dtwclipper

Air America Has Filed For Chapter 11

Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:50 pm

Air America Radio, a liberal talk and news radio network, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, a network official told The Associated Press.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/10/13/airamerica.radio.ap/index.html

let the bash fest begin!

[Edited 2006-10-13 16:57:41]
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

deltagator

RE: Air America Has Filed For Chapter 11

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:31 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Thread starter):
let the bash fest begin!

Nah, it's just not worth it. I think their main issue was taking folks with no real experience in radio and putting them on the air. Yes, they gave most of them a handler to guide them through things but the few times I listened in they just weren't entertaining. Add to that they just didn't have the listeners and the advertising to pay their way. How many places were they paying to be put on the airwaves? It was more than a few IIRC. Not a good business model if you ask me.

Personally, I've become unamused by talk radio as of late on both sides of the aisle. The blowhards on the right and left just yell and yammer on and call each other names and just generally piss me off anymore. I'll still listen to Boortz because he can be so insensitive that it's funny but the rest of the lot drive me bonkers.

The real question here is will the Dems (if they gain control of Congress) put the equal airtime stuff back into place. I say no since it is the role of the FCC to manage the airwaves and ensure that the broadcaster who has paid for that airwave can use it with no interference.

I could care less if you are on the radio talking about Nazis molesting poodles while wearing those damn Croc shoes. If you've paid for the license to that airwave it is your right to yammer on about whatever you want.

Sadly, the FCC doesn't seem to agree with my opinion and have taken a role as our thought and decency police. We'll just have to see what happens.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

AerospaceFan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:39 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Thread starter):
Air America Radio, a liberal talk and news radio network, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, a network official told The Associated Press.

My only regret is that this doesn't necessarily mean that it will go off the air.

Frankly, in my opinion, National Public Radio (NPR), which is center-left, is far more interesting than Air America. If listeners to Air America would give NPR a chance -- it's found on your FM dial -- it's likely that they would be better informed, less inflamed, and more educated, in my view, than what would result from a force-feeding of the likes of Randi Rhodes. As I see it, Randi Rhodes is nothing more than the left's equivalent of Ann Coulter at her most vicious.

What Air America has tried to do, I believe, is to create a "yahoo" culture of left-liberalism that echoes the wild abandon of the mileu of the 1960's. But America has changed since four decades ago -- not least of all because the 1960's have already occurred. And 2006 is less susceptible to political fun-and-games than back then; I think that 9/11 has proved that with a fairly significant degree of emphasis.

Besides, why, exactly, did Mike Malloy lose his place at Air America? There are various theories, and most of them are hardly flattering to AM radio's most leftist major network.

NPR is the closest that the United States has to the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), which is to praise neither the BBC nor NPR, but to say that Air America is, in my view, a continuing failure and a travesty. Air America is a horrible means by which the prejudices of the left are legitimized in the same way that those of the right are supported by borderline-demagogues with far more idealism than sense, and by supporters with far more enthusiasm than wisdom.

It cannot go off the air fast enough -- if only it would.

[Edited 2006-10-13 17:46:09]
What's fair is fair.

MaverickM11

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:51 am

I'll really miss not listening to them  Silly ...Not that I could ever find them on the radio in Texas...
E pur si muove -Galileo

Pope

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:53 am

I guess the free market has spoken.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

AerospaceFan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:24 am

Here are some alleged details of the Chapter 11 filing, including schedules filed with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1013062airamerica1.html

I'm going to guess that Air America's biggest star, Al Franken, whose company is owed hundreds of thousand and is entitled to priority as to only $10,000.00, going from the schedules, can't be too happy. I think he's said that he hasn't been paid for a while.

Mike Malloy is also named as a creditor, among dozens of others.

Millions of dollars of other liability on the part of Air America Radio (through its parent) are described, including to such famous names as Clear Channel, etc. Interesting reading.

I can't help noting that this bankruptcy filing comes after a denial a little while ago that Air America was going to do just that.

[Edited 2006-10-13 18:38:11]
What's fair is fair.

EA CO AS

Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:46 am

So much for Stuart Smalley Radio...  duck 
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

N1120A

Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:49 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 4):

More like the exact opposite.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

MDorBust

Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:52 am

EBIL BOOSH DID IT!!!
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

bushpilot

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:01 am

I honestly didnt realise they were still on the air. I heard about it when it first came out, then it fell of my radar, but that probably has something to do with the fact I live in the middle of nowhere, we do have a local radio station though, it does air NPR news...but mostly local stuff.

Queso

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:03 am

There is a God!

halls120

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:06 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 2):
What Air America has tried to do, I believe, is to create a "yahoo" culture of left-liberalism that echoes the wild abandon of the mileu of the 1960's. But America has changed since four decades ago -- not least of all because the 1960's have already occurred. And 2006 is less susceptible to political fun-and-games than back then; I think that 9/11 has proved that with a fairly significant degree of emphasis.

You can say the very same thing about many of the hosts of the extreme right wing radio programs - instead of creating a "yahoo" culture of left-liberalism, they have been intent of creating a culture of right-conservatism.

I understand you are conservative, but for crying out loud, you ought to at least be fair.

It cannot go off the air fast enough -- if only it would.

Don't like opposing viewpoints, eh? Sounds like you are a fan of fascism....

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
Quoting Pope (Reply 4):

More like the exact opposite.

How has the free market NOT spoken?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

AerospaceFan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:09 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 11):
You can say the very same thing about many of the hosts of the extreme right wing radio programs - instead of creating a "yahoo" culture of left-liberalism, they have been intent of creating a culture of right-conservatism.

I tend to agree, to some degree. I never quote Rush Limbaugh here, for example. And, as might be inferred from one of my postings, above, I think that Ann Coulter can go too far, despite the fact that I've defended some of her statements in the past.

Only if you disregard my comments about NPR, above, among many of my other comments in this Forum.

[Edited 2006-10-13 20:11:10]
What's fair is fair.

yowza

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:27 am

About time, Al Franken is an absolute retard and does nothing to but make Dems look bad.

texan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:34 am

Air America...you know, I listened to it a few times back in Dallas. It seemed to be WBAP's alter-ego: instead of Rush you have Malloy, who is just as much of an idiot (if he's the guy who was on around midnight); you have Hannity's opposite; you have O'Reilly's opposite. It is still just a bitch and moan station for the most part. It would have been better, in my opinion, if maybe they had tried constructing some ideas for how to improve our situation instead of just bashing it out of hand and decrying every conservative idea as evil before they even think it through. Not all of the hosts did this, just the ones who happened to be on as I drove to and from work. It is hypocritical, in my view, to blast the repugnant crap Rush throws out there and then throw the same bag of crap from the left side of the road. And don't get me wrong, I disagree with many ideas of our current conservative government (and Texas' conservative state government), but the ideas are not all bad. By looking at the ideas of your opposite, you might find that there are some facets that you could adopt to your position. Anyway, this rant has gone on long enough. Air America is not a bad idea, it just seems they forgot what they set out to do and what we needed them to do.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

ArtieFufkin

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:39 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 4):

True.

And when November 7th comes along and the GOP will be thrown out 20 seats, losing Congress and the Senate, the voters will have spoken.

Big wheel keep on turning.

EA CO AS

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:45 am

Quoting ArtieFufkin (Reply 15):
And when November 7th comes along and the GOP will be thrown out 20 seats, losing Congress and the Senate, the voters will have spoken.

We'll see, Artie. We'll see.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

UALPHLCS

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:48 am

If you really wanted to listen to liberal Talk radio all you have to do is listen to NPR, Which has survived on the Government dole and begging since the early seventies.

The problem with Air America is that unlike NPR they didn't depend on the Government, and isn't that what Liberals want people to do!
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

AerospaceFan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:51 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 14):
Air America is not a bad idea, it just seems they forgot what they set out to do and what we needed them to do.

Texan, you are quite right in this, may I say.

If only Air America would hire or prominently and consistently interview impartial experts in their respective fields, for example, then its listeners would stand to benefit.

It is a shame that the left does not sufficiently take into account its own critics. Nor does the national media give such critics the role they deserve in a debate where both sides of an issue should be heard, leaving each side to present only a biased viewpoint to such an extent that it may easily mislead an audience. For example, Michael Scheuer, author of Imperial Hubris and a critic of both the Bush and Clinton approaches to terrorism, has been extensively featured on at least one conservative radio talk show (the syndicated Larry Elder Show) for his statements that, during a forceful defense of his policy on Fox News Sunday, former President Clinton outright lied about the CIA's assessment concerning bin Laden. Scheuer should know -- he headed the CIA's bin Laden desk during former President Clinton's Administration.

On CBS's Early Show the morning after Pres. Clinton's comments, Scheuer had said that the accusation that the CIA had refused to certify bin Laden's role in terror attacks cited by Mr. Clinton was false and defamatory.

(Excerpt from a third source)

Quote:
In his role of CBS News terrorism analyst, Scheuer was asked Monday to comment on Clinton’s Sunday performance and provided more than his questioner apparently bargained for. To claim that the CIA could not verify that bin Laden was responsible for the attack on the USS Cole, said Scheuer, “the former president seems able to deny facts with impunity.”

Scheuer continued: “He defames the CIA . . . and the men and women who risked their lives to give their administration repeated chances to kill bin Laden.” Asked whether Bush was no less responsible for letting bin Laden escape from Tora Bora in Afghanistan, Scheuer replied: “The fact of the matter is that the Bush administration had one chance that they botched, and the Clinton administration had eight to 10 chances that they refused to try. At least at Tora Bora, our forces were on the ground.”

Scheuer was just interviewed by Larry Elder, a prominent Republican talk show host and attorney and reaffirmed those statements.

Air America, as far as I know, would never interview someone like Scheuer or give any quarter to the idea that Pres. Clinton was mistaken his policies on the war against terror. In fact, the mainstream national media, with the exception of the CBS program mentioned above, has not given Scheuer's claims their due. To see this, one need only execute a Google search.

Air America could still be a reasonable alternative to right-wing radio by dropping its partisan approach and allowing a bipartisan debate on the various issues of the day -- something that conservative talk radio does not often promote.

Instead, Air America has turned to comedians such as Al Franken and so-called "young turks" for nothing less than the leftist version of Rush Limbaugh. For this, it deserves to fail, in my view.

Citation to article serving as third source:

http://www.mexiadailynews.com/opinio...124817.html?keyword=secondarystory

[Edited 2006-10-13 20:58:25]
What's fair is fair.

halls120

Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:27 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 12):

Only if you disregard my comments about NPR, above, among many of my other comments in this Forum.

SAying you are glad they are off the air comes pretty close. Tells me that while you are OK with middle of the road liberalism a la NPR, you would rather not have really liberal content on the air.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 16):

We'll see, Artie. We'll see.

I belive Artie is correct with regard to the House, and possibly even the Senate, though the latter will be a tough one.

In any event, it won't matter. In the immortal words of Pete Townshend, as sung by Roger Daltrey, "Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss."

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 17):
If you really wanted to listen to liberal Talk radio all you have to do is listen to NPR, Which has survived on the Government dole and begging since the early seventies.

The problem with Air America is that unlike NPR they didn't depend on the Government, and isn't that what Liberals want people to do!

checkmark 
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

NWA742

Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:37 am

Awwwww, that's too bad.  cry 

rotfl 

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

ArtieFufkin

Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:58 am

Let's just say for sake of argument that NPR is a liberal program. Has no redeeming qualities.

This is a great example of where blue collar right wingers are just not sophisticated enough to know what's in their interest and what's not in their interest.

The amount of money NPR gets is so incredibly tiny compared to the Billions squandered on a bogus war. Compared to the money GOPers gave in tax cuts to oil companies. Jesus Christ, they proposed a social security program that would cut your kids SS payments by 40% (with the private accounts). The present program could have been fully funded if they had raised the SS tax cap on those making over $250K per year. And all you can come up with is NPR, flag burning, and Defense of marriage act...LOL

AirWillie6475

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:04 am

I'm not into talk radio. Personally I think it's a waste of time, most keep talking about the same issues over and over. We had to listen to political radio for a pols class and talk about what we heard. The left talk shows seemed almost childish, kind of like the high school radio stations, filled with stupid jokes and heavy radio sound effects. Almost 99% of the time they were negative about everything that is going on right now, top of that the callers were NEVER against the host, you would never hear a person on the right call in to defend. On the other hand the right talk shows were a little more boring but at least they talked with some common sense about the issues and 90% of the time callers were people on the left trying to go against the host. Something that I don't get is why left shows never get peole to call in to object??

NWA742

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:09 am

Quoting ArtieFufkin (Reply 21):
This is a great example of where blue collar right wingers are just not sophisticated enough to know what's in their interest

You're absolutely right. It's not like they are having all these issues because most of us, left and right, don't want to hear their extremist views. No, nothing like that at all.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

AerospaceFan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:11 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 19):
SAying you are glad they are off the air comes pretty close. Tells me that while you are OK with middle of the road liberalism a la NPR, you would rather not have really liberal content on the air.

I hope Air America is kicked off the air not because of its left-liberalism, but because I think it's garbage. If it so happens that I think that it's the left-liberalism that makes it garbage, then that's my prerogative. I'm not obligated to be unhappy that it could be off the air out of a sense that I should be nice to everyone: Not everyone is entitled to be on the air.

[Edited 2006-10-13 22:23:18]
What's fair is fair.

Pope

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:17 am

True.

Big wheel keep on turning.

Just one question - if this doesn't happen they way you think it will, does that imply that American has spoken and rejected the Democratic party yet again?

I think the DNC has to be careful not to count it's chickens before they hatch. Remember, your last national candidate lost to what you guys termed "the village idiot".
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

ArtieFufkin

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:20 am

nwa742

I wasn't clear in my post who I was replying to. My blurb you quoted was in response to the poster bashing NPR. Like it's some big deal. All liberal all the time. My public radio has been playing jazz and folk all day long. How many times today has Hannity and Limbaugh smeared Dems.....20? 30? Yet NPR is playing jazz.....LOL

Yes really an equivelence to NPR and right wing radio.

AerospaceFan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:31 am

Apparently over at the Air America message boards, they're discussing up a storm about the Chapter 11 thing. Or maybe not.

See:

http://www.airamericaplace.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=18340

(Only four total postings in that thread as of this writing.) [EDIT: See addendum in this message, below.]

Could it have something to do with the fact that the bankruptcy filing is not mentioned on Air America's official blog -- or its formal Internet home page? I don't know. But please see, e.g.:

http://www.airamerica.com/

You wouldn't know that it had filed for bankruptcy from reading that, as of this writing.

Heck, they could at least try some happy talk: "Sorry we said that we wouldn't file for bankruptcy, folks, but something fell through at the last moment and we had to do it. But we're still here, and we think we'll be here for a long time yet. See you on the radio!" Something like that.

But no.

[EDIT] Addendum: There's a separate thread I just found at the message boards over there. Apparently they're not as strict about having more than one thread on the same topic as we are here. That thread has 55 total messages as of this writing. Please see:

http://www.airamericaplace.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=17861

[Edited 2006-10-13 22:40:05]
What's fair is fair.

DLPMMM

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:31 am

This is a great example of where blue collar right wingers are just not sophisticated enough to know what's in their interest and what's not in their interest.

This statement exemplifies the biggest problem of the far left wing. They seem to feel that all decisions should be made by government bureaucrats (meaning other left wingers) because the average citizen is too stupid to know what is best for them.

Sorry Artie, but I would take the common sense of a blue collar over your elitist ideology every time. Your statement exposed your underlying contempt for the common man.

andessmf

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:32 am

And I assume that you are smart enough to know what is better for all Americans? I mean, that is a pretty condescending and disgusting attitude on your part. And now you just confirmed to me the type of person you really are.

halls120

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:38 am

The amount of money NPR gets is so incredibly tiny compared to the Billions squandered on a bogus war.

Bad argument. If government shouldn't be funding it, it shouldn't be funded.

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 24):
Not everyone is entitled to be on the air.

Really? Who IS entitled to be on the air, in your view?

AerospaceFan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 30):
Really? Who IS entitled to be on the air, in your view?

Anyone who can make money at it and who doesn't espouse blind hatred or puerile garbage.

You know, Michael Savage, on the right, sometimes crosses the line into blind hatred or puerile garbage, or both, and sometimes I despise him for doing so. I rarely listen to him anymore, even though I purchased a book of his that I like.

[Edited 2006-10-13 23:00:07]
What's fair is fair.

ArtieFufkin

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:43 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 28):
Sorry Artie, but I would take the common sense of a blue collar over your elitist ideology every time. Your statement exposed your underlying contempt for the common man.

43% of these dumbasses think Saddam was involved in 9/11. How could you not have contempt for Bush's base?

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 30):
Bad argument. If government shouldn't be funding it, it shouldn't be funded.

Hall want don't you get about me saying just before that "Let's just say for the sake of argument NPR is liberal and without reedming qualities"?

AerospaceFan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:45 am

(Note: The following is SATIRE.)

By the way, if you're concerned about Air America's financial health, you, too, can ask Barbra Streisand and George Soros to "bale out" [sic] Air America.

Just sign the following petition, and it's possible that they will listen. Maybe.

Please see:

http://www.petitiononline.com/baleout/petition.html

Interestingly, just now, they showed Cindy Sheehan on Tucker Carlson's show on MSNBC. This impels me to suggest that the following appear on a fundraiser for Air America:

1. Randi Rhodes (who's been referred to by an Air America poster as a "dumb b*tch" (without the asterisk), so watch the sparks fly!);

2. Al Franken;

3. Senator John Kerry;

4. Senator Hillary Clinton;

5. Former President Bill Clinton;

6. The Dixie Chicks (in a non-singing, non-entertaining role; oops, was that redundant?);

7. Cindy Sheehan;

8. Michael Moore;

With a special guest appearance from his cell in Baghdad by:

9. Saddam Hussein;

And the song stylings of:

10. Barbra Streisand, featuring her hit single, "You Don't Love Me, Anymore".

Sponsored by: MoveOn.org. At MoveOn.org, Winning Is Only For Losers!

Note: Ms. Streisand may be accompanied by James Brolin, sometimes known as "Mr. Barbra Streisand". Please do not pester same.

[Edited 2006-10-13 23:16:09]
What's fair is fair.

ArtieFufkin

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:47 am

Oh and another thing about the common man? The common man is coming home from the military and signing up to run as Dems to the tune of 24 to 1 this election cycle.

So you can put the GOP loves the common man bullshit to rest.

andessmf

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting ArtieFufkin (Reply 32):
How could you not have contempt for Bush's base?

Keep digging the hole, Artie...(be careful, too, you are almost in China)

Quoting ArtieFufkin (Reply 34):
The common man is coming home from the military and signing up to run as Dems to the tune of 24 to 1 this election cycle.

Source?

So you can put the GOP loves the common man bullshit to rest.

Please, you already showed how much you 'liked' the common man above, and you are not GOP.

ArtieFufkin

Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:02 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 35):
Source?

Run away little boy. As if my credible source would make a dent in your ideology. Google it yourself.

AerospaceFan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:06 am

The common man is coming home from the military and signing up to run as Dems to the tune of 24 to 1 this election cycle.

Actually, re-enlistment rates are fairly high, so I'm not sure of the accuracy of your statement.

Quoting ArtieFufkin (Reply 36):
Run away little boy. As if my credible source would make a dent in your ideology. Google it yourself.

That was uncalled-for, might I say. AndesSMF is a respected member of Airliners.net. Could I ask that we please stay on topic regarding Air America, as the latest turn of events regarding its financial dilemma is of much more legitimate interest.
What's fair is fair.

andessmf

Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:09 am

Quoting ArtieFufkin (Reply 36):
Run away little boy

You are managing to totally fulfill my expectations today!

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

halls120

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 31):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 30):Really? Who IS entitled to be on the air, in your view?Anyone who can make money at it and who doesn't espouse blind hatred or puerile garbage.

I sure am glad you aren't an FCC Commissioner or in Congress. Garbage and hatred might be objectionable to you, but you aren't the arbiter of broadcast standards.....thank goodness.

Quoting ArtieFufkin (Reply 32):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 30):Bad argument. If government shouldn't be funding it, it shouldn't be funded.Hall want don't you get about me saying just before that "Let's just say for the sake of argument NPR is liberal and without reedming qualities"?

I get it just fine. Your argument remains irrelevant - whether something is liberal or conservative isn't the issue. The issue is, should government be funding radio or TV broadcasts. To me, the answer is clearly no.

AerospaceFan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:51 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 39):
I sure am glad you aren't an FCC Commissioner or in Congress. Garbage and hatred might be objectionable to you, but you aren't the arbiter of broadcast standards.....thank goodness.

That's marginally interesting, and quite beside the point. Everyone has the ability to decide for themselves whether or not they like a radio offering, or whether they they think it stinks.

I'm not going to say, for example, that even though I dislike Howard ("King of All Media") Stern's programs, I think they should be broadcast regardless of any other factor, including my own preferences. If I don't like something that's broadcast, I'll damn well say so. It's good thing that I'm not an FCC Commissioner and can actually these things; in fact, since most people aren't FCC Commissioners, let alone Members of Congress, I would daresay I'm hardly unique in this ability.

I think that you may be confusing government prohibition of broadcast from a citizen's right to take pleasure in the fact that a piece of garbage, in his view, may soon be off the air.

[Edited 2006-10-14 00:52:51]
What's fair is fair.

halls120

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:39 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 40):
I think that you may be confusing government prohibition of broadcast from a citizen's right to take pleasure in the fact that a piece of garbage, in his view, may soon be off the air.

I'm confusing nothing.

When I come across a TV show or a radio program I find objectionable, I change the channel/station. I don't suggest that it is "puerile garbage" or "hatred" and suggest that it doesn't have a right to be broadcast.

You, on the other hand, would prefer that it not be broadcast at all. Despite your backsliding assertion that now you are only "taking pleasure...that...it may soon be off the air."

Nice try, though.

AerospaceFan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:41 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 41):
When I come across a TV show or a radio program I find objectionable, I change the channel/station. I don't suggest that it is "puerile garbage" or "hatred" and suggest that it doesn't have a right to be broadcast.

That's your prerogative. You certainly can't reasonably believe that no one else is entitled to think differently.

If something can't make money and is pure hatred or puerile garbage, then why does it have the right to be on the air? And by "right", again, I'm not talking about legalities. I'm talking about why I should support its existence. If I don't like it, and I think it's blind hatred or garbage, and it doesn't make money for anyone, it'd be rather stupid for me to support it. I'd rather see it gone.

Does it mean that I want government to censor it? Of course not. But that's a completely differently question. I don't want government to do a lot of things. But the people -- which includes me -- certainly have a right to be happy if certain things occur.

[Edited 2006-10-14 02:46:12]
What's fair is fair.

halls120

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:50 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 42):
That's your prerogative. You certainly can't believe that no one else is entitled to think differently.

You are free to think/believe what you want.

If something can't make money and is pure hatred or puerile garbage, then why does it have the right to be on the air? And by "right", again, I'm not talking about legalities. I'm talking about why I should support its existence.

What does making money have to do with the right to be on the air?

And by "right", again, I'm not talking about legalities. I'm talking about why I should support its existence.

LOL, changing your tune now, I see. Now you are just saying you shouldn't be required to support Air America's existence. Which is NOT your original position. In case you have forgotten, here it is: "It cannot go off the air fast enough -- if only it would."

gunsontheroof

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:55 am

Frankly, in my opinion, National Public Radio (NPR), which is center-left, is far more interesting than Air America.

Absolutely agreed.

Quoting Pope (Reply 4):

Chalk up another victory for free-market capitalism...boo-yah.

Seriously though, is it really any surprise that a leftist radio station dependent on advertising would file for bankruptcy? Just how many big name advertisers out there do you think are going to put up money for ad slots on a radio station whose pundits decry the politicians who keep them rich? Succesful leftist news programs (Democracy Now!, Free Speech Radio, etc.) have always been listener supported, and I'm inclined to believe that most left-leaning folk are inclined to support them rather than listen to ad-funded programing on Air America.

AerospaceFan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:38 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 43):
LOL, changing your tune now, I see. Now you are just saying you shouldn't be required to support Air America's existence. Which is NOT your original position. In case you have forgotten, here it is: "It cannot go off the air fast enough -- if only it would."

That's my original position, all right. I want it to get off the air, and soon.

Why is that inconsistent with my lack of support for the network? You seem to think that may calling for it to be kicked off the air, by the station owners, involves some kind of legal or economic coercion. But I never suggested any such thing. The fact that station owners may want to throw out Al Franken and the rest of the motley crew has nothing to do with economic coercion, but is simply a matter of good economic sense. If something doesn't make money, then it has no "right" to remain on the air.

Let me remind you what I've said:

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 24):
I hope Air America is kicked off the air not because of its left-liberalism, but because I think it's garbage. If it so happens that I think that it's the left-liberalism that makes it garbage, then that's my prerogative. I'm not obligated to be unhappy that it could be off the air out of a sense that I should be nice to everyone: Not everyone is entitled to be on the air.

I'm not going to say, for example, that even though I dislike Howard ("King of All Media") Stern's programs, I think they should be broadcast regardless of any other factor, including my own preferences. If I don't like something that's broadcast, I'll damn well say so.

What's fair is fair.

AerospaceFan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:39 am

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 44):

Quote:
Frankly, in my opinion, National Public Radio (NPR), which is center-left, is far more interesting than Air America.

Absolutely agreed.

I'm glad we agree!
What's fair is fair.

halls120

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:07 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 45):
You seem to think that may calling for it to be kicked off the air, by the station owners, involves some kind of legal or economic coercion.

Not at all.

Calling for Air America to be kicked off the air is not the same as taking pleasure that it "may soon be off the air."

So which is it - are you actively advocating for Air America to be removed from the airwaves, or just taking pleasure in the fact it may soon leave the air?

And what does making money have to do with the right to be on the air?

AerospaceFan

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:23 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 47):
Calling for Air America to be kicked off the air is not the same as taking pleasure that it "may soon be off the air."

So which is it - are you actively advocating for Air America to be removed from the airwaves, or just taking pleasure in the fact it may soon leave the air?

Both. Station owners should kick the network off the air because it's unprofitable, absent contractual obligations to the contrary. Of course, if they don't, that's their prerogative, but if I were them, I'd do it in a New York, post-9/11 minute.

And as to what money has to do with it, if a network doesn't make money, it has no abstract right in my view to require that it should exist or be carried simply for the sake of political balance, or any other reason. Of course, if it does make money, it has the moral right to argue, with persuasoin, that exclusion of it from the airwaves is unfair. All this is aside from any matter of legalities. It may be that certain stations are contractually required to carry the network regardless of the fact that it's losing money. That's certainly a different story.
What's fair is fair.

AirCop

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:28 am

Well presented arguments. Apparently we have an individual that just doesn't understand the concept of "freedom of speech". Must drive him crazy that while Air America is having problems the progessive programs but out by Jones Broadcasting (Ed Schultz among others) are doing quite well and in some markets are picked up by the champion of the right Clear Channel.