking a ban on guns would have prevented this CONVICTED FELON from getting a gun is IGNORANT. Plain and simple. Period. Dot. Paragraph. End. Next.

The desire to ban guns is NOT ignorant.

No it's not. It's a difference of opinion.

However . . .

"Anyone thinking a ban on guns would have prevented this CONVICTED FELON from getting a gun "

. . . is ignorant.

Do you think it's a GOOD thing that you can do to downtown Anchorage, or anywhere else and pick up a firearm with ease?

Nope. But all the gun bans in the world will NOT prevent a criminal from getting a weapon. Thinking such is ignorant. Simple as that.

What a gun ban WILL do is prevent legal, law abiding citizens from getting a weapon. Which is a zero sum game, since the criminals will still get them. You will not have gained a thing.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

galapagapop

Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:43 am

Whether he's a convict or not, the parents that have kids get ahold of weapons and do stuff like this should be arrested anyway.

But alas its not hard to own a gun these days. Heck I've seen perfectly good revolvers and pistols just sitting at tag sales or antique stores, all ya need to do is get some ammo and your good to go. Personally I just see no point in owning a gun, don't think its all that macho either firing a trigger. Now swords on the otherhand...............  biggrin 

canuckpaxguy

Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:09 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 29):
You're missing the point. The problem is not with the guns, it's with the people using them incorrectly.

I got that Queso. I understand ANC's point too. I don't agree with it, but I don't have to.

The way I see it, you can only react once the guns are used "incorrectly". Violation of a gun ban gives authorities reason to take action before someone dies.

But for argument's sake, let's say you're right. Let's assume that a ban would be worthless. If that is the case, then what could / should we do to prevent people from using them "incorrectly"?

I'm not being argumentative, I'm serious. If banning guns doesn't help keep people safe, then what will? What do you suggest? You must have some idea about can be done to help curb gun violence in our countries.

G

aa757first

Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:10 pm

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 26):

Assuming we can all agree that guns are a problem, what would you suggest happen in order to control the situation? If you say that the laws can't or shouldn't be amended, then what would you propose?

Background checks, mandatory gun safety courses before you buy your first gun, registering the gun and showing proof that you had a safe and secure place to stow it would be a good start.

AAndrew

ANCFlyer

Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:24 pm

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 32):
then what could / should we do to prevent people from using them "incorrectly"?

Start with a serious, thorough background check. I don't mean this silly assed check they have now, I mean all the way live - as if you're trying to become an FBI agent or some such. Very thorough.

Require mandatory training on the weapon you want to purchase. And again, not some two or three day get together with your next door neighbor shooting tin cans in a gravel pit, rather a hard core, down and dirty, take it apart, put it together, qualify with it, training session that includes extensive gun safety classes.

Demonstrate that you have a proper place to store the weapon(s). And that it has limited (or NO) access for children. I don't mean sign a form that says "Yup, I got a gun case at home", I mean someone - a law enforcement official, etc - must see this storage unit, be it a gun safe or whatever.

Now, will that eliminate the incidents such as the one highlighted above? Nope. You will NEVER accomplish that. Will it reduce the incidents. Yes.

Still, however - we're back to my original comment.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 30):
"Anyone thinking a ban on guns would have prevented this CONVICTED FELON from getting a gun "

With a slight modification. "Anyone thinking that doing all of the things I mention in this thread would have prevented this CONVICTED FELON from getting a gun is ignorant".

Once again, it's the law abiding citizen that would take the classes, deal with the background check, provide the proper gun safe/storage facility. It's the assmonkey convicted felon, or lawbreaker, that would have the weapon sitting loaded in a hall closet or on the coffee table or on the bed stand or on the dresser . . . . .

See what I mean. It's still a zero sum game.

ilikeyyc

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:12 pm

I'm not being argumentative, I'm serious. If banning guns doesn't help keep people safe, then what will? What do you suggest? You must have some idea about can be done to help curb gun violence in our countries.

The answer is, as ANCFlyer points out, is that there is nothing that can be done to keep people 100% safe from guns. Whether guns are banned or not, there will always be some risk from them in one form or another.

You can regulate drivers and mandate safety features, but there will always be someone out there who will abuse the privilege (not a right) of driving and cause an accident because they were stupid (notice again that it is the human who is the problem).

charlienorth

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 am

But for argument's sake, let's say you're right. Let's assume that a ban would be worthless. If that is the case, then what could / should we do to prevent people from using them "incorrectly"?

Tougher sentencing for gun crimes.

MDorBust

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:12 am

He's a burglar, you figure it out.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

aaden

Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:01 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 30):

agreed

If you want to stop school shootings we should probably start teaching kids to respect one another? hmm just maybe....

Queso

Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:36 pm

Quoting AAden (Reply 38):
If you want to stop school shootings we should probably start teaching kids to respect one another? hmm just maybe....

We'd solve a helluva lot of problems if we did that, like robbery, rape, murder, carjackings, road rage, air rage, cutting in line at the grocery store, Fighting At Work (by Aerobalance Oct 17 2006 in Non Aviation)